Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

So of the currently cancelled series (Howling Commandos, Illuminati, Angela Queen of Hel, Hercules, Red Wolf, and Weirdworld), what's worth reading? Did any of them actually end their stories? Any gems hidden amongst them that got cancelled or do they all suck?

Weirdworld has amazing art, I mentioned I liked Illuminati (although its ending is a lot weaker than it begins), I loved every Angela book so if you like Asgard's Assassin and 1602 Witchhunter, Queen of Hel is good too (but it is the weakest of the Angela books imho).

I read Hercules and Red Wolf and neither really had anything redeeming to them. Hercules wasn't awful just kinda... there. Nothing remarkable about it to me. Red Wolf felt like a really weird book that sidelines its own protagonist hard and makes him incapable of doing anything on his own. Its pacing is slow, in a world where time travel is so normal the X-Men do it as a single plot arc it's frustrating to read a story where a dude travels through time and nobody can figure out what's up with him, and it just feels like a pretty standard Western story with a supporting cast that's equally unremarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

So of the currently cancelled series (Howling Commandos, Illuminati, Angela Queen of Hel, Hercules, Red Wolf, and Weirdworld), what's worth reading? Did any of them actually end their stories? Any gems hidden amongst them that got cancelled or do they all suck?

I bailed on boring Hercules and modern era Red Wolf after one issue. Illuminati was a poor man's Thunderbolts that started okay and didn't do much else. I wouldn't recommend any of them.

The Edge
Oct 22, 2005
Weirdworld had fantastic art and a unique set of characters. Sad to see it go.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Mike deal Mundo is so phenomenally talented but he keeps getting put on projects that are doomed to fail from the start--Elektra solo series, winter solider man on the wall solo series, now a Weirdworld ongoing. I get that his aesthetic and panel layouts are probably too out there for an avengers title or whatever, but I wish he'd get a project Marvel is at least pretending to have some confidence in.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Literally the only thing Red Wolf had going for it was its cover art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Red Wolf was fine as far as stories go, and the art inside was great.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

X-O posted:

Red Wolf was fine as far as stories go, and the art inside was great.

Yeah, it looked good. It just didn't go anywhere. Cool premise, coming out of an awesome miniseries that was wasted on bringing Red Wolf to 616 so he could...chase down meth cooks and beat up hicks?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, it looked good. It just didn't go anywhere. Cool premise, coming out of an awesome miniseries that was wasted on bringing Red Wolf to 616 so he could...chase down meth cooks and beat up hicks?

Well, someone has to, and you can be diddly ding-dong sure it won't be the Avengers!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Four Score posted:

Well, someone has to, and you can be diddly ding-dong sure it won't be the Avengers!

Or the other Avengers, or the X-Avengers, or the space Avengers, or

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

JoshTheStampede posted:

Or the other Avengers, or the X-Avengers, or the space Avengers, or

To be fair, the Avengers don't do much about meth cooks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wierdworld got cancelled? God dammit. :smith:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I would have loved if as soon as Red Wolf started talking about seeing a bright light before waking up in town and being confused at styrofoam coffee cups, everyone in town just went "Ohh, you're a time traveler, that makes so much sense! What year y'all from? We'll get you the appropriate brochure to get you ready for 2016." Just in-universe recognize time travel is such a common experience that even the residents of this random bumblefuck town can diagnose the signs of it and have brochures for it. It's not even that the scenes of Red Wolf being confused by modern stuff/modern people being confused by Red Wolf were that frequent, but just any time spent on scenes like that are frustrating to read when we know what happened to him and we know what happened to him is fairly mundane in the world of Marvel but nobody puts 2 and 2 together.

Those covers were amazing though. I wonder if Marvel's going to try to get Red Wolf onto some other book since he's one of the first characters we saw in the ANAD promo images, but I honestly can't think of a team that would have a spot for him outside of the Avengers books because all of the Avengers books are about "people who wouldn't normally work together, teaming up"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think he'd fit on the Captain America: Steve Rogers book. Like he gets picked up by SHIELD and they aren't sure what to do with him, so they call Cap and he since knew Steve Rogers from his time goes off and sidekicks with him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Or him and Old Man Logan tearing poo poo up together. One from an alternate past, one from an alternate future.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Or him and Old Man Logan tearing poo poo up together. One from an alternate past, one from an alternate future.

