Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think I've ever used dictation. I do miss the dark theme though of the stock keyboard

I made sure to submit feedback asking for a dark theme. It's my only complaint about Gboard, and I'm sure it will come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So is Google's keyboard only available on the US store or what? With all the hype for it in here I wanna try it out.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The announcement on the office google blog only mentions the US so I'm guesing yeah.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Vince MechMahon posted:

With Sunrise shutting down, what's a good calendar app to replace it?

CCal is the only calendar I've found with a good month view.

Edit: found my old post about it.

~Coxy posted:

I use Calystwo CCal because as far as I can tell it's the only calendar that has:
-sync with google calendar directly and handle multiple shared calendars
-customise the start day of the week
-colour-code weekends
-colour-code Today
-print the title of events in Month view
-multi-day events render across days nicely

If it would only cross off days in the past it would be perfect.
Since pretty much no other calendar has a usable Month view I must be in the incredible minority but I mention it in case anyone else has been dying for it.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 16, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Housh posted:

What are you guys using for vpn on iPad?

openvpn and rolled my own vpn server on a raspi

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is there a reason for the podcasts app bloating?

I have 600 M of podcast files stored right now, but the Documents and Data takes up a whopping 2 GB.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Go to the iTunes Store and find something massive to rent like the HD version of the return of the King extended. Hit rent but don't go as far as to pay. On smaller capacity devices this'll clear out a load of junk.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Go to the iTunes Store and find something massive to rent like the HD version of the return of the King extended. Hit rent but don't go as far as to pay. On smaller capacity devices this'll clear out a load of junk.

Yeah good job, Apple. :thumbsup:

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

axolotl farmer posted:

Yeah good job, Apple. :thumbsup:

It doesn't delete temporary files (like deleted podcasts) until it thinks you need the space.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

It does if you fill the space with your own photos. I got warnings about being low on space.

Hope you're not seriously defending a podcast app needing 2GB of metadata for 600 MB of sound files.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Use a better podcast app. Overcast is free.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I would use Overcast if I could change that lovely font

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Weedle posted:

I would use Overcast if I could change that lovely font

You can for $10/yr

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

Use a better podcast app. Overcast is free.

Overcast can't play from files.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Overcast can't play from files.

You can for $10/yr

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the simplest time-tracking iPhone application? I don't need anything advanced but something where if I hit a button a timer starts. If I hit the same button again, it'll save the previous time and start another. In theory, I'd end up some data like "1:36,3:47,2:45" at the end of the day.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

You can for $10/yr

Or with justcast and Dropbox.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tab8715 posted:

What's the simplest time-tracking iPhone application? I don't need anything advanced but something where if I hit a button a timer starts. If I hit the same button again, it'll save the previous time and start another. In theory, I'd end up some data like "1:36,3:47,2:45" at the end of the day.
It's not very robust, but the simplest is the built in stopwatch using the "lap" button.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

maduin posted:

You can for $10/yr

Any more information on this? Nothing on the website about it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Any more information on this? Nothing on the website about it.

https://marco.org/2016/03/14/overcast25

Patronage ($1 a month in three, six, or 12-month increments) gets you a dark theme and the ability to upload your own files through the web interface and stream them from the app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Weedle posted:

Patronage ($1 a month in three, six, or 12-month increments) gets you a dark theme and the ability to upload your own files through the web interface and stream them from the app.

The dark theme also uses San Francisco as the font if you're not a fan of the apps default one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's not very robust, but the simplest is the built in stopwatch using the "lap" button.

I had no idea that even existed and does basically half-rear end much as I need it to do - thanks :)

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

axolotl farmer posted:

It does if you fill the space with your own photos. I got warnings about being low on space.

Hope you're not seriously defending a podcast app needing 2GB of metadata for 600 MB of sound files.

He's talking about trying to download a large movie to clean out space. It will only clean out the space if you don't have the space for the movie. It has nothing to do with the podcast app.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

Thanks for the info.

While useful, the way it's currently implemented (uploading individual files) would suck for anything with a large backlog or archive.
Plus I wonder what happens if you try to upload 60GB of MP3s to marco's server.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Thanks for the info.

While useful, the way it's currently implemented (uploading individual files) would suck for anything with a large backlog or archive.
Plus I wonder what happens if you try to upload 60GB of MP3s to marco's server.

According to this MacWorld article, there's a 2 GB limit.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I will throw my dissenting opinion in the ring by stating the pocket cast is the superior podcasting app. fight me irl.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Overcast is orange.

Pocket Casts is not orange.

The choice is clear.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Overcast is orange.

The choice is clear.

dashlane

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
These ios threads are always such a joy to just pop into at random. 10$ a year to get your own poo poo in an audio player lmaooooooooooooo

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Then don't use it? Plenty of other podcast apps. Marco just happens to charge for that feature and makes the app itself free.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Marco is a dumbass anyway.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
You could also use Huffduffer. Not necessarily for 60gb of audio

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Nobody makes an app that caters to some dumb podcast hoarder's special needs.

Content: does anyone else have issues with the Facebook app stalling out intermittently when following a link? I thought it might be a content blocker, but disabling that makes no difference.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Overcast is orange.

The choice is clear.

I think I've seen this exact post 4-5 times since I started reading this thread and it is always funny and I always have a tinge of doubt about which is the obvious answer the poster means.

Overcast is very good though, just fyi for folks in the market.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

beefnoodle posted:

Nobody makes an app that caters to some dumb podcast hoarder's special needs.

Content: does anyone else have issues with the Facebook app stalling out intermittently when following a link? I thought it might be a content blocker, but disabling that makes no difference.

Well, you could just use iTunes and podcasts.app. Hahahaha

But yeah, when I wanted to get caught up on WHM, I downloaded like 150 of their episodes and used podcasts to listen to them ten at a time. Sometimes it got confused and really sucked but it was fine and free.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What podcast app is best for listening to 2-hour EDM mixtapes?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

What podcast app is best for listening to 2-hour EDM mixtapes?

Dashlane, duh.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Probably Soundcloud seeing as it has an orange icon and you can listen to this one DJ WILLIE mix twice. https://soundcloud.com/djwillie/dj-willie-worldwide-ultra-edm

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

tuyop posted:

Well, you could just use iTunes and podcasts.app. Hahahaha
I use that all the time. What's bad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just wish he'd enable the smart speed thing on their web app so I don't have to plug my headphones into my phone at work.