Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tunicate posted:

If the general public are conflating SHIELD and the Avengers, then it's a little more understandable.

And Hydra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Ultron in general is Stark's fault (which everyone seems to have forgotten) but most people just seemed really mad that the Avengers didn't have a literal 100% success rate in saving people from world ending catastrophes. It's not even like there's a gently caress up that everyone is pointing at. It's just people popping up to say "Someone I knew died at that disaster, so gently caress you for some reason."

It'd be like in the wake of 9/11 if everyone ignored the terrorists and got mad at the first responders for not being able to save every person in the tower.

I feel like in a world where a literal god and a giant green angry man are running around with a thawed-out supersoldier from the 40s people might expect a little more from them. They are called superheroes after all. Plus, this is Tony Stark we're talking about here. The man doesn't accept anything less that 100% success. His genius and his ego won't allow it. He built an infinite-power machine in a cave with a box of scraps. He won't accept that it can't be done perfectly, so instead he wants to trust a higher power to call the shots. Hence Ultron. He's right that the Avengers need oversight, but Cap is also right that the Sokovia Accords just shift the blame for when something goes wrong. Cap isn't about to trust any government organizations, not after Winter Soldier, but Tony is a man who wears his emotions on his sleeve. I could totally see him seeing the picture of that dead kid and trying to do anything to make it right. That's why he built the Iron Man suit to begin with, and its why he built Ultron too. I really like how they have set up the characters' motivations in the previous movies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sorry if this has been mentioned to death already and I'm unaware, but I assumed Stark is siding with the government because he doesn't trust himself more than anything. Since the first Iron Man, it seems like he's perpetually trying to redeem himself, and each time it just makes things worse. And at the same time, anything the UN does sanction means Tony doesn't have to carry the guilt of whatever aftermath results.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just watched the episode of Daredevil where the ninjas show up, and my god, this show has just become so dumb so suddenly. He can't tell where they are because they've somehow made their hearts beat more quietly? And he also can't hear their footsteps for some reason, I guess? But he can hear their swords? What?

And the courtroom scene was incredibly dumb. Matt's supposed to be questioning Frank, but instead he just starts what sounds like it should have been a closing argument, and rather than objecting the prosecutor just sits there looking angry. And this on top of Foggy's really unclear and dubious reasons for wanting Matt to do it in the first place, after Matt's been loving up and ignoring the case the whole time previous.

I'm also not at all clear on why they need to win this so badly. They keep saying that if they lose this case they'll have to stop being lawyers, but why?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tiggum posted:

I just watched the episode of Daredevil where the ninjas show up, and my god, this show has just become so dumb so suddenly. He can't tell where they are because they've somehow made their hearts beat more quietly? And he also can't hear their footsteps for some reason, I guess? But he can hear their swords? What?

And the courtroom scene was incredibly dumb. Matt's supposed to be questioning Frank, but instead he just starts what sounds like it should have been a closing argument, and rather than objecting the prosecutor just sits there looking angry. And this on top of Foggy's really unclear and dubious reasons for wanting Matt to do it in the first place, after Matt's been loving up and ignoring the case the whole time previous.
He was trying to give Matt one last shot to redeem himself. Matt was better at the types of cross examination they needed in the past which is why he wanted him to do it. But Matt hasn't been paying attention to the case one iota and royally screwed the pooch on it. He also was not aware that Fisk was in on it and wanted Frank to make himself look like an unrepentant criminal so he'd get put in prison.

quote:

I'm also not at all clear on why they need to win this so badly. They keep saying that if they lose this case they'll have to stop being lawyers, but why?
Publicity. This case is one of the biggest ever in terms of media attention and if they bombed the case then not only would there be a media circus around the failure, they went to bat for a mass murdering psychopath, which doesn't make them look good at all. The DA was also looking for any possible excuse to bury them.

It'd be like if the OJ case ended up in a guilty verdict, Johnny Cochran would look like a total rear end in a top hat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Publicity. This case is one of the biggest ever in terms of media attention and if they bombed the case then not only would there be a media circus around the failure, they went to bat for a mass murdering psychopath, which doesn't make them look good at all. The DA was also looking for any possible excuse to bury them.

It'd be like if the OJ case ended up in a guilty verdict, Johnny Cochran would look like a total rear end in a top hat.
But Nelson and Murdoch's clients are all people who can barely afford a lawyer and don't really have much choice in the matter anyway. :shrug:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Tiggum posted:

But Nelson and Murdoch's clients are all people who can barely afford a lawyer and don't really have much choice in the matter anyway. :shrug:

If you do public defender cases assigned by the courts, you get some money, although not much, and if it's specified in the civil lawsuit, the loser of a case can be on the hook for the winners' legal fees.

