Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

BMW boxers are like big luxury car engines. They might get you there smoothly and comfortably but they're not gonna handle great or be a lot of fun.

Someone's never experienced a Jag V12 for the 7 minutes it runs before needing a new timing chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BMW boxers are like big luxury car engines. They might get you there smoothly and comfortably but they're not gonna handle great or be a lot of fun. And the modern ones are so tall and heavy as to be just an annoyance. The older ones were at least low to the ground so they felt better at low speed and for people under 6'4".

The hosed up thing is that BMW cars are super smooth at all speeds and handle great for their size.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Knowing your height drastically changes my perception of any bike you feel cramped on.

How tall do you think I am :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

How tall do you think I am :v:

Someone said 5'2" with too much torso

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Someone said 5'2" with too much torso

I'm within plus or minus a foot of that, yeah.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I changed the oil in my DRZ because I realized I hadn't written down the mileage the last time I did it. I also installed a quick-turn throttle because I hate having to re-adjust on the highway all the time. Then for a test ride, I rode down my alley a bit in shorts, a tshirt, and my riding boots (because shifting in the flip-flops I had on felt weird).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

I'm within plus or minus a foot of that, yeah.

Me too!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Installed the new upper triple (SV650N triple) and risers, new handle bar, longer clutch cable (also from SVN), rerouted throttle and choke cables, and am now 90% done with my clipons->bars conversion, just waiting on the drat Galfer SS brake lines I ordered, as the stock SVS brake lines are too short for reaching up to bars. Stupid seller I bought the lines from still hasn't shipped them (it's been 6 days, if they don't ship tomorrow I'm filing a dispute with ebay and just ordering them from someone else).

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

new front fender.

oil report back. Seems its sucking dirt somewhere. good to see the jetting is alright as well as the coolant pump not leaking internally.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wow, neat! I'm gonna get one of those kits.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
New brake pads. Hopefully they last more than 6000 miles. (they will; the old ones still have meat left and they are at 12,500)

Pretty easy job. Undo the pin, lube it, set it aside. Undo one brake bolt, loosen the other. Pivot caliper. Slide out pads, slide in pads, reassemble in reverse.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
went ahead and tossed in the big bore. Its now a 470cc drz. Need to rejet, but mein gott in himmel.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Valves adjusted. Gonna ride quite a bit tomorrow, we'll see how it runs. Everything was tighter than spec but at least the cams weren't riding the valves open.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 14, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

went ahead and tossed in the big bore. Its now a 470cc drz. Need to rejet, but mein gott in himmel.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAJUZRjGLo
(you need sound to hear the clicking)

edit:
Turns out someone was cheapo last ball bearing change and used ones with only dirt shield on the outside, so inside the hub they where only protected by grease. The failed side had big rust discolouration both on the bearing and also over on the internal spacer/sleeve. The good side also had some rust spots and some droplets of oily water with rust colour. These are rims I bought as spares as the old ones got the aluminium rust (too much zinc in the alu blend is the theory on transalp forums). The bearings looked fine, and they lasted 15k miles for me, but I don't know how old they where.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 14, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

new front fender.

oil report back. Seems its sucking dirt somewhere. good to see the jetting is alright as well as the coolant pump not leaking internally.

"Your yellow... uh... Suzuki"

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

BMW boxers are like big luxury car engines. They might get you there smoothly and comfortably but they're not gonna handle great or be a lot of fun. And the modern ones are so tall and heavy as to be just an annoyance. The older ones were at least low to the ground so they felt better at low speed and for people under 6'4".

I hope I don't come across as a fanboy, but the R Nine T really isn't like that at all and I think it performs better as a sport bike than my VFR800 ever did.

I did drive a R 1200 R once and hated it. The R Nine T feels so complexity different. Maybe it's the exception to the rule?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

I've ~new S model into it. :negative:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

"Your yellow... uh... Suzuki"

that ruled, I expected em to ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xbrFDI-Xg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rilpqmJ2Zzg
(loving auto-decomp fell apart in my hand. rip starter clutch)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

New plugs, carbs re-rejetted, floats adjusted, carbs and tank reinstalled, seems to run well with no more lean pop on deceleration. Time to go for a ride, right?

Outside temperature: 41 degrees.

That sucks. How much of a PITA is a starter clutch job on a DRZ?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

No. 6 posted:

I hope I don't come across as a fanboy, but the R Nine T really isn't like that at all and I think it performs better as a sport bike than my VFR800 ever did.

I did drive a R 1200 R once and hated it. The R Nine T feels so complexity different. Maybe it's the exception to the rule?
Never ridden an R9T but I've ridden pretty much every other boxer ever made and never once did I think to myself "this feels like a performance machine" so that's a little hard for me to believe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAJUZRjGLo
(you need sound to hear the clicking)

edit:
Turns out someone was cheapo last ball bearing change and used ones with only dirt shield on the outside, so inside the hub they where only protected by grease. The failed side had big rust discolouration both on the bearing and also over on the internal spacer/sleeve. The good side also had some rust spots and some droplets of oily water with rust colour. These are rims I bought as spares as the old ones got the aluminium rust (too much zinc in the alu blend is the theory on transalp forums). The bearings looked fine, and they lasted 15k miles for me, but I don't know how old they where.

