Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hooah posted:

Does Zombies, Run! only do zombies, or are there other options?

There's an IAP option to change it to 'Scurvy, eat!' where it reminds you to consume vitamin C daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ModeSix posted:

One would assume from the name that it only does zombies. It's not called Cats, Run! is it?

Eh, it's been around long enough I figured perhaps they'd branched out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
'Diabetes, Run!' a game that detects whenever you're near confections and immediately orders you to sprint away.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Does Zombies, run work well on a treadmill? And do you have to listen to music with it? I tend to run indoors on my treadmill and watch tv shows while I do it. I don't usually have my phone on me but I can get one of those arm band things or something.

Also does it work if you are just walking and cant start running if it says too? I play disc golf almost every day and walk about a mile doing so. Not a big deal but if it tracked those steps too it would be cool.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Trastion posted:

Does Zombies, run work well on a treadmill? And do you have to listen to music with it? I tend to run indoors on my treadmill and watch tv shows while I do it. I don't usually have my phone on me but I can get one of those arm band things or something.

Also does it work if you are just walking and cant start running if it says too? I play disc golf almost every day and walk about a mile doing so. Not a big deal but if it tracked those steps too it would be cool.

There's times occasionally where it says "they're right behind you run faster!" and you lose items by not going fast enough, but I'm pretty sure you can shut those off. It'll work fine on a treadmill, but mine didn't read my speed as well as when I was outside using the GPS. You don't have to have music.

I haven't used the app in a couple years though so it's possible all of this is different now.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I quickly look at the tracking options, and there's a Step Counter options that's "Great for treadmills".

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm not currently using it but iirc it has smartwatch/fitbit integration for step counters and heart rate monitoring?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On a related topic, is there anything like "Zombies, Run" for cycling? I ride with a club on the weekends and I'd like to get into riding midweek except I get bored cycling by myself.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tunga posted:

On a related topic, is there anything like "Zombies, Run" for cycling? I ride with a club on the weekends and I'd like to get into riding midweek except I get bored cycling by myself.

I've been told that it works okay with cycling.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Strava. It's not a game, but it's the only biking app in town.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Strava. It's not a game, but it's the only biking app in town.
Which reminds me that I need to get Strava segments working on my Garmin. Maybe that'd be enough gamification to get me motivated, yeah. I guess using headphones on a bike is pretty stupid idea anyway.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mrkillboy posted:

Vector 2, the sequel to super stylish parkour game Vector is out.

I enjoyed Vector well enough, but this version won't get past the company logo/splash screen. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
106W on Tiny Towers

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

hooah posted:

I enjoyed Vector well enough, but this version won't get past the company logo/splash screen. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Wait it out. It did the same to me.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I went through and added everyone, if anyone has more time than me could we start a spreadsheet? I'll do it this weekend if noone has yet

121R is my code :)

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The international version of Phantom of the Kill, a JRPG/tactics game that's apparently quite popular in Japan, is out now. Quite a few sites seem keen to refer to it as being like Fire Emblem.

Also out is Hearts of Iron: War Stories, a CYOA spin-off of Paradox's Hearts of Iron grand strategy franchise.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone still playing Hunt Cook? Any reason to add goons to your friends list or do you have to be on to get free mats from others?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Anyone still playing Hunt Cook? Any reason to add goons to your friends list or do you have to be on to get free mats from others?

I am playing but have no friends. The friends thing is weird as you have to both enter the code within 5 minutes of each other or something like that.

Edit- if you are able to add me in the next 5 minutes use code 462949.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 18, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Assassin's Creed Identity is out for anyone keen on playing a watered-down, bite-sized action RPG take on Assassin's Creed II on their phone.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 18, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Trastion posted:

I am playing but have no friends. The friends thing is weird as you have to both enter the code within 5 minutes of each other or something like that.

Edit- if you are able to add me in the next 5 minutes use code 462949.

Curses, too late. Mine is (edit:)459706.

Presumably it's to stop this sort of thing, and to force people into using friend codes from friends, and not online.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 18, 2016

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Morpheus posted:

Curses, too late. Mine is (edit:)459706.

Presumably it's to stop this sort of thing, and to force people into using friend codes from friends, and not online.

