Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BigRed0427 posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais just posted his review of the new Doom game and holy poo poo. I need this game now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m424XwGH1Uc

It's kind of odd. I really like a lot of what he says but there are defintely parts I can't see. He complains about the story kinda and that you can't interact with panels like in Doom 3. Part of what makes D04M so good is that you're loving Doom Marine and you don't have time for that poo poo. I like that codex entries are relegated to text stuff and whatnot. The ending is a bit weak but otherwise the game is loving amazing from start to finish. I didn't play the beta but have been doing some MP on the full release and it's actually really good? They must have tweaked or improved it since then because it feels fast and fun. I wish there was a "classic" mode where you had to find weapons on the maps and stuff but that could easily be patched in.

Also I love the guy but man. It always comes up but he needs to up his production values as well. It feels sloppy to hear mouse clicks and stuff during the video and there's a lot of awkward pauses.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah. Mouse clicks liek that should be very easy to edit out, shouldn't they?

Speaking of which, New Every Frame a Painting: How Does an Editor Think and Feel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3eITC01Fg

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tracula posted:

Also I love the guy but man. It always comes up but he needs to up his production values as well. It feels sloppy to hear mouse clicks and stuff during the video and there's a lot of awkward pauses.

That and when he stumbles on a line, he needs to go back and re-record it. Excellent content as always, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

He doesn't. His judgement tells him its trash based on his subjective preferences and he believes he'd hate it, so he's skipping it. A lot of people do this. Also he doesn't say he's 'too good' to see it, he outright admits he's heavily biased against it.

It's like all the Robocop nerds skipping the Robocop remake because 'not muh robocop'. Except James articulates his opinion better than that.

I don't think anyone thinks he literally has to watch every movie or something, but it's pretty lovely for a dude who bills himself as a movie critic to feed into bullshit by saying "NOPE BAD TRAILER NOT GONNA SEE IT" as if he's never seen a movie that didn't look great before. Like, maybe just don't see the movie and don't make a big deal about it?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think anyone thinks he literally has to watch every movie or something, but it's pretty lovely for a dude who bills himself as a movie critic to feed into bullshit by saying "NOPE BAD TRAILER NOT GONNA SEE IT" as if he's never seen a movie that didn't look great before. Like, maybe just don't see the movie and don't make a big deal about it?

You don't get hits/ad revenue by doing nothing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's bad. Rolfe is better than that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

That's bad. Rolfe is better than that.

I don't think it was the primary reason (I'd chalk that up to wanting to answer the why-aren't-you-watching-this questions in advance, mixed with an attempt to get people to not see it on some laughable principle), but I'm sure he realized that this would attract the attention of eyeballs that otherwise wouldn't be looking his way.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
James is a good and rational person. If enough people say to him "Hey this is a good movie" I think he'll see it. Like. Are people actually thinking James Rolfe is a misogynist or latent sexist or whatever for not wanting to see the new Ghost Busters? Really?

Unlike Spoony always being a stubborn contrarian rear end in a top hat. I mean christ. He saw the remake/sequel/prequel to The Thing. God for fuckingbid he see Fury Road (it would mean doing a vlog) or he apparently saw Civil War (which he said he'd do a vlog for but never did)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Absolutely. I thought this was fine and a whole lot better than his high school killer review he did in two parts last year (which was tedious, forced and angry).

I liked that review...although I didn't think it needed to be a two-parter. But I also realized about halfway through that "Central High" is basically the school from the Bully game from Rockstar.

And as far as James' refusal to see the "new" Ghostbusters film...I'm in a similar boat. I'd rather have a "passing of the torch" than this reboot nonsense. Add to it the fact that I don't find Wiig that funny and I can't loving stand Melissa McCarthy, plus the CGI vomit all over the trailer...yeah, pass for me too.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
And Rolfe could do a review or non-review. He's gonna get views and clicks or whatever.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
This is the stupidest non-controversy ever. He said he wasn't seeing a movie. Who loving cares? Why is everyone in this thread in pursuit of a scandal?
Also, that movie looks like loving trash.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Beefstew posted:

Also, that movie looks like loving trash.

