Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know how some cars are average to bland looking at best, but have that one angle that makes them look pretty sweet?

The prius is the opposite of that. It's a car that looks like poo poo and every new angle makes it look even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Human Grand Prix posted:

On a side note, the Internet has made me hate the word JDM.

Me too. You know how hard it is to shop an H22 engine when everything is plastered JDM and other misleading poo poo?

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182134228878

Says "JDM" all over it, but this is the H22A and T2W4 transmission from a Euro-market only Honda Accord Type-R, and it makes a good bit of difference when you are shopping a motor for an OBDI application. I may go this direction regardless, and at least these guys put the T2W4 description in as otherwise it would be very hard to tell this from any other H22, but it would be nice to find a genuine JDM OBD1 H22A.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't like it until I realized all if the JDM parts for my WRX are better quality or more useful than the USDM stuff. I guess it gets sacrificed to keep the US market prices down.

I mean look at the lovely grill they gave the US market. There's examples of these swaps all over the car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That grille is probably 5mph crash related.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I heard it was emissions related. But I don't know how true that is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

um excuse me posted:

I didn't like it until I realized all if the JDM parts for my WRX are better quality or more useful than the USDM stuff. I guess it gets sacrificed to keep the US market prices down.

I mean look at the lovely grill they gave the US market. There's examples of these swaps all over the car.

Which is which?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
USDM is on top. JDM bottom. It may be hard to see but above where the grill stops on the US version, are just vertical plastic support pieces that wreck the lines of the front.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seven-hills/cars-vans-utes/mazda-121-turbo/1111082804

I.... I... I don't understand? It seems like a shitton of work has gone into it.. to run no boost? in a 121?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slothrop posted:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seven-hills/cars-vans-utes/mazda-121-turbo/1111082804

I.... I... I don't understand? It seems like a shitton of work has gone into it.. to run no boost? in a 121?

Big plans... little budget.
Looks like he ran out of money when it came to the fuel part.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

trouser chili posted:

Me too. You know how hard it is to shop an H22 engine when everything is plastered JDM and other misleading poo poo?

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182134228878

Says "JDM" all over it, but this is the H22A and T2W4 transmission from a Euro-market only Honda Accord Type-R, and it makes a good bit of difference when you are shopping a motor for an OBDI application. I may go this direction regardless, and at least these guys put the T2W4 description in as otherwise it would be very hard to tell this from any other H22, but it would be nice to find a genuine JDM OBD1 H22A.

How can you tell?

There was Japanese market Accord/Torneo Euro R and it did use that transmission.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

um excuse me posted:

I personally prefer the USDM one...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All manner of wackjob ham radio crap stuck to this truck. It had more antennae than an insect orgy.

Plus more stickers than any car should have on it.

Yes, he had what looked like a handicap placard hanging from the rearview, I didn't look very closely. I'm assuming the disability is to his good taste glands and/or decisionmaking areas of his brain.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olivil posted:

I personally prefer the USDM one...

Bless you for liking the easier option.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

slothrop posted:

I'm confused why these don't have more of a following really, the 1.5L one isn't even 90hp but it's a total blast to drive like a child. A turbo in the mix would be hilarious.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

trouser chili posted:

I bought a roll of clear stick-on vinyl off of Amazon to use to keep water off a part of my bathroom wall tile before I remodel and it came with a I❤️JDM sticker.

... would anyone want it?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

bennyfactor posted:

I bought a roll of clear stick-on vinyl off of Amazon to use to keep water off a part of my bathroom wall tile before I remodel and it came with a I❤️JDM sticker.

... would anyone want it?

Not gonna lie, I kinda want it for the Nova.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

slothrop posted:

The fuel system on those is terrible, they've got that stupid early-90s centrepoint fuel injection which is a single injector spraying into the inlet manifold and then ??? then fuel getting into the cylinders. Running boost of any sort probably made it ping its tits off, but only in three cylinders at a time as the extra air pressure made all the fuel go into one cylinder.

