Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Got back about an hour or so ago from taking my wife to have surgery done for a deviated septum. They told her that there would be some pain, but holy gently caress. She moaned, whined, and whimpered the entire way home and better than a half-hour after that. She's still sporadically doing it, after a Tylenol 3. It's setting off every protective defend-your-mate instinct I have something fierce. I'm incredibly tense, and I'm almost shaking. I haven't had this level of impotent rage in some time - drat near Hulk Smash levels. I want to kill something for hurting my wife, but there's nobody to kill. If someone were to cross me right now my response would be WAY out of proportion.
gently caress, I don't know if I can handle this.

Next time someone else is playing nursemaid - I get far too emotionally involved.
I'm missing some context here, what was the cause? Did someone punch your wife?

glyph posted:

2) Annnnd it's an oddball. I work in a D.O.E. funded plasma physics lab (fusion and poo poo, handshake- scaled experiments- with sandia and their Z machine).

...We have a grad student who is trying to make stupid thin cylinders (liners) of Aluminum. We can machine them to a .001" (25 micron) wall thickness semi-reliably, but he'd like a 2 (t w o) micron wall. We have a deposition chamber, and we've had no problem depositing (sputtering) the aluminum, but retrieving the cylinder from the mandrel/substrate has been a bitch. He had tried using a mandrel of some manner of plastic that will dissolve in citric acid, but the heat of the deposition created pocks in the plastic that tore the cylinder (liner) whilst dissolving. Inspired by AvE using alum to dissolve steel while keeping aluminum in one piece, I've deposited on a turned and polished steel mandrel, but the dissolve is too violent- bubbles. I've been daydreaming about something like salt or rock candy that can be turned to the O.D. he's looking for, that has a fighting chance of holding up to the heat of deposition- very high vacuum, so heat just.stays.- while dissolving in a very quiet and non-turbulent way.

Is there anything that y'all can think of that could deal with heat (~600C for an hour), but dissolve all nice and quiet like sos we could maybe pull this off?

E: I know it's a moonshot, but SA has come through before.
Could you make it of something that's susceptible to breaking up with vibration?

Or make them with a thicker wall for coating, then thin them out afterwards?

Afraid I can't help much. We have some stuff PVD'd by subcontractors on occasion, but it tends to be things that are like half an inch thick and made of stuff like Inconel, so they're pretty resilient.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

I'm missing some context here, what was the cause? Did someone punch your wife?

No, no - she's in pain from the surgery for a deviated septum, letting it be known, and there's really nothing I can do about it, which is personally frustrating.

Thankfully, my step-mother-in-law has shown up to help.
My bedside manner is awful, if it even exists.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kastein posted:

The whole trigger words thing is stupid tumblrina bullshit that I really wish people would stop taking seriously.

That being said, "everyone is a winner, give everyone a participation medal/ribbon/plaque" is the worst sort of mollycoddling garbage ever and should be stopped asap. Not everyone is going to be a crazy good athlete, stop trying to hug everyone and make everyone win at the same things and allow people to be different. Push kids to find what they love and are good at and then be as good as they can be at that thing. Everyone's got their thing they love and will be awesome at, but if you try to tell me "you tried" is good enough for a participation award in sports that I absolutely sucked at, I'm gonna tell you to cram it and stop flapping your dumb face at me, and then go find something I'm good at and excel at that until I'm worthy of a real medal.

*rant off*

Works just fine, but then you get what we have right now, a short sharp reminder that what you're good at doesn't mean poo poo unless it's in the rather narrow spectrum of 'things we can profit off of immensely'.

Lots of really talented people out there shoveling poo poo or pushing paper because whatever they're good at isn't the next get rich scheme, and feeling good about things is for children.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ageism scares the living gently caress out of me. It desont quite affect me yet, but lets say I lost my job - I would be hosed. I know too many people who around my age or a bit older lost their career and pretty much everything only for the sole reason they were over 45-50. And also there a bunch of poo poo like how you are falling apart and getting fat / losing it - that not the case at all, while I know I'm well and above the average 47 year old fitness-wise, we're perfectly capable mentally and physically to work, sometimes moreso than someone younger.

People literally get scrapheaped just due to a number of birthdays and it is highly likely to happen to most of us at soem point. I suspect as automation becomes more the norm, it'll hurt the older workers the most, because we tend to be better paid. If it came down to the 30+ year expecience Sysadmin or the graduate who is costing half - the older worker is goooooooooone. Doesnt matter if the experience cant be replaced, get the young kid in - he's not married, he'll be forced to work outragoues hours and he wont talk back and say they have kids they need to look after. It's not like 40 years ago you got to 65, you got the watch and told to gently caress off because you had about 5 years left to rot -we're now living soooo far past 65 that we have 20-30 odd years left, we are fit and healthy and can still work drat well. And to top it off, the GFC pretty much detonated a lot of retirement funds, houses are stupidly expensive, healthcare is rising on price at stupid rates, child care is too - being able to retire at 65 is just not an option becaus there is no money to retire with. I worked out that I could retire at 75 at my present rate, but how the gently caress am I going to keep a job for that long??? IT is very ageist, if I have to look for another job for *reasons* I'm simply done in this industry. Let alone if I do stay in till I'm 50, whats the chances I'll be replaced with someone a lot cheaper?

