Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

I just use local TV. My roamio ota was $299 with lifetime sub.

Honestly though, Roamio/Bolt support for streaming apps kind of sucks. It's gotten better but they are still slower/etc. than on dedicated streamers and have other limitations. And the way they handle apps in the interface is kind of stupid in my opinion. As for local media, Plex works but is inferior to how it plays on other platforms.

You have to really, really care about Live TV first - and also really want the "one box" solution - to go for that. Which, if you do, means it works great for you. But it's not a top tier solution for streaming apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My Roamio OTA does 1080p plex and all the other apps are native ui's. Dont really see the problem. All the apps show up when i push the tivo button at the bottom of my recordings.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think it's a good solution for OTA, but there are folks like me who get poo poo OTA reception. Or folks who need, for some reason, to watch whatever horrible TLC show is on - or whatever they have on their cable package that they don't want to get rid of).

Also, the new regulations could make something like the Xbox One be useful as a tuner/dvr and not just a guide.

The real benefit is going to come when people like my parents, whose eyes glaze over when I tell them how to switch receiver inputs, can ease into online streaming while maintaining their cable lifeline.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wanna replace my aging HTPC but this time I don't wanna build anything.

Are there and small profile HTPC's or mini PC's on the market that you guys would recommend?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

I wanna replace my aging HTPC but this time I don't wanna build anything.

Are there and small profile HTPC's or mini PC's on the market that you guys would recommend?

The i3 Intel NUCs look like they kickass. In canadabux it looks like you could get a really nice, fully capable HTPC that makes no sound and has like a 9 square inch footprint for around $900 (including win 10). There's some assembly required but I think it's just plugging in RAM and an SSD and installing the OS. They're much cheaper in the US.

Or a Raspberry Pi 3 with openElec. I don't think you need much more than the computer to do HD video and stuff, but I didn't look into it much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So my motherboard came and it only came with an atx splitter for two devices. Does this mean it only pulls enough power from the dc adapter (and I need a power supply for more) for two drives or just that I need to buy my own splitter? It has six SATA 3 ports on the board.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm still using my older Celeron based NUC with the latest Kodi running more demanding skins and it runs really smooth all the time. An i3 is totally overkill for HTPC, unless you want to play games I guess, but then you need a real videocard. My NUC handles emulators well, though I haven't tried to emulate anything more powerful than a dreamcast.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The harddrive in this new build is really loud. What kind of software things can I do to make it more quiet? It holds all the movies and shows so it's a little important.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Replace it

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Replace it

Is that a warranty thing? I ordered it through amazon so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming here. "Harddrive is too loud, please send another one" doesn't seem like a legitimate request.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No it's a "you can't really solve this in software and it's probably just inherent to the hardware" thing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tuyop posted:

Is that a warranty thing? I ordered it through amazon so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming here. "Harddrive is too loud, please send another one" doesn't seem like a legitimate request.

Some hard drives have loud heads. Buy a different model.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
On this new build, with a 2.05ghz quad core, kodi is maxing out my processor on 1080p playback. Is this expected, or what? I thought a Raspberry Pi could manage 1080p.

Edit: enabled DXVA and disabled windows defender and 1080p playback is hovering around 70%, which is fine I guess.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 13, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

On this new build, with a 2.05ghz quad core, kodi is maxing out my processor on 1080p playback. Is this expected, or what? I thought a Raspberry Pi could manage 1080p.

Edit: enabled DXVA and disabled windows defender and 1080p playback is hovering around 70%, which is fine I guess.

The RPi uses hardware decoding, x264 is decoded on a purpose built chip, the CPU isn't used at all unless hardware decoding is disabled.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tuyop posted:

Either the file you're playing is some retarded format that isn't decodable in hardware or something is really messed up in your Kodi install or GPU drivers preventing hardware decoding from working properly.

Right now I'm hovering between 1-2% CPU usage while playing a 35 megabit per second 1080p copy of Force Awakens.

No modern system should have really any CPU usage while playing 1080p content.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, after digging down a little bit and updating my drivers, I see that Kodi is hanging out at 4-7% CPU utilization no matter what it plays. Other things are taking up the balance up to 25-40%. Is it recommended to pre-optimize media if it'll be streaming to an Xbox One over wifi?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I randomly can't fullscreen a video in the Plex Web App as of today. I click the fullscreen button and the arrows on the button change direction like it's been maximized and the next click would un-fullscreen it. I'm using Chrome. Youtube and Twitch both fullscreen fine. Any ideas?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Could try hitting f11. The fullscreen button still works for me on chrome but maybe something weird broke/I haven't gotten a chrome update yet. I'm on Version 50.0.2661.102 m of chrome.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Is this the right thread to ask about streaming boxes? I think I changed my mind, and instead of building a frankenbox HTPC I'm now looking at either a ROKU or a FireTV. What's the deal with these things? They're just packed with streaming apps, is that it? Are they pretty quick? One of my biggest complaints with my current home theater setup is that it takes loving forever for Netflix and Amazon to load and to search.

