Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I don't read DC but I think their last logo was brilliant in its simplicity- one letter with an implied "page turn" creating both letters, their version of the FedEx arrow or Amazon a to z "smile" that told you what the company was centrally about without outright stating it. The new one looks lovely, and really does feel like DC once again trying to awkwardly copy Marvel's redesigned, simplistic logo.

I don't know how you can argue "simplicity" when it looked so little like the letters "DC" they had to spell out what company the logo was for in text under the logo. It was a garbage logo. On the other hand it was great because pretty much the entire time it was appearing on comic books DC has been a garbage company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

That ain't bad.

Needs to be tilted more and have a few stars surrounding it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

New logo is better than the current one, but still worse than the last few by a fair margin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm into it. Now we know every cover's trade dress we've seen so far has been a temp mock-up (if slightly) maybe we'll actually get new series logos.

e: Quick mock-up:

That ain't bad.

DC needs to grow a pair and design a new Superman logo. That one is a classic but it's dated as hell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

DC needs to grow a pair and design a new Superman logo. That one is a classic but it's dated as hell.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

If you're gonna propose that sorta thing, break out the MS Paint, bud!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You're a monster.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

You're a monster.

I'm just showing you what the reckless stupid notion you brought up could, and most likely would lead to.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Looks like it belongs on that aborted Bugs Bunny cartoon from several years back.

This one

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The new Superman logo is just the old one but with weird bands and piping around it and less red.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Logo by Jim Lee

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Where's my Four Loko and Monster Energy?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

gently caress I'm great

What I definitely do want is a new Batman logo. The spiky thing was interesting, but just let it belong exclusively to Snyder/Capullo's run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 18, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The C looks like it's trying to suck its own dick.

The sticker took some getting used to, but I liked that they could customize it with character specific art or flourishes. Hoping they can do something similar with this 70s retro thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Madkal posted:

Looks like it belongs on that aborted Bugs Bunny cartoon from several years back.

This one

That wasn't aborted. Oh no, that one lived. For two seasons I believe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol dc what are you doing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kenneth Rocafort Superman #1 variant

Neal Adams Green Arrow #1 variant

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have they revealed the Joker's real name yet?

I mean, it was revealed back in 2000 or so, but it might be different in the New 52 / DC You / Rebirth:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This is a page running in today's comics before an info section on the upcoming Batman comics.

I don't think it's also an ad for shoes. I did have to check the small print at the side.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 18, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's an ad of an ad. I don't really see the point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In Future Quest you can tell Parker left JL United too soon. He's still using the mysterious space and time warping anomalies concept.

Also, it's weird that they ended American Alien on a Lobo fight..

but who's complaining.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 18, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it works better how they have it. The full spine of the D makes it weightier or something. Any typography nerds around?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's a pretty common thing to use asymmetry like that since it ends up looking symmetrical, but still funny.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I don't read DC but I think their last logo was brilliant in its simplicity- one letter with an implied "page turn" creating both letters, their version of the FedEx arrow or Amazon a to z "smile" that told you what the company was centrally about without outright stating it.
Except it didn't look like a page turn at all. It looked like a peeling sticker. Look how sharp a crease that is---nobody turns a page that way. It also didn't work in black and white at all since the gradient was integral to the form (poor logo design 101), and the fact that they had to add "DC Comics" underneath it (pretty ungracefully, too--look at all that clunky empty space next to "DC" and above "COMICS") tells you it wasn't strong enough on its own (poor logo design 102). It also wasn't simple--you had the peel, the gradient, the text underneath, the dark blue, the light blue, the black...bleh.

FilthyImp posted:

The sticker took some getting used to, but I liked that they could customize it with character specific art or flourishes.
Except they never did, outside of the initial reveal brief to show what they could do. If they ever did creative things with it on the actual comics, I never saw it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it works better how they have it. The full spine of the D makes it weightier or something. Any typography nerds around?
:wave: I think it's positioned fine. It looks pushed to the left when it's geometrically symmetrical.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 18, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This J. Michael Strazcyncski wonder woman is loving terrible.

I'm so close to the end now, that's the only reason I'm even still reading, but Jesus christ on a bagel this is garbage compared to basically any other writers from before the reboot.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I'm so close to the end now, that's the only reason I'm even still reading, but Jesus christ on a bagel this is garbage compared to basically any other writers from before the reboot.
It is not good, no. It seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeems like it's at least building up to some kind of huge reveal that makes this 14(?)-part story worth the effort but guess what!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is a page running in today's comics before an info section on the upcoming Batman comics.

I don't think it's also an ad for shoes. I did have to check the small print at the side.

This ad is good because I also own that exact Levi's jacket.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
"PICK THAT loving COMIC BOOK BACK UP RIGHT NOW"

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 18, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think this is some kind of meta-ad, advertising that DC does indeed still advertise. "Don't worry DC fans, we're going to put up ads around your city so that your non-comic-reading friends can see them and ask 'so what's Batman up to?', and you can start telling them for 20 seconds before they go 'nevermind, forget I asked'"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kenneth Rocafort Superman #1 variant

Neal Adams Green Arrow #1 variant

Uh, I think Rocafort is the only artist that has actually bothered to draw Superdad as being older than Superbro. The Neal Adams cover is pretty sweet.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, it's weird that they ended American Alien on a Lobo fight..

but who's complaining.

I hoestly thought this was the weakest issue of the series, dialogue was stilted and the whole thing being just an extended DB-like fight was kind of boring. I liked the series by the excellent way Landis writes Clark interactions with everyone else and that was absent here for most of the issue.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I've been out of comics for a few years now. Superman has a kid? jfc

Is Damian Wayne still as cool as he was before he died? Looks like he's plastered all over the place now since he's in TT and that other team-up book with Supermans kid. Makes me think he probably sucks now. The psychopathic Damian was best.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Titans Hunt continues to be the cockteasingest series ever conceived.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'd be upset if a comic about super-powered teenagers was satisfying your cock, frankly

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I'd be upset if a comic about super-powered teenagers was satisfying your cock, frankly

She's actually a 40 year old creation, she only looks 15.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Travis343 posted:

Uuuuuuuuum I said Titans, not Teen Titans. Learn your team names ya DORK

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Jim lee is saying on his facebook page that "The nooks and angles are meant to evoke the Superman "S", the Wonder Woman "WW" emblem and the Bat logo"

Not seeing it at all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gninjagnome posted:

Jim lee is saying on his facebook page that "The nooks and angles are meant to evoke the Superman "S", the Wonder Woman "WW" emblem and the Bat logo"

Not seeing it at all.
Yeah, that didn't come across whatsoever, if that was even ever the case.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

There was like 2 cool moments in that run, and I believe both came after JMS took his ball and went home. One was the little girl's drawing of the classic Wonder Woman design, which was great as a "what the gently caress?" moment for the characters and made it seem like 'fixing' the warped world was the end goal of the story. And the other was a single page splash of Diana blocking a bunch of javelins with her bracelets which looked badass as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

There was like 2 cool moments in that run, and I believe both came after JMS took his ball and went home. One was the little girl's drawing of the classic Wonder Woman design, which was great as a "what the gently caress?" moment for the characters and made it seem like 'fixing' the warped world was the end goal of the story. And the other was a single page splash of Diana blocking a bunch of javelins with her bracelets which looked badass as hell.

I did kinda like Dr. Psycho acknowledging that this was basically a lovely Elseworlds story, also. Because if you bound this in a single volume and told me it was a companion to his Superman: Earth One, I'd believe that in a second.