Are you sure you're not sexist? Are you positive?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

James is a good and rational person. If enough people say to him "Hey this is a good movie" I think he'll see it. Like. Are people actually thinking James Rolfe is a misogynist or latent sexist or whatever for not wanting to see the new Ghost Busters? Really?

I dunno, ARE people? I'm pretty sure I'm the only one saying this is dumb in this thread so far and I said it was dumb because it was such a pointless, drama fueling, way to just say 'I don't want to see a movie' as if he somehow was contractually required to or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I get this thread is terrified of ~internet drama~ and all but you're really milking that stone to get much from 'a dude who's normally a decent critic made a video saying he won't see a movie, someone on stupid forum for morons Something Awful said that was kinda a dumb thing to do'. But yea totally everyone's calling him sexist and basically a nazi I guess.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Tracula posted:

Are you sure you're not sexist? Are you positive?

Hbomb, please make your next video about me.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
the movie can be good, but it does look like crap from what i seen and i will not see it unless it getting rave reviews.

i love the first movie, i use to love the 2nd but over time i grown to hate it, so like robocop i don't hold anything made after the first movie scared.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Tracula posted:

Unlike Spoony always being a stubborn contrarian rear end in a top hat. I mean christ. He saw the remake/sequel/prequel to The Thing. God for fuckingbid he see Fury Road (it would mean doing a vlog) or he apparently saw Civil War (which he said he'd do a vlog for but never did)

I think the fact he had AlphaOmegaSin on a couple episodes didn't help matters. His points weren't necessarily invalid (the whole "it has the same name" bit probably could have been articulated better). But he's still making a weirdly definitive statement about a super politically charged issue. After making two videos with the living embodiment of GamerGate.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I think the fact he had AlphaOmegaSin on a couple episodes didn't help matters. His points weren't necessarily invalid (the whole "it has the same name" bit probably could have been articulated better). But he's still making a weirdly definitive statement about a super politically charged issue. After making two videos with the living embodiment of GamerGate.

He barely mentions that it's an all female cast. He does literally nothing to imply misogyny. If thinking the new Ghostbusters is bad turns into a "politically charged issue", than I suspect you'll likely be classifying the majority of the movie-watching public as gators very soon.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

oh hey it's jim talking about indie bias in reviewers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF4g0gkMOg

In it he talks about why people tend to cherry pick the games they like because of how many games get released and other things. Also considering the fact that he now was able to mention the company who was trying to sue him, I feel like his lawsuit is in a really good position. I just hope that the ramifications of this case would also make him untouchable by the corporations at YouTube, or else they would be breaching judicial precedent.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah. Mouse clicks liek that should be very easy to edit out, shouldn't they?

It takes 5-20 seconds. You just highlight the obvious mouse clicks on the waveform at the very beginning and end of each take and hit the delete key.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Dan name-dropped him out of the blue on an episode of Zelda a couple weeks ago. You'd almost think it was a joke, and yet sure enough...

To be honest, the episode left me with significantly more respect for Rob Schneider. I get the sense of a guy who has sort of just coasted through Hollywood, doing this and that and telling jokes and managing steady work and getting saddled with a really lovely reputation. He seems aware that he's not very well-liked. I wonder now what on earth is driving a man like that; it seems to me that he's just doing it because he enjoys it. He seems fond of his show, he's proud to have created something with nobody else's fingerprints on it. His wife is really fuckin' good at Mortal Kombat too.

Please do not respect Rob Schneider or anyone else who is an ardent anti-vaxxer, tia.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
drat you, YouTube recommendations. I watched ONE Chris Stuckman video because I wanted to see him embarrassingly apologize for his Batrman/Superman fan script disaster, stop recommending his other poo poo to me!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

bbf2 posted:

drat you, YouTube recommendations. I watched ONE Chris Stuckman video because I wanted to see him embarrassingly apologize for his Batrman/Superman fan script disaster, stop recommending his other poo poo to me!

Don't know if you use Chrome or not, but this helps me out a lot.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I dunno, ARE people? I'm pretty sure I'm the only one saying this is dumb in this thread so far and I said it was dumb because it was such a pointless, drama fueling, way to just say 'I don't want to see a movie' as if he somehow was contractually required to or something.

