Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm 272 and still missing Keeper of Souls, Jarl, Celestia, Shadow Dragon, and most of the top troops from several of the most recent kingdoms. I've got multiple copies of each of the ones I do have. RNGesus hates me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Grundulum posted:

T-t-t-triple post!

The first (possibly only) preview for 2.0 just went up. The new PVP system looks pretty fun, although the global ranking system (not the tier system) will reward hardcore grinders pretty much exclusively.

https://youtu.be/LEx65q8pXNw

What I took from this:

You now choose from three opponents when you go to PVP and have to pay gems if you want to look for someone else.

Losing now lowers your rank, and from what they showed it looks like a loss will drop you a lot further than a win will raise you.

"Backing out" counts as a loss. I'm guessing this means that force closing the app will no longer keep it from counting the loss.

Anything higher than rank 5 pays out better than what we get at rank 1 currently.

So yeah, it definitely looks like it more favors people who already have strong teams but it may end up not really changing anything much.

porktree posted:

The new system looks challenging - are they eliminating the separate defense team?

I need to come up with a more robust attach team than the goblin hoarde I'm using. What are you high-level folks using for attack teams now?

I'm 260 and run two teams - Hobgoblin, Boar Rider, Goblin Shaman, and Goblin King for most things and then Gob Chomper, Infernal King, Green Slime, and Goblin Smasher (Warlord class) as my anti-Goblin team. I feel like I win like 99% of my matches (my stats say I've lost 7 out of ~600 matches)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I almost never lose with a fully traited Treant/Valkyrie/Alchemist/Banshee at lvl150, your action supremacy rolls over anything

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jibo posted:

You now choose from three opponents when you go to PVP and have to pay gems if you want to look for someone else.

Losing now lowers your rank, and from what they showed it looks like a loss will drop you a lot further than a win will raise you.

"Backing out" counts as a loss. I'm guessing this means that force closing the app will no longer keep it from counting the loss.

(1) You only pay gems to get a new trio of opponents in the ladder system. There is also a casual system that awards glory and gold, but not PVP points. In the casual system you pay 50 gold for a new trio -- it's nice to have a low-risk method of testing out new teams before jumping into the meat grinder of ladder matches.

(2) The potential gains and losses vary substantially. There were a few fights in the video that showed a gain of 30 vs a loss of just 6. No clue yet how this is calculated, but I am very curious to see if the risk/reward is based on current team makeup. If that is the case, then changing teams in response to your opponent's setup could wind up costing you some reward. Or it is calculated based on the team you field when you pull the opponents, and you could intentionally select a weak team for that and game the system that way. Need more info to tell for sure.

(3) I believe that anything except a victory screen now counts as a loss. Sirrian expressed regret that some people would legitimately lose a signal at the wrong time and get unfairly credited with a loss, but that's just how the system has to work now.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING

porktree posted:

I need to come up with a more robust attach team than the goblin hoarde I'm using. What are you high-level folks using for attack teams now?

I'm using:
Hero: Crescendo/some class with a magic boost
Alchemist
Goblin Rocket
Goblin Rocket

It has less oomph now that they upped Goblin Rocket's mana cost a bit, but it still wrecks everything. Guess I'm not particularly high level though (only 140).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bandire posted:

I'm 272 and still missing Keeper of Souls, Jarl, Celestia, Shadow Dragon, and most of the top troops from several of the most recent kingdoms. I've got multiple copies of each of the ones I do have. RNGesus hates me.

I wish they'd allow trades within Guilds.

I'm doing ok with my Gob Rocket, Goblin, Boar Rider and Gob Shaman - once I finally get one more damned arcane traitstone I may swap the Hobgoblin in.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Please disable Morlani's Scythe in arena tia

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
(1) Thinking about building a Great Maw / KoS / Valkyrie / Great Spider team now that I have 16 Arcane Mountain traitstones. I will devour everything.

(2) Two new troops in the same event this week (one red/green epic, and one blue/green ultra-rare). This seems patently unfair given that a new kingdom will be dropping soon.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What am I doing wrong that most of my enemies' creatures have 3-4 times as much life and attack as my troops?

I expect from the players at level 1000, but even the guys in the 400's seem much more powerful this week.

I'm primarily rolling Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Banshee with all of them at level 19 and fully traited.

I'm just above level 250 and not a whale if that makes any difference.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

What am I doing wrong that most of my enemies' creatures have 3-4 times as much life and attack as my troops?