Is there an IRC channel we could meet up in to exchange codes in real time?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I am at work so I dont go into irc that often. I am about to uninstall this game anyways as I am over my limit in my pantry by about 6 things and it wont let me do anything. I don't have gems to upgrade and I dont really want to destroy a bunch of ingredients I need.

I already upgraded it once.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Trastion posted:

I am at work so I dont go into irc that often. I am about to uninstall this game anyways as I am over my limit in my pantry by about 6 things and it wont let me do anything. I don't have gems to upgrade and I dont really want to destroy a bunch of ingredients I need.

I already upgraded it once.

I'm on upgrade three and need four. If you're fairly dilligent about hitting the mole when it comes up, tweeting when you hunt something new (I use a disposable twitter account for my games), and getting the free gems for ads in the Gem Store you get a pretty good amount of gems.

Go ahead and sell stuff though, you still get XP for selling ingredients. Either that or process your excess ingredients into stuff you can use. I like to have a shitload of miso, tofu, and vinegar on-hand because it cuts down on soybeans and rice, and I never have storage problems for milk because of how much butter you need.

I'd be up for an irc code swap, but I'm around pretty erratically.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

Also out is Hearts of Iron: War Stories, a CYOA spin-off of Paradox's Hearts of Iron grand strategy franchise.

I really enjoyed this. If anyone else is interested, there are 22 chapters, but only the first 5 are free. It's 4.99 usd to unlock the rest.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Hey, sorry if this is a bunch of stupid questions but I'm new to the whole brave new world of android tablets.

Have I missed any turn based tactical games so far? I know of the Shadowruns, FFTactics, XCOM (which apparently isn't "available" for the nvidia shield, and all the solutions I can find involve a bunch of rooting and sideloading shennanigans :/), and Banner Saga. They are really my favourite genre and it's a shame there aren't more available for android. Same question goes for turn based RPG's that are not Final Fantasy.

Any Might and Magic-style dungeon crawlers available? Are Broglia's emulators still the recommended ones? Seems like it's what I'll mostly be doing for the time being.

Any way to get Windows games working on an Android tablet, besids streaming from a desktop? Googling just led me to a bunch of shady results, which I guess means no. I would've guessed there'd be some way to emulate the windows mobile OS's by now, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

mrkillboy posted:

The international version of Phantom of the Kill, a JRPG/tactics game that's apparently quite popular in Japan, is out now. Quite a few sites seem keen to refer to it as being like Fire Emblem.

This is a pretty fun Fire Emblem-like game. Starting off pretty easy so far, but still enjoying it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any opinions on Exploding Kittens? I had it on my wishlist, and have enough survey money for it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.explodingkittens.projectbombsquad

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any opinions on Exploding Kittens? I had it on my wishlist, and have enough survey money for it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.explodingkittens.projectbombsquad

The card game is cute, but it's not deep whatsoever.. Good for people into the idea of board game night who aren't focused enough to go through the 3 hour PowerPoint presentation required to learn a lot of modern board games. That said, it isn't nearly entertaining enough that I'd want it on my phone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

The card game is cute, but it's not deep whatsoever.. Good for people into the idea of board game night who aren't focused enough to go through the 3 hour PowerPoint presentation required to learn a lot of modern board games. That said, it isn't nearly entertaining enough that I'd want it on my phone.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Any good single player games (multiplayer optional) available for less than $4 CAD?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

mrkillboy posted:

Whoever wrote this thinks the throttle on an airplane works like a gas pedal in a car, and the rudder is on a stick so if you're a plane nerd you might want to skip it.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

I've been playing a lot of Drancia lately.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.uraraworks.drancia&hl=en

It's a relatively simple game where your only controls are LEFT, RIGHT, and JUMP. The style is something like an arcade platformer/bullet-hell game, and you kill enemies by having them come into contact with your weapon. You are always moving. There's a currency that stays with you on death which allows you to buy single-use buffs/consumables, but they are secondary to your own ability to navigate around enemies.

