Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So those of you who are following a 1x5 deadlift thing: just cuz you're only doing 5 reps doesn't mean you should overdo it. I overdo'd it on Friday and on my way back down for the final rep, a loud pop happened in my right hip, my back and right knee gave out, and I had to drop the bar. After panicking over whether I'd be paralyzed, the doctor said I sprained my lower back. Today my lower back feels better, but I have a lot of tingling/numbness in my right leg whenever I put any weight on it, my right leg is significantly weaker than my left, and I can't move my hips forward of my shoulders without a lot of pain in my lower back. My follow-up is scheduled for ~3 hours from now and I still feel really loving stupid. I'm not worried about being paralyzed anymore, but I'm worried about having the mobility of a 70 year-old man 40 years too soon.

Don't overdo it, AI.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

How do you all decide whether or not major work is worth doing on a car?

My car (2001 Saab 9-5, ~180k miles) has needed a new timing chain since before I bought it, and up until this point I've pretty much just been ignoring it, but if I'm actually going to do something about it, it should probably be in the next couple months or so. Its a remove the engine job*, so along with that I'd probably do the oil pump (probably reconditioning rather than replacement), water pump, crankshaft seals, and maybe a few other things while its out.

However, I'm a fairly inexperienced home mechanic so removing an engine is a very daunting thing to me. Ideally I'd convince my dad and uncle to help me (and let me use their space and equipment), but they have their own lives and I wouldn't want to inconvenience them too much.

The car is in pretty decent shape for its age and mileage, with some body rust around the rear wheel arches, but frame rust is very minimal for a car that's spent most of its life in Minnesota. I think the car has many more years of life in it if this operation is done.

If I decide to go ahead and do it, would 8 days be a reasonable amount of time to budget for the operation for a first time engine puller? I'm thinking 2 for removal, 2 for the projects, 2 for refitting, and 2 as a buffer in case things go awry.

Total parts cost would be between $300-$400, for the timing and balance kit, water pump kit, and oil pump kit (if that's even needed).

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not, in your opinion, $400 and a week of time is worth spending on a 15 year old car made by a dead company with nearly 200,000 miles.

e: I'd also want to buy new hardware and gaskets for the intake/exhaust manifolds, coming to between $30-$40. I'm sure there's other parts too.
If you really love the car, that's totally worth it and I would do that in a heartbeat. If you're indifferent towards the car, skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Coming up on my 90 day evaluation in a couple weeks. I hope it goes well abd they decide to take me on permanately. Been busting my and so I am feeling confident.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Coming up on my 90 day evaluation in a couple weeks. I hope it goes well abd they decide to take me on permanately. Been busting my and so I am feeling confident.

You need to ace that evaluation, or I'm taking you off my Christmas card list.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo. So much for a short day. The loving lineman who got hired the same day as me is averaging one giant gently caress up outage a week. Looks like I'll be out all night again.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Phone posted:

29ers are fuckin' fun as poo poo to ride around downtown. Like I'm cool with popping up curbs on my normal roadbike, but I know it's murder on the wheelset. 29ers do not give a gently caress.

Just make sure you can lockout the front suspension though because it will zap all of your power if you're trying to actually put the power down.

Now I want a 29er. gently caress.

Not to make things harder on you but I have an ~8 year old 29er hardtail Fischer and like it lot. It does feel big on more tight technical trails but I like it for everything else. I always forget to lock the front though. :downsgun:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

If you really love the car, that's totally worth it and I would do that in a heartbeat. If you're indifferent towards the car, skip it.

