Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The plot of the original Drakengard is still probably one of the most hosed up I've seen in a game and I wish the actual game was better. I mean your party consists of a pedophile priest, an insane cannibal elf that only eats children and a person that is stuck as a child forever. It's funny that your main character is the most normal one considering he's a psychotic murderer whose sister is in love with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a shame Drakengard 2 was a wet fart and 3 was, uh, different. At least Nier 2 has a good chance of actually having decent gameplay.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is Drakengard the game that had an ending where a giant baby takes over the world

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MinibarMatchman posted:

is Drakengard the game that had an ending where a giant baby takes over the world

yeah it's the game that had an ending where stux takes over the world

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MinibarMatchman posted:

Sort of, one of the effects of the goddess of destruction things being born was a bunch of giant demon baby enemies.

They were a loving pain to fight too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked Drakengard 3 despite still not being in the same realm of crazy (and, y'know, it objectively not being a very good game) Still the Grindhouse elements were fun and made it more jarring when the game starts going full Cavia. It helps that I actually liked the main character and the dragon a lot.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The last boss in Drakenguard 3 may be painful to do but has some amazing music.

I liked Drakenguard 3, it didn't go as crazy as the first but just did it's own thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the D3 boss is loving awful but it still is better than the D1 one if only because the song is actually really great.

Man, when I played through D3 it was with a friend watching and we were so close to beating it but it was like 2am so we figured we'd just beat it the next time we met up. It's a good thing we delayed it because beating it ended up taking like 3 hours (which from what I've read is considered a relatively fast time)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

deadly_pudding posted:

I guess my issue is that the usual internet troglodytes are coming out of the woodwork to freak out (sight unseen because it hasn't aired yet) because something won't be identical to how it was 40 years ago. I think that it should be no surprise that the mainstream is trying to make a more modern Rocky, given the way gender politics is currently exploding. Cox is the only new cast member I'm familiar with, but I think she's a good choice. She's probably the most well-known trans woman who is also an actor, and her presence is a good way for the production to come out the gate and say, "Yes, we are acknowledging that this is a cultural touchstone about the blur between gender lines and sexual orientations."

Well maybe, just maybe, instead writing off everybody who thinks it might be bad as idiots who don't even know about the rocky horror show, you should google those cast members you don't know?

You're acting like everybody hates Laverne Cox, but that's silly. Its because they think a cheap made-for-tv version of the movie which is directly ripping off Tim Curry's style and not doing their own thing. Laverne Cox is amazing and Orange is the New Black is hugely popular, but the whole point of Rocky Horror is that its a stage show and everybody does their own live take on it, but these guys are just doing a quick cash-in rip off of the famous movie.

I dunno dude I just think "You guys are all coming out of the woodwork to freak out! I don't even know who these other cast members are...." seems a little out of it. I myself was super excited when I heard Laverne Cox, but then I looked into it further and lost that excitement.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like all the actors that are going to be in the new Ghostbusters, especially Kate McKinnon and Kristen Wiig, and Bridesmaids and Spy were both good. So I think it should be good, but it might just be a waste of a good director and actors.

I really want it to be good, I like Kate McKinnon a lot, but the trailers really made it seem like just another quick cash-in SNL movie that won't actually be very funny. The internet is definitely over-reacting though, for all we know that was just a badly cut trailer that's getting everybody up in arms. Trailers aren't even made by the director these days, they're done by external marketing teams that just get a little bit of footage and make up whatever they think will sell the film, so it could end up having a vastly different tone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't watched the trailer.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah the D1 final boss is 1000 times worse compared to D3s.

I just had problems at the last section where the beat skip threw me off. My god though I'm actually glad I did it and didn't just resign and look up a youtube for the ending.

Fun fact: Drakengard 3 ending A doesn't even lead into the first game despite being a prequel, it just fucks off and creates Drakengard 1.3 starring horrible elves and characters that seem even worse off then before.

Ending D will probably come crashing into Nier 2 with hilarious/sexy results.