My parter's father was made redundant at 50 and never worked again. Another person I know got scrapheaped at 52 and can not get another job desipte his great work history - he's now driving buses for a third of what he used to earn. A lot of people say they could fall back on *insert job here* but automation and robotics are starting to cut the market to pieces. You aint going to go flip burgers in desperation, that low paid immigrant who Big Corp is illegally underpaying will be cleaning the shitter even if you want to do that, and the welfare safetynet is being cut from under you by the last Baby Boomers in power - who however will make sure they have plenty to retire on and grandfathered healthcare.

Gen X are just waking up to the fact we're now reaching the point where we know just how much we are being hosed over by the Boomera AND we see how our kids are being doubly hosed - even as we're on th threshold of boardrooms and the top line politicial postions so we might be able to fix it, our option are just gone. Raise taxes to fund healthcare? Politican poison. Want to keep older workers? Those retired shareholders want a bigger dividend and more profits, gently caress off. Climate change? HAHAHAHA yeah right, we've been left with a hell of a mess there and those old bastards who wont be around to see the results are still fighting the fixes.

Sorry if that sounds depressing but right now I dont see any upside. Ageism will get us all I fear and it's going to be a long misreble time once it does get us.

It's a son of a bitch from both sides, because those Boomers hanging on because they're still fit are the reason that a ton of Gen X'ers are still stuck in lovely 'entry level' positions in their thirties because there's no place to move up!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 18, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's hilarious that you guys think ageism is an actual thing the way racism is an actual thing. In the context of employment ageism is a symptom, not a cause.

Complaining about ageism in employment is like complaining about giant robot boots while a giant robot is kerbstomping you. Technically it IS what's crushing you, but it isn't the real problem and you can't separate it from the real problem: capitalism. Until olds start being more profitable than young poors for whatever reason, 'ageism' will continue to exist because the path to profits is to extract maximum revenue from minimum expenditure.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Upset bowels are a worthy price for good Indian food imo.

Slavvy posted:

Upset bowels are an indicator of good indian food.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If boomers would ever loving retire maybe ageism in the workplace wouldn't be a thing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Also the only thing I've ever heard of deviated septum a from is coke and piercings, what the heck happened that she got one??

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Also the only thing I've ever heard of deviated septum a from is coke and piercings, what the heck happened that she got one??

I've got one from breaking my nose as a kid. They're not uncommon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

I've got one from breaking my nose as a kid. They're not uncommon.

Oh, I never thought of that before. Makes way more sense as well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Slavvy posted:

Until olds start being more profitable than young poors for whatever reason, 'ageism' will continue to exist because the path to profits is to extract maximum revenue from minimum expenditure.

I think it's even more nuanced than that. It's short term profitability. Capitalism doesn't take into account that an experienced worker will earn the higher pay due to long term savings from things like higher quality and fewer bad decisions. Obviously that's not universal but generally it's true. But those are things that don't show a return THIS QUARTER so it's no longer valued. Penny wise pound foolish.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Slavvy posted:

It's hilarious that you guys think ageism is an actual thing the way racism is an actual thing. In the context of employment ageism is a symptom, not a cause.

Complaining about ageism in employment is like complaining about giant robot boots while a giant robot is kerbstomping you. Technically it IS what's crushing you, but it isn't the real problem and you can't separate it from the real problem: capitalism. Until olds start being more profitable than young poors for whatever reason, 'ageism' will continue to exist because the path to profits is to extract maximum revenue from minimum expenditure.

would you perhaps say that you would like to take a great leap in the forward direction?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Argh... Battling with rear axle bearings... Stupid semi floater designs that need a loving SST and special tools to remove.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sinestro posted:

would you perhaps say that you would like to take a great leap in the forward direction?

I find it maddening that being against capitalism = pro communism somehow. I'm hosed if I know what a good system would be, I just know a crap one when I see it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keykey posted:

Just go with it, if you didn't feel nervous then you wouldn't care that you're having a kid.

Yep. The nerves never truly go away (or it takes more than three years to do so, since that's where mine is at) but holy hell the awesome parts are just the best. You'll still get to deal with lots of poo poo, both figurative and literal, but it's so worth it.

