Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Lord of Hats posted:

Excuse me, but I think you'll find if you read the mythology that lots of people wanted Zeus :wiggle:

And even more didn't only to realize that didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See the difference is that when the Judaeo Christian God gets involved he generally is supposed to be exempt from the rules that everyone else has to live under, so he can get away with, say, nuking a city from orbit. So because of ineffability he gets to claim all the cool stuff that Brahma does whilst also not having to get involved in the universe at all.

If anything its probably easier to make Zeus an idiot horn dog and his priest hood morons. It means that if there were any stuff going on where people went to meditate on the side of a hill for a while about him and came back with some insights that we might consider insightful then they can more easily pushed into the background.

I know its probably bollocks though, and hells I don't even like the Greek and Roman Gods. But I find it a little galling when, in the Jewish tradition, God cannot get Rabbincal scholars to agree on something through direct divine intervention and it's treated as a funny interlude and treating Zeus like an idiot because he can't get his priests to do the same.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If you pick Odin as your shadow name, and take the appropriate merit, can you get a free yantra for any spells cast on a Wednesday?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
That could actually be a cool Cabal theme. Take various Norse God names, and you each get a yantra bonus on the appropriate day. Mani, Tyr, Odin, Thor, Frigg, Loki, Sol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
according to my personal theology we all live in the marvel universe and thus jack kirby is the co-god who created all the other gods

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, all of them are a step up from the Greeks, most are a step up from the Norse. There are levels. We should never give failures a pass because other people weren't perfect. That's how you get Zeus. Nobody wants Zeus.

Now I'm just imagining Archer walking up on a raucous orgy (in a toga, naturally) and going "Do you want Zeus? Because this is how you get Zeus!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ZiegeDame posted:

Tell that to Odin. :colbert:

You've activated my trap card. Even the mythic implications of 'self mutilation' aren't actually those of reckless pride or destructive greed!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Literally The Worst posted:

One time Loki stole Mjolnir and gave it to the Giants so Thir dressed up like a lady to steal it back

I liked the one where Thor dressed up as Hercules and Hercules dressed up as Thor.

And then, Thor-as-Hercules kicked Hercules-as-Thor in the nuts

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

ZiegeDame posted:

If you pick Odin as your shadow name, and take the appropriate merit, can you get a free yantra for any spells cast on a Wednesday?

Possibly, but I'm fairly sure the book explicitly says something to the effect of "don't pick Odin as your shadow name if you're particularly attached to having both eyes" - that or it was in a dev post somewhere.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Daeren posted:

Possibly, but I'm fairly sure the book explicitly says something to the effect of "don't pick Odin as your shadow name if you're particularly attached to having both eyes" - that or it was in a dev post somewhere.

I'd like to see what picking Ganesh would cause to happen to you.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Daeren posted:

Also you'll get laughed at by the other children mages children

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Are there any examples of people who awoke at a younger age and chose something like xXxXxSEPHR0T4SEXGODxXxXx as their shadowname?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Kurieg posted:

Are there any examples of people who awoke at a younger age and chose something like xXxXxSEPHR0T4SEXGODxXxXx as their shadowname?

"Angrboda" is only like one or two steps removed from xXxD4RKFL4MExXx

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kurieg posted:

You can always change your Shadow Name. I suspect a lot of people who awoke as teens and didn't get themselves killed have cycled through more than one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bewilderment posted:

I feel like I've missed an old argument here. What's wrong with it being a 'sin'? It's literally taking out a piece of your soul, making it so that you can never reach maximum enlightenment, in order to have power right now.
The current F&F review of 2e implied that you could later break your soulstone and re-absorb the part of your soul to remove the cap on Gnosis? Was I reading that wrong or something?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That is correct, if your soulstone is ever broken you get the Gnosis limit back. The 'hubris' part, I think, comes from shaving off part of your soul and making it into a rock someone can steal and use against you.

Basically, in pursuit of personal power you are actively giving yourself a giant glowy weak point that says 'use me for sympathetic fuckery.'

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah it's not that every single Mage has a meaningful shadow name that influences their lives... but if you're a PC then events probably conspire to make it that way, and it happens often enough that Mages are somewhat aware of the phenomenon. Fate is a thing, after all.

Re: soulstones and pattern-scarring for mana, regardless of 'sin' there's clearly a difference in magnitude there.
You can convert mana to health, and vice versa (except it's a resistant wound), and health comes back in a day or two. It's renewable.
Souls, on the other hand, aren't renewable to the same extent, and while you can reabsorb a soulstone, it's still taking out a piece of yourself and making yourself less whole.