Actually an X-men team-up book that introduced a character from when Apocalypse was running things in Ancient Egypt and someone like Cable could be a cool book. One character fighting to prevent a future from happening and another fighting to prevent the past from repeating. Same goal from the opposite angles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Alright, you go kill him when he's a baby and I'll murder him when he's an old man!"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SynthOrange posted:

Wierdworld got cancelled? God dammit. :smith:

I hope they wrap it up so she gets home but odds on her somehow becoming new queen of Weirdworld?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hercules actively insulted readers for enjoying the Pak's Incredible Hercule, so if you enjoyed that, this is probably not for you.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Red Wolf would be great if Timothy Truman was on it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endless Mike posted:

Hercules actively insulted readers for enjoying the Pak's Incredible Hercule, so if you enjoyed that, this is probably not for you.

Isn't All-New, All-Serious Hercules hemorrhaging readers? Seems like a bit of sour grapes, if you ask me.

Also didn't Pak's run have Herc save the universe during the Chaos War? It's not like he didn't step up to save the day when it called for it.

Ferrule posted:

Red Wolf would be great if Timothy Truman was on it.

Isn't that the book with that really conservative guy who wrapped up his Punisher run by having him fight ISIS?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't that the book with that really conservative guy who wrapped up his Punisher run by having him fight ISIS?

Among other things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't All-New, All-Serious Hercules hemorrhaging readers?
Yes, that's why it was canceled.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I only read the first couple of issues but what did Abnett's Hercules run to do ""actively insult" fans of the Pak/Van Lente version of Hercules? I know it's a pretty big deviation in tone/contents, but so are all of the Avengers books right now post-Hickman and I wouldn't consider those "actively insulting" the Hickman fans.

Also yeah, Hercules is selling pretty terribly. But so was Pak/Van Lente's Hercules by the time it wrapped up, which is probably why they were looking to go another way with the character. It's also selling better than Weirdworld. I'm never quite sure where "this book's sales are low because people are taking a powerful stand against a lovely comic" and "this book's sales are low because the lovely comic industry won't appreciate its greatness" but it's all relative, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, "actively insulting" was the wrong term, but it was pretty heavily distancing itself from prior versions of the character, and even ignoring that, the two issues I read just weren't very good.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Yeah, in the first couple of issues it had stuff like this:

While it could just be trying to set the tone and premise of the book, it does come off as an indictment of the funny and goofy Incredible Hercules run that came before it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You also gotta remember that there was a 6 month+ gap with it and the previously Herc stuff. Tonally, yeah it was pretty different than the previous Herc series but it's hardly the first book to try to tell a different story with the character. I liked a lot of the stuff they had in the Herc series although it didn't land it or it wasn't written quite as well as it could have been/neededto be in order to sell the story.

A lot of the recent relaunch of books dealt with social issues. Black Knight was kind of dealing with addiction as an ongoing struggle, while Herc dealt with it as a legacy issue. So while yeah, he might have saved the world/universe during the Chaos War, people(in 616) tend to think of him negatively still for his indulgences outside his heroics.

It was a cool premise, and I've mentioned before a comic that incorporates elements of American Gods has some legs, but yeah it didn't ever feel like it worked and it should have been scripted a bit tighter knowing it was probably only going to be 6 issues unless it became a critical darling like Vision.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
And as someone who's only vaguely aware of Pak's Herc, it feels weird that a Marvel title is trying to step away from any fun/humorous bent when Deadpool, Rocket Raccoon, Ms Marvel, Howard the Duck, and Squirrel Girl are all titles that are selling fine and strongly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think the tone is necessarily the problem so much as that Dan Abnett is just not that great anymore since he stopped teaming with Lanning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And as someone who's only vaguely aware of Pak's Herc, it feels weird that a Marvel title is trying to step away from any fun/humorous bent when Deadpool, Rocket Raccoon, Ms Marvel, Howard the Duck, and Squirrel Girl are all titles that are selling fine and strongly.
I don't think it was an editorial edict or anything, just what Abnett pitched and they decided to go with it. It's not like humorous Hercules sold particularly well, either, so I'm sure they felt it was worth a shot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A pretty good fan-made (?) video of what happens when Wolverine has.. claw issues? Bonus X-23 action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNuTQM6gYE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Binary Badger posted:

A pretty good fan-made (?) video of what happens when Wolverine has.. claw issues? Bonus X-23 action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNuTQM6gYE

That was the opposite of good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I stand corrected, it's mediocre, but then again so is the material it's lampooning.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The last issue of a Pak/Van Lente Herc book (Herc #10) actually came out in November 2011 so it's been almost five years since that iteration wrapped up. That particular series was selling around 13,000 copies by the end of its short run. The new version is selling even worse (or getting down to 13,000 even faster) but they probably felt the need to try something new instead of trying to bring back a take that hasn't been seen for five years and didn't sell well five years ago.

The other thing is that without digital sales (and the assumption that because people like to post funny panels on the internet, lots of people are buying the comics on the internet) a lot of these funny books don't actually sell very well.

code:
82	Rocket Raccoon and Groot	4	$3.99	Marvel	24,179
83	Astonishing Ant-Man		7	$3.99	Marvel	24,173
107	Howard The Duck			6	$3.99	Marvel	19,459
119	Unbeatable Squirrel Girl	7	$3.99	Marvel	17,869
144	Angela Queen of Hel		7	$3.99	Marvel	14,091
149	Drax				6	$3.99	Marvel	13,606
153	X-Men Worst X-Man Ever		3	$3.99	Marvel	13,436
162	Patsy Walker Aka Hellcat	5	$3.99	Marvel	12,703
168	Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur	6	$3.99	Marvel	12,253
180	Weirdworld			5	$3.99	Marvel	10,730

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw, man. Howard and Patsy deserve way better.

:(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Squirrel Girl OGN and YA novel that Marvel are pushing forward with would certainly imply that book does significant numbers digitally or in trade. I doubt they'd put resources into that kind of thing if the title was a lame duck.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ryan North has a huge fanbase, and I'd guess that a lot of that fanbase are way more likely to buy a comic on the internet than at a store.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah the only one on that list I'm Actually Worried About is Patsy. I mean, that I read anyways.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, my wife reads Patsy and USG and pulls them physically specifically because she wants to support those books and she knows the industry is hosed up, and also because we happen to have an amazing LCS we want to support. If that weren't the case she'd happily read them digitally instead and I think she's not unusual in that regard. I prefer digital at this point.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

The last issue of a Pak/Van Lente Herc book (Herc #10) actually came out in November 2011 so it's been almost five years since that iteration wrapped up. That particular series was selling around 13,000 copies by the end of its short run. The new version is selling even worse (or getting down to 13,000 even faster) but they probably felt the need to try something new instead of trying to bring back a take that hasn't been seen for five years and didn't sell well five years ago.

The other thing is that without digital sales (and the assumption that because people like to post funny panels on the internet, lots of people are buying the comics on the internet) a lot of these funny books don't actually sell very well.

code:
82	Rocket Raccoon and Groot	4	$3.99	Marvel	24,179
83	Astonishing Ant-Man		7	$3.99	Marvel	24,173
107	Howard The Duck			6	$3.99	Marvel	19,459
119	Unbeatable Squirrel Girl	7	$3.99	Marvel	17,869
144	Angela Queen of Hel		7	$3.99	Marvel	14,091
149	Drax				6	$3.99	Marvel	13,606
153	X-Men Worst X-Man Ever		3	$3.99	Marvel	13,436
162	Patsy Walker Aka Hellcat	5	$3.99	Marvel	12,703
168	Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur	6	$3.99	Marvel	12,253
180	Weirdworld			5	$3.99	Marvel	10,730

Those numbers for Moon Girl and Weirdworld are extremely depressing.
This is going to be New Warriors 2014 all over again for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Those numbers for Moon Girl and Weirdworld are extremely depressing.
This is going to be New Warriors 2014 all over again for me.

Look at it this way. At least it's unlikely all of Weirdworld will be maybe-killed offscreen by Dan Slott.

• Locked thread