That being said, I think I'm going to go buy it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

kastein posted:

All manner of wackjob ham radio crap stuck to this truck. It had more antennae than an insect orgy.

oh hey, you found jonny290's weekend rig

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Big plans... little budget.
Looks like he ran out of money when it came to the fuel part.

I had a mate with a daihatsu mira 3 cyl of sub-liter proportions and a carb. He welded up an intake manifold out of the remnants of a 2t expansion chamber that pressurised both the throat and the bowl of the carb. It was amazing and devastating and tended to lift a wheel on turns. After a few thousand k's it broke a ring, was deemed unworthy of repair and got blown up in a burnout-till-death on the driveway in a packed neighbourhood.

The whole thing probably cost 1500 bucks from start to finish.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Terrible/not terrible I wish America had the tiny motored cars the rest of the world got. I unironically want a 2cyl car. My daily drive doesn't require something over 100hp and I'd love 50mpg and then some.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

kastein posted:

Yes, he had what looked like a handicap placard hanging from the rearview, I didn't look very closely. I'm assuming the disability is to his good taste glands and/or decisionmaking areas of his brain.

I'm the potato used to take the picture

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DiggityDoink posted:

Terrible/not terrible I wish America had the tiny motored cars the rest of the world got. I unironically want a 2cyl car. My daily drive doesn't require something over 100hp and I'd love 50mpg and then some.

The 2016 Toyota Prius has 95-98 hp from the engine (depending which source you trust), and points and laughs as it sails north of 50 mpg (the Eco is rated 58 mpg city).

I mean... you did say "don't need more than 100 hp" and "I'd love 50mpg" :downs:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 18, 2016

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

The 2016 Toyota Prius has 95-98 hp from the engine (depending which source you trust), and points and laughs as it sails north of 50 mpg (the Eco is rated 58 mpg city).

I mean... you did say "don't need more than 100 hp" and "I'd love 50mpg" :downs:

But what about stuff like the Twingo and the Ford 2cyl? I want options!

e; options in the cheap range btw, not like the prius

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So cars that would gently caress your poo poo up in a crash with the average American vehicle.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

um excuse me posted:

So cars that would gently caress your poo poo up in a crash with the average American vehicle.

What's stopping them from creating a crash compartment that can handle a smaller mass in the engine bay? That's an unironic question btw.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good question and the issue is time. Time is needed to absorb energy at safe levels. The more time you have the less energy/second (Watts) you have to absorb in a crash. With shorter cars, it is often fact that the crash structure before the occupant is also shorter. Given a specific speed, this means there is less time to absorb energy in an impact, increasing the likelihood of serious injury or even death. Cars like the Smart ForTwo boasts extremely strong crash structures, but they also do a terrible job at absorbing energy.

I knew a guy who was a Fortwo fanboy. He got into an accident with his vehicle and sustained major injuries while the other driver was able to walk away. He couldn't afford to pay the medical bills he accrued. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I firmly believe if he had been driving a larger vehicle with a longer crash structure, he would have also been okay.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 18, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

I had a mate with a daihatsu mira 3 cyl of sub-liter proportions and a carb. He welded up an intake manifold out of the remnants of a 2t expansion chamber that pressurised both the throat and the bowl of the carb. It was amazing and devastating and tended to lift a wheel on turns. After a few thousand k's it broke a ring, was deemed unworthy of repair and got blown up in a burnout-till-death on the driveway in a packed neighbourhood.

The whole thing probably cost 1500 bucks from start to finish.

You need to find this man, and buy him an account here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

um excuse me posted:

He couldn't afford to pay the medical bills he accrued.

Although a terrible thing that shouldn't happen in a civilised world, this is irrelevant to the discussion. I'm sure if he was driving a jeep he still wouldn't be able to afford the medical bills he accrued when he was hit by something bigger.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was only meant to convey that the bills were large without disclosing an amount. There was no ulterior motive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

But what about stuff like the Twingo and the Ford 2cyl? I want options!

e; options in the cheap range btw, not like the prius

The Yaris is pretty modest too. Or at least it was in 2008. Not sure where it is now, but several years ago it was right around the 100hp mark.