Starting off with "I'm not going to review the Ghostbusters movie" would have been fine if he didn't then keep going. It just seemed kind of absurd.

I don't think he's sexist, just holding an okay movie up on a pedestal and freaking out over something that won't happen (like most defensive nerds, regardless of politics). If that movie is bad, people are just going to forget it completely, like they did Total Recall and whatever the other 80s remake was.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Why even bring it up with Ghostbusters then? Like did Rolfe really need to spend 10 minutes or so making a video about not seeing New Gbusters?

I'm not much interested either but fuckin a, we get Ecto Cooler back and a bunch of fun crap to buy if we want in normal stores.

Seems win win honestly.

But I guess I just don't see how entertainment and pop culture stuff has to be a goddamnned war, religion, and personal identity all the loving time. This poo poo doesn't really MATTER, ya know? I mean having a good time is great and some works can inspire, uplift, and inform but at the end of the day it's still just what should be a fun pastime and that is that.

I had some goons tell me this is wrong but... I don't get it. To me making it overly serious and personal just ruins what entertainment is all about.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

Why even bring it up with Ghostbusters then? Like did Rolfe really need to spend 10 minutes or so making a video about not seeing New Gbusters?

I'm not much interested either but fuckin a, we get Ecto Cooler back and a bunch of fun crap to buy if we want in normal stores.

Seems win win honestly.

But I guess I just don't see how entertainment and pop culture stuff has to be a goddamnned war, religion, and personal identity all the loving time. This poo poo doesn't really MATTER, ya know? I mean having a good time is great and some works can inspire, uplift, and inform but at the end of the day it's still just what should be a fun pastime and that is that.

I had some goons tell me this is wrong but... I don't get it. To me making it overly serious and personal just ruins what entertainment is all about.

Well you see, everything is political and

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This Rolfe thing makes me miss times when nerds only were angry about the mere existence of remakes and adaptations and not cultural marxist conspiracies or feminist indoctrination.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Captain Rufus posted:

Why even bring it up with Ghostbusters then? To me making it overly serious and personal just ruins what entertainment is all about.
He said in the video that people are going to keep requesting him to see and review it and he didn't want to be rude and ignore them all so he just explained why he's not going to see it. He's not starting a hashtag about it or anything.

I've noticed more than one critic get annoyed with hordes of people asking them the same innocent question over and over again. Spoony and Phelous come to mind immediately. They make tweets about how certain questions (Have you seen X, Have you heard about Y, What are your thoughts on Z) get brought up again and again and it gets old really fast. Since Ghostbusters is publicly one of James's favorite films he wanted to skip that part. On average you or I would love for someone to ask us what our opinion on everything is but to get asked that question every day forever must be kind of grating.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I can understand people (fans esp.) getting angry that remakes and reboots are stifling creativity and the emergence of new IPs (and that's my objection, insofar as I have even a vague opinion). But most of the anger is of the identity politics type: my identity is based around some films/comics/music/TV shows I encountered in my childhood/youth and I have been enabled in these childish attachments by these industries/sub-cultures. This new [insert whatever] alters/defaces/desecrates what I liked therefore someone is undermining my identity. The stronger I fight against it (and its supporters/fans) the more I assert my identity. It is also tribal in character.

It only seems like a big deal if you spend a lot of time on the internet and a large part of your social interaction is there. Walk down the street and try to start a conversation about the Ghostbusters remake and over 99% of people won't care. Most of them won't even know the film exists.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kaleidolia posted:

Starting off with "I'm not going to review the Ghostbusters movie" would have been fine if he didn't then keep going. It just seemed kind of absurd.

I don't think he's sexist, just holding an okay movie up on a pedestal and freaking out over something that won't happen (like most defensive nerds, regardless of politics). If that movie is bad, people are just going to forget it completely, like they did Total Recall and whatever the other 80s remake was.

I watched the video a few hours ago. His main gripe (or at least the thing I thought he focused on the most) really seems to be that as a reboot, it seems to disregard the older films. He points out that the old cast is going to show up in cameos, rather than having full-on roles, and that he'd prefer it to be like the new Star Trek/Star Wars films, where there was a passing-of-the-torch to a new generation.

