Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I would never quote a web comic in RL in any of my numerous fantasies involving human interaction on a social level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
Sometimes I quote achewood irl and then immediately transition into a long winded explanation of all the characters and my favorite funny jokes from it

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Pony Incident posted:

Sometimes I quote achewood irl and then immediately transition into a long winded explanation of all the characters and my favorite funny jokes from it

I carry cards with a short example strip and an explanation on the back to costume parties where I dress as ray

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My dialect is 40% Achewood, 50% Homestar Runner, and 10% assorted snorts and hisses.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i am a webcomic irl

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I dressed up as Ray for Halloween a few years ago. I spent the entire party explaining to people what Achewood was, but I expected that (in fact, I had a bunch of my favorite one-off Ray strips printed out and handed one to anyone who asked about my costume)

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
from time to time I think about the goon that had people sign a print out of the "roast beef's wedding" strip at his actual weddings, instead of a guest book

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I feel like, "Never have said this stuff!" or, "I only know enough to replicate every shortcoming that I have," will become useful to me at some point.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

from time to time I think about the goon that had people sign a print out of the "roast beef's wedding" strip at his actual weddings, instead of a guest book

That's me.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

LordSaturn posted:

I feel like, "Never have said this stuff!" or, "I only know enough to replicate every shortcoming that I have," will become useful to me at some point.

I figured the line was supposed to be "never have I said this stuff"

Edit: oh wait I think my brain just wrapped itself around that line

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I often invoke the Achewood scale of judging the meanness of an adult beverage by how scared of the cops you are after you drink some of it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The only real life influence Achewood had on me was that I tried Grey Goose, Ketel 1, Chivas etc

My faith in Ray's booze taste was severely tested when he was praising "crispy Stellas". Stella Artois (or 'wifebeater' in the UK) is dogshit lager.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The only real life influence Achewood had on me was that I tried Grey Goose, Ketel 1, Chivas etc

My faith in Ray's booze taste was severely tested when he was praising "crispy Stellas". Stella Artois (or 'wifebeater' in the UK) is dogshit lager.

I would be distinctly dissapointed if Ray had anything but lovely taste in booze.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You can do whatever you want in life.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

I would be distinctly dissapointed if Ray had anything but lovely taste in booze.

True. Otoh Bellinis are loving ace l.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Stella is marketed as a high-end, premium beer in the US, so it makes perfect sense Ray would be all about it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Toebone posted:

Stella is marketed as a high-end, premium beer in the US, so it makes perfect sense Ray would be all about it.

I just did a bit of research and found that "Stella is sold mostly to Americans that're trying to be fancy" and to be fair that does sum Ray up perfectly.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Americans don't understand beer.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I don't know a single person in the US that drinks Stella. And the American craft beer scene is so much better now than it used to be. You should try some (not Budweiser but craft beer).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I have heard tell that in North America Stella reps try to make sure that the price is pegged to Heineken, and must always be slightly more expensive than the latter as a result.

If true, it is really perfect that it's Ray's brew of choice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I don't know a single person in the US that drinks Stella. And the American craft beer scene is so much better now than it used to be. You should try some (not Budweiser but craft beer).

That comic is also over 10 years old.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My dad was big into Stella for a while, but that was years ago. I think he's gone back to Heineken since then.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

The American craft brew scene is a billion times better than anything I've seen in Europe.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

"Would you like light or dark?" - European bars, everywhere

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ColdPie posted:

"Would you like light or dark?" - European bars, everywhere

Are you sure you're not ordering turkey?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ColdPie posted:

The American craft brew scene is a billion times better than anything I've seen in Europe.

I think you're mistaken, every liquor store in the US sells nothing but Bud Light.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

"Stella is sold mostly to Americans that're trying to be fancy" and to be fair that does sum Ray up perfectly.

Like BMWs, yes.

Shibawanko posted:

Actually my father-in-law does and will never shut the gently caress up about it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Stella fills the same hole as Budweiser. You don't want a loving porter when it's eleventy degrees out.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Stella peaked maybe 6 years ago. That was when there was 1 craft brewery in my city. Now there's like 6, and 3 of them are pretty good.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

For the amusement of those of you east of the Atlantic, here is how Stella Artois is marketed in the U.S.

It should be noted that Stella Artois wasn't widely introduced into the U.S. market until 2001, so it didn't have decades of baggage to overcome in branding itself here.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
the dark souls of beers

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Stella Artois: That golden action is so crunchy

I don't even know what their current ad campaign is, but it can't be better than that

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
This is if you think about it an interesting juxtaposition, there's this "scene" of dummies treating beer like it's wine, and there's a popular mom beer that is marketed like some kinda ersatz wine. Achewood practically runs on such contrasts, you know, weed company, taco stand, Ray's uncle, Cornelius tattoo.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

JethroMcB posted:

Stella Artois: That golden action is so crunchy

I don't even know what their current ad campaign is, but it can't be better than that

See, I would buy some Stellas if I ever came across any, simply because of that line.
a crude drawing about cats is more effective than millions of dollars of adverts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You might buy one Stella but then you would probably choose not to buy any more than that.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I find that Stella is frequently really skunky when it's in bottles, maybe because they're green. It's always pretty good if it's on draft and really cold though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Clear bottles lead to skunky beer if they're exposed to direct sunlight. There's a reason the default is dark brown. Sleeman has had this issue for years, the clear bottle is kind of their whole image, but it means people stocking the cases in stores are given special instructions not to use the handy gripping punch holes because even letting in that tiny amount of light can gently caress up the taste.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

For the amusement of those of you east of the Atlantic, here is how Stella Artois is marketed in the U.S.

It should be noted that Stella Artois wasn't widely introduced into the U.S. market until 2001, so it didn't have decades of baggage to overcome in branding itself here.

Does the bartender correct your nomenclature when you order the beer?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So is Ketel One the Stella Artois of vodka then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
What if I put a Certs in my Stella, would it be all right then?