Honestly, all I want is something that streams Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Spotify and will run it through a 5.1 system. Aside from that, I want to network it and stream movies off of a network hard drive/my desktop system. The networked part is optional honestly. I mostly want to get out of this lovely Panasonic HT system.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Instead of building a frankenbox HTPC I'm now looking at either a ROKU or a FireTV. W

People will probably advocate both of these platforms, and to be honest they are both good. I have owned and used both, and I prefer the Roku. I use like you are looking for, instead of an HTPC. Yes, they load decently fast and work well. To me the pros and cons break out like this:

FireTV : is an android box and if you are into loving around with it you do stuff like run Kodi. Apps have a bit more variation in the way they look, sometimes thats good, sometimes not. Its made by amazon, and thus the real purpose of it is to get you to buy poo poo from amazon, meaning they heavily promote stuff inside their own ecosystem, and when you search for things, you will get results from what amazon is selling.

Roku: Cleaner launcher design, apps usually are based around the Roku spec, meaning they often look nearly identical to each other, and its not the coolest looking interface. One of platforms like this that has both google play and amazon prime available. Universal search is pretty cool, and much more useful than amazons search imo. Not customizable at all.

Personally, I the better universal search, simpler interface and not being actively sold to, made me prefer the Roku. I also had occasional problems with plex on FireTV, no problems on Roku.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Roku is good because it has all the apps one would want to use for streaming. Plex is available as well for local media streaming, though it will require transcoding everything so make sure your computer/server is powerful enough to handle all of that.

Fire TV is the only other big streaming device that has access to Amazon. Kodi can also be installed for local video playback but does require some fuckery to get it working.

Shield Android TV is probably one of the best options though Amazon won't release an app for Android TV devices (save for Android TV televisions with the software baked into them) to access its streaming video service.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tivo gets amazon as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Kodi apparently has Amazon in some of the latest builds as well, though I'm not sure if that works on the Android port or is just for Win/Lin and maybe Mac.

edit: Apparently if your build has "inputstream.mpd" it'll work after installing Widevine and an appropriate plugin.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 16, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolrah posted:

Kodi apparently has Amazon in some of the latest builds as well, though I'm not sure if that works on the Android port or is just for Win/Lin and maybe Mac.

edit: Apparently if your build has "inputstream.mpd" it'll work after installing Widevine and an appropriate plugin.

Source?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I run Plex Media Server on an old iMac with a hard drive that I'm pretty sure is beginning to fail. I keep getting slow performance and "resource loader error" on all my Plex clients.

As such, I've been thinking about replacing the iMac with a dedicated i3 NUC. Right now for the NUC + 8GB RAM (2x4GB) + 128GB SSD I'm seeing around $365. Do these things go on sale frequently? Or at all? Or maybe go all bundled together for under $300? It's not super urgent that i get it right now, so if they do go on sale semi-frequently, I can afford to wait.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm not averse to building a box myself if someone points me to a good setup on pcpartpicker, but when I was looking at it earlier today the price seemed like it was going to come out to about the same as the NUC so I figured it would be easier to just go with the NUC.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 18, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

OldSenileGuy posted:

I run Plex Media Server on an old iMac with a hard drive that I'm pretty sure is beginning to fail. I keep getting slow performance and "resource loader error" on all my Plex clients.

As such, I've been thinking about replacing the iMac with a dedicated i3 NUC. Right now for the NUC + 8GB RAM (2x4GB) + 128GB SSD I'm seeing around $365. Do these things go on sale frequently? Or at all? Or maybe go all bundled together for under $300? It's not super urgent that i get it right now, so if they do go on sale semi-frequently, I can afford to wait.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm not averse to building a box myself if someone points me to a good setup on pcpartpicker, but when I was looking at it earlier today the price seemed like it was going to come out to about the same as the NUC so I figured it would be easier to just go with the NUC.

NUCs make decent easy Plex servers yes. I don't see them go on sale often so get the one you want now; an i3 should be more than enough for the CPU. Plex doesn't need super-fast storage but make sure you take USB ports in to account (you will probably want to use an external drive with it at some point, it only takes a 2.5 internally).

You really want to build yourself, look in to building a Freenas box. More expensive but done correctly can allow for a lot more storage. It is a big step up, learning curve wise, but worth looking in to if you want it all. And easy as poo poo to manage after you get it set up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat, sucks that they don't go on sale often. However, I did just find this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102092&cm_re=Core_i3_NUC-_-56-102-092-_-Product

This is the same one I was looking at on Amazon, but it comes with a free 8GB stick of RAM. Will I take a significant performance hit if I run it with 1x 8GB stick of RAM rather than 2x 4GB sticks?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
On an HTPC, doing nothing but playing media, you won't notice at all. 95% of the media you'll be playing will be hardware accelerated. Dual channel won't make any visible difference.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Except for loving HEVC files. Also, I'm so upset about a $300 price tag for an NUC. It came out to about $800CAD including OS and a 4tb hdd.

In new box news, my motherboard just died. Won't POST, troubleshooting points to failed board. I've had it for two weeks so I'm sending it back to Newegg.