The answer is you're never truly ready, and half of the baby garbage you bought, you will never touch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh, I never thought of that before. Makes way more sense as well.

I never injured my nose that I'm aware of, and I ended up having surgery for a deviated septum. :iiam:

It really is pretty common.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
7th gen Civic vs 9th gen corolla vs 1st gen Cobalt.

with bonus points given to the Cobalt for having cheap parts and being easy to work on.

Go.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Slavvy posted:

I find it maddening that being against capitalism = pro communism somehow. I'm hosed if I know what a good system would be, I just know a crap one when I see it.

I'm against both systems, I just feel like capitalism (albeit not unfettered capitalism like we seem to be rushing towards so hard these days) as practiced for many years here and still practiced in a lot of other places is probably less lovely than even the best 'success story' of communism and also like making sweet burns on internet forums. Blame it on spending too much time in YCS.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The biggest problem i see with communism is that the people who push to get into power under a capitalist system also push to get into power in the communist system, and a lovely person in charge of a communist country can do far more damage than a lovely person in charge of a capitalist country.

Going forward, we do need something that more closely resembles communism. With automation making a massive push into every career path, we can't just expect those displaced by it to starve. We've long been out of a "don't work, don't eat" world our current economic system was born from.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MustardFacial posted:

with bonus points given to the Cobalt for having cheap parts and being easy to work on.

Go.

The 7th gen Civic still has a timing belt to replace every ~90k. Cobalt and Corolla both use timing chains, though GM had timing chain issues on the Ecotec until ~2005 or so. Mostly due to the tensioner IIRC, which you can actually replace without pulling the timing cover (it screws into the firewall side of the block).

I have the Cobalt's cousin (06 Ion), and it's been pretty solid for me. Cobalt will be the cheapest to purchase. Cross shop the Cobalt with the Saturn Ion and Pontiac G5; they're all built in the same chassis (and in the case of the G5, all they really did was change the badging and lights vs the Cobalt). If you do look at Ions, avoid automatic coupes from 03-04 - they use a CVT that's lucky to hit 75k. 03-04 Ion sedans use a 5 speed automatic from Aisin, 05+ uses the same 4T45E you'd find in the Cobalt and G5. Most of the CVT ones were junked long ago.

Parts really aren't much more expensive for the Civic or Corolla vs the Cobalt. I know most a/c parts are cheaper for my mother's Toyota vs my Ion (and all, or close to all, of the a/c parts are the same as on the Cobalt).

They're all pretty reliable commuter cars. The Cobalt will have the worst interior quality, the Civic will probably have the best. If you care about resale value, the Civic will likely be the highest, but count on immediately having to drop $600ish into a timing belt job unless the previous owner can show proof that it was done.

The Cobalt isn't any easier to work on than a Corolla; if anything I'd say it's a little more difficult, due to the serpentine belt tensioner design, and the fact that the radiator has to come out from the bottom. Also, on the manual versions, you have to drop the subframe to replace the clutch. :fuckoff: The upside is they use a cartridge oil filter that drops in from the top, so oil changes are pretty easy. The Cobalt/G5/Ion also don't get great city mileage; EPA rating on my 2006 w/manual transmission is 22 city, and I typically get right about that on an all-city tank.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 18, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MustardFacial posted:

Go.

I'm sorry, AI has exceeded it's commuter car allotment, you're allowed a Buick Roadmaster or 80s turbo lotus :colbert:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Wanted: one vinyl decal of the race track in season 1 episode 7 of "the legend of korra" because cartoons are awesome and that track looks awesome.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slavvy posted:

It's hilarious that you guys think ageism is an actual thing the way racism is an actual thing.

Excuse me, but it most certainly IS a thing. Get to 50 and you'll see it a lot more clearly too.

quote:

In the context of employment ageism is a symptom, not a cause.

That is a fair bit of it, but there is more to it than the evil of capitalism.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

scuz posted:

Wanted: one vinyl decal of the race track in season 1 episode 7 of "the legend of korra" because cartoons are awesome and that track looks awesome.

Me too.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

some texas redneck posted:

The 7th gen Civic still has a timing belt to replace every ~90k. Cobalt and Corolla both use timing chains, though GM had timing chain issues on the Ecotec until ~2005 or so. Mostly due to the tensioner IIRC, which you can actually replace without pulling the timing cover (it screws into the firewall side of the block).

I have the Cobalt's cousin (06 Ion), and it's been pretty solid for me. Cobalt will be the cheapest to purchase. Cross shop the Cobalt with the Saturn Ion and Pontiac G5; they're all built in the same chassis (and in the case of the G5, all they really did was change the badging and lights vs the Cobalt). If you do look at Ions, avoid automatic coupes from 03-04 - they use a CVT that's lucky to hit 75k. 03-04 Ion sedans use a 5 speed automatic from Aisin, 05+ uses the same 4T45E you'd find in the Cobalt and G5. Most of the CVT ones were junked long ago.

