Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I recommend against buying expensive brushes until you know how to make cheap brushes last a while, not getting paint in the ferrule, using brush soap, etc.. I don't use WN7's because I have used them in the past and I still hosed them up. Instead I've landed on some brushes that have such a large belly to them that they are hard to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

I run into problems like this with cheap brushes.

I'm planning on finally spending the money on a W&N series 7. Which size should I go for? I have a 10-0 size brush that's been good to me so I don't need a super fine one, but I don't want some huge one either.
I'm happy with the W&N size 1 and 0 - they are my go-to brushes 90% of the time. The brushes hold a fantastic point, so you can get a much finer stroke than you might get with a cheaper brush. My 1 is for normal painting, and the 0 for when I need to get in a little tighter, like an edge highlight or something. I do still keep a 10/0 around for tiny bits though, so obviously, hang onto yours.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Floppychop posted:

I run into problems like this with cheap brushes.

I'm planning on finally spending the money on a W&N series 7. Which size should I go for? I have a 10-0 size brush that's been good to me so I don't need a super fine one, but I don't want some huge one either.

2, 1, 0. That's really all you need imo. I've done more work using my 1 to highlight than the 0, and much more than the 00, due to the amount of time I get to work before the paint dries.

I started working on one of my ships again and I'm running out of real love for this one despite enjoying painting the lava pattern initially. I tried doing bone with green smoke haze but that seemed too dull so I just redid with straight green. What color should the eyes(nose)/windows be? Yellow? I'll see if I still have enough inspiration to do the rest of the ship but I've gotten bored with it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The green bit looks like a penis with the head drawn on like that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

sassassin posted:

The green bit looks like a penis with the head drawn on like that.

Nice, that actually makes me want to paint it again. Supposed to be more like a komodo skull, but I started drawing a rib area and put it all the way up to its neck.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 16, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd go with a solid yellow color and maybe a black stripe through it. The effect you got is cool, but its a bit busy. Needs some blocky color somewhere to balance it out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

I'd go with a solid yellow color and maybe a black stripe through it. The effect you got is cool, but its a bit busy. Needs some blocky color somewhere to balance it out.
I am slowly building up my immunity until I can make full-on Itasha-style spaceships.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, I like painting, but I admit I can get a bit impatient. Also the one big disadvantage of bones figures is they tend to have white spots appear in gaps after being painted, and it seems to take lots of repainting to get rid of the white spots

I've been painting a lot Bones lately, and I have a lot of luck with Velejo Surface primer.
It comes in a variety of colors, you might want to try grey or black when you're starting out. It's harder to cover with bright colors, but you won't have any white spots showing through if you don't manage to get full coverage.

Just brush it on straight out of the bottle on the whole mini and let it dry, then paint over it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Oh man, Vallejo Surface Primer through an Airbrush has been a revelation for me.

The control I can achieve VS a rattle can means I can get a squad done in one go, not having to spray the front, wait, spray the side, wait, change to the front, wait.

It's great!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

HELP! I've been working on my Ret after finally deciding on a color scheme and just cannot pick a basing scheme.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Snow based would be good with that scheme.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'd say cobblestones. The way those characters are painted doesn't make them look like they're in a freezing climate.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I was considering painting some Retribution stuff in basically the exact same scheme, inspired by how good the black studio paintjob looks on Moros compared to the standard white. Also because painting a primarily white army is super daunting even when compared to trying to properly shade black. With the primary color being black alongside the really standout bright turquoise veins and gems I was planning on doing a cracked earth and rubble base with a really stark and bright orange color scheme to play off of that eye-catching blue and brighten up the whole thing. Also fits thematically with Ret since they accidentally nuked their homeland and stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yeast posted:

Oh man, Vallejo Surface Primer through an Airbrush has been a revelation for me.

The control I can achieve VS a rattle can means I can get a squad done in one go, not having to spray the front, wait, spray the side, wait, change to the front, wait.

It's great!

Why were you waiting between angles?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I've been playing about with some editing to get my photos to look closer to the real thing. How does this mini look to you guys? Anything wrong with the image quality on anyone elses monitor?

Edit: I am beginning to regret leaving this guys with a gloss finish. Looks great in your hand, does not photo well.

Double edit: Just scene these pics on a different monitor and it looks like Im doing photography on the SURFACE OF THE SUN. Oh dear, I knew it might look different across screens but not THAT different.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 17, 2016

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Too much glare, try diffusing the light a bit more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, too much glare.

Is vallejo white brush-on primer good? I've only ever used the black one.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its fine, but shake the poo poo out of it first

I prefer the grey but they are very similar

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I use white, it's great. But yeah you gotta shake it well.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

I've been playing about with some editing to get my photos to look closer to the real thing. How does this mini look to you guys? Anything wrong with the image quality on anyone elses monitor?

Edit: I am beginning to regret leaving this guys with a gloss finish. Looks great in your hand, does not photo well.