I expect from the players at level 1000, but even the guys in the 400's seem much more powerful this week.

I'm primarily rolling Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Banshee with all of them at level 19 and fully traited.

I'm just above level 250 and not a whale if that makes any difference.

Check your difficulty settings to see if you have it on Warlord or whatever.

Also Valkyrie teams have really low stats compared to anything with synergy/kingdom bonuses.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Naga Queen pack comes with a blue/green arcane trait stone. I need so many of these! Finally got Stone Skin on Treant, and will probably get poisonous on my Giant Spider.

Green Slime's stone costs are ridiculous. Legendary level costs for pretty generic traits. Seems like a mistake.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Grundulum posted:

(1) Thinking about building a Great Maw / KoS / Valkyrie / Great Spider team now that I have 16 Arcane Mountain traitstones. I will devour everything.
The real cheese is fully traited Great Maw / KoS / Valkyrie / Mercy. Hope Mercy's Empowered gets nerfed hard in 2.0. Such bullshit having one of your troops devoured on the first or second turn with no way to prevent, other than scouting and skipping.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah Green Slime traits are pretty bad. I invested souls into a Slime / Valk / Banshee / Sheggra team recently (I got killed by it in pvp once and was looking for a fun Valkyrie deck), and it's pretty fun when it works, but Slime kind of sucks as a tank, and whenever he's killed all the fun synergy falls apart. Treant is definitely worth it, though.

Mercy requires what, 12 Arcane stones for empowered? Ugh. I could just barely afford that, would you say it's worth it? Or is it true that she's going to get nerfed anyways?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

grrarg posted:

The real cheese is fully traited Great Maw / KoS / Valkyrie / Mercy. Hope Mercy's Empowered gets nerfed hard in 2.0. Such bullshit having one of your troops devoured on the first or second turn with no way to prevent, other than scouting and skipping.

I've run in to Great Maw/Mercy combo a few times now and it is indeed some bullshit.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
So after my fiancee showed me the skip opening button I opened about 800 chests of various types. I got a couple new legendarys but the ones that looked interesting were bone dragon and sheggra are there any good setups for one or both of them?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jibo posted:

Check your difficulty settings to see if you have it on Warlord or whatever.

That did it. Is that a bug that difficulty applies to PVP?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

xyigx posted:

So after my fiancee showed me the skip opening button I opened about 800 chests of various types. I got a couple new legendarys but the ones that looked interesting were bone dragon and sheggra are there any good setups for one or both of them?

Sheggra and Bone Dragon are enough to do work on their own, especially if you can get them traited and pair them up with another couple of strong dragons (preferably with traits that benefit from dragons).

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Bone Dragon, with the Frozen Soul trait, is one of the best defensive units in the game. Being frozen shuts down any combo team.

Too bad Legendaries have such huge costs in stones.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
I got a kick out of that last event, the sac priest actually kind of made you build a team around him instead of just being a handicap with a team of 3 like the last few dudes.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I figured out my problem last week during the event. My armor got reset to the starting armor with no bonuses. Probably from installing on a new phone.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
So PvP is getting a lot harder for me. Half of my opponents have massive stats (probably from Kingdom bonuses?) and half again of those come at me with 2+ legendaries ascended to mythical and fully traited. I can win against a slightly stronger team because going first is a big boon in this game and the AI isn't very good, but this is just impossible a lot of the time. Is it because my level (recently passed 150) put me in a different group? When just starting it was reasonably smooth getting to rank 1. I still get there eventually, but the opponents are so wildly apart from eachother in difficulty that winning feels more like a function of drawing the right opponent than of playing well. I either win easily or don't stand a chance from the start 80% of the time.

Guess the PvP overhaul will fix this, hopefully?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Griefor posted:

So PvP is getting a lot harder for me. Half of my opponents have massive stats (probably from Kingdom bonuses?) and half again of those come at me with 2+ legendaries ascended to mythical and fully traited. I can win against a slightly stronger team because going first is a big boon in this game and the AI isn't very good, but this is just impossible a lot of the time. Is it because my level (recently passed 150) put me in a different group? When just starting it was reasonably smooth getting to rank 1. I still get there eventually, but the opponents are so wildly apart from eachother in difficulty that winning feels more like a function of drawing the right opponent than of playing well. I either win easily or don't stand a chance from the start 80% of the time.