Put that way it kind of reminds me of that Vampire discipline in Mekhet where you can literally pluck out your own eye and shove it in a surveillance camera to see everything the camera sees.

And that in turn reminds me of the Geist power described as "possibly the most disturbing" that lets you detach a hand and have it move independently... immediately followed by the power that lets you integrate mechanical parts and technology into your flesh.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mors Rattus posted:

That is correct, if your soulstone is ever broken you get the Gnosis limit back. The 'hubris' part, I think, comes from shaving off part of your soul and making it into a rock someone can steal and use against you.

Basically, in pursuit of personal power you are actively giving yourself a giant glowy weak point that says 'use me for sympathetic fuckery.'

Okay, but, that doesn't make sense. Why is making a strategic error to no particular benefit to yourself an act of hubris?

Like, soul stones don't particularly provide you with personal power. A soul stone of yours is much more useful to one of your enemies (or to one of your friends, if you lend it to them) than it is to you - in your own hands, a soul stone wand is literally no better than a regular wand you've dedicated. The only benefit a soul stone grants directly to its creator is its capacity to sustain a demesne, so, what, ensuring that paradoxes don't happen is an act of reckless pride, now?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

The only benefit a soul stone grants directly to its creator is its capacity to sustain a demesne, so, what, ensuring that paradoxes don't happen is an act of reckless pride, now?
Yeah, if anything making a soul stone is the opposite of an act of hubris, since you're sacrificing a piece of your soul (albeit not permanently if you're careful) for the greater good of reality.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah, if anything making a soul stone is the opposite of an act of hubris, since you're sacrificing a piece of your soul (albeit not permanently if you're careful) for the greater good of reality.

Something something Upholding the Lie something

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

citybeatnik posted:

Something something Upholding the Lie something
If the fallen world is consumed by the unrealities of the abyss then nothing will be a paradox as all things become equally possible.

Join the Scelesti :getin:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, but, that doesn't make sense. Why is making a strategic error to no particular benefit to yourself an act of hubris?

Like, soul stones don't particularly provide you with personal power. A soul stone of yours is much more useful to one of your enemies (or to one of your friends, if you lend it to them) than it is to you - in your own hands, a soul stone wand is literally no better than a regular wand you've dedicated. The only benefit a soul stone grants directly to its creator is its capacity to sustain a demesne, so, what, ensuring that paradoxes don't happen is an act of reckless pride, now?

I think it's part of the whole inconsistent definition of hubris bit that's been around since 1e. If you imagine that changing, manipulating or reshaping your own soul in this manner is somehow intrinsically unclean than it kind of makes 'sense' - in the way that maybe it's the magical equivalent of eating dirt or something - but I don't really buy that.

I think it's a somewhat cumbersome way of explaining why not every single mage does it. I think that's really as far as it goes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mendrian posted:

I think it's part of the whole inconsistent definition of hubris bit that's been around since 1e. If you imagine that changing, manipulating or reshaping your own soul in this manner is somehow intrinsically unclean than it kind of makes 'sense' - in the way that maybe it's the magical equivalent of eating dirt or something - but I don't really buy that.

I think it's a somewhat cumbersome way of explaining why not every single mage does it. I think that's really as far as it goes.

Manipulating a soul might be 'eating magical dirt' in the sense that soul-manipulating legacies are generally left-handed and labelled 'Reapers'. Doing it to yourself clearly isn't as bad but I suppose it can still have an 'icky' feel to it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speaking of Hubris and Wisdom, does the book explicitly go into the implications of all mages no longer having Integrity and getting it replaced with Wisdom?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mendrian posted:

I agree, but it's driving me up the wall because the existing soul stone mechanics already make it obvious that soul stones are double-edged swords which provide roundabout, general utility at the cost of personal debility and risk, so, like, why bother putting even more pressure on people not to make them?

If soul stone creation absolutely had to be a wisdom sin, then making one should definitely exact a cost on the environment rather than you. Like, creating a soul stone means incarnating a shard of the supernal in physical reality and it always causes some sort of dangerous paradox zone to bloom wherever you do it. Or maybe soul stones cause breaking points in any Sleepers that witness or touch them or spend more than a few minutes nearby them. Or maybe you have to make one out of someone else's soul.

Zereth posted:

Speaking of Hubris and Wisdom, does the book explicitly go into the implications of all mages no longer having Integrity and getting it replaced with Wisdom?

Not in depth, but since killing people and so on is still a sin against Wisdom there's not really any reason to draw the conclusion that mages think and feel in ways alien to Sleeping humans. Obviously, mages don't suffer Breaking Points from seeing weird poo poo, but they still suffer the Beaten Down condition.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 18, 2016

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ferrinus posted:

Or maybe soul stones cause breaking points in any Sleepers that witness or touch them or spend more than a few minutes nearby them.

