Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Eco-Villains were never really given much motivation so they always seemed like they wanted to pollute for the sake of pollution. I guess a couple of them were motivated by money (either Hoggish Greedly or Verminous Skum or both) but I'm pretty sure the Planeteers managed to persuade whichever one it was to change sides by convincing them that there was money to be made in recycling and alternative energies.

This seemed stupidly over-simplistic when I was a teenager, and unfortunately more and more realistic the longer I worked in the discipline as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Eco-Villains were never really given much motivation so they always seemed like they wanted to pollute for the sake of pollution. I guess a couple of them were motivated by money (either Hoggish Greedly or Verminous Skum or both) but I'm pretty sure the Planeteers managed to persuade whichever one it was to change sides by convincing them that there was money to be made in recycling and alternative energies.

I remember there was one episode where Greedly debuted a bacteria or whatever that ate garbage, selling it as a way for him to make money and be famous for doing something good for the environment. Unfortunately he totally didn't test it out and it turns out it wanted to eat out of control. It grew larger and larger, basically becoming The Blob. Cue Kwame and Wheeler combining their powers to make glass out of sand, as glass was one of the few things it wasn't eating.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Wheat Loaf posted:

The episode where one of the Planeteers goes to Belfast cracks me up. I believe it has a bit where one of the characters exclaims, "You Fenian Prod!" which is one of those things that's so stupid it loops back around and becomes amazing.

If you're feeling witty, you could say that the exchange, "You'd beat each other up over a name?", "Why not? 'Tis as good a reason as any!" actually does a pretty good job of summing up the Troubles. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJrovKgrTw

For those yet to experience the awe and majesty...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, Fu Man-Hitler!

His hatred is so powerful and intense that it's effectively pollution, so he's able to weaken Captain Planet by staring him down.

You just reminded me that one time, Captain planet was weakened by "Noise pollution" because cities are too loud :downs:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember one of the big selling points of the show was how important it was because they had all these celebrities doing voices! Like kids give a drat who voices their cartoons.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

There was an episode where they went back in time to stop somebody from giving Hitler with a fu manchu nuclear weapons

He was my favorite on My Name is Earl!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Captain Planet had good intentions, but instead it's a show about magically enchanted eco-terrorists backed by the goddess of the earth and their summoned superhero is somehow weak to the very things he's supposed to be fighting against.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's not even just his vulnerability to the things he has to fight (which is a bit like if every single Superman villain was powered by Kryptonite, come to think of it) - there's at least one episode where he's incapacitated by crude oil, even though it's a natural and unprocessed material, which you wouldn't think would hurt him. I suppose it was contemporaneous with the Gulf War, so oil gets to be like the token evil naturally-occurring substance. :v:

(Also, I think that's the most quoted post I've ever done. :D)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So... did anyone actually like that show? I don't remember a single kid who was a fan back then, and anytime it's come up since it's in the context of people talking about how bad it was. Did we all watch it every week just because it was on?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People liked it. There were always a few kids that dressed up as Captain Planet for Halloween when I was young. Also it's prevalent enough in society that there are dozens of parodies about the show.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It was on in the middle of a bunch of other cartoons so I'm sure a lot of us just watched it because hey, cartoons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would like them to remake Captain Planet, except instead of the 1990s, it would be set in the 1890s, and his enemies would be Gilded Age robber barons. And instead of earth, fire, air, water and heart, the rings would symbolise "Free Silver!", "Populism!", "Trust-Busting!", "Presbyterianism!" and "Heart!" ("By your powers combined, I am... WILLIAM JENNINGS BRYAN!")

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Davros1 posted:

I remember one of the big selling points of the show was how important it was because they had all these celebrities doing voices! Like kids give a drat who voices their cartoons.

I watched the first few episodes because it was hyped on WCW wrestling as Sting did the main voice and that was back when wrestling was silly fun entertainment that I enjoyed. I guess I was probably 11 or so at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't most/all the celebrities leave by the second season?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched it regularly. I was a kid and it was a cartoon with color-coded rings that did cool poo poo, except for the heart ring, even as a dumb kid I realized how rarely they could find a use for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It blew my mind when I watched Sgt. Slaughter on WWF and then saw him again on the GI Joe cartoon that played afterwards. I still wasn't sure at the time if wrestling was real or fake, so seeing him in a cartoon afterwards just messed me up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
According to Wikipedia, Captain Planet was a pretty long-runner by the standards of its medium as well. It went for six seasons and 113 episodes, which puts it behind He-Man, Real Ghostbusters and TMNT but ahead of stuff like GI Joe, Robotech, Transformers and Batman TAS.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

So... did anyone actually like that show? I don't remember a single kid who was a fan back then, and anytime it's come up since it's in the context of people talking about how bad it was. Did we all watch it every week just because it was on?
I loved it, but I was also a gullible kid who didn't question any of the bullshit they told us in the D.A.R.E. program so I wasn't the best judge of quality.

I remember having Captain Planet action figures. Thanks to the miracle of '90s technology, Captain Planet could be splashed with hot water and show splotches of pollution damage. The only other one I remember is the woman with the disfigured face, her hair rotated from how she normally wore it on the show to off to the side, revealing the scars.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Eco-Villains were never really given much motivation so they always seemed like they wanted to pollute for the sake of pollution.