Parts really aren't much more expensive for the Civic or Corolla vs the Cobalt. I know most a/c parts are cheaper for my mother's Toyota vs my Ion (and all, or close to all, of the a/c parts are the same as on the Cobalt).

They're all pretty reliable commuter cars. The Cobalt will have the worst interior quality, the Civic will probably have the best. If you care about resale value, the Civic will likely be the highest, but count on immediately having to drop $600ish into a timing belt job unless the previous owner can show proof that it was done.

The Cobalt isn't any easier to work on than a Corolla; if anything I'd say it's a little more difficult, due to the serpentine belt tensioner design, and the fact that the radiator has to come out from the bottom. Also, on the manual versions, you have to drop the subframe to replace the clutch. :fuckoff: The upside is they use a cartridge oil filter that drops in from the top, so oil changes are pretty easy. The Cobalt/G5/Ion also don't get great city mileage; EPA rating on my 2006 w/manual transmission is 22 city, and I typically get right about that on an all-city tank.

:allears:

I don't care what they say about you STR, you're alright in my book.

2004-2005 Cobalts are few and far between around these parts for some reason (as are non-redline ion's and G5's). I'm seeing a lot of 2006+ pop up on CL and kijiji though. Through some additional research, the 2007+ have AUX jacks in the head unit, so I will have to prioritize those over everything else. Literally all I care about is price, reliability/easy to repair, working heat, and some way to play my ipod. Nothing else matters. This car will be a highway pig taking me to and from school everyday. Where all I care about is getting there in time in relative comfort. I'm leaning more towards the Cobalt simply because it's easier to find cheaper ones for lower miles, but I mean if the right civic or corolla crosses my path, I'm not going to say no.

It's actually a bit strange, if I go back through my car history this will be far and away the "shittiest" car I've ever had. And yet it's the one I'm most excited about. I've always had a weird thing about cheap, reliable transportation. There is a beauty to very simple machines.

Does this cartoon have a Senna analogue? Because I bet that chicane in the main straight was put in after his death. :ocelot:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 18, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I get around 19 in my redline if I'm lucky and thanks to the supercharger oil changes are a loving bitch because they decided to put the oil cap directly underneat where you can't get to it without taking the blower off

I'm looking forward to this thing dying a slow and agonizing death, or selling it to some kid looking for "a fast car"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

2004-2005 Cobalts are few and far between around these parts for some reason (as are non-redline ion's and G5's). I'm seeing a lot of 2006+ pop up on CL and kijiji though. Through some additional research, the 2007+ have AUX jacks in the head unit, so I will have to prioritize those over everything else. Literally all I care about is price, reliability/easy to repair, working heat, and some way to play my ipod. Nothing else matters. This car will be a highway pig taking me to and from school everyday. Where all I care about is getting there in time in relative comfort. I'm leaning more towards the Cobalt simply because it's easier to find cheaper ones for lower miles, but I mean if the right civic or corolla crosses my path, I'm not going to say no.

It's actually a bit strange, if I go back through my car history this will be far and away the "shittiest" car I've ever had. And yet it's the one I'm most excited about. I've always had a weird thing about cheap, reliable transportation. There is a beauty to very simple machines.

Does this cartoon have a Senna analogue? Because I bet that chicane in the main straight was put in after his death. :ocelot:

I'm kind of a :spergin: about any car I've owned, and well, I've owned two Civics in the past. Plus the Ion I have now. :v: (.. along with 3 Accords, an Integra, an Altima, and a F-150 - the Altima and F-150 were the most unreliable by far)

The Ion got the newer stereo with aux in starting in the 06 model year (mine is a very early 06, with an 06/2005 build date, and the factory stereo had it). I figured the Cobalt would too, but I forgot that the earlier Cobalts had the stereo double as the driver information center. They moved it into the cluster after the 2007 refresh (Ions don't have a driver info center at all though, beyond using the odometer to show "TRUNK", "GAS CAP", "CHG OIL", and "CHK GAGES").

You can always swap the stereo, though on the Cobalt and G5, the stereo also handles all of the warning chimes, beeps, etc, so to retain those you need a ~$100 adapter (if you don't use it, you just lose the audible warnings). The Ion has a small speaker on the back of the cluster instead.

The Cobalt doesn't hold its value too well, so even the newest ones are pretty cheap at this point - a lot cheaper than a similar year/condition Civic or Corolla would go for. If you just want cheap transportation, Cobalt/Ion/G5 would be a good bet. Bonus points if you happen to find one with the 2.4 (they're almost all 2.2 - the 2.4 has a bit more power and still gets about the same mileage). A quick glance at my local Craigslist shows plenty in good shape for $4k, and a lot of beaters for $2k.