I do love the car. Its been very good to me. Its actually the first car I've owned. Yes I bought a high mileage saab as my first car with limited wrenching experience. It has taught me a lot.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I do love the car. Its been very good to me. Its actually the first car I've owned. Yes I bought a high mileage saab as my first car with limited wrenching experience. It has taught me a lot.
Best way to learn! :cheers: Shoot me a PM when this thing kicks off and I can come lend a hand if my schedule allows.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I really like my 29er. Do want a full suspension bike though for fun rides and rougher trails. This is great but it is best suited to xc racing on smoothish trails. New kona hei hei looks really good.

https://vimeo.com/166908299

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

a mobile dev company that I was super excited about applying to contacted me for a 30 minute conference call with a couple of their programmers to ask questions then give me a problem that I write some code for and email to them

I'm nervous as gently caress about it, especially after blowing it on that online technical skills quiz that I took last week and I want to study up on iOS/android fundamentals.

i really want to get a mobile dev job because it'll never be boring computer janitoring and its in a great part of town near where I'm moving to, so this would be an amazing opportunity as long as my stupid lizard brain doesn't gently caress me over again

Don't sweat it too much. I'm coming up on 10 years in my business (embedded SW) and it's gotten to the point where I'm asked to sit in on interviews in a pinch.

The reason why you're being asked to do a problem is not because the problem needs a solution. It's to see how you work, how attentive to details you are, how you approach problems, how you deal with hitting the wall etc.

Be smart but relaxed, be honest without being self-destructive and think aloud.

Finally, don't forget that this is also you interviewing them.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

bolind posted:

Don't sweat it too much. I'm coming up on 10 years in my business (embedded SW) and it's gotten to the point where I'm asked to sit in on interviews in a pinch.

The reason why you're being asked to do a problem is not because the problem needs a solution. It's to see how you work, how attentive to details you are, how you approach problems, how you deal with hitting the wall etc.

Be smart but relaxed, be honest without being self-destructive and think aloud.

Finally, don't forget that this is also you interviewing them.
Totally forgot about this, but the company will care way more about your approach to troubleshooting than whether you finally find an answer.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
I remember some phone conversations here a couple months ago, and if somebody could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

I just got a 2nd Gen Moto X (2014) and it's running vanilla Marshmallow on it (6.0, no 6.0.1 update) and it seems a little bland, as well as missing some features like call blocking and better app control. I've started to go down the rabbit hole of ROMs, but I don't know a ton about which ones are good. I was leaning towards Cyanogenmod, probably because it's the only name I recognized. Is that still a good choice? Their latest "stable" builds are in the CM12 series, which seems to be based on Lollipop, and there are only "nightly" builds for CM 13 (MM). I am not an uber phone hacker, I just want something with a little more control that won't crash on me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For whatever its worth, I messed around a bit with customizing the OS of my phone with cyanogenmod and the like...

Then one day I said gently caress it and let it install the 'regular' OS and have never been happier. I guess it comes down to:
1. Can I surf the web
2. Can I stream music/video
3. Can I make calls
4. Can it go on facebook, awful forums, whatever

If the answer is yes to all those, then the 'regular' OS is just fine by me and i don't ever have to worry or gently caress with it. It's surprisingly liberating and or cathartic for it to just work. Which I suppose is why I've gone to the dark side and use all Apple products these days.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

Yeah I really like my 29er. Do want a full suspension bike though for fun rides and rougher trails. This is great but it is best suited to xc racing on smoothish trails. New kona hei hei looks really good.

https://vimeo.com/166908299

Full suspension would definitely be nice at times.

Bikes and the associated toys always amaze me. One of the guys I rode with last night had a newer Kona enduro (full suspension, not sure of model) which looked fun, but the best thing was the loving automatic seat height adjuster he had. From Xc height to downhill with a switch. I didn't even know that was a thing you could get.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tide posted:

For whatever its worth, I messed around a bit with customizing the OS of my phone with cyanogenmod and the like...

Then one day I said gently caress it and let it install the 'regular' OS and have never been happier. I guess it comes down to:
1. Can I surf the web
3. Can I make calls

If the answer is yes to all those, then the 'regular' OS is just fine by me and i don't ever have to worry or gently caress with it. It's surprisingly liberating and or cathartic for it to just work. Which I suppose is why I've gone to the dark side and use all Apple products these days.

