Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

DiggityDoink posted:

You'd think a person who does research on racial issues would know that calling a spade a spade is a lovely metaphor, but here we are, calling a bullshit artist a shitposter.

Maybe he understands the difference between homographs, homonyms and synonyms. What next: trigger warnings on homophones? Is Mountain Dew anti-semitic in your world? Is "homophone" itself required to be excised from the language as a slur on the LGBTQQIAAP community?

Carth Dookie posted:

Man was that $7.95 well spent.

nice puppetmaster defence but it sits ill with your earlier posts on the topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Carth Dookie posted:

Man was that $7.95 well spent.

:laffo:

I care so much about what people might think about my posting, I don't want my name to start by D because lately people have started saying people who's name starts by D are bad posters. Wouldn't want that therefore I paid real monies.

Just :lol:

I can't wait for the next time you laugh at someone who paid :10bux: to join.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Endie posted:

nice puppetmaster defence but it sits ill with your earlier posts on the topic

You forgot the time I changed my name to autism chariot to snipe it out from under another guy.

edit: Its not the first time I've changed my name for a laugh.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 18, 2016

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Endie posted:

Maybe he understands the difference between homographs, homonyms and synonyms. What next: trigger warnings on homophones? Is Mountain Dew anti-semitic in your world? Is "homophone" itself required to be excised from the language as a slur on the LGBTQQIAAP community?

The metaphor "calling a spade a spade" has been racist for a long rear end time now. Spade has been a term for a black person since the 1800s. Sorry you're too loving ignorant to know this. Here's an article to back me up incase you're too stupid to know this to begin with.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Carth Dookie posted:

You forgot the time I changed my name to autism chariot to snipe it out from under another guy.

edit: Its not the first time I've changed my name for a laugh.

But this time you didn't change it for a laugh. You changed it because you didn't want to be associated with the d-name posters.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

DiggityDoink posted:

The metaphor "calling a spade a spade" has been racist for a long rear end time now. Spade has been a term for a black person since the 1800s. Sorry you're too loving ignorant to know this. Here's an article to back me up incase you're too stupid to know this to begin with.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

Now you're reaching and trying to find racism when there is none.

quote:

"To call a spade a spade" entered the English language when Nicholas Udall translated Erasmus in 1542. Famous authors who have used it in their works include Charles Dickens and W. Somerset Maugham, among others.

To be clear, the "spade" in the Erasmus translation has nothing to do with a deck of cards, but rather the gardening tool. In fact, one form of the expression that emerged later was "to call a spade a bloody shovel." The early usages of the word "spade" did not refer to either race or skin color.

Sure some people may have used it in a racist fashion, but that's their problem.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dalael posted:

But this time you didn't change it for a laugh. You changed it because you didn't want to be associated with the d-name posters.

and what an unexpected bonus that continues to be!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

and what an unexpected bonus that continues to be!

I too made a puppetmaster post once.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dalael posted:

Sure some people may have used it in a racist fashion, but that's their problem.

Fuckin tell that to a person who's dealt with systemic racism you terrible poster.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

DiggityDoink posted:

Fuckin tell that to a person who's dealt with systemic racism you terrible poster.

I'm willing to bet that 99% of all people who ever used "Call spade a spade" thought it referred to a deck of card. The intent of a person matters a lot more than the words they use, especially when dealing with an obscure racist notion that no one is even aware of.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

DiggityDoink posted:

Somebody get on the phone to Amazon and tell them about the appalling racism on their store

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spade&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aspade

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Helicon One posted:

Somebody get on the phone to Amazon and tell them about the appalling racism on their store

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spade&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aspade

I'd like to, but I recently learned that 1-800 is also racist because some cultures don't use our numerical system. I wouldn't want to dial a racist phone number.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

DiggityDoink posted:

Leaving aside the fact that a post by a no-name blogger on the NPR website is not what sane people would consider an authoritative source, how can you be so exquisitely dumb as to link an article saying that "spade" has been a racial slur since the late 1920s then show that you just turned it up in google without reading it by moving the stated date forward by a century into the 1800s?

All that is to one side, however: just because some blogger on the NPR site says "oooh, you can't use that just in case someone who has no grasp of language is dumb and thinks you are a racist" doesn't make you right. One can still call figs figs and a kneading-trough a kneading-trough.

Actually wait, I'm sorry, was occasional blogger Lakshmi Ghandi recently appointed Convenor of Hostorical Revisionism in Language?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
You all realize that racism is based on where you're from right? Cause that term is terrible where I am.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

DiggityDoink posted:

You all realize that racism is based on where you're from right? Cause that term is terrible where I am.

I stopped giving a poo poo about fake cries of racism years ago when I politely said hi to a lady as I walked past her, and was called a racist. I wouldn't have cared much if it wasn't for the fact that she went to my boss and made a complaint about my "blatant racism" and the fact that "I was following her around because she was muslim". When my boss went to look on the camera's he could clearly see that I walked past her without even slowing my stride.

