Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

laserghost posted:

There was another Quake "The Movie" (actually, a pimped out machinima), with mix of Quake 2 and 3 storylines. Anyone remembers that? Something about Q3 charas (Sarge, Crash etc) working in some prison facility containing Stroggs , the poo poo goes down and they're trying to escape? It was amazing and hilarious at the same time, I remember reading about it in the mag like it was a huge, official deal.

holy poo poo I finally remembered the full title, Escape from the Bastille, and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJn4TzBGb2I
(don't try to use the HD setting, it's blurry poo poo anyways)

Sweet! Def gonna watch this later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

I assume my Phenom II 965 eould get face-stomped by Doom 4?
I'm using an OC'd i7-930 with a reference GTX970, and getting anywhere from 30 to 80 FPS at 2560x1440, with the average being around the upper 50s or so.

I think your CPU is technically better than mine (I mean, my CPU was top of the line in 2010, so of course better ones exist now) - so, as long as your graphics card is up to snuff, you should be fine. (Though if your graphics card is AMD... well, I've gathered AMD cards and OpenGL don't get along, and it kinda shows in Doom, an OpenGL-using product.)

I'm not 100% sure if my settings are Medium or High. I don't believe too many settings are set to Ultra, though I didn't notice too much performance impact if I switch some settings to that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I ran Doom 4 amazingly well for the most part on a Phenom II 910, which sounds lower than a 965 :v: (though I can't be certain because the naming conventions for this sort of poo poo are incredibly dumb sometimes). I was also using a GTX 970, for reference. Just about the only performance hiccups I had were in the biggest vistas of the Hell levels, which I think I read somewhere are the parts that tax the CPU more as opposed to the GPU. And mind you, when I say "hiccups," I mean "ok, I can perceive a bit of slowdown, but I can still fight fine and sweet Jesus it's still infinitely better than I expected my 6 year old CPU to be running this game looking this nice."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

Come to think of it, you should read this page: http://www.classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm
It goes in depth on how all the ports of Doom and Doom II etc vary compared to the original PC Doom.

quote:

2. COMPUTER-BASED DOOM/DOOM II GAMES

Unlike some console/handheld versions, a player can
only cycle between fist and chain saw while a Berserk power-up is in effect.

lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm using an OC'd i7-930 with a reference GTX970, and getting anywhere from 30 to 80 FPS at 2560x1440, with the average being around the upper 50s or so.

I think your CPU is technically better than mine (I mean, my CPU was top of the line in 2010, so of course better ones exist now) - so, as long as your graphics card is up to snuff, you should be fine. (Though if your graphics card is AMD... well, I've gathered AMD cards and OpenGL don't get along, and it kinda shows in Doom, an OpenGL-using product.)

I'm not 100% sure if my settings are Medium or High. I don't believe too many settings are set to Ultra, though I didn't notice too much performance impact if I switch some settings to that.

His Phenom II 965 was mid-high end AMD for 2009, your top end Intel chip from 2010 is significantly better.

Yeah it was a poor decision by iD. Nearly every source port fixes it so you can switch between them by pressing 1 multiple times of course.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

fishmech posted:

Yeah it was a poor decision by iD. Nearly every source port fixes it so you can switch between them by pressing 1 multiple times of course.

Even then, it seems that most of them default to the chainsaw even when you've picked up a berserker pack already in the level, which is dumb as I'd rather have the berserk fist 99% of the time.

e: To be clear, what I mean is that you're holding some other gun and you press 1 and the chainsaw is what comes up the first time, not that you can't switch between them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

My card is a GTX 970, I am not worried about that, but my CPU is was old three years ago and AMD is slower than Intel.

I am waiting for Zen to upgrade my CPU, if Zen is not withon shouting distance of Intel I will get an i5.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Woolie Wool posted:

My card is a GTX 970, I am not worried about that, but my CPU is was old three years ago and AMD is slower than Intel.

I am waiting for Zen to upgrade my CPU, if Zen is not withon shouting distance of Intel I will get an i5.

But cheaper.