The only reason I'm considering rooting my replacement phone is so I can delete all the bullshit like NFL Mobile, Kindle App, games, etc that are plugging up my onboard flash storage that's nearly full... and so I can use titanium backup or equivalent.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Best way to learn! :cheers: Shoot me a PM when this thing kicks off and I can come lend a hand if my schedule allows.

Thanks! It will probably be up nort, where my family is, so I wouldn't expect you to want to travel that far to wrench on someone else's car, but I'll keep you in the loop nonetheless.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Probably a Process. And yeah, I'm even considering a dropper post for this bike. A new FS ride would definitely have one.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tide posted:

1. Can I surf the web
3. Can I make calls

this is ultimately why i switched to Apple as well. At first I thought that I would love customizing my phone, but then I realized that computer janitoring my phone is neither fun nor is it a very good second job

i mean yeah you can use an Android as a regular phone but imo it's way more annoying to do stuff with compared to iOS and the security issues were enough to put me off. I read recently that they're supposedly switching to swift over Java soon, so that could be pretty neat and would also make it a lot easier to port apps from one platform to another

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

scuz posted:

So those of you who are following a 1x5 deadlift thing: just cuz you're only doing 5 reps doesn't mean you should overdo it. I overdo'd it on Friday and on my way back down for the final rep, a loud pop happened in my right hip, my back and right knee gave out, and I had to drop the bar. After panicking over whether I'd be paralyzed, the doctor said I sprained my lower back. Today my lower back feels better, but I have a lot of tingling/numbness in my right leg whenever I put any weight on it, my right leg is significantly weaker than my left, and I can't move my hips forward of my shoulders without a lot of pain in my lower back. My follow-up is scheduled for ~3 hours from now and I still feel really loving stupid. I'm not worried about being paralyzed anymore, but I'm worried about having the mobility of a 70 year-old man 40 years too soon.

Don't overdo it, AI.

I've had a similar pop in my hip. You'll feel fine in a month but that side will still be weaker for a long time, connective tissue doesn't heal fast. Keep up with upper body work. When you get back to squats and dead lifts pay a lot of attention to how your body is moving, or you will over compensate with the other side and then have matching injury and set yourself back several years instead of one or two.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Thanks! It will probably be up nort, where my family is, so I wouldn't expect you to want to travel that far to wrench on someone else's car, but I'll keep you in the loop nonetheless.
If up nort has a bar that has live music I can probably cajole the band into a weekend getaway :buddy: They like going up to Bemidji and Duluth and the like.

thebigcow posted:

I've had a similar pop in my hip. You'll feel fine in a month but that side will still be weaker for a long time, connective tissue doesn't heal fast. Keep up with upper body work. When you get back to squats and dead lifts pay a lot of attention to how your body is moving, or you will over compensate with the other side and then have matching injury and set yourself back several years instead of one or two.
Well that's good to know that it's not permanent. I'm eager to hear what the next doctor has to say, and yeah, I'm keeping up with the upper body stuff. The weird part is that I don't feel any discomfort when doing body-weight squats :iiam:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

scuz posted:

Don't overdo it, AI.

Doing StrongLifts 5x5? I just started again, after a laziness / high load at university induced break. I second this, if it doesn't feel right just leave it and don't feel bad. That being said, the dead-lifts are my absolute favorites. Nothing better than to end a session with some dead-lifts.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

mungtor posted:

I remember some phone conversations here a couple months ago, and if somebody could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

I just got a 2nd Gen Moto X (2014) and it's running vanilla Marshmallow on it (6.0, no 6.0.1 update) and it seems a little bland, as well as missing some features like call blocking and better app control. I've started to go down the rabbit hole of ROMs, but I don't know a ton about which ones are good. I was leaning towards Cyanogenmod, probably because it's the only name I recognized. Is that still a good choice? Their latest "stable" builds are in the CM12 series, which seems to be based on Lollipop, and there are only "nightly" builds for CM 13 (MM). I am not an uber phone hacker, I just want something with a little more control that won't crash on me.