And yeah.. if I go through my car history, this is definitely the shittiest car I've owned, at least by brand and model recognition. Don't give a gently caress, it's been reliable, easily as reliable as the Hondas I've owned.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 18, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That is a fair bit of it, but there is more to it than the evil of capitalism.

As I understand it your complaint specifically is that it's difficult for you to get a job compared to a younger but less skilled worker. Lets say I'm a manager looking at both of your CV's. The system incentivises my company, and by extension me, to employ the cheaper employee and swallow the costs of their gently caress-ups and inefficiency because it works out cheaper than paying you a decent wage and all the perks etc you expect. That is all there is to it; discrimination against older people is pretty much a direct result of this and I'm having a hard time seeing what more there is. It's like saying banks discriminate against poor people - they do, but it's because they operate within a framework where it's a sensible thing to do, not because they hate poors.

I can't imagine anyone discriminating against older people on the basis of personal prejudice the way you would against an ethnicity or gender or w/e. Also I'm self-employed now so I hope to god I don't need to find another job when I'm in my 50's, let alone discover the wonders of ageism.

MustardFacial posted:

Why, what are they saying :v:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

some texas redneck posted:

(.. along with 3 Accords, an Integra, an Altima, and a F-150 - the Altima and F-150 were the most unreliable by far)
In order:

1984 Mazda RX-7 (had no rear suspension whatsoever. the driveshaft would rub against the body if you beat on it. Which I did. Constantly)
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.3L V8
2002 Jeep Liberty (was actually my mom's car, but at the time was my primary mode of transportation while I was home from uni)
1988 Mazda RX-7 ( I ruined this car through neglect. Still feel bad about it)
2008 VW GTI
2010 Nissan Frontier (work truck, again technically not mine.)

I'm adding Cobalt's to the mix because they are cheaper and far more plentiful than their cousins. For the same price I could get a 170,000km Civic or Corolla I could get a 100-120,000km Cobalt. Literally all I need is a driving appliance that I can dump oil and gas into and it will run far enough to bring me home. I mean depending on how soon I get a new car I will likely run through the pick 'n pull and grab whatever options I want that aren't part of the original car. It's been a good long time since I've done a junkyard run.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

As I understand it your complaint specifically is that it's difficult for you to get a job compared to a younger but less skilled worker. Lets say I'm a manager looking at both of your CV's. The system incentivises my company, and by extension me, to employ the cheaper employee and swallow the costs of their gently caress-ups and inefficiency because it works out cheaper than paying you a decent wage and all the perks etc you expect. That is all there is to it; discrimination against older people is pretty much a direct result of this and I'm having a hard time seeing what more there is.

No, that's not all there is to it. There is indeed that as a factor I acknowledge and I suffered it in 2002 when the tech wreck meant I lost out to a cheaper resource - but the straight out fact of the matter is that ageism most certainly does exist and it's not just about money. People who have grey hair most certainly do get knocked back just because they are older, not that they cost more or whatever other factors. My mum had to lie on her resume to get jobs. Luckily she looks ten years younger so she could get away with it - so there indeed is a terific example of ageism, try being over 50 and getting a PA role or reception ... you are going to have a baaaaaaaad time. Isolated? HELL NO. In IT Ageism is utterly rampant. Highly qualified older workers do and will get passed over for younger ones for no other reason other than age.

Take a walk in GBS (yeah I know, GBS), ageism can be easily found right there as an example. Like saying some older guy cant do x when it's drat well proven they can and can even do it better than someone younger. You might not be able to imagine ageism but mate, I'm right there and seeing it happen to others near my age.

quote:

I can't imagine anyone discriminating against older people on the basis of personal prejudice the way you would against an ethnicity or gender or w/e

And yet we have posters in this thread who can tell you it's starting to happen to them. Yes it most certainly can and does happen exactly like being racist or sexist. Why wouldnt it happen?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok I think I understand what's going on here. I was not aware that ageist people existed in the strictest sense. Am I to understand that there are people out there who think there's like an expiry date for people as far as age goes? How do you justify that mentally? Everyone is eventually old including yourself, do you kill yourself out of bigoted rage come age 55 or what? Where's the fear of the different/unknown that underpins other bigotry like hating a race/sexuality/religion? It just makes no sense to me.

It's an interesting topic and I'm not trying to debate with you, I am legitimately interested in knowing more about this. Have people conducted studies or surveys or w.h.y.? If not, is there anyone making an effort to get some kind of research done on the matter?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ferremit posted:

Argh... Battling with rear axle bearings... Stupid semi floater designs that need a loving SST and special tools to remove.

