Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

As your flickr account strips the info, I'd be intrigued to know what your setup is for that event. I'm guessing you must be shooting pretty fast shutter and high ISO then ramping up the black levels a bit to mask the noise somewhat (as well as giving them a really sweet styling)?. Super impressed.

I shoot with the following:

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 24-70 2.8 II
(sometimes the sigma 35mm 1.4)
I also sometimes have a radio trigger flash or two on the entry way depending if I can be bothered setting it up.

Basic settings I run at are ISO 3200, f2.9 and I tend to hover around 1/1000 because I hate motion blur. I shoot at 3200 ISO as the light falls off pretty quickly once they go outside the ring so I just adjust the shutter speed to taste and I tend to shoot a bit wider so I get as much coverage as possible for cropping.

Thanks for the love guys!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the info, always appreciated!

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Here's some favourites from an older show!

ReAwakening 2014 by bang3rachi, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So were you climbing with him or on top of the rock/mountain/cliff shooting back down? Because in either case, holy hell

E: Yo Bang3r that's some good poo poo too :cheers:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Finally getting to shoot this weekend. Gonna make some extra cash which is nice too. I'll post some of the keepers up when I get them done.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shot 2 games today. Tried standing on the sidelines instead Of behind goal to try something new. Second game was the worst bit of officiating I have ever seen. I think there were 7 yellows (bout equal, some should have not been, others weren't given) a fight broke out that I missed with my lens because I jumped up and took me a second to realize I shouldn't get involved. No reds after that. Also saw a penalty given to the other team because an attacker slipped with the nearest defender like 15 feet away and the ref just saw the dude on the ground and pointed to the spot. The keeper saved it so I got a good picture of that anyways.

The first ref was really really good. All the calls were right from a neutral perspective. This second one though seemed super biased. The team that hired me was against Latinos, and the ref was as well. I started to yell at him when poo poo went south for either side and asked if he wanted to look at the camera to prove that nothing happened. He just glared at me. I know I'm not supposed to do it, but when a player gets two footed, gets up, goes for the ball and he gets a card for "studs up" I was kinda pissed. And no, studs weren't up, and yes the ref shockingly didn't card the guy for the horrible tackle.

Editing them now, should have them up soon. Trying out LR5 since I got my hands on a copy and I'm having to navigate the app with no previous knowledge. Also gonna be hard at first cause the lighting was weird. Sunny, then rain, then sunny, then cloudy, then rain, then sun. The type of rain that makes it look like noise too.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Soulex posted:

The team that hired me was against Latinos, and the ref was as well. I started to yell at him when poo poo went south for either side and asked if he wanted to look at the camera to prove that nothing happened. He just glared at me. I know I'm not supposed to do it, but when a player gets two footed, gets up, goes for the ball and he gets a card for "studs up" I was kinda pissed.

Yeah, don't ever do that again. In addition to being wildly unprofessional, a series of photos can't ever prove nothing happening the same way video does. Don't ever interact with the ref that way as a photographer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's ridiculous, I'm surprised you didn't get kicked out for that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thirded. Not for nothing but you're super fortunate you didn't get booted out. Sports get everyone riled up but when you're there as a photographer you've basically gotta shut up and just shoot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, it was a super lower league game, like coed stuff or else I wouldn't have mentioned anything . One of those fields lined up next to each other facilities. Like I said, knew it was wrong, couldn't stop. Blame it on the typically aggressive approach I generally have when regarding bullshit thanks to the military.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's no reason to mention anything, period. It can be the EPL or a beer league, but saying anything to an official instantly makes you That Guy, and gives officials every reason they need to have you thrown out and your credentials or permissions revoked, and they'd be well within their rights to do so. You're there to document the event, nothing more.

If you want to say something, first give yourself some time to cool off, then send it up through the proper channels or talk to a league official/commissioner later.

