Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alhazred posted:

His power was to survive multiple STDs.

Just imagine if Trask used Kennedy's corpse as the basis for the Sentinel design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Pros: 30% higher than Batman v Superman
Cons: 2% lower than the Angry Birds Movie.

They're probably on the phone right now begging Ryan Reynolds to do a cameo in the next X-Men film. :v:

Didn't they already greenlight Deadpool 2 AND X-Force: Now Starring Deadpool?

And how does X-Men: Apocalypse have bad special effects with a budget of almost $250 million? :signings:

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh

LesterGroans posted:

Sounds like the X-Men post-credits scene teases Mister Sinister. So he'll probably be the villain in the sequel or the Gambit movie.

They should use Mojo and just go nuts

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shane Black learned to love the "machine" from Joss:
http://screenrant.com/shane-black-marvel-studios-iron-man-3/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

And how does X-Men: Apocalypse have bad special effects with a budget of almost $250 million? :signings:

Because the cast is starting to get tired of doing superhero poo poo and they're having to dump absurd money on them to keep them happy.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Shane Black learned to love the "machine" from Joss:
http://screenrant.com/shane-black-marvel-studios-iron-man-3/

I'm not sure that embracing "the machine" is really a problem though, IM3 and later Mavel movies have been both good and stylistically distinct from the Whedon films

those movies are pretty massive affairs, I think having consistent and knowledgeable support staff/infrastructure would be a genuine asset to a director even if it involves some inherent creative compromise

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 17, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, the machine is really only a bad thing when there's actual friction between them and the creative types (such as in Edgar Wright's case). When they support what a director's trying to do, I'd say they have a positive effect more than anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh gently caress No

http://www.forbes.com/sites/luketho...r/#102ca34b47ee

More than any other rumor in the history of forever, have I never wanted one to be wrong than this one.

The Bayformers are fine for what they are, but Jesus Christ do not drag Rom into this. Rom does not deserve this. Rom is better than this.

Leave Rom the gently caress alone.

Also Rom's never had a giant gently caress off sword so I don't know why the sword Optimus got would be his. Nor is Rom... Optimus sized.

Though I won't lie, if Rom is human sized but still wields a giant gently caress off Optimus sword, I could get behind that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burkion posted:

Oh gently caress No

More than any other rumor in the history of forever, have I never wanted one to be wrong than this one.

The Bayformers are fine for what they are, but Jesus Christ do not drag Rom into this. Rom does not deserve this. Rom is better than this.

Also Rom's never had a giant gently caress off sword so I don't know why the sword Optimus got would be his. Nor is Rom... Optimus sized.

Though I won't lie, if Rom is human sized but still wields a giant gently caress off Optimus sword, I could get behind that.

Can you just copy and paste the article im not disabling ad block to read someones blog

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Oh gently caress No

Are you okay

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I don't have a problem with Shane Black embracing the machine or whatever. I thought it was kind of funny though. Joss Whedon the guy who got so disillusioned by the machine he quit the MCU convinced Shane Black to embrace it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

To be fair Joss hadn't made his second movie with them and gotten locked out of the edit bay yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just because Whedon doesn't want to continue making giant tent-pole action blockbusters for the next 20 years of his life doesn't mean he hates "the machine". If you want to spend like $250 mil to make one of these over-the-top action extravaganzas, guess what, there's going to be a lot of people involved and there's going to be a "machine". There's just no way around it, it seems like Whedon figured out that if you're involved in that kind of project, you may as well use the machine to your advantage rather than fighting against it constantly.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't get old after a while, and Whedon probably wants to work on something at some point where he can use more creativity and exercise more control. There are practical realities to making these movies, and you can acknowledge those realities while still being able to work through them. Many directors have handled it well, but they do usually get sick of it. Its totally natural.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ya'll are taking my joke far too seriously. I apologize.

There's also far more interesting things in that article than my one liner.

Like how Shane Black had to make sure certain things appealed to Chinese audiences. Or how he considers Marvel's winning formula to be "these mythic caped heroes come striding out of the fog, lit from below and backlit. And then they stub their toe!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

Or how he considers Marvel's winning formula to be "these mythic caped heroes come striding out of the fog, lit from below and backlit. And then they stub their toe!"

He's kind of got a point there. One thing that's always set Marvel apart from DC, even back in the 70s, was the fundamental humanity of their characters. They're extraordinarily empowered people, but they're still people. DC's tried to hit this a few times, and most of their best work succeeds at it, but they've always had a more detached view of their heroes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Who the gently caress is Rom Spaceknight? I asked a few people and nobody has heard of him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TetsuoTW posted:

That's a weird thing to still be mad about.

Lol wut? People got mad about JFK being a mutant?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HIJK posted:

Lol wut? People got mad about JFK being a mutant?

JFK was definitely the most mutant president

oversexed relationship drama
civil rights agitators being opposed by both private and governmental conspiracies
space adventures
a narrowly-averted world-ending apocalypse
a dramatic death in needlessly confusing circumstances

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Like how Shane Black had to make sure certain things appealed to Chinese audiences. Or how he considers Marvel's winning formula to be "these mythic caped heroes come striding out of the fog, lit from below and backlit. And then they stub their toe!"