Aaand gave up. Came down to having to buy a press for $250 and fabricating up an adapter bracket to make it all work and for $260 the local Toyota dealer will rip out the old bearings and seals and set up both sides, so they've got my axles and I'll have em back tomorrow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's loving simple you dumbass. Stop overthinking it.

Why invest $Xk into hiring somebody who potentially will work for you for 15 years, when you could have someone possibly on the hook for 30? Also, the 25 year old will work for cheaper than the 50 year old.

That's it. Simple. Done.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ugh. Think I have food poisoning or something. Started throwing up and making GBS threads liquid fire at work yesterday and continued all night. So dehydrated right now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No, that's not all there is to it. There is indeed that as a factor I acknowledge and I suffered it in 2002 when the tech wreck meant I lost out to a cheaper resource - but the straight out fact of the matter is that ageism most certainly does exist and it's not just about money. People who have grey hair most certainly do get knocked back just because they are older, not that they cost more or whatever other factors. My mum had to lie on her resume to get jobs. Luckily she looks ten years younger so she could get away with it - so there indeed is a terific example of ageism, try being over 50 and getting a PA role or reception ... you are going to have a baaaaaaaad time. Isolated? HELL NO. In IT Ageism is utterly rampant. Highly qualified older workers do and will get passed over for younger ones for no other reason other than age.

Take a walk in GBS (yeah I know, GBS), ageism can be easily found right there as an example. Like saying some older guy cant do x when it's drat well proven they can and can even do it better than someone younger. You might not be able to imagine ageism but mate, I'm right there and seeing it happen to others near my age.

Yeah, I'm in IT and have watched it happen. Even when we're hiring for basic technical roles, there's often hesitation to pick up an older candidate because of the perception that they either aren't going to stick it out because they'll leave for a better offer, or they're going to be resistant to picking up new systems.

Slavvy posted:

Ok I think I understand what's going on here. I was not aware that ageist people existed in the strictest sense. Am I to understand that there are people out there who think there's like an expiry date for people as far as age goes? How do you justify that mentally? Everyone is eventually old including yourself, do you kill yourself out of bigoted rage come age 55 or what? Where's the fear of the different/unknown that underpins other bigotry like hating a race/sexuality/religion? It just makes no sense to me.

It's an interesting topic and I'm not trying to debate with you, I am legitimately interested in knowing more about this. Have people conducted studies or surveys or w.h.y.? If not, is there anyone making an effort to get some kind of research done on the matter?

Maybe you missed the memo, but some people are absolute shits until they're the target of the same discrimination. The IT world especially is obsessed with the next new thing, and it's a shitload cheaper to lowball a recent grad than to risk having to ever train anyone on anything. The days where longevity and experience were valued are long past, at this point the whole mindset is that people can be reduced to checkbox skillsets and man hours calculations. Agile development and the cargo cult surrounding it and trying to apply the principals to other workflows are especially bad about this.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 18, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

In order:

1984 Mazda RX-7 (had no rear suspension whatsoever. the driveshaft would rub against the body if you beat on it. Which I did. Constantly)
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.3L V8
2002 Jeep Liberty (was actually my mom's car, but at the time was my primary mode of transportation while I was home from uni)
1988 Mazda RX-7 ( I ruined this car through neglect. Still feel bad about it)
2008 VW GTI
2010 Nissan Frontier (work truck, again technically not mine.)

I'm adding Cobalt's to the mix because they are cheaper and far more plentiful than their cousins. For the same price I could get a 170,000km Civic or Corolla I could get a 100-120,000km Cobalt. Literally all I need is a driving appliance that I can dump oil and gas into and it will run far enough to bring me home. I mean depending on how soon I get a new car I will likely run through the pick 'n pull and grab whatever options I want that aren't part of the original car. It's been a good long time since I've done a junkyard run.

Lemme get my ruler... uh... yard stick...

1980 Ford F-150 XLT - hand-me-down from stepdad. Massive pile of poo poo that had an unhealthy appetite for starters and alternators - I'm sure the SAE 60 oil I ran had nothing to do with the starters. That oil was run because it had absolutely gently caress all for oil pressure otherwise. Also because the rear main seal was a loving lawn sprinkler with normal weights. Even with 60 it lost ~1 qt/day in regular driving, and ~1 qt/75 miles on road trips. Parked when it lost reverse, but from the day I got it until the day it died, it wouldn't go into any forward gears on a cold start until it had been running for several minutes (up to 30 minutes in the winter). When I got it, the transmission fluid resembled roofing tar. Sold to some random guy who asked me about it.

1988 Honda Accord LXi - 4 door, 5 speed manual. Taught myself how to handle a stick. Also learned the importance of timing belts... and carfax. Carfax didn't exist when I bought it, but when I ran the VIN when Carfax did come out, I found out the odometer had been rolled back at least 100k. Wound up getting stolen.