I don't mean to sound like a disappointed parent or anything. You admit you were in the wrong and that's good. I've been there and I know that's a super hard temptation to say something when you know you've got a shot that proves a call was wrong, especially if it involves a team you're invested in.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 24, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

No, I know you and we have had this talk before. I think it's just an emotional investment in the teams I typically shoot. I used to play for them so I know the people and stuff. Yeah emotions run wild. Good points though, I'll apply it. Also you don't sound like a disappointed parent, and maybe I'm reading the first dudes tone wrong but I read it in a condescending manner and it set me off on that response. I could be wrong. It's the Internet, I've been in fights in regard to tone before and was wrong, and others have been as well.

Saying things when I shouldn't is a pattern with me. It's why I'm being medically retired from the military (well one of the reasons, official disability right now is 60% for the Army with PTSD and Bilateral compartment syndrome in my lower legs. The VA will have me 80% disabled). It's not isolated to this exclusively and I recognize I need further help than what I am getting. Avoiding the situation isn't a solution because I love to do this, and it's pretty much the only time I leave my house for reasons other than work or grocery.

Thanks

Edit: I'll be posting pictures today. Of the 2k found 60 or so manageable ones. Got to go through and find ones I want to display. I'll have a question or two about a few pictures on something I tried to fix but couldn't.

I like Lightroom 5 btw. It's nice, easy, and it was the first time using a sharpness and noise control slider so it helped make things turn out better in my opinion.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 24, 2016

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I get really defensive about things like that because it reflects poorly on all photographers and has the potential to make our jobs that much more difficult in the future. Leagues are already pushing out photographers whenever possible, I don't want anybody to have any more ammunition against us than they already do. It's nothing personal, and I really do appreciate that you're aware that's not the appropriate way to act, hopefully it will be a learning experience to improve going forward.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shameless double post to actually share some sports photos, too much text from me. The slide tied the game, then the opposing pitcher loaded the bases and walked the next batter for the most anticlimactic bottom of the 9th win, a walk-off walk :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Shameless double post to actually share some sports photos, too much text from me. The slide tied the game, then the opposing pitcher loaded the bases and walked the next batter for the most anticlimactic bottom of the 9th win, a walk-off walk :v:

yooooooooooooooo I dig this a lot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

BobTheCow posted:

I get really defensive about things like that because it reflects poorly on all photographers and has the potential to make our jobs that much more difficult in the future. Leagues are already pushing out photographers whenever possible, I don't want anybody to have any more ammunition against us than they already do. It's nothing personal, and I really do appreciate that you're aware that's not the appropriate way to act, hopefully it will be a learning experience to improve going forward.

No worries. I approach every situation as a learning experience. When you stumble, try to dance. Similar to taking the plan and spinning it sideways to accomplish what needs to be done with less.

That second one is dope. Had me double take cause it looked like the dude was punching the other in the face.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah i love that the 2nd is a huge mess of arms and you can't quite tell at first who's the head on the far right and #25

also the frozen rain and sunflower seeds

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Picture Time! Like mentioned, tried shooting from the sidelines instead of behind goal as the norm. I think they turned out pretty good.

I'm guilty of loving shots like this. Wide attacking shots on target.

Question: How do you eliminate the bleed in stuff like this?

I tried to copy what the guy here did with the softball and catching it in focus mid throw. Didnt turn out exactly the way I thought but I like it.

Whole album: http://imgur.com/a/xFVQQ/all There are some soft photos in here but they're still ok imo for the purpose of what they wanted.

Lessons learned: Tighten up my aperture. Even 5.6 was too shallow of a DoF some times. Might have to bump it up to F8 or something to help.
Don't yell at the ref

Questions:
Sharpness and noise reduction, what is effective or good to have as a baseline?
new areas to shoot from?
I am still gettin motion blur, just a little, even at 1/640. Going to 1k would help right? I am 99% sure it will but want to make sure its that and not a image stabilization problem.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Questions:
Sharpness and noise reduction, what is effective or good to have as a baseline?
new areas to shoot from?
I am still gettin motion blur, just a little, even at 1/640. Going to 1k would help right? I am 99% sure it will but want to make sure its that and not a image stabilization problem.