I'm guessing it's your level because I'm at 100 and tend to get level 80-180 and rarely get opponents with fully traited epic or legend arises, and no mythics or whatever that last Ascension level is

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Also check your difficulty setting, if you haven't. If you can't manage the warlord difficulties, try hard or even normal, that'll do a lot to reduce the stats of enemies. PvP 2.0 will fix difficulty levels so they no longer apply in PvP, like the loading screen tip already says. So in a way, yeah, it will be fixed. Plus you'll get to choose between 3 opponents with a varying "team score", which essentially says how difficult to fight that team is.

I'm about to hit 140, so I don't really know. What team are you running, and do you have it traited? Having someone with stoneskin in front helps immensely, in my experience.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm pretty sure I remember the same effect around that level where the match up banding expanded to include a lot larger level range and a lot of whales and try hards started showing up. It was seemed clear to me something had changed.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If you are having difficulty with PVP, grind out enough treasure maps to buy three of the Naga Queen troop pack this week. The Arcane Swamp stones are needed to get the third trait of Treant: Stoneskin. Treant is an absolute beast of a tank with its third trait unlocked, and really helps with PVP.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Griefor posted:

I'm about the same level as you and have been hitting the same problem. Half my defenses lately have been between level 300 and 450 and I just get stomped when I try to fight them.

Also, I swear it seems like 50% of the teams I invade are fully leveled and traited goblin teams and another 25% are just goblin teams that aren't maxed out yet.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Is there any compendium of weapons earned by leveling up mastery? I rarely use blue mana, and if I'm not missing out on anything, I'm going to focus more on purple and green (All mastery is at 50+ except blue which is at 48).

And celestial traitstones, I have more than 20 of these - what good are they? I really wish there was a way for me to trade these in (1 for 2) and get some damned Arcane Beast stones. There should be a wild-card traitstone that can sub (at its level) any other traitstone.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
They're for the last trait on epics (you need 2) and legendaries (no idea, I think even the second trait needs 1 or 2 of these, and the last trait 6?)

But yeah I agree, feels like celestials are harder to come by than specific arcane stones.
Also I'm really annoyed by any celestial traitstone that I get instead of one of the legendaries I want.

edit: Beast stones are in the current bundle, though, right? 400 glory for 2, I think?

Oenis fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 18, 2016

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

porktree posted:

Is there any compendium of weapons earned by leveling up mastery?

Yes, the official website has a game guide. One of the guides is weapons, which includes information on when they are unlocked.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

gromdul posted:

Yes, the official website has a game guide. One of the guides is weapons, which includes information on when they are unlocked.
Thanks - found it http://gemsofwar.com/game-guide-weapon-list/ - looks like I need to level blue to 50 to get the 'Imperial Jewel' after that there's nothing.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Oenis posted:

What team are you running, and do you have it traited? Having someone with stoneskin in front helps immensely, in my experience.

I'm running:

Banner: +2 Brown Mana
Bone Dragon
Chimera
Sunweaver
Hero with Silver Sword

The Bone Dragon can be highly powerful, but can also commit suicide by proxy by setting up 3 extra turn skull matches without getting a match himself. Especially against strong attack teams. He's pretty swingy and I'd rather put something like Keeper of Souls but I do not have that. Sunweaver boosts Bone Dragon's attack and helps him charge his ability. Chimera I just find a really cool card and is able to make the enemy team slowly die to DoT while Sunweaver keeps the team alive. Bone Dragon and Sunweaver have 1 trait each, and I recently bought the third trait for Chimera with the event's Arcane Beast Stones. I really like that trait, even though it'd work better with a team with cheaper abilities. Finally, the Hero is just there as a big blob of HP to block back attacks and gain brown mana when Bone Dragon is full/dead.

I don't think it's a bad team per se. Are there any teams that do well even against opponents with massively higher stats?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Against teams with massively higher stats, I see three possibilities.

(1) Use those stats against them. Bone Dragon, Blade Dancer, and Shadow Hunter all scale their effects off of enemy stats. The latter two in particular use all enemy armor/life for their spell effects. Blade Dancer can strip armor like a fiend, and then Shadow Hunter can easily one-hit-kill the strongest troop with the armor out of the way. (Blade Dancer is a great troop to place in the first slot, because after its spell fires once or twice it is drastically less effective.)

(2) Devour the enemy and make their stats yours. Great Maw, Kerberos, or Black Manacles. Gob-Chomper if the enemy team is goblins (or orcs, but who actually uses those?).