The actual lead back into the first game is a Novel which acts as a branch E.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like all the actors that are going to be in the new Ghostbusters, especially Kate McKinnon and Kristen Wiig, and Bridesmaids and Spy were both good. So I think it should be good, but it might just be a waste of a good director and actors.
What? Spy was actually good? It looked like unwatchable garbage to me from the trailer. Maybe I will Redbox that poo poo and see if I just have a different sense of humor.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno dude I just think "You guys are all coming out of the woodwork to freak out! I don't even know who these other cast members are...." seems a little out of it. I myself was super excited when I heard Laverne Cox, but then I looked into it further and lost that excitement.

That's valid. I'm a person who thrives on novelty, though, so my reaction to these things is usually somewhere along the lines of "Shine on, thing! I hope you end up being at least watchable!"

Admittedly I probably spend way too much stress about how other people react to these things, and how that seemingly reflects on me as a person who is tangentially related to them by being invested in the conversation. I guess maybe that makes me the fake fan :v:. I'm just kind of happy that somebody is still engaging with these things that I like; there's no reason that they have to remain static forever, or otherwise be enshrined. If anything, I'm disappointed that modern copyright law ensures that none of these franchises will ever become public domain. There will never be a weirdo b-movie director in the year 2050 who gets to crank out "GHOSTBUSTERS VS DRACULA IN MARVELOUS 4-D", starring an aged, attention-starved Justin Bieber and like 24 mannequins.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Agh the wait between Overwatch beta ending and the game release in a week is killing me. Blizzard why did you do this to us?

deadly_pudding posted:

That's valid. I'm a person who thrives on novelty, though, so my reaction to these things is usually somewhere along the lines of "Shine on, thing! I hope you end up being at least watchable!"

Admittedly I probably spend way too much stress about how other people react to these things, and how that seemingly reflects on me as a person who is tangentially related to them by being invested in the conversation. I guess maybe that makes me the fake fan :v:. I'm just kind of happy that somebody is still engaging with these things that I like; there's no reason that they have to remain static forever, or otherwise be enshrined. If anything, I'm disappointed that modern copyright law ensures that none of these franchises will ever become public domain. There will never be a weirdo b-movie director in the year 2050 who gets to crank out "GHOSTBUSTERS VS DRACULA IN MARVELOUS 4-D", starring an aged, attention-starved Justin Bieber and like 24 mannequins.

Lol. Yeah that's fair. I also wish public domain was stronger and we had more people able to do wacky poo poo, and I don't mind the remake just existing so much I just think it looks bad; if it ends up being good somehow that'd be great. I also wish we'd get more original stories (or at least copies of Shakespeare with the guise of being original) as opposed to re-make after re-make.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CrashCat posted:

What? Spy was actually good? It looked like unwatchable garbage to me from the trailer. Maybe I will Redbox that poo poo and see if I just have a different sense of humor.
Yeah, it is. Way better than Tammy. It actually uses McCarthy well instead of just putting her into a rejected Chris Farley script.

It's nothing incredible, but it's a solid comedy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There are like 1000000 million original movies made every year

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

I guess my issue is that the usual internet troglodytes are coming out of the woodwork to freak out (sight unseen because it hasn't aired yet) because something won't be identical to how it was 40 years ago. I think that it should be no surprise that the mainstream is trying to make a more modern Rocky, given the way gender politics is currently exploding. Cox is the only new cast member I'm familiar with, but I think she's a good choice. She's probably the most well-known trans woman who is also an actor, and her presence is a good way for the production to come out the gate and say, "Yes, we are acknowledging that this is a cultural touchstone about the blur between gender lines and sexual orientations."

While you're busy fighting the good fight against "internet troglodytes" , one would point out that if you'd read any of the posts about the show here, you'd have seen that nobody had criticized Cox and even I, the curmudgeon of this land, had said I thought she was an interesting casting choice who has been saddled with doing a cheap imitation of Curry rather than putting her own spin on the role.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

If I had to guess, this might have been done - at least in part - as a test of the new studio's technology (what it may be... they don't have FOX anymore) and workflow. Remember: The original demo shots of the FOX Engine didn't have any obviously Metal Gear stuff in it.

Hmm, the 1/3 made me think