Noise Ninja is pretty great, and even the really basic stuff you can get in GIMP will at least help, but noise isn't really your issue here so long as you're outdoors in daylight hours.

1/1000 should pretty well cover any human motion, yes. 1/400 is basically a bare minimum, but it depends on the sport and what's happening.

Your shot of the goalie going up to grab the ball is good but I'm seeing a ton of fringing. What equipment are you using?

Also if you're using a more closed aperture, then I'd really pay attention to your angles and what's in the background. Since you're at what looks like some area rec fields, you're going to have a lot of distracting objects in the background at times (houses, fencing, parked cars, etc).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Noise Ninja is pretty great, and even the really basic stuff you can get in GIMP will at least help, but noise isn't really your issue here so long as you're outdoors in daylight hours.

1/1000 should pretty well cover any human motion, yes. 1/400 is basically a bare minimum, but it depends on the sport and what's happening.

Your shot of the goalie going up to grab the ball is good but I'm seeing a ton of fringing. What equipment are you using?

Also if you're using a more closed aperture, then I'd really pay attention to your angles and what's in the background. Since you're at what looks like some area rec fields, you're going to have a lot of distracting objects in the background at times (houses, fencing, parked cars, etc).

Canon 70D with a Tamron 70-300.

What is fringing?

Yeah, the places they play are schools and closed off areas sometimes, other times it's multiple fields, they just got the one at the end. My main goal is to not get as many soft photos.

I'm checking out Noise Ninja right now. It looks good. I have the full CS6 suite and LR5 already though so I'm not too sure if I'll need it. I'll definitely give it a go though.

Thanks.

edit: OH! For the highlight bleed! Thanks yeah I'm gonna play around with it.

double edit: LR5 vs Photo ninja. Is there a preference between the two?

Soulex fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 24, 2016

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DJExile posted:

So were you climbing with him or on top of the rock/mountain/cliff shooting back down? Because in either case, holy hell

E: Yo Bang3r that's some good poo poo too :cheers:

Yep was up there with him, about 20 meters up! Always makes things a little more challenging to get the framing you want...

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.

BobTheCow posted:

Were you in the same location for both of these shots? The slide looks you're along the first base line, but based on the bokeh, it looks like those celebration shots are pretty close to you.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

40ozOE posted:

Were you in the same location for both of these shots? The slide looks you're along the first base line, but based on the bokeh, it looks like those celebration shots are pretty close to you.

Yeah, same spot along on the first base camera well for both photos. The team in the third base dugout ran down the first base line to celebrate with the guy who walked when he reached first base, so they were right in front of me for the jube, 300mm for both photos.

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.

BobTheCow posted:

Yeah, same spot along on the first base camera well for both photos. The team in the third base dugout ran down the first base line to celebrate with the guy who walked when he reached first base, so they were right in front of me for the jube, 300mm for both photos.

Ah, got lucky there, that they ran all the way across the field to the opponent's dugout to celebrate. Nice.

Yeah, after shooting high school and college baseball regularly for a few months, I realized you get a little burnt out on the same angles, same views, same action all the time. So that celebration is a great shot, just because you don't often get the opportunity to see that from the camera well position. Good job.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Question about shooting outdoor sports on a public mountain. Do the same laws apply to shooting random people mountain biking on a resort mountain as apply to just general street photography (IE: it's a public place, some people might get annoyed but most won't care)? I'm heading up to Whistler for some riding and I'm going to bring my camera gear as well to give my body a breather from 24/7 downhill.

I also want to go to some of the local races and shoot the competitors. Do I need permission for this? I'd almost rather not ask for it and just go do it since it'd be easy for them to say no.

Figured this thread would be the place to ask!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
IANAL but if it's a public area then there's no difference between a mountain trail and a main street as far as privacy laws go. If the mountain trail is on private property then the owners might have specific rules about photography.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Had a massive show on the weekend (took almost 2000 photos, 480 or so from the main event itself)

quick sneak of the new champ.