1988 Honda Accord DX - 2 door, 5 speed manual. Bought it from a dealer mechanic, had a junkyard engine in it when I got it and a "brand new ac system". High side hose popped off of the compressor on the way home, guy I bought it from told me you're not supposed to run the ac at highway speeds ever. :fuckoff: Gave it to my roommate when I got the next car, he drove it with no coolant and killed it.

1996 Honda Civic EX - 2 door, 5 speed manual. Went into my ricer phase with this. 2 engines and 3 transmissions later...

1991 Acura Integra LS - 3 door hatch, automatic. It was a solid car aside from the typical 2g Integra issues.... and the adjustable FPR that the PO installed (which gave an awesome 40+ mpg highway, but also wound up torching some valves...)

1995 Honda Civic EX - 2 door, 5 speed manual. Paid $200, salvage title, 198k, dead clutch, dead battery, dead ac. Friend helped me put a clutch in, threw a battery in, threw a cheap Monza Pacesetter exhaust on it, enjoyed all the VTECs. Until I said "hi" to the side of an 18 wheeler. Sold the wreckage for $200 to someone that needed an engine.

2001 Honda Accord LX - 4 door, 5 speed manual. Nothing special in any way, had random IACV issues that would cause it to stall occasionally when disengaging the clutch. Especially fun when I stepped on the clutch to downshift on a cloverleaf exit ramp and the engine died, taking the power steering with it. The only memorable thing about that beige appliance (yes, it was beige) was it would nail 35+ mpg easily on road trips, which wasn't bad at all for such a big car.

1999 Nissan Altima GXE - 4 door, 5 speed manual. Serious appetite for transmissions, it was on its 3rd when I got rid of it. Had timing chain death rattle, and fixing it would have cost more than the car was worth. Plus some rear end in a top hat nailed it in the parking lot at school. Traded it in on...

2006 Saturn Ion 3 (basically the 1LT version of the Cobalt) - 4 door "coupe" (suicide doors instead of real rear doors), 5 speed manual. Paid way too much, but it was pretty much mint inside and out. 66k when I got it 3 1/2 years ago, 140k now.

FWIW, I've only had to add oil once between oil changes on the Saturn (remember, same engine as about 95% of Cobalts - Ecotec 2.2L L61), and I run loooooong oil changes (~9000 miles on Mobil 1 High Mileage synthetic). It's generally closer to "add" than "full" by the time I change it, but I've only seen it get down to the "add" mark once. Technically the 01 Accord was more reliable in that I never did a drat thing to it, but I lived with the IACV being a bitch for several years. Saturn has needed a battery, thermostat, front brakes, and a fuel pump (fuel pump paid for by GM, so I don't really count it).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 18, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Slavvy posted:

I guess if you think about it, it happened enough that we've passed laws banning it. If someone actually comes out and says they're hiring someone younger for no other reason than that, you can sue them for age discrimination.

Ironically the roots of age discrimination were "why would I hire an old guy he's just going to work a few years till retirement and then quit". Back in the days when they wanted employees to stick around. Very similar to the argument against hiring young women. "They'll just quit when it's time to have babies".

Good news for me this week, my dad is paying me to do an engine swap. So I'll stave off a few more weeks of my debt hole. Plus I get to visit my family.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally went online to get internet service for the new apartment.

Time Warner is who I have now, and they're more than happy to provide internet at the new place!

.... for nearly twice as much. For a quarter of the speed. :wtf: I have 200/20 now, I would have 50/5. I pay $40/mo now, it would be $70+ for 50/5.

gently caress. At least the place has fiber, looks like I'll get to talk to Frontier. I'm fine with 50 down, but as much as I stream poo poo from home to a laptop or phone (plus the occasional torrents and maintaining my ratio on those linux ISO distribution torrents), 5 up ain't gonna cut it. Frontier verified that 50/50 is their cheapest offering out there, but couldn't give me a price and said I needed to call sales during business hours (great..)

What's weird is Time Warner confirmed that the leasing office (2 buildings away) qualifies for up to 300 mbit. But since the place I'm moving to has a different street address for each building, instead of the more common (for here) 1 street address for the entire property + non-repeating apartment numbers format, that doesn't mean poo poo to them.

LloydDobler posted:

Ironically the roots of age discrimination were "why would I hire an old guy he's just going to work a few years till retirement and then quit".

This is exactly what my stepdad has been running into - and he's also seen his pay cut in half over the past several years.

Part of it falls on him - he refused to move past "MGT", which was essentially Walgreens talk for "store assistant manager" or "manager in training", and that position got eliminated. Of course they replaced it with the exact same position with the exact same responsibilities, but renamed it, and made everyone re-interview for the job. Then told them they were cutting their pay, benefits, and overtime went from "hey, the job's not gonna do itself" to "holy gently caress NO, DON'T EVER HIT loving OT EVEN IF THE loving PLACE IS ON FIRE JESUS gently caress THINK OF THE SHAREHOLDERS YOU JERK".