A single playthrough takes about 10 minutes and then it starts a newgame+ mode where bosses are harder and there's additional obstacles. The cool thing is there are several characters to choose from that have different stats and different skilltrees. There's enough variety to where different characters will have to deal with certain mobs/bosses differently. Beating the final boss with every character is a decent challenge.

Pretty low battery use, doesn't require internet connection, and only rare ads when navigating the start menu.

Overall it's probably the best game I've come across this year, and I've put at least 5 hours into it. I highly recommend it for action game completionists.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LegalPad posted:

I've been playing a lot of Drancia lately.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.uraraworks.drancia&hl=en

It's a relatively simple game where your only controls are LEFT, RIGHT, and JUMP. The style is something like an arcade platformer/bullet-hell game, and you kill enemies by having them come into contact with your weapon. You are always moving. There's a currency that stays with you on death which allows you to buy single-use buffs/consumables, but they are secondary to your own ability to navigate around enemies.

A single playthrough takes about 10 minutes and then it starts a newgame+ mode where bosses are harder and there's additional obstacles. The cool thing is there are several characters to choose from that have different stats and different skilltrees. There's enough variety to where different characters will have to deal with certain mobs/bosses differently. Beating the final boss with every character is a decent challenge.

Pretty low battery use, doesn't require internet connection, and only rare ads when navigating the start menu.

Overall it's probably the best game I've come across this year, and I've put at least 5 hours into it. I highly recommend it for action game completionists.

There's a really similar game called "Slayin"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=om.FDGEntertainment.Slayin.gp

It's just as fun.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Slayin' credited Skipmore for the original idea, actually! Skipmore does a bunch of great games, including Fairune on Android which I've gushed about before (it's on the 3DS too, and now the Vita I think! There's a sequel coming as well!) Skipmore made flash games too and stuff for older phones. Fairune was originally a flash game by the same name (http://www.skipmore.com/freegames/fairune/fairune.html) which is a lot simpler.

There's also Synopsis Quest (http://www.skipmore.com/freegames/synopsis/synopsis.html)(English version) which is really funny and has a super secret ending. Mamono Slayer is cool, but short (http://www.skipmore.com/freegames/mamono/mamono.html)(English option on the title screen) And also I like Famical Quest (http://www.skipmore.com/freegames/famical_quest/famical_quest.html)(No English) which has kind of a poo battle system, but it's a much earlier game.

Skipmore's twitter is a good follow who links to other good games a lot too.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Awesome. I don't know what's a clone of what, but I'm sure I will like them all if they are similar.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem with slayin' is that the second unlockable character is just awful. otherwise it is a perfectly decent little time waster.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I started playing Seven Knights because I am weak. For as much as it begs you to buy things, the gameplay seems strangely unreliant on IAPing your way to victory. Is there any remaining goon presence on the Global server?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I just got like 11 surveys back to back, a lot of which were repeats, over the course of like 5 minutes. I'm not complaining, but I can't imagine that giving me 5 survey bucks that fast for repeat questions is working as intended.

Markovnikov posted:

Hey, sorry if this is a bunch of stupid questions but I'm new to the whole brave new world of android tablets.

Have I missed any turn based tactical games so far? I know of the Shadowruns, FFTactics, XCOM (which apparently isn't "available" for the nvidia shield, and all the solutions I can find involve a bunch of rooting and sideloading shennanigans :/), and Banner Saga. They are really my favourite genre and it's a shame there aren't more available for android. Same question goes for turn based RPG's that are not Final Fantasy.

Any Might and Magic-style dungeon crawlers available? Are Broglia's emulators still the recommended ones? Seems like it's what I'll mostly be doing for the time being.

Any way to get Windows games working on an Android tablet, besids streaming from a desktop? Googling just led me to a bunch of shady results, which I guess means no. I would've guessed there'd be some way to emulate the windows mobile OS's by now, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Try 7 Mages, it's a turn-based rpg with a party system that's apparently a lot like wizardry/other old school dungeon crawlers. I haven't played it myself, but it's really well reviewed and sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Also, maybe you'd enjoy Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale EE, they translate well to a decent sized tablet.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I got 7 surveys this morning. I'm not complaining but that was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I got 7 surveys this morning. I'm not complaining but that was weird.

I've had like ten today so far, it's nuts.