Who knows; maybe he'll acknowledge the backlash, and go and see the film.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Tracula posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what the issue here is as well. There is a strong chance of this movie being bad and he won't be watching it based off of that horrendous trailer. Why is that a big deal exactly?

I don't watch most remakes either because I make that assumption and if I'm wrong(95% of the time remakes I might be interested in have always come out awful so small chance of that, especially so with the new Ghostbusters if that trailers anything to go off) maybe I'll watch it and I imagine James does the same. This is something the normal movie going audience does.

It's actually a bit shocking coming into this thread and seeing people insulting him for not wanting to see it. I think he even stated the only reason he was even talking about it is because people kept asking if he'd review it.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhh. Thinking the new Ghostbusters film is probably gonna be bad is politically charged now?

Asuron fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 18, 2016

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Him not being interested in Ghostbusters remake is not an earth shattering opinion, nor do I think it is anything close to a "problematic" opinion.

I question why he needed to make a video on it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

Him not being interested in Ghostbusters remake is not an earth shattering opinion, nor do I think it is anything close to a "problematic" opinion.

I question why he needed to make a video on it.

He's a big and well known Ghostbusters fan. There is no question in my mind that he got asked alot on whether he'd see the new one and review it and deciding he wanted to put a stop to that question being asked, made a video explaining why he wouldn't.

Easy to reason that stuff out if you watch his stuff even a little and you'd have to be really cynical about his personality (which makes no sense because there is nothing but good stories about James as a person)to think anything but that.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Tracula posted:

Having AlphaOmegaSin on is a pretty big warning sign.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It seems like the "I don't want to see this movie" thing James said is getting lumped it with the more virulent "robocops ruined my childhood" response from the "full gamer" circles. I didn't really get that was his reason from the video, but the large, really negative response that came before set the tone/framework, mostly good/bad.

It's honestly not going to affect me whether or nor he sees the film, and I haven't made any plans to go see it myself. Lack of attachment to the franchise I think. But drat, the firestorm surrounding it is hard to look away from.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't care about being "politically correct" the new Dogfucker movie looks like poo poo, and CGI and unsexy dogs are ruining cinema

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Beefstew posted:

He barely mentions that it's an all female cast. He does literally nothing to imply misogyny. If thinking the new Ghostbusters is bad turns into a "politically charged issue", than I suspect you'll likely be classifying the majority of the movie-watching public as gators very soon.

I'm not saying the movie will be good or bad. I'm not even saying James is a misogynist or not. I'm just saying he didn't do himself any PR favors.

People are mad about Ghostbusters. The genders of the cast has been an issue. And he made a ten minute long "refuse to review" video after hanging out with a guy who makes a living yelling about Anita Sarkeesian.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I'm just saying he didn't do himself any PR favors.

Identity politics, GG and internet geekdom is such that he would get attacks whatever he did - even "ignoring" the film by not mentioning it on camera. If he gets a lot of requests from his fans to comment on something, making a video explaining that he won't review/comment on a film is a polite and logical thing to do. Idiots will be idiots.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

People are mad about Ghostbusters. The genders of the cast has been an issue.
He made a good point about it. Since the new film isn't distinguishing itself by name like Ghostbusters 3, or Ghostbusters: Revengeance, the first way people are going to distinguish it is by year (which is tedious) or by the only selling point so far The Female Ghostbuster Movie, which is not a great way of marketing it since that should be incidental. That's the only time he brought up the all female cast in the video.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

after hanging out with a guy who makes a living yelling about Anita Sarkeesian.
He's a fan of a movie who isn't going to see the remake. He's not skipping it because Sargon of Akkad whispers lies to him in his sleep he's skipping it because he knows he won't enjoy it due to his heavy bias. It's not like he's screaming Go Home Gamer Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But has it ever been an issue? Like if I was talking about RoboCop and how great the drug warehouse raid scene is, someone might ask "which one?" And I say "The original."

It's such an easy thing to say and it only hurts your pride if your life was built upon RoboCop. Which is loving stupid.

• Locked thread