(3) Prevent the enemy from ever using those huge stats by running a control team that constantly triggers 4- or 5-gem matches. TAVB is, in my opinion, the unparalleled champion in this because of total color coverage, a tank that can boost its attack and gain life like a boss, direct damage to take out annoying targets behind the front troop, the fact that its transformations feed the next troop in line, and the gold/soul boost from Alchemist/Valkyrie.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 19, 2016

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
TAVB also doesn't require any legendary troops. And it can have the Necromancy trait from the Valkyrie, so it makes a nice soul farming team.

The Treant can be exchanged for Green Slime or Giant Spider. Less tank, but more board control.

No PVP event this week? I was looking forward to trying to shoehorn the two new troops into a usable team.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Couple questions.

Mist Stalker now says that poisons the enemy, but after using it in arena it definitely doesn't. Typo or bug?

Also, what's the best challenge to farm for maps with Tyri? I've been doing the first one in Whitehelm since it's mostly just buffs and heals.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I find maps to be a pretty big slog, I'm sitting on something like 70 of them right now, even though I do a couple daily. (TAVB team gets a lot of 7+ matches) Sometimes I'd rather have a slot machine instead, or let the AI play them for me.

And I know the point with Tyri is to drag the challenge levels out by a lot, but I'd probably still do it in a kingdom that drops the arcane traitstones I want.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

Mist Stalker now says that poisons the enemy, but after using it in arena it definitely doesn't. Typo or bug?

Bug. I mentioned it on the official forums and the devs confirmed. It should be fixed in 2.0.

I kind of regret hoarding all these keys for so long. When 1.0.9 came out, the video previews happened a couple of days before release. A week at most. We are now some two weeks after I originally saw the devs talk about publishing the first video preview, and from the sounds of things they have not yet sent the update's code to Apple for verification.

In other news, the second preview video came out a while ago. It's a collection of small(er) quality-of-life improvements rather than a big overhaul like the PVP.

https://youtu.be/M6QSodtxAsc

Edit:
(1) New post-match victory screen that shows everything on one screen rather than four.
(2) Summoners are about to get swole, since summoned troops can now go to level 20 and come in with ALL boosts, as if they had been on the team from the start of the battle.
(3) There will be new troops of mythic base rarity that use three colors. Two of their names are apparently in the game's text files already: War and Pestilence. The current plan may be to insert one a month into chests, rather than have an event where they can be directly purchased.
(4) If you're a high roller, VIP chests got better with doubled rewards at the arcane level. I am not that high up there, so I'll let someone else describe what that means.
(5) Just one new kingdom for now. But I hope you like the Frozen effect. Also a new kind of spell effect that deals damage based on a troop's current mana levels, but doesn't drain it (like an altered version of Moloch's spell).
(6) Player profiles showing info like win streaks and allowing targeted friendly battles against that player.
(7) Red chests in treasure hunt mode no longer drop gold, and vaults no longer drop gold or souls.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 22, 2016

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Grundulum posted:

We are now some two weeks after I originally saw the devs talk about publishing the first video preview, and from the sounds of things they have not yet sent the update's code to Apple for verification.

No no, they did, I remember reading.

http://community.gemsofwar.com/t/countdown-to-2-0/7136

So it won't be on Monday, which is a shame, and with the new PvP system I don't think they'll change it mid-event, so it'll probably be a week from now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Oenis posted:

No no, they did, I remember reading.

http://community.gemsofwar.com/t/countdown-to-2-0/7136

So it won't be on Monday, which is a shame, and with the new PvP system I don't think they'll change it mid-event, so it'll probably be a week from now.

Actually, they might be updating mid-week. They didn't offer a timeline on the changeover, but they did say that people should rush to rank 1 this week if they want to ensure full rewards.

a dev posted:

With the PVP reset comes payouts in Souls for your efforts on the battlefield against other players. Remember, you'll have until the next event to climb as high as you can and earn yourself some souls.
Also! With 2.0 about to arrive, please be aware that this (or a subsequent) PvP event may be shortened in order to accommodate the start of the new 2.0 PvP ladders.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 23, 2016

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Actually, they might be updating mid-week. They didn't offer a timeline on the changeover, but they did say that people should rush to rank 1 this week if they want to ensure full rewards.

Too bad it's still non-committal about which week it is in. Though I suppose that's because the deciding factor is Google/Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The last time they made changes to PVP was in the middle of the week and I'm pretty sure every other patch was too. Who knows when it's actually coming though.