Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You know, I can't help but notice that when specifically prompted to call out Grace, no one took the opportunity to do so, and yet I managed to get called out for mistaking a Brazilian Portuguese accent for a Latin American Spanish accent on the same page

I feel like there's some bias going down in this thread.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
:v:

Edit: Sorry Dan, I guess that's just the rules of nature :smugdog:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 8, 2016

Gemcrim
May 26, 2014

Straight outta Sumaru
I actually played some SMW on the Wii U yesterday with someone, I think there is something weird with the momentum in this version for some reason, that or it's been too long since I played.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Were we supposed to call Grace out for sucking at Mario World or for sitting around letting Luigi win in that bumper kart mini-game? The latter was pretty cheap, and none to helpful to even himself.

Why does the AI have it out for you? This series must be infuriating when playing solely against the computer characters. Amiibo Festival was far more pleasant.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Danaru posted:

You know, I can't help but notice that when specifically prompted to call out Grace, no one took the opportunity to do so, and yet I managed to get called out for mistaking a Brazilian Portuguese accent for a Latin American Spanish accent on the same page

I feel like there's some bias going down in this thread.

Well, if it's any consolation, I was very impressed with your SMW skill. You got poo poo on for being bad at Metal Gear but no one complimented you on how good you are at Super Mario World. That ain't right.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean you beelined for the star road so that sorta speaks for itself :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, if it's any consolation, I was very impressed with your SMW skill. You got poo poo on for being bad at Metal Gear but no one complimented you on how good you are at Super Mario World. That ain't right.

SSNeoman posted:

I mean you beelined for the star road so that sorta speaks for itself :v:

I was going to save this for tomorrow, but the comedic timing is too perfect.

[S-006: Platform Competence]
Let's Play Super Mario World Episode 3 - It's Fine

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Gemcrim posted:

I actually played some SMW on the Wii U yesterday with someone, I think there is something weird with the momentum in this version for some reason, that or it's been too long since I played.

Nah the momentum is accurate, but the Wii U VC release has a strangely high amount of input lag, so you have to react to stuff earlier than you would playing on a real SNES on a CRT.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The real question is why didn't you go get the Top Secret Area.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It was 100% completion turned into a speedrun.

while drunk :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

It was 100% completion turned into a speedrun.

while drunk :v:

Yeah I don't mind Dan suddenly being terrible. I blame the alcohol.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Star Worlds are all p hard, though I think the game expects you to have already figured out a few ways to get infinite lives and powers. Like with the TOP SECRET thing.

And yes Torpedo Teds can eat a dick. They are indeed in only one level and they are completely invincible.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pyroi posted:

The real question is why didn't you go get the Top Secret Area.

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I don't mind Dan suddenly being terrible. I blame the alcohol.

Excuse you :colbert: I murdered a ghost, went to space, and killed a dinosaur in a clown car. Meanwhile Mario died before even reaching the second castle.

Also for the record I knew where the top secret area was, I just also hate ghosts and didn't want to go there. My life grinding was more fun anyway :smugbert:

On a different note, the next two episodes to go up will be the final two Ground Zeroes episodes, then we have three episodes we did of Mario Maker to tide us over until we can play Phantom Pain. We're also at least twice as drunk for Mario Maker than we were for Mario World.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Whatever happened to MGS4? I've been looking forward to drunken ramblings over the cutscenes which will make the cutscenes so much more bearable.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever happened to MGS4? I've been looking forward to drunken ramblings over the cutscenes which will make the cutscenes so much more bearable.

We'll be playing MGS4 last, mainly because I really want to play Phantom Pain

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, did I just hear Grace pronounce rosé as "Rosie"? Worst LP voted 0/10 :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

[img]http://lpix.org/2431827/metal_gear_solid_ground_zeroes_logo[1].png[/img]

Let's Play MGSV Ground Zeroes Episode 4 - The Memories Will Never Disappear

Welcome to another episode consisting entirely of me blundering around forgetting where my target is, and also squealing like a moron about how much I love Metal Gear.