I think I'm more insanely jealous of your bike than any other on this forum and I think it's a sign of turning into a middle aged anorak. But I don't care. It's like the toyota land cruiser of bikes, never sell it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Changed the oil, set the tire pressure, cleaned the air filter, ripped some wheelies, ready 2 race 2morrow

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Valves adjusted. Gonna ride quite a bit tomorrow, we'll see how it runs. Everything was tighter than spec but at least the cams weren't riding the valves open.

Burned an entire tank of gas cruising around today. Going over a week without riding makes the first ride out of the neighborhood feel like the first time again ZOOM ZOOM :rice:. The 500 certainly feels a lot better, sounds like a little :3: sewing machine, but there's still some bogging bullshit in the 5-6.5k range when I pin the throttle from cruising throttle. However, it's definitely much less pronounced than it was before. I should have done a carb balance after the valve adjustment but I still haven't made/bought a balancer.

I tried to get away with re-using the o-rings for the water pipes that go into the head, but after I got the thing all buttoned up I noticed steam from coolant seeping out of the left head well drain hole, so I had to go back in there after a quick trip to my storage unit to grab my o-ring kit.

The bike also has a significantly extended warmup time, I'm thinking thermostat could probably stand to be replaced, as I saw full flow from the housing when I was topping off the rad with the engine running.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 14, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Finished welding up a bracket to hold the gauges and new headlight/turn signals. Chopped the factory SVS gauge cluster and fairing bracket up, keeping the part that bolts to the headstock, and the part that the gauges bolt onto, tossing the rest of the extraneous fairing framing, and welded in a new middle section that holds the gauges up higher to clear the new, higher handlebars and risers, and added in a bracket to hold the headlight bucket along with some holes to pop the new turn signals into. Once I was done I wirewheeled it to clean all the slag and flux residue off, and sprayed it with black plastidip, since I wanted a coating that would be durable enough to resist getting rock chipped easily.

Not the prettiest thing, but it is sturdy, mostly made out of 1/8" steel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nicely done!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Drove my street triple 13 and a half hours on I80 yesterday. The bike was smooth and amazing the whole way through and I had the time lapse on my sena 10c running the whole time, hopefully the footage is good.

Motorcycle road trips even on boring roads are really peaceful and relaxing.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

Changed the oil, set the tire pressure, cleaned the air filter, ripped some wheelies, ready 2 race 2morrow

Please tell me that massive (Harley?) brake rotor is going on this.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Deeters posted:

Please tell me that massive (Harley?) brake rotor is going on this.

It is and also it is from a Harley too. I have to figure out how to mount the caliper and true the wheel still. Caliper is a 2 piston off an 86 cr250 and is narrow enough to clear the spokes. Disc is slightly too wide so the pads will need to be trimmed like a half mm

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That could have ended worse. (HP fuel line)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Got the front end all assembled and wired up the lights.

Just waiting for my SS brake lines to arrive, and started measuring and cutting for the new license plate/turn signal bracket I need to put on the rear, since the PO was thoughful enough to just sawzall the original fender off and zip tie the plate onto the stump. Nothing like a DSPO who does a DIY tail tidy that looks shittier and messier than factory.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Now the screws that hold the little oil filter mesh in are stuck too. How does something that spends its' whole life soaked in oil get stuck :bang:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Now the screws that hold the little oil filter mesh in are stuck too. How does something that spends its' whole life soaked in oil get stuck :bang:

Congrats, just for next time though, you're supposed to be flipping off the extracted screw in the picture.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed a grab rail on the Striple, the wife did not like riding on it without one.

Since I was already putting an order in, also picked up the Triumph off road exhaust, which I think is a steal at $160. Haven't fired it up yet since I still need to load the map for the new cans, but based on youtube videos it should sound pretty drat good.

e: Loaded the new map. Cans sound goooooood.

opengl fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 18, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can remove the timing retard at lower RPM with TuneECU, also.

And you can drop in 675 cams then flash 675 tables over the STR ones for an extra like 10hp up top and no loss down low.
I had a 2006 675 that I put a 2009 675 motor (more power) in but left the 2006 electronics to run. Made my own map for the 06 ECU from an 09 map. Fun times.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 18, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Finished welding together and installing the new license plate/turn signal bracket to replace the PO's hacked up and ziptied attempt at a tail tidy.

Last thing left is epoxying together the cracks in the rear plastics and putting them back on, and installing the new SS front brake line when it gets here thursday.

e: and figuring out what I'm going to do for a license plate light, since the PO also hacked that off and I'll need one if I want to ride at night.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

New can! Still trying to figure out how I'm going to bodge together a mount for it. There's a very beefy mount hidden behind it that the old exhaust was bolted directly to, hopefully I'll be able to find a way to use that. I'll be raiding the Homeless Despot for all manner of hardware to see if I can get something to work well enough.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
I rode it 1012 miles and turned my 9 day trip into a 7 day one. I woke up in a State Park in Idaho yesterday and had a meal in SLC. When I went to use the bathroom, I had a look at myself in the mirror and could not believe how haggard I looked. Dirty matted down hair, sunburned face, skin breaking out, bloodshot eyes, gear splattered in bug guts. I had just come from "scenic" Idaho and the Salt Lake was a grey muddy disappointment, so I I said fudge it and rode home to the Bay Area overnight. :shobon:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're putting scenic in quotes, you weren't north enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Definitely not north enough. I'd come in through Boise and was hoping to pop into Yellowstone, but the ride was longer than I thought and no camping was available, so I went south instead. That whole leg of the trip was improvised, so that's what happens when you don't plan ahead.