So gently caress your fake idea's of racism.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Helicon One posted:

"Amazon" is a racist and sexist term grounded in the aggressively-sexualised and hetero-normative misogyny of a white, European male. Please don't use it on this forum or I'll be forced to ask Videogames to intervene to protect DiggityDoink's safe space.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I'm a white cracker in my urkel cardigan eating mayonnaise on toast and drinking a snapple get rekt.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

FireWhizzle posted:

I'm a white cracker in my urkel cardigan eating mayonnaise on toast and drinking a snapple get rekt.

please dont mention snapple anymore it triggers me tia

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine
Why don't you guys form a LS incursion squad like TEST has? TESTcursions was almost the only thing keeping me logged in when TEST was at it's lowest in the failcascade. It's not completely boring poo poo, and you make some ~iskies 4 ur t00nies~.

poo poo you could even rub up against some of the people fighting you and make space-friends.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

dragonstalking posted:

Why don't you guys form a LS incursion squad like TEST has? TESTcursions was almost the only thing keeping me logged in when TEST was at it's lowest in the failcascade. It's not completely boring poo poo, and you make some ~iskies 4 ur t00nies~.

poo poo you could even rub up against some of the people fighting you and make space-friends.

Agreed, we could set it against the existing incursion squad that's been going for years and have them fight to the death. Winner gets to punch every idiot that still thinks GSF doesn't have squads for literally everything in the drat game already.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Vando posted:

Agreed, we could set it against the existing incursion squad that's been going for years and have them fight to the death. Winner gets to punch every idiot that still thinks GSF doesn't have squads for literally everything in the drat game already.

I chased a ton of LS incursions and the only people I ever saw, other than TEST, were the russians.

If you're talking about HS incursions then :lol: at your poverty-tier isk making.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK a new and good rule for the thread. There is to be no more discussion on racism. Use of racist terms or anything about it. There are racist people in the world and I feel sad for them, but I do not want to let it drag down a thread about space gaming.

If people in the alliance you are in act racist then I would not talk to them or be friends with them. I would consider them to be lost souls who need guidance with their views. However, this should not affect our posting about the game in this thread.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Put that in the OP.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

VideoGames posted:

OK a new and good rule for the thread. There is to be no more discussion on racism. Use of racist terms or anything about it. There are racist people in the world and I feel sad for them, but I do not want to let it drag down a thread about space gaming.

If people in the alliance you are in act racist then I would not talk to them or be friends with them. I would consider them to be lost souls who need guidance with their views. However, this should not affect our posting about the game in this thread.

A good and welcome rule.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am sad for the thread again. I had fun last night at the movies and thought I'd have a lot of great posts to read the next day but good grief.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I am sad for the thread again. I had fun last night at the movies and thought I'd have a lot of great posts to read the next day but good grief.

Don't be sad! Just become more cynical every time this happens. After a certain treshold of cynicism is breached, even this thread will look enjoyable again.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Libluini posted:

Don't be sad! Just become more cynical every time this happens. After a certain treshold of cynicism is breached, even this thread will look enjoyable again.

Don't try to turn his virginal mysticism of the game into bitterness. He's the one think that keeps this thread from turning into one massive hatefuck.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

VideoGames posted:

It's because we haven't had any awesome pictures of Rock and Pebble.

Those pictures soften our shards of flint, and remind us there's more to the game than bile and vitriol.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edit: saw Video Games' post, so I'll shut it. Nothing to see here!

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

VideoGames posted:

VG: Best Mod!

Please put it into the OP.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

VideoGames posted:

We don't deserve you, but drat if I'm not happy you're here.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

dragonstalking posted:

I chased a ton of LS incursions and the only people I ever saw, other than TEST, were the russians.

If you're talking about HS incursions then :lol: at your poverty-tier isk making.

Nah, there's a squad that did null incursions whenever they were available. I kinda miss it cause while I was in there, they were led by the spergiest person alive who'd have a meltdown whenever someone deviated from expected standards by liked 2%. So basically constant and I'm weird for missing it. No idea what the current situation allows for.

Also VG is a gem.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Null incursions really isn't a thing that leaves a lot of room for error. But I think LS incursions aren't being ran because we would get chased down and killed pretty much instantly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DiggityDoink posted:

Don't try to turn his virginal mysticism of the game into bitterness. He's the one think that keeps this thread from turning into one massive hatefuck.

Don't worry, I'm from the Light-Hearted School of Cynicism. You can be full of love and be a cynic!

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Dalael posted:

:laffo:

I care so much about what people might think about my posting, I don't want my name to start by D because lately people have started saying people who's name starts by D are bad posters. Wouldn't want that therefore I paid real monies.

Just :lol:

I can't wait for the next time you laugh at someone who paid :10bux: to join.

Are you really making a big deal over a guy spending a whole :siren: 8 AMERICAN DOLLARS :siren: on a joke?

God damnit I got baited by a D-name poster didn't I :negative:

Also, how the gently caress to I remove myself from that optional jabber broadcast group? I keep getting pings about people streaming while at work and that poo poo needs to stop.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

VideoGames posted:

thank you holy poo poo thank you

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

VideoGames posted:

Recap for the last 15 pages or so is pretty much "people say dumb things in videogames".

Oh- and "PL lost some carriers".

VideoGames posted:

Can you add doxxing to this list, because holy poo poo.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What's a not poo poo iOS Jabber app?

Talkonaut makes me want to claw my eyes out.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Venom Snake posted:

Null incursions really isn't a thing that leaves a lot of room for error. But I think LS incursions aren't being ran because we would get chased down and killed pretty much instantly.

LS incursions, like L5's are pretty safe actually with basic safety measures. I know GOON is scared of LS but you're missing out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Xolve posted:

Can you add doxxing to this list, because holy poo poo.

Please, Video Games? Those two topics are insufferable

• Locked thread