You could always buy a Smart. :suicide:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Upgrading my 2014 Corolla LE to a 2016 Corolla S Plus today. Paddle shifting :smuggo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Upgrading my 2014 Corolla LE to a 2016 Corolla S Plus today. Paddle shifting :smuggo:

Clarkson gonna show up and punch you.

Enjoy that gaping black hole they call a front grille.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

neonbregna posted:

I'm the potato used to take the picture

I'm sorry that my phone doesn't like low light situations and has a scuffed lens because I work on cars and houses a lot and it gets dirty.

(the funny part is that my old phone took better pictures, but sucked worse at everything else)

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
C.H.U.D.D

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

dissss posted:

How can you tell?

There was Japanese market Accord/Torneo Euro R and it did use that transmission.

Holy poo poo, you're right. I had documentation on the Euro-R and thought it was EUDM given the name, but the Euro-R is actually a JDM variant of Accord. gently caress the What, Honda?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

um excuse me posted:

It's a good question and the issue is time. Time is needed to absorb energy at safe levels. The more time you have the less energy/second (Watts) you have to absorb in a crash. With shorter cars, it is often fact that the crash structure before the occupant is also shorter. Given a specific speed, this means there is less time to absorb energy in an impact, increasing the likelihood of serious injury or even death. Cars like the Smart ForTwo boasts extremely strong crash structures, but they also do a terrible job at absorbing energy.

I knew a guy who was a Fortwo fanboy. He got into an accident with his vehicle and sustained major injuries while the other driver was able to walk away. He couldn't afford to pay the medical bills he accrued. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I firmly believe if he had been driving a larger vehicle with a longer crash structure, he would have also been okay.

I would argue that the massive Bro-Trucks and giant SUV's are the problem in that equation. I hate not being able to buy any of the super cool, tiny, foreign cars for fear of becoming paste under a truck driven by someone who has no need for, and doesn't pay enough attention to safely use, a vehicle that obnoxiously large. It's a lot of the same problems that motorcycles and scooters have, the vehicle itself is pretty safe as long as you aren't a moron and wear helmets, jackets, etc, but the real danger in riding is almost exclusively from other drivers on the road who won't bother to look before swerving into your lane and smashing your vehicle beneath them. Even if a FourTwo collided with a modern sedan, the sedan would crumple, making the occupants of both vehicles significantly safer than if it hit a larger vehicle that was structurally reinforced to handle the weight of the vehicle, the torque from the engine, and the stress of towing.

My anecdotes are much more tame, but my sister's Baby-daddy has an F-250 super duty that he parks at our place on his visitation days and parking behind it makes me really uncomfortable because his license plate is about level with the dash in my Civic. He could just back up on top of my car with no problems if he were so inclined, or just didn't look before reversing. My car is stock USDM with no adjustments to the ride height and his only has dealer upgrades, no real aftermarket stuff. My car would be perfectly safe if I were to hit or be hit by a normal vehicle, even vans and most SUV's would be ok because my car would take the hit in a crumple zone and safely buckle, keeping the majority of the force from reaching the cabin. Hell, I was able to smack into a ~110lb buck at 85 miles an hour and then drive for 400 miles after forcing the panel back out of the wheelwell because the crumpled metal deflected him away from the interior of the car instead of holding shape and sliding him over the hood.
No matter how safe I should be on the road, all of the crumple zones in the world can't protect me from a bumper that's just going directly over the safety features of my car in a crash

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

DEAR RICHARD posted:

You realize its a CVT right? So no actual gears.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Is that car auto-Jesus? I see a crown of thorns and at least the parts to make a cross.

It also has a pipe through the hatch, so it's got that stigmata going too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like how it's bent so much the doors don't line up anymore.