I'm fairly sure Dissonance means this already happens.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I don't think Dissonance touches soul stones at all. It's not like they all glow or anything, and they're not actually standing spells.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I just looked it up, and it suppresses/destroys demenses, but not the soulstones that make 'em. I was close, at least :v:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Zereth posted:

A little bit and somewhat indirectly, in that no, not all mages replace Integrity with Wisdom. Some don't quite Awaken properly. They tend to end up as Banishers (though not all Banishers have this condition), because Integrity, unlike Wisdom, experiences supernal phenomena as a traumatic overload.

Between that and the example of the Mad, it could be inferred that what the game calls Wisdom, then, might be some property of the Awakened mind and soul that can process and filter the experience of supernal truth without being damaged by the strain, similarly to how seekers in Imperial Mysteries have to filter the direct perception of the Supernal Realms through a metaphorical lustrum, or be obliterated by the experience.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I agree, but it's driving me up the wall because the existing soul stone mechanics already make it obvious that soul stones are double-edged swords which provide roundabout, general utility at the cost of personal debility and risk, so, like, why bother putting even more pressure on people not to make them?

If soul stone creation absolutely had to be a wisdom sin, then making one should definitely exact a cost on the environment rather than you. Like, creating a soul stone means incarnating a shard of the supernal in physical reality and it always causes some sort of dangerous paradox zone to bloom wherever you do it. Or maybe soul stones cause breaking points in any Sleepers that witness or touch them or spend more than a few minutes nearby them. Or maybe you have to make one out of someone else's soul.

Not in depth, but since killing people and so on is still a sin against Wisdom there's not really any reason to draw the conclusion that mages think and feel in ways alien to Sleeping humans. Obviously, mages don't suffer Breaking Points from seeing weird poo poo, but they still suffer the Beaten Down condition.

What if you had to summon, bind, and enslave a Supernal creature inside of your soulstone first?

I mean that sounds pretty bad.

EDIT: And it could lead to some delightful, non-Paradox side-effects. I imagine binding some kind of death angel inside of your Moros soulstone is going to cause some sideways poo poo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mendrian posted:

What if you had to summon, bind, and enslave a Supernal creature inside of your soulstone first?

I mean that sounds pretty bad.

EDIT: And it could lead to some delightful, non-Paradox side-effects. I imagine binding some kind of death angel inside of your Moros soulstone is going to cause some sideways poo poo.

Binding or enslaving a thinking being, including spirits or supernal creatures or whatever, is already explicitly a sin against Understanding Wisdom, so that would be entirely appropriate and also really cool. I'd expect the creation of a soul stone to exact less of a tax on the actual mage, though, and for the soul stone to actually provide some obvious personal benefit - at the very least, you should get the same +2 when using the stone as a tool yantra that another mage would.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Excuse me, but I think you'll find if you read the mythology that lots of people wanted Zeus :wiggle:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

When will they make Alien: the Alienating

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
After playing through Bloodborne pretty recently, I've been inspired to run a world of darkness game in the same vein, but modern day. My idea was to start the players off as mortal hunters and eventually have them move up the chain and start hunting true fae and become inundated with hedge and Dreamworld poo poo, transitioning into fae-touched and eventually changelings. I'm afraid it would be butchering the setting a little bit though since it's not really Changeling "proper," and trying to think of ways to make the transition be interesting instead of an asspull. Any advice?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I misread Bloodborne as Battleborn and was about to lose my poo poo

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Gilok posted:

I misread Bloodborne as Battleborn and was about to lose my poo poo

All players are required to take "Flaw: Itty Bitty Head, Giant Body"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Commissar Budgie posted:

All players are required to take "Flaw: Itty Bitty Head, Giant Body"

Bill down the hall is running a similar game, but it's way, way better, and a lot of people aren't sure why you aren't playing that one instead.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I just want to say that the worst gods possible are the Irish Celtic ones. Why? Because they're the only gods who ever had a war with people and lost. Not only did they lose, mind you, but they were rules lawyered into being stuck underground.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, we don't actually know as much as we'd like about those guys, because all our records on them postdate the Christian conquest and conversion of Ireland. But what we do have suggests that they were part of a sort of deity cycle, in which you had gods, who then were defeated by the next wave of gods, and then the next, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

NewMars posted:

I just want to say that the worst gods possible are the Irish Celtic ones. Why? Because they're the only gods who ever had a war with people and lost. Not only did they lose, mind you, but they were rules lawyered into being stuck underground.

JUDGES 1:19 And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

The Irish Celtic gods weren't the only one(s) to lose against humans.