I would stick to cyanogenmod. It's one of the few ROMs that have been around for awhile and most likely to be around on the next few months. Nightlies probably aren't that bad as long as you're not updating every night. I recommend using cyandelta for updates.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Doing StrongLifts 5x5? I just started again, after a laziness / high load at university induced break. I second this, if it doesn't feel right just leave it and don't feel bad. That being said, the dead-lifts are my absolute favorites. Nothing better than to end a session with some dead-lifts.
Same here, they are my A-#1 favorite, I just gotta not gently caress it up next time :buddy:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Why is it so click-hole addictive to do google image searches on crazy soviet union era/communist countries? I saw in passing on the internet something referencing Pyonyang and looking at the photos is so...haunting? Maybe it comes back to when I was playing Call of Duty and you go through Pripyat and that being my first bit of exposure to something like that and searching it out. I could seriously look at poo poo like this for hours.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Dear neighborhood birds: I put that feeder out there, so don't territorially yell at me when I go out to refill it or mow the lawn you little assholes. Especially the ones who are nesting in the eaves of my house. I feed you and put a roof over your heads, and this is how you repay me? :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

If you guys ever think you don't have a significant other for whatever reason just remember that if Tusen Takk can trick a gorgeous gal to marry him then anyone can

10 year anniversary this year. Wife is having kidney stone issues. Had to go to the ER yesterday :(

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Dear neighborhood birds: I put that feeder out there, so don't territorially yell at me when I go out to refill it or mow the lawn you little assholes. Especially the ones who are nesting in the eaves of my house. I feed you and put a roof over your heads, and this is how you repay me? :argh:

"Motherfucker is trying to steal our food!"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mungtor posted:

I have both a 2014 and 2015 Moto X.

The 2014 is still running CM13 (nightly obviously). It was stable as long as I didn't update it; I'd update once a month or so (and learned quickly to make a full backup first). I don't use it for much anymore though, it spends most of its time turned off.

The 2015 was running various ROMs, but it's back to the stock ROM (with root and adblock).

tl;dr CM or stock on a 6.x device

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
- The Ob is telling my wife that they are going to induce her "Thursday or Friday"
- My dad sold his truck and has just told me he is going to take mine (it's a company truck), Come September I will be communting 80km a day to school and back I need a car, but can't afford one right now.
- My mother-in-law is staying with us to help with the up-coming baby. She has been making us tons of Indian food which tastes great but is making me poo poo constantly.
- I am more than a little nervous about being a father
- That awesome Birel kart I wanted to buy got sold.
- The loving lawn is growing in super patchy and I'm uncharacteristically mad about it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

- I am more than a little nervous about being a father

Just go with it, if you didn't feel nervous then you wouldn't care that you're having a kid.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

- My mother-in-law is staying with us to help with the up-coming baby. She has been making us tons of Indian food which tastes great but is making me poo poo constantly.

Ask her if she can cut down the amount of oil she uses. She wants to make it really good for you guys which in Indian culture means plenty of butter and oil, but the sheer quantity can disrupt your bowels if you're not used to it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ask her if she can cut down the amount of oil she uses.

Hahahaha that's not going to work. It's not the oil, it's the Ghee (clairified butter) and masala and spices.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Upset bowels are a worthy price for good Indian food imo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Upset bowels are a worthy price for good Indian food imo.

Upset bowels are an indicator of good indian food.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Saw the new Doom game and it looks good.

However I built my PC about 18-24 months ago and it now only just meets the minimum specs :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ugh. Older GM trucks have been a pain in my rear end this year. First my uncle's yukon with rusted brake lines, now I've been asked to look at a truck, an 03ish sierra 6.0 that is throwing some strange CELs and going into reduced power mode. Normally I would be like "yeah, sorry, I don't know and can't really help," but it's a friend of my dad (and his old truck).

P0641 - Sensor Reference Voltage 1 Circuit/Open
P0651 - Sensor Reference Voltage 2 Circuit/Open
P1516 - Electronic throttle module throttle position

So the first two could be a short related to any of these sensors:
-Accelerator pedal position sensor
-Throttle position sensor
-AC pressure sensor
-Engine oil pressure sensor
-Camshaft position sensor
-Fuel tank pressure sensor
-MAP sensor

But the third, which hasn't come back since clearing the codes and driving it around, is pointing toward the pedal or throttle body.