While they're not getting rich off the public defender cases or reimbursed legal fees, they're probably keeping the lights on, barely.

If the DA is against you, your assigned public defender cases are going to disappear, and you're going to have your civil cases continually bumped to the bottom of the docket.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Die Another Day Halle Berry stares at pierce brosnans dick for like 10 seconds and then says "that's a mouthful" and it's just really really bad.

So bad.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

oldpainless posted:

In Die Another Day Halle Berry stares at pierce brosnans dick for like 10 seconds and then says "that's a mouthful" and it's just really really bad.

So bad.
I watched that on tv while ill last week, it was like a loving fever dream. Especially the bit where Toby Stephens dresses up as Robocop and electrocutes everybody with jedi lightning.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oldpainless posted:

In Die Another Day Halle Berry just really really bad.

So bad.

:agreed:

Pilchenstein posted:

I watched that on tv while ill last week, it was like a loving fever dream. Especially the bit where Toby Stephens dresses up as Robocop and electrocutes everybody with jedi lightning.

It's like they made a late-era Roger Moore film with an enormous modern day budget/special effects.... except that should have ruled and instead what we got was.... what we got..... :cripes:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

It's like they made a late-era Roger Moore film with an enormous modern day budget/special effects.... except that should have ruled and instead what we got was.... what we got..... :cripes:

The fact that Brosnan was talking it up as being a real character piece for Bond makes it all even worse. Poor guy, he got the same number of good films as Dalton but he did twice as many.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

These bullshit ninjas actually retroactively ruin everything, because now every time you see Daredevil effortlessly avoid crashing into walls and furniture, it's because those things are humming quietly to themselves. It was never echolocation! No, Daredevil just lives in the sleazy part of Wonderland! I'm glad some dumbfuck in pajamas appeared on the show and demanded we believe Daredevil locates doors by following the sound of Break On Through! I haven't seen this level of dedication to annoying the gently caress out of people since Andy Kaufman!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Echolocation reliability drops with close, fast moving objects.

Not that listening for heartbeats works better though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, that poo poo was wicked stupid. Find another way to challenge daredevil.

"listening to people's heartbeats is child's play! Be a pro, and listen to people breathing! Which, for some reason, is more difficult to hear than a person's heartbeat, despite 'hearing people breathe' being a thing that ordinary people can do!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oldpainless posted:

Still not as bad as Denise Richards playing a nuclear physicist named Christmas.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phanatic posted:

Still not as bad as Denise Richards playing a nuclear physicist named Christmas.

Yeah, but the "I thought Christmas came only once a year :smug:" line almost made up for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You disgust me. It's people like you and comments like that that keep models who can't act out of STEM jobs.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

oldpainless posted:

In everything Halle Berry's just really really bad.

So bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, the mid-2000s, post Monster's Ball "put Halle Berry in everything" phase was the worst.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What happens to an X-Men movie when Halle Berry gets cast in it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So my wife and I are plugging through Daredevil season 1 and we just watched the episode where Wesley dies. Assuming this isn't some elaborate ruse and he's actually dead then what the actual gently caress? Did the actor hate the role and wanted out immediately, because everything about the scene was incredibly out of character for him. First I don't know why he offered her a job in the first place, it's not like Fisk is hurting for personnel, and discovering Fisk's mother wasn't that difficult or impressive of a feat. Second, why did he leave a loaded gun lying within arms reach of her? Why wasn't she restrained? Why didn't he just shoot her in the face immediately after taking her to the murder-warehouse?

And most of all, why the gently caress didn't he have one of those ballistics suits that the autistic guy makes for Fisk? Wesley was Fisk's right-hand man, confidant, and BFF. loving Leland got one, why not Wesley?

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
I think that whole scene was trying to communicate that homeboy is not a hardened thug like the dudes he keeps company with and maybe Karen is a little rougher than we'd thought.

It's supposed to seem out of character because it is. Wesley is over his head.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Who What Now posted:

So my wife and I are plugging through Daredevil season 1

I think I'm only just noticing in season two how poo poo this show is because season one distracted me with Vincent D'onofrio.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tiggum posted:

I think I'm only just noticing in season two how poo poo this show is because season one distracted me with Vincent D'onofrio.