You got suckered in to the same price:performance tradeoff that I did, I had a Phenom II 555 (dual-core 3.2GHz)

I bought a cheap 1100T (hexa-core 3.3GHz, baby!) on Ebay and upgraded it, and went from 4GB to 16GB RAM at the same time, because RAM was stupid cheap for a while.

It's still not really that fast, but it's a very capable space heater. And I'm sure my 460GTX is the real bottleneck, anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

JerryLee posted:

Even then, it seems that most of them default to the chainsaw even when you've picked up a berserker pack already in the level, which is dumb as I'd rather have the berserk fist 99% of the time.

On the one hand, this is a completely valid complaint. On the other hand, the chainsaw makes the most delightful sound whenever you switch to your fists.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

Would anyone mind spoiling which level in rf 1024 takes you to map 33? I'm terrible at finding secrets in this wad. :(

Not sure if you've got an answer for this yet but:

Map 27: to the right of the normal exit switch is a tiny slit in the wall hiding a switch that lowers the staircase to the secret exit

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

fishmech posted:

Come to think of it, you should read this page: http://www.classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm
It goes in depth on how all the ports of Doom and Doom II etc vary compared to the original PC Doom.

They also have pages for all the maps of the official Doom ports eg this for the PSX games http://www.classicdoom.com/psxmaps.htm to compare against the original PC version: http://www.classicdoom.com/doommaps.htm

For instance:

Original Doom E1M1

PSX E1M1

SNES E1M1

You'll notice how the PSX version (which is nearly identical to the Jaguar/Saturn/GBA version) is rather simplified, while the SNES version ends up being much closer to the original PC layout.
It's kind of funny how we had nearly a decade of Doom console ports all based off the Jaguar version, except for the SNES port, which was somewhat more faithful.

Also it looks like there are a whole bunch of console-exclusive Doom and Doom 2 maps, I assume they've been recreated at some point on PC?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Heavy Metal posted:

Also, should I watch Ghosts of Mars? I like John Carpenter's Vampires and I also like Ice Cube. What's better that or the Doom movie with The Rock?

I've been saying for a long, long time that Ghosts of Mars is a much better Doom movie than the Doom movie.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I've got:
AMD Phenom II x6 - OC'ed to 4.0 ghz
AMD 7980
8 gb ram

And I pull 10 fps in doom. I know my computer its aging, but that does not seem right, especially with everyone boasting about how optimized it is. I can load skyrim down with tons of high res textures, and I run rocket league at a solid 100+ FPS.

EDIT: I'm also not very excited by the lack of music, and the sound in general is pretty weak.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 18, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm remembering correctly that Demonsteele has a custom MIDI thing in it, right?

Is it possible to make it play nothing but the Mortal Kombat theme for an entire WAD?

eSporks posted:

I've got:
AMD 7980
8 gb ram

And I pull 10 fps in doom. I know my computer its aging, but that does not seem right, especially with everyone boasting about how optimized it is. I can load skyrim down with tons of high res textures, and I run rocket league at a solid 100+ FPS.

EDIT: I'm also not very excited by the lack of music, and the sound in general is pretty weak.

I think the problem is you're on ATI. If I remember correctly, iD Tech 5 really does not play nice with ATI cards. That said, maybe check in the settings and see if there's anything weird like PhysX that you can turn off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

eSporks posted:

I've got:
AMD 7980
8 gb ram

Have you updated to the absolute latest drivers for your GPU? ATI cards seemed to perform really poorly in DOOM until a patch was pushed out in the last day or two that dramatically increased their performance. Something about OpenGL. Like, I saw benchmarks of cards doubling their framerate (or even more).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Latest drivers, all settings floored, yada yada. Maybe it is an ATI thing, thats dumb. Hopefully I get my refund.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's kind of funny how we had nearly a decade of Doom console ports all based off the Jaguar version, except for the SNES port, which was somewhat more faithful.

Also it looks like there are a whole bunch of console-exclusive Doom and Doom 2 maps, I assume they've been recreated at some point on PC?