You could try a mix with satin varnish over the gloss, that should leave you with a nice semi-gloss finish. Or just use a straight satin varnish. I've been experimenting lately with mixing Liquitex matte and satin varnishes in different proportions when I'm going for a flatter finish; maybe try 2:1 satin to gloss?
Also, what are you using for a light box? You might want to toss a filter over your lamps to diffuse the light a bit and cut down on the glare from bare bulbs. (Unless you're already doing that. Also, I haven't been doing that and I get glare for days in my pics. I guess I'm saying I may not be a good source of advice.)

e: fixed typo ("Liquitex" not "liquored," wish I was the latter)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bucnasti posted:

I use white, it's great. But yeah you gotta shake it well.

Skarsnik posted:

Its fine, but shake the poo poo out of it first

I prefer the grey but they are very similar

Sweet. I'm going to paint this on a spaceship. RIP my eyes

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hahaha, I rode on one of those from Dumaguete to Bahura. Not quite as colorful as that one, but mostly because of the rust. It was janky as gently caress, but it got us where we were going.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So for my birthday I got a set of W&N Series 7 round brushes, and a tub of the Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver. These brushes are night and day compared to my old cheap rear end brushes, and this brush soap is amazing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does anyone have recommendations for making bricks for basing? I'm thinking both of making some wall segments, but I'll also need damaged and broken bricks. Warmachine scale.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Buy an artist's pastel and break off a few pieces? They're like a dollar each and they break up in a similar way to how a brick would.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
You could buy the stuff to make bricks or just buy a bag of bricks. Secret Weapon has various types in various scales (commonly 1:35 or 1:48) here and here.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Karnegal posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for making bricks for basing? I'm thinking both of making some wall segments, but I'll also need damaged and broken bricks. Warmachine scale.

http://pin.it/HxBwNFk

Alternatively you could buy the juwela 1:35 bricks from secret weapon.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Hirst Arts here.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
luckymodel.com sells silicone molds for pavers at 6 bucks each. Hell if you're ok with a hex or square pattern you can just buy a silicone trivet/potholder off amazon with a grid molded into it.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 18, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone have a guide to brush care? My brushes last for a very short time, which makes me reluctant to buy good ones.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Karnegal posted:

I'm intending to do something similar for terrain. While poking around at a distant hobby store, I picked up a box of this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tam...S589&gws_rd=ssl

I intend to go to the nearby model train store and buy some plastic extrusions of a similar size for lose bricks whenever I get inspired to actually do it.

Edit:

Also, if you're just looking for like a brick road type thing, I have definitely seen vacuum formed sheets, which could be cut to size.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 18, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Does anyone have a guide to brush care? My brushes last for a very short time, which makes me reluctant to buy good ones.

The OP has you covered. Just go to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post442594505 and scroll up to get right to it.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've been painting up some of my first 28mm models in 12 or so years and I love the Forgeworld MKIII armour so decided to do some Imperial Fists.

I've been posting in the scale models thread but here's a bit of a painting log to where I am now.

Assembled and primed.

Preshaded with wash

Washed and glazed with yellow

Starting the other colours and the weapon hands.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Geisladisk posted:

Rinse out your brush regularly so paint doesn't get a chance to dry and ruin it.

Not just between different colours, but every few minutes.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Also with regards to brushes I would say unless you're just starting out then don't hesitate to pull the trigger on a couple of nicer brushes. My routine for the few years I've been painting stuff was to just chew through one of those value packs of five or six synthetic watercolor brushes every couple months, because without fail they would all very quickly fray or develop those annoying little hooked tips in spite of very average benign use and regular cleaning with brush soap. Back around Christmas I bought three of the ~$15 W&N individual brushes on a whim and it's like night and day compared to the cheapo packs. Exact same cleaning methods have kept those things in near perfect condition.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 18, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Cheap brushes also don't last as long due to their cheap construction. Even if you maintain them, they won't last as long as a good brush.

Look at it this way - if you buy that Coby MP3 player on Black Friday for $15, no matter how well you take care of it, you expect it to fail soon because, intrinsically, it's just not well made. Spend a few extra bucks and you'll get something that you won't have to keep replacing.

I don't get the reluctance to spend $10-$15 on a brush - most of us routinely spend $15 and up on a single model, $3-$4 on a bottle of paint, etc. A better brush will not only last longer, it will help make painting less of a frustrating experience!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't get the reluctance to spend $10-$15 on a brush - most of us routinely spend $15 and up on a single model, $3-$4 on a bottle of paint, etc. A better brush will not only last longer, it will help make painting less of a frustrating experience!
:agreed: you'll actually get to use that brush often instead of having it sit in your painting queue for years.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
lol if you don't have a queue of brushes waiting to be used.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

sassassin posted:

lol if you don't have a queue of brushes waiting to be used.
:agreed:
I have a couple extra WN 0s and 1s and I rotate through them equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think it's because you can gently caress up a brush easily, loving up a model or a pot of paint beyond the point of salvation is much harder to do. People don't trust themselves to not gently caress up the brush.