Haha that part was great. It wasn't even Shane Black himself, he said he didn't film those sections. They would just film a scene with a big Chinese actor saying "we need to prepare for Tony Stark's arrival!" and insert it into the movie:

Shane Black posted:

“It’s a huge market. Don’t blame Marvel for that. I mean, go look at the Transformers’ movies, where there are lines about like, ‘Let’s stop them! But first we must consult the Central Committee!’ There’s stuff written in the script that just kisses rear end cheeks! …Look, Iron Man 3 did it. We had stuff that I didn’t even film for the Chinese version, where it just cuts to their Robert De Niro in essence–a really wonderful actor–and he’s like, ‘Is Mr. Stark on his way? Ah, good yeah. We must prepare! I’ll do my best.’ He hangs up and then just starts drinking this milk in front of the camera! Geely milk! But here’s the thing: I know a lot of Chinese people and I had a Chinese girlfriend. Even they know it’s bullshit. In China they’re going: ‘Guys, come on. This isn’t fooling anyone. This isn’t even supposed to be in the movie. You’re just jerking us off here.’ But they still saw it in China.”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who the gently caress is Rom Spaceknight? I asked a few people and nobody has heard of him.

Space RoboCop what kills space demons

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rom starts off kind of weak compared to his brother but eventually i think he falls into his own. the self-replicating minefield to stop the Dominion was cool

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

ROM Spaceknight is an 80s Marvel comic based on a toyline nobody remembers, where a robot man flies around space fighting aliens. It became kind of a cult hit, despite not taking off in the mainstream, because after a certain point it started getting really dark and weird and cool.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The funny thing is they take people seeing the thing in China as validation that their strategy worked, but of course, beyond playing games to get the film past the ministry, it might not make one loving whit of difference to people wanting to see the movie. They're not stupid, they know it's pandering bullshit too. Maybe they just wanna see some movies and there's a lot of people there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

The funny thing is they take people seeing the thing in China as validation that their strategy worked, but of course, beyond playing games to get the film past the ministry, it might not make one loving whit of difference to people wanting to see the movie. They're not stupid, they know it's pandering bullshit too. Maybe they just wanna see some movies and there's a lot of people there.

Was there any pandering in Civil War or any of the Avengers? I don't remember any. How about B v. S or Man of Steel? Still haven't seen those.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Shageletic posted:

Was there any pandering in Civil War or any of the Avengers? I don't remember any. How about B v. S or Man of Steel? Still haven't seen those.

Actually there isn't. But I wonder if there's some China-only stuff shot like there was for IM3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

oddium posted:

rom starts off kind of weak compared to his brother but eventually i think he falls into his own. the self-replicating minefield to stop the Dominion was cool

That chalice dungeon fight with Rom is a real rear end in a top hat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shageletic posted:

There was some pandering to Koreans in Ultron.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
THR has the scoop: WB is launching a dedicated DC Films division with Geoff Johns and current WB exec Jon Berg in charge. No prizes for guessing what prompted this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-v-superman-fallout-warner-895174

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hate every single word of that article. What a load of homogenized bullshit.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

THR has the scoop: WB is launching a dedicated DC Films division with Geoff Johns and current WB exec Jon Berg in charge. No prizes for guessing what prompted this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-v-superman-fallout-warner-895174

haha it's like that was written to piss off CD posters

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

haha it's like that was written to piss off CD posters

I mean, I really don't see what the big deal is at all. "Two guys who were already executive producing these projects including BvS are now promoted". Stuff like getting Affleck more involved and opting for a more experienced director with a more "authoritative stamp" on Flash are both unambiguously good things.

Literally the only thing in this article that annoys me in the slightest is the suggestion that Suicide Squad had problems that needed to be "corrected" instead of just being scheduled pickup shots like has been repeatedly reported. I dunno, maybe there's something I'm missing. Unless it's just "this is confirmation that BvS disappointed Warner Brothers!" or whatever.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Regardless the impact this decision will hve on the DCEU moving forward, I can't help but feel bad for Snyder. The most vocal parts of the internet literally won't be satisfied until they see him crash and burn like Josh Trank.

What the hell did Snyder to them to get this amount of vitriol? :psyduck:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What the hell did Snyder to them to get this amount of vitriol? :psyduck:

He works out and is better looking than the nerds who hate him in addition to the obvious of being grossly more successful in life.

Like, nobody can hate Whedon because no matter how rich his products make him he's still a gross little manchild.

It's a purely visceral reaction.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think Zack Snyder's gonna be just fine. Like, honestly. That's not even a question.

But oh no, people called him "Hack Snyder".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want to work out with Zack Snyder.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Snack Zyder.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think Zack Snyder's gonna be just fine. Like, honestly. That's not even a question.

But oh no, people called him "Hack Snyder".

Oh I'm sure he will be fine. But the contempt against him is getting kind of creepy and it baffles me, people are short of saying the guy is in a personal crusade to destroy everything they hold dear or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Snack Zyder.

Only healthy stuff, remember hat.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Where did they get the idea that Geoff Johns knows anything about making successful movies? Stop making Green Lantern happen.
Marvel studios did not make billions by actually giving comics people reins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TBF Snyder also made Sucker Punch, which is hands down one of the biggest pieces of tedious garbage I've paid to see.

• Locked thread