I mean, the Jaguar/32X port were done by ID themselves, and were done really early. Williams/Midway just wanted to be lazy when they made PSX/Saturn Doom. You can actually see the point where they stopped developing with the 32X in mind in Episode 3 of the later ports, since the levels get denser and bigger (and map 20 of the later ones don't fit into the 32x ram.)

Also the SNES port is more faithful, but it also runs, plays, and looks like poo poo because even with the SuperFX it can't keep up.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 18, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

Also the SNES port is more faithful, but it also runs, plays, and looks like poo poo because even with the SuperFX it can't keep up.

Hell, it doesn't even run on the Doom engine! http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Super_NES

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm remembering correctly that Demonsteele has a custom MIDI thing in it, right?

Is it possible to make it play nothing but the Mortal Kombat theme for an entire WAD?

why the gently caress have i not included this yet

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mak0rz posted:

Not sure if you've got an answer for this yet but:

Map 27: to the right of the normal exit switch is a tiny slit in the wall hiding a switch that lowers the staircase to the secret exit

I just ended up using the console to warp there, but thanks. It's good to know if I ever replay the wad.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Its separate of Demonsteele, so you can play other modifiers with it too! ;)

TerminusEst13 posted:

why the gently caress have i not included this yet

Good question. :colbert:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man Quake 2: The Reckoning has one of the worst openings I've seen in a while.

You start in a piss-yellow swamp, then progress to a dark brown sewer level and then back to the swamp. Urgh...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zaphod42 posted:

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars is pretty much a doom 3 movie, its pretty drat good. Also feels kinda like resident evil or something.
The doom movie is horrible and the only reason to watch it is to make fun of it MST3K style. Its schlock all the way through.

BUT, butbutbut, would you consider something else?
Heavy Metal, have you watched the greatest machinima film of all time, known as The Seal of Nehahra?
If not; that is 100% what you should watch.

It is Quake: The Movie, and it actually fills in the quake plot of the original single player (which was fairly minimal) in good ways that make the game seem deeper, without really contradicting anything.

Here's it on youtube but the quality is poo poo, so you should really download it and render it locally in the quake engine instead if you can.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UaiDBJMhjM

Proper version: http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehahra/downloads/seal-of-nehahra

Every one of you FPS goons in this thread who hasn't watched this movie, drop what you're doing and watch it right the gently caress now.

it's 4 loving hours long.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

eSporks posted:

Latest drivers, all settings floored, yada yada. Maybe it is an ATI thing, thats dumb. Hopefully I get my refund.

nah, not an ati thing, i think your card needs updating. it runs constant 60 on my 390 on ultra and i have the same kinda setup for the other stuff, 8gb ram, only a x4 phenom II not oc'ed.

you're right about the sound though, something is wonky with that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, the Jaguar/32X port were done by ID themselves, and were done really early. Williams/Midway just wanted to be lazy when they made PSX/Saturn Doom. You can actually see the point where they stopped developing with the 32X in mind in Episode 3 of the later ports, since the levels get denser and bigger (and map 20 of the later ones don't fit into the 32x ram.)

Mak0rz posted:

Hell, it doesn't even run on the Doom engine! http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Super_NES
Interestingly, the maps used in the Super Nintendo port are derived from the PC version as opposed to the Atari Jaguar version, as every other port until the Xbox version used. This means that they are actually more intricate and detailed than their counterparts on the more powerful consoles, though they are still re-textured to a degree as a result of reduction in the pool of available textures. The cyberdemon and spiderdemon monsters that the Atari Jaguar, Sega 32X, and 3DO versions lack are also present.

I mean, that's still impressive, especially for the SNES.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Huh, the Casali brothers (Final Doom, Half-Life etc) are the sons of the creator of the Love Is... comic.

Weird bit of trivia.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

If happiness is a warm gun, then what love is?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cardboard Box A posted:

Interestingly, the maps used in the Super Nintendo port are derived from the PC version as opposed to the Atari Jaguar version, as every other port until the Xbox version used. This means that they are actually more intricate and detailed than their counterparts on the more powerful consoles, though they are still re-textured to a degree as a result of reduction in the pool of available textures. The cyberdemon and spiderdemon monsters that the Atari Jaguar, Sega 32X, and 3DO versions lack are also present.