Yeah, they were too realistic in that regard.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to Wikipedia, Captain Planet was a pretty long-runner by the standards of its medium as well. It went for six seasons and 113 episodes, which puts it behind He-Man, Real Ghostbusters and TMNT but ahead of stuff like GI Joe, Robotech, Transformers and Batman TAS.

Batman doesn't count due to the way that show evolved into other shows, first turning into "The Adventures of Batman and Robin" with its second Fox season, then getting picked back up on WB, piggybacking with the in-continuity Superman Adventures as "The New Batman Adventures", before both got folded into Justice League, and ultimately Justice League Unlimited, not to mention Batman Beyond kinda counting as a connected spin-off, and that version of Batman also crossing over with Static Shock a few times. (The Zeta Project, despite having a short life, also crossed over with Batman Beyond. The DCAU is vast)

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Captain planet was at least somewhat earnest in its 90's brand of eco friendlyness. Widget the world watcher was unmitigated pretentious garbage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

I would watch pretty much any cartoons that came on and I thought it was alright. It wasn't any stupider than Turtles/He-man/whatever and I did like the environmentalist message, although I could tell it was fairly bungled even as an 8 year old.

Nutsngum posted:

Captain planet was at least somewhat earnest in its 90's brand of eco friendlyness. Widget the world watcher was unmitigated pretentious garbage.

This, on the other hand, I saw when I was 4 and thought was the best thing ever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not even just his vulnerability to the things he has to fight (which is a bit like if every single Superman villain was powered by Kryptonite, come to think of it) - there's at least one episode where he's incapacitated by crude oil, even though it's a natural and unprocessed material, which you wouldn't think would hurt him. I suppose it was contemporaneous with the Gulf War, so oil gets to be like the token evil naturally-occurring substance. :v:

(Also, I think that's the most quoted post I've ever done. :D)

Oh good, I'm not the only one who stopped to think about that.

GWBBQ posted:

I loved it, but I was also a gullible kid who didn't question any of the bullshit they told us in the D.A.R.E. program so I wasn't the best judge of quality.

I remember having Captain Planet action figures. Thanks to the miracle of '90s technology, Captain Planet could be splashed with hot water and show splotches of pollution damage. The only other one I remember is the woman with the disfigured face, her hair rotated from how she normally wore it on the show to off to the side, revealing the scars.

The Wheeler figure shot sparks out an open hole in his chest. For Kids! I remember this because I was a huge killjoy as a child and pointed out "Hey, maybe my pal's 3 year old sister shouldn't be playing with a faulty lighter."

I'm all for spring loader rocket launchers, and tiny toy catapults with plastic boulders, which all parents lived in absolute terror of. But some things are just very :psyduck: in hindsight for what got a saftey pass for kid's products. Both for getting made in the first place, and parents not picking up on "Fire hazards are worse than sticky dinosaurs that might stain the wallpaper"

Section Z has a new favorite as of 21:39 on May 8, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

PiratePing posted:

This thread reminded me of how loving weird 90's Dutch children's programming was. They were full of nudity and absolutely-not-veiled jokes about sex and drugs.

The VPRO had a blank check and no oversight on this poo poo.

I mean how in the utter gently caress are you going to show a character called "Professor Horsecunt" to a bunch of seven year olds and think this is a good and sane idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh yea, this is what Verminous Skumm looks like. Yep, doesn't look like anything more than a rat man.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

because "Jaws" there is basically Vince from Recess.

So all black people look a like?

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, this is what Verminous Skumm looks like. Yep, doesn't look like anything more than a rat man.

Plus he was voiced by Jeff Goldblum

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ZDar Fan posted:

Plus he was voiced by Jeff Goldblum

I don't think he realized the character he was voicing was going to look like a /pol meme.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Do you always think of Jews at the sight of anthropomorphic rats?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

Do you always think of Jews at the sight of anthropomorphic rats?
__/
:smug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmAcULPMu4

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
It's like they gave a bunch of irreverent college bros total control over children's programming, it was great. Looking back it amazes me how little it mattered really. As scandalous as those things are to adults it just didn't register for us kids.

At home: Hm yes indeed professor Horsecunth's name is a bit embarrassing, now let's watch his hairy man-rear end jiggle while he talks about his erotic zones. This is a fine and normal sketch about brushing your teeth :geno:
At playground: HAHA YOU SAID BUTT :haw:

The very finest in 90's Eurotrash dance: Gabber hardstyle

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
At least in the 90's we only had to put up with Dougie the Pizza guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtH3OxCbXI

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WebDog posted:

At least in the 90's we only had to put up with Dougie the Pizza guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtH3OxCbXI

loving hell this takes me back. I think there were a couple of others werent there?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PiratePing posted:

The very finest in 90's Eurotrash dance: Gabber hardstyle

Waaaay back in the Napster days, I would come across remixes of songs that had "gabber remix" or "gabber version", and now I know what the hell they were talking about.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nutsngum posted:

loving hell this takes me back. I think there were a couple of others werent there?

A whole bunch of them, I think. Dougie was their advertising mascot for a while.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oh drat.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Someone found a training video for Sega of America game Testers. It's 90's as gently caress.

https://vimeo.com/166472288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Someone found a training video for Sega of America game Testers. It's 90's as gently caress.

https://vimeo.com/166472288

So many people smoking. What do you do on your breaks? I smoke.

Need to use a computer? Head on over to the designated computer area and use one of the shared computers.