This kind of makes me think I should send everything back and get an HEVC-capable system. We'd get about $400 back for this one, so are there any mini-ITX builds that'll hardware accelerate HEVC?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
HEVC trashes detail so badly though it's not worth using right now. If that is a thing you really care about though, a Skylake NUC does HEVC in hardware, and it's 20 bucks more than the Broadwell one linked above. Either way, that still won't make a noticeable difference between single channel and dual channel RAM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269814

quote:

Amazon Prime / inputstream.mpd
These builds include the inputstream.mpd addon, which is enabled by default.

With inputstream.mpd it is possible to view Amazon Prime content. To do so, you will need to install the libwidevinecdm.so library:
code:
curl -Ls http://nmacleod.com/public/libreelec/getwidevine.sh -o /tmp/getwidevine.sh && sh /tmp/getwidevine.sh
Available Amazon Prime addons (valid Amazon Prime account required):

https://github.com/liberty-developer/plu...me_instant
https://github.com/phil65/plugin.video.amazon65

I'm not sure if this is something that's planned to be in the official release of Kodi 17, but Milhouse is one of the official Kodi team members and he claims he doesn't want to do anything in his builds which would make someone depend on them once official builds are available for a given version, so I'd assume at least LibreELEC if not standard Kodi will be including it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So right now I've got the bug to mess with my current working-but-kinda-dumb setup. I have a great big gaming rig connected to my TV that I use for gaming (obviously), torrenting Linux ISOs, and occasionally watching videos. Needless to say, it's a bit loud. Not massively so, but it would be nice to be able to turn it off except when playing games. I also have a WD MyCloud thing that works, but is very limited in what it can do, being a slow ARM thing. I'd like to set up a Plex server, which I don't think it can reasonably do. One of the NUCs posted above seems ideal, and I have a 120 GB SSD sitting around, so I just need some RAM? I don't mind messing around with FreeNAS, so that should be good enough. Can I use the MyCloud as storage with it? I imagine I'd ultimately need more, but for now the 4 TB should help a lot.

Am I on the right track?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolrah posted:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269814

I'm not sure if this is something that's planned to be in the official release of Kodi 17, but Milhouse is one of the official Kodi team members and he claims he doesn't want to do anything in his builds which would make someone depend on them once official builds are available for a given version, so I'd assume at least LibreELEC if not standard Kodi will be including it.

That's pretty interesting, thanks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

That's pretty interesting, thanks.

If I'm not mistaken Widevine is how Netflix is supported in Chrome on Linux as well, so it seems reasonable to think that this might allow for native Netflix support at some point.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

G-Prime posted:

HEVC trashes detail so badly though it's not worth using right now. If that is a thing you really care about though, a Skylake NUC does HEVC in hardware, and it's 20 bucks more than the Broadwell one linked above. Either way, that still won't make a noticeable difference between single channel and dual channel RAM.

drat, I already ordered the other one because it came with the free RAM. On the other hand, like you said widespread good HEVC is still probably a couple years out, so by that time there will probably be something better available so I'm not really stressing about it.

In terms of storage for the NUC, I know I don't need much because it just needs to be the OS and a little extra space for some random files, so I was looking at 128GB SSDs (or 256GB if I can find a good deal.) Is there any significant performance or reliability difference between the 2.5"SSDs and the M.2 style SSD's? It looks like the system can take both, so what's the difference besides the form factor?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there ANY alternative out there to watching DRM channels like HBO through a HDHomeRun other than Windows Media Center? I can't upgrade my main PC to Windows 10 because I use WMC + Xbox 360 as my cable box. Kodi with HDHomeRun add on works for non-DRM channels, but I've had no luck getting anything to pick up HBO.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Medullah posted:

Is there ANY alternative out there to watching DRM channels like HBO through a HDHomeRun other than Windows Media Center? I can't upgrade my main PC to Windows 10 because I use WMC + Xbox 360 as my cable box. Kodi with HDHomeRun add on works for non-DRM channels, but I've had no luck getting anything to pick up HBO.

AFAIK the HDHomerun Android app (possibly only the beta version) supports DRM content as well. If you have an Android device hooked to your TV it's worth a shot.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Has anyone had an opportunity to look at Emby for AppleTv 4 yet? Curious how it compares to Plex.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cross-posting this from the tv thread as this is definitely a better place for it as I assume way more people would be using a USB dongle for their DVB-T stuff.

I bought a RTL2832U-based one for other purposes a while ago but I'm now using it for TV with the included BlazeHDTV software. It works fine but looks ugly - there's a lot of edge aliasing, compression artifacts and blurriness. Luckily in this case the channel has a 720p stream as well which allows me to compare and watch it instead.

So the question really is, is that normal for over the air HDTV, or is it an issue with the hardware, software, or settings? Examples below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anything digital (DVB-T, ATSC) you're just pulling a bitstream off the air and decoding it. If you're not seeing any macroblocking or similar MPEG artifacts, it's just lovely encoding at the source (or potentially re-encoding at the transmit site). There's not really much for the receiver to get wrong.