He's 65 now. Can't even get a call back when he applies anywhere, and he went from making $70-80k/yr to about $40k... and that's with him pulling as much OT as he can without the store manager ripping into him.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 18, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Slavvy posted:

It probably boils down to younger people placing the blame of the economy, the job landscape, and everything else on the shoulders of the generations who have had the opportunity to not gently caress everything up but managed to anyways

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Okay, we're getting on the same page - yes ageism in the strict sense really does exist. There's all sorts of basis that people use to do the mental gymnastics to justify it but as per any other thing like racism, sexism, homophobia, it's just usually just bullshit *insert reasoning here* that makes someone feel comfortable for their stupidity. Fear of getting old yourself, the fact that older workers dont put up with bullshit like 100 hour weeks and living at work, they demand fair pay for fair work, they demand a work / life balance, they are more liekly to tell bullies to gently caress off..... the reasons given are endless but it just comes down to the fact people are asssholes.

If you are racist, you are an rear end in a top hat. If you are a homophobe, you are an rear end in a top hat. If you are sexist, you are an rear end in a top hat. If you are ageist, you are an rear end in a top hat.

Sure older peopel may have some limitation imposed by age - there's not getting around the fact that at 75 your body aint gonna work like it was at 25 - but literally you see ageism start about 45 when someone is actually these days in their prime. 50? Come on, there's people who do Ironman and do it well. 60? Can still beat the poo poo out of much younger. 70? I've been ripped to shreds by a old guy on a steel bike uphill. I'm drat near fainting and he's like "Hi, isnt this nice?" 80? Still see men and women working happily in their own businesses. 90? Okay now we are talking outliers here but I used to do IT for a guy who was still at his desk every day and you could not put a thing by him, sharper than anyone in the office. Age is no barrier but there is a lot of fuckwits who dont see it that way until they get that old themselves.

Hell, I got into a debate when some younger woman was going on about how "old" people cant do poo poo and and her definition of old was 50. Which I then had great pleasure in telling her what I did a day. Someone half my age BS about old and feeble 50 year old when she was face to face with someone who literally does 80km bike and then 2km swim a day whenever I feel like it. I know I'm not the normal 47 year old but come on, 50 aint old anymore, this isnt the 19th century where you were lucky to reach 50. 65 used to be retirement age because that when a fuckload just drat well died. Now? You got 20 years left, 15 of them most likely will be good ones.

But yet here we are. Ageism is a biiiiig loving issue esp as the population age BUT our useful lives get much much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

glyph posted:

Hivemind I beg of you:

...2) Annnnd it's an oddball. I work in a D.O.E. funded plasma physics lab (fusion and poo poo, handshake- scaled experiments- with sandia and their Z machine)...

Limestone? That's a pretty wasteful and slow method, but you can dissolve it chemically without hurting the aluminum.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

...But yet here we are. Ageism is a biiiiig loving issue esp as the population age BUT our useful lives get much much longer.
Cat, Cat, Cat. Nothing you've said so far about older workers makes me want to hire them.

I'm not as old as you are by a shot - the younger side of Gen X, but I've been in the IT industry for about 17 years. I started out doing component swapping "repair" on desktops and ended up as a multi-discipline system admin/wannabe architect.

Lots of other people have made valid points as to why an older worker might not get hired over a younger candidate, but you have to look at your comments so far from a different light. They're not really good arguments to hire someone "older". You're basically saying "Older workers have more commitments outside of work (and therefore are less flexible), are less likely to work overtime (because that's something only a young sucker would fall for), want more pay (because they have experience; despite their knowledge of PASCAL and IBM 360s being useless), and are gonna retire long before a younger worker would leave (except for extreme outliers who wanna work until they drop dead at 90).

If you're not comparing a completely typical fresh college grad to a 50 year old, what a 50 year old interviewee brings to the table over a younger candidate is experience. And in IT, nothing beyond 8-10 years is worthwhile except for legacy work positions (like the guys who are making bank maintaining 20+ year old COBOL programs). Look at what you were doing 10 years ago - hell, look at what I was doing. I was on a working group to define the specs of a linux operating system baseline for a major governmental agency and contributing key technical input - and that was based on RHEL3. Worthless today.

You can't guarantee an older worker has the intangibles any more than a younger worker - ability to work in a team, methodical troubleshooting technique, efficient time management, ability to learn new technologies, etc.

So, not taking any hiring candidates as individuals but instead pitting "group of over 45" against "group of 25-45", why would I hire someone from the over 45 group?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 18, 2016

• Locked thread