Davis Storm - EPW Champion by bang3rachi, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bang3r posted:

Had a massive show on the weekend (took almost 2000 photos, 480 or so from the main event itself)

quick sneak of the new champ.

Davis Storm - EPW Champion by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Dig it.

I shot a 3-gun competition for some friends over the weekend. I'll get some up when I can.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shot another game this weekend. I kept my mouth shut. Even when the ref erroneously gave a red card to a player because he couldn't tell which black player he was supposed to card, which was funny when it was over.

I too will get more up soon

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I rode bikes and shot jocks this weekend instead of shooting guns and getting shot by Dj Exile.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Question about shooting outdoor sports on a public mountain. Do the same laws apply to shooting random people mountain biking on a resort mountain as apply to just general street photography (IE: it's a public place, some people might get annoyed but most won't care)? I'm heading up to Whistler for some riding and I'm going to bring my camera gear as well to give my body a breather from 24/7 downhill.

I also want to go to some of the local races and shoot the competitors. Do I need permission for this? I'd almost rather not ask for it and just go do it since it'd be easy for them to say no.

Figured this thread would be the place to ask!

I'm no lawyer but I've taken a bunch of pictures from various events (and just random poo poo) at Whistler with my white L lens and never had a problem from anyone.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HookShot posted:

I'm no lawyer but I've taken a bunch of pictures from various events (and just random poo poo) at Whistler with my white L lens and never had a problem from anyone.

Specifically I want to hike up a bit to the garibaldi drop. Think they'd mind?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Specifically I want to hike up a bit to the garibaldi drop. Think they'd mind?

I highly doubt it, as long as you stay off the actual trails (obviously) and out of the way of anyone official. I've hiked up that far at ski events in the past and never had a problem, never done it in mountain bike season but I mean really it's the same sort of thing.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Foul line seats to a dull game, but I brought the longest lens I had and had fun trying to time things.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Soopafly posted:

Foul line seats to a dull game, but I brought the longest lens I had and had fun trying to time things.

Love this

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
This was very long show hence a very large photo set, I'm still so spoilt shooting for this fed in terms of talent and setup.

Full Gallery here

EPW Evolution 2016 by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Must be hell shooting in such low light.

My contributions:

Stayed behind goal for the majority of the match, off to the side where the corner flag was. End score was 4-0. These guys are pretty good when they turn it on, and that guy with the life guard shirt can hit it from long range like a bastard. He missed just wide three times. I also managed to get rid of the bleeding for the most part. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I'm guessing my lens is just lovely because it's cheap and that's why it does that. I don't recall spending more than 100 for it. I'd love to get a better one but the obvious options like a 70-200 doesnt reach as far as I need to.

Whole album: http://imgur.com/a/D11e6

What I learned: Hard to crop some photos sometimes, as none ever really feel right. I don't know whether to abandon the photo or just keep trying. Remembered my monopod this time and it really helped with my legs. I'm also getting some really good practice bringing out the detail in darker complected people. I knew how to do it in video, but not photo until recently.

Questions: This is kind of different, but they want me to film a game with the DSLR I have, which is more than capable. However, the only thing I know that I'll really 100% need is like a ladder or something so I can get higher. I also have a gopro that I can set up somewhere. Any other tips if any?

Also any real difference between using websites like imgur or flicker?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Spent the weekend at the X Games (it's their last year in Austin. Dunno where they're going next but if they're near you loving go) and after two days of really lovely rain there was finally a nice day for me to bring my camera. Also my first time shooting sports, so it was a fun learning experience!

Best Trick by Connor West, on Flickr

Big Air Ramp by Connor West, on Flickr

What I learned: I overestimated how bright the images were going to be with my settings and dumped some ISO, so all of the images came out a touch underexposed. So I guess I learned not to do that :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

I think the exposure on these is fine but it's something you could fix easily enough, I love this but I wish the lights weren't in frame! have you tried removing them?