That's... pretty much every episode isn't it

EDIT: By the way, we'll be streaming and starting out the Phantom Pain on May 17th!

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 11, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Danaru posted:

[timg]http://lpix.org/2431827/metal_gear_solid_ground_zeroes_logo[1].png[/timg]

Let's Play MGSV Ground Zeroes Episode 4 - The Memories Will Never Disappear

Welcome to another episode consisting entirely of me blundering around forgetting where my target is, and also squealing like a moron about how much I love Metal Gear.

That's... pretty much every episode isn't it

Yeah that's going to be every episode

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The Policenauts poster becomes a Metal Gear: Ghost Babel poster. Also, Otacon's stock footage of Policenauts when he talks about mechs is I believe replaced with Zone of the Enders 2 footage. There's also a Zone of the Enders 2 poster instead of another Policenauts poster. Speaking of old stuff that gets referenced constantly in Kojima's works, I propose you at least try to get video capture of a SegaCD emulator and play Snatcher as a hellstream. You may want a navigator for it because it's a bit cryptic as to what you're supposed to do to progress sometimes. I nominate myself for it. You could also try the patched version of Policenauts, but I don't know jack about how to move that one forward.

Alternatively, for something that isn't a visual novel, try out Boktai. It's basically Kojima's pet project and references Metal Gear a few times. It requires cheat codes to actually function outside of the original hardware, unless you can shine a UV light on a Game Boy Player, but it's a very fun little action adventure series that got some hilariously bad localization history. The third game never came out due to poor sales, which also resulted in a crossover with some Megaman games getting all of the crossover content for it ripped out. Not just dummied out, completely removed in several cases. And then the DS one tried to pretend that it's a completely different series and not just the fourth game.

Lastly, for the rest of the junk Kojima worked on, there's Penguin Adventure for MSX (which gets a single reference), Zone of the Enders (a semi-difficult but fun series. Unless you have a problem with robots having literal cockpits), and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (a solid enough modern God of War-type game, if a little too heavy on QTEs).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can play Snatcher pretty much from memory. Grace and I have been meaning to do a legit LP of that for a while now. We played it over a stream before we actually started recording it, similar to how we played (most of) mass effect 1 together. I can also nail pretty much every battle except for the super insector fight with little difficulty after getting a perfect score on the simulator :smuggo: while sober

Zone of the Enders is a game I wanted to LP for a while now, but whenever I float the idea past Grace, he's not interested. Blame it on him.

And yes I showed him the dicks, I couldn't believe that didn't win him over either. :(

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boktai is so good. And 2 literally has Snake in it as an optional shopkeeper or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

[img]http://lpix.org/2431827/metal_gear_solid_ground_zeroes_logo[1].png[/img]

Let's Play MGSV Ground Zeroes Episode 5 - Pleasure of Tension

Speaking of Snatchers :v:

Something I'm kinda upset about forgetting, down where we got the Deja Vu tape is a tape that actually has Pleasure of Tension on it :(

Just a reminder, we'll be streaming Phantom Pain on May 17th! There'll probably be another couple side ops in the mean time

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Re: American rations, it varies wildly depending on what the entree is. The spaghetti with meat sauce one is pretty good! In fact, most of the pasta or fruit-based items (IE the stuff that naturally lends itself to long-term preservation) are pretty good. Their condiment packages (apple butter, cheese spread, etc) are also top-quality. The drink mixes and crackers are a crapshoot but generally range from "meh" to "pretty alright." HOWEVER, if you want lovely things, anything that involves a proper protein is usually pretty bad. See also: "The Five Fingers of Death," aka the mini hot dog MRE. There's also the rumor that the gum is a constipating agent, but it's never been confirmed.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Whoa, whoa, hold up. Why do the snatchers burn with blue fire when they die the same way the Frogs do in MGS4? Are they actually snatchers? Is that a thing? :psyduck:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Captain Bravo posted:

Whoa, whoa, hold up. Why do the snatchers burn with blue fire when they die the same way the Frogs do in MGS4? Are they actually snatchers? Is that a thing? :psyduck:

That's a completely unrelated thing. They spontaneously combust upon death so you can't investigate their technological/genetic enhancements. It's the equivalent of what happens with The Cobras in MGS3. That said, the same Dr Madnar from SNATCHER exists in the Metal Gear universe, so... As for why they burn up here, it's just a gameplay thing that lets you confirm whether you killed a SNATCHER or a human. Possibly also a failsafe in the event of a blue-green colorblind player who can't see the difference in marker glow.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh, ok. I'd never played Snatchers, so I thought the blue fire was a canon thing that happens there and was being referenced here. Maybe it's the other way around, then? :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was gonna bitch how they used the most lackluster tracks from MGR:R for this mission but then I discovered that Bayonetta is in Smash Bros and my mind's pretty blown :psyduck:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 14, 2016

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Danaru posted:

Just a reminder, we'll be streaming Phantom Pain on May 17th! There'll probably be another couple side ops in the mean time

What time is this, I need to know when I can start saying that Dan sucks at tactical espionage

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Unfortunately it looks like we'll have to cancel tonight's stream, Grace had to buy a new laptop since his other one was in a constant state of exploding, and the new one doesn't have the right jacks for his mic :smith:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Ah, that sucks :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey folks, meant to have a side-op up today in lieu of the stream being cancelled, but someone forgot to upload the episode from Grace's external drive to Grace's new laptop, since it was originally on Grace's old laptop, then upload it from Grace's new laptop to the channel, which Grace has the credentials for. Not pointing any fingers though it's fine.

In the mean time, This is the most adorable thing ever and I love the Phantom Pain so much

EDIT: WILD CARD BITCHES I WASN'T EVEN GONNA RELEASE THIS BUT I'M BIRTHDAY DRUNK SO LET'S HURTLE THROUGH THE FLAMING WRECKAGE AND LAUGH IN THE FACE OF GOD

[S-007: Multiverse Platform Competence]
Let's Play Mario Maker Episode 1 - Spike Hat Out Of Ten

We were VERY drunk for this, to the point that I was just going to clear this off youtube. (Un)Fortunately Liquid Dan has a different agenda.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 18, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If only Huey were there so you could put the cigar out in his eye.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Danaru posted:

Hey folks, meant to have a side-op up today in lieu of the stream being cancelled, but someone forgot to upload the episode from Grace's external drive to Grace's new laptop, since it was originally on Grace's old laptop, then upload it from Grace's new laptop to the channel, which Grace has the credentials for. Not pointing any fingers though it's fine.

In the mean time, This is the most adorable thing ever and I love the Phantom Pain so much

I think Dan's posted this before, but it's relevant again.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

He has, but it doesn't matter because that needs to be posted every few pages anyway. :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Happy birthday Dan!

And yeah I can see some cool idea but uhhh yeah. It's like the liquid Dan approach to Mario level design :v:

I legit liked Emily's level though. That was the sort of :catdrugs: I want more of.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 18, 2016

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Happy Birthday Dan!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Happy birthday Dan!

And yeah I can see some cool idea but uhhh yeah. It's like the liquid Dan approach to Mario level design :v:

If you wanna see level design, look up Gr4c3 and play Aboot Boots, I made that and I'm proud of it y'all should leave a nice comment about it I tried hard :colbert:

Also that level was the second time Grace came to Canada so it has extra happy memories associated to it. "Do You Belly" is my favourite level Grace made, but that one's pretty advanced.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

[S-007: Multiverse Platform Competence]
Let's Play Mario Maker Episode 2 - #IStandWithThwimp

So apparently they added a TON of poo poo since I played this a year before. I was happy enough just with checkpoints. :allears: I really enjoy this game as much as I have gripes with the level design a lot of people choose to go with.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Much better levels this time through. I legit liked most of those. Bob-ombs were always a finicky mechanic imo.

Auto-marios were cooler when people did stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwDFbGYlwJU (even if it is meme-y as gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Danaru posted:

Hey cool. We are birthday buddies!