I mean, that's still impressive, especially for the SNES.

Well, that IS all impressive for it being a SNES game, but goddamn, were a lot of corners (understandably) cut. No floor and ceiling textures? No transparent textures (gratings)? All monsters always face front? Wow.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Huh, the Casali brothers (Final Doom, Half-Life etc) are the sons of the creator of the Love Is... comic.

Weird bit of trivia.

eldest brother i think. edit: eh nevermind, you're right, im dumb.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Weird bit of trivia.

And Milo Casali was a "miracle baby" talked about in the press as he was one of the first kid to be conceived by artificial insemination after his dad's death.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, that IS all impressive for it being a SNES game, but goddamn, were a lot of corners (understandably) cut. No floor and ceiling textures? No transparent textures (gratings)? All monsters always face front? Wow.

Even when I was a kid, we were aware that getting some version of Doom to run on an SNES was amazing, but it was also very obvious that this was not the same (better) Doom that was running on the computer in our office. Impressive, but it was kind of like, "why wouldn't I just play Doom in the office, and leave the SNES for Super Ghouls and Ghosts?"

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 18, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uth6r38SGiY&t=16s

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Specifically, it's impressive the SNES had all that stuff that the more powerful console ports did not, even given all the other stuff the SNES cut.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vikar Jerome posted:

it's 4 loving hours long.

4 hours of hilarious, amazing quake goodness :allears:

You don't have to watch it all in one sitting. The in-game version has episodes you can skip to, and youtube video you can just save it to your "watch later"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

4 hours of hilarious, amazing quake goodness :allears:

You don't have to watch it all in one sitting. The in-game version has episodes you can skip to, and youtube video you can just save it to your "watch later"

Dude, this is awful. Anyone that could watch four hours of this, in one sitting or not, is insane.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

4 hours of ugly shivering quake models awkwardly standing around voiced by some pimply 14-year olds talking into a fan

Oh boy I can't wait yeah I better drop whatever I'm doing and glue my rear end to the screen

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o7ctcbGq3e1s8ba22_480.mp4

It's funny how despite having zero voiced lines Doom4guy manages to have some nice characterisation, like the subtle pan down to the random worker's corpse in the elevator, or the way he carefully examines the argent energy conductors to figure out how to best break them.

BJ's shellshocked deathwish monologues from TNO were also great, so I'm glad Bethesda is funding these.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 18, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That mod is pretty good except those runes which tend to glitch you in the wall or the ceiling.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Man Quake 2: The Reckoning has one of the worst openings I've seen in a while.

You start in a piss-yellow swamp, then progress to a dark brown sewer level and then back to the swamp. Urgh...

The end is worse. So much worse. Gladiators with 1700 hitpoints!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
God, the 32X Doom soundtrack is awful.

Cardboard Box A posted:

The PSX versions of the maps are available in fully accurate form in the PSX Doom Total Conversion for GZDoom. The Saturn version is pretty much identical so you would just use that for the Saturn Doom as well.

There is also a Jaguar Doom conversion in two formats: one faithfully copies the original maps, the other version makes fixes to the maps (because as implemented on the Jaguar and in most Jag-map using ports, there were secret sectors absolutely impossible to reach, monsters stuck in the walls or outside the walls so you can't kill them, etc. Basically meaning you could never get all 100% on the end of level screen in those levels)

There is the GBA Doom maps including the GBA Doom special deathmatch levels which are unique to the game in this: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35058 But it still doesn't fully emulate the GBA Doom stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Lemon-Lime posted:

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o7ctcbGq3e1s8ba22_480.mp4

It's funny how despite having zero voiced lines Doom4guy manages to have some nice characterisation, like the subtle pan down to the random worker's corpse in the elevator, or the way he carefully examines the argent energy conductors to figure out how to best break them.

BJ's shellshocked deathwish monologues from TNO were also great, so I'm glad Bethesda is funding these.

I love how angry Doom 4 guy is. Laughed out loud several times from his arbitrary smashing of communications and scientific equipment.