I get 5V when checking reference voltage at the pedal and TB, and the connectors appear to be in good shape. Best I can come up with now is to start tearing into the harness at the throttle and pedal to make sure there are no small internal breaks in the wire and/or replace the throttle body, which seems to have a little play in it.

Thoughts?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MustardFacial posted:

Hahahaha that's not going to work. It's not the oil, it's the Ghee (clairified butter) and masala and spices.

Pretty sure that ghee is heart disease in a jar.

On the plus side, if you ever run out of axle grease...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think you're on the right track. However, a sanity check - are you measuring the reference voltages with the pedal module plugged in, or unplugged? If it's unplugged, an extremely marginal connection may be allowing enough current flow to read proper voltage on your fancy modern 10-megohm DMM, but when you put the pedal module back on the harness, its current draw drags the bus down.

Also remember the ECU is just telling you what it sees, not what the problem is. You know that, but I'm not sure you're thinking about it from an EE nerd standpoint, or not far enough into that viewpoint anyways. What the ECU is telling you is that the voltage (which it is producing, BTW) is wrong on both those rails. It could be too high, it could be too low, it could be a short or an open (it's saying open, so probably that.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, connector unplugged. I haven't gotten to the point of stripping off insulation and taking apart the harness but that seems to be the next step.

The truck runs and drives normally most of the time so I think a small break in a wire somewhere near the pedal or throttle seems most likely.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'd avoid stripping insulation if at all possible. Usually you can find a way to backprobe the connector instead.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Hivemind I beg of you:

1) how long is reasonable to have an oil pan dropped, the vehicle on ramps and on a gravel driveway? P.sure my 99 silverado (lq4) has a spun cam bearing, but I'm holding hope it's just a clogged pickup and oil pump oring- parts coming from rock auto.

2) Annnnd it's an oddball. I work in a D.O.E. funded plasma physics lab (fusion and poo poo, handshake- scaled experiments- with sandia and their Z machine).

...We have a grad student who is trying to make stupid thin cylinders (liners) of Aluminum. We can machine them to a .001" (25 micron) wall thickness semi-reliably, but he'd like a 2 (t w o) micron wall. We have a deposition chamber, and we've had no problem depositing (sputtering) the aluminum, but retrieving the cylinder from the mandrel/substrate has been a bitch. He had tried using a mandrel of some manner of plastic that will dissolve in citric acid, but the heat of the deposition created pocks in the plastic that tore the cylinder (liner) whilst dissolving. Inspired by AvE using alum to dissolve steel while keeping aluminum in one piece, I've deposited on a turned and polished steel mandrel, but the dissolve is too violent- bubbles. I've been daydreaming about something like salt or rock candy that can be turned to the O.D. he's looking for, that has a fighting chance of holding up to the heat of deposition- very high vacuum, so heat just.stays.- while dissolving in a very quiet and non-turbulent way.

Is there anything that y'all can think of that could deal with heat (~600C for an hour), but dissolve all nice and quiet like sos we could maybe pull this off?

E: I know it's a moonshot, but SA has come through before.

E2: yes, rock candy. I'ma machine me some candy canes tomorrow.

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Got back about an hour or so ago from taking my wife to have surgery done for a deviated septum. They told her that there would be some pain, but holy gently caress. She moaned, whined, and whimpered the entire way home and better than a half-hour after that. She's still sporadically doing it, after a Tylenol 3. It's setting off every protective defend-your-mate instinct I have something fierce. I'm incredibly tense, and I'm almost shaking. I haven't had this level of impotent rage in some time - drat near Hulk Smash levels. I want to kill something for hurting my wife, but there's nobody to kill. If someone were to cross me right now my response would be WAY out of proportion.
gently caress, I don't know if I can handle this.

Next time someone else is playing nursemaid - I get far too emotionally involved.

• Locked thread