Gosh, you're always on the bleeding edge of pop commentary.

Counterpoint: I think the show is fine and look forward to finishing the second season because ninjas in my blind demon comic show is fine because all of it is goofy as hell.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, that poo poo was wicked stupid. Find another way to challenge daredevil.

"listening to people's heartbeats is child's play! Be a pro, and listen to people breathing! Which, for some reason, is more difficult to hear than a person's heartbeat, despite 'hearing people breathe' being a thing that ordinary people can do!"

are you guys ignoring that these guys are ninjas? and i mean ninjas in that super comic book magic way. like the fact that matt has to focus to hear their breathing at all and can much more easily hear the sound their weapon makes moving through air should give you a clue these arent normal people.

I think the problem is that people seem to be expecting a more grounded show than they got

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Exactly.
Matt Devilman has X-ray vision because some turtle goo was splashed in his eyes when he was fleeing his abusive father, a sentient punching bag with a gin addiction.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inzombiac posted:

Exactly.
Matt Devilman has X-ray vision because some turtle goo was splashed in his eyes when he was fleeing his abusive father, a sentient punching bag with a gin addiction.

You have made me infinitely sad for this series will never exist.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I kinda figured that Matt couldn't hear the ninja's heartbeat cause they don't have a heartbeat, being undead mooks churned out through the super evil vase and all. I don't care if all that blood they harvested is required to rez just the guy he killed in the first season and Elektra, they're all undead mooks to me.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Inzombiac posted:

Counterpoint: I think the show is fine and look forward to finishing the second season because ninjas in my blind demon comic show is fine because all of it is goofy as hell.

Please get back to us in a week or so.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If matt can listen to the room he's in and hear a motionless box of nails he can locate a loving ninja.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ignite Memories posted:

If matt can listen to the room he's in and hear a motionless box of nails he can locate a loving ninja.

I think he smelled those.
Everyone knows that Matt Demonboy has an acute Rust Smelly Sense. It's helpful to diagnose problem areas on Android's big beefy body.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry you don't like my opinions about a TV show, I guess. :shrug:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ignite Memories posted:

What happens to an X-Men movie when Halle Berry gets cast in it?

The same thing that happens to every other movie, but with shittier acting :effort:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Elfgames posted:

are you guys ignoring that these guys are ninjas? and i mean ninjas in that super comic book magic way. like the fact that matt has to focus to hear their breathing at all and can much more easily hear the sound their weapon makes moving through air should give you a clue these arent normal people.

I think the problem is that people seem to be expecting a more grounded show than they got

Breathing is louder than heartbeats. It would kinda work if he ignored the heartbeats to listen to food digesting in their stomachs or something, but that;s dumb as hell too.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm rewatching The Avengers, and goddamn, everyone is right. Captain America's costume is awful.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

oldpainless posted:

So bad.

Oh come on this did not happen.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but the "I thought Christmas came only once a year :smug:" line almost made up for it.

Oh come on there's no way.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rolo posted:

Oh come on there's no way.

She tells him her name, then says something like "I've already heard all the jokes, so don't bother."

Then you spend the rest of the film cringing, waiting for the awful one-liner. Right at the end, when you think you've successfully avoided it, he appears out of the shadows in the laundry room and shanks you with the rusty screwdriver that is "I thought Christmas only came once a year"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

The fact that Brosnan was talking it up as being a real character piece for Bond makes it all even worse. Poor guy, he got the same number of good films as Dalton but he did twice as many.

Brosnan hated the one liners and garbage scripts he was given.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's something that kind of struck me watching the latest episode of Arrow. Okay, so last season Thea got Malcolm Merlyn's money because legally he was dead and she was his heir. So she buys a really nice apartment for her and Oliver to live in. Then this season Oliver and Felicity get engaged and move back to Star City and into the apartment, which Thea leaves. Then Oliver and Felicity break up and Oliver moves out. So it ends up with Felicity living in an apartment she did not buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Here's something that kind of struck me watching the latest episode of Arrow. Okay, so last season Thea got Malcolm Merlyn's money because legally he was dead and she was his heir. So she buys a really nice apartment for her and Oliver to live in. Then this season Oliver and Felicity get engaged and move back to Star City and into the apartment, which Thea leaves. Then Oliver and Felicity break up and Oliver moves out. So it ends up with Felicity living in an apartment she did not buy.

Most of the stuff they own was bought with money they embezzled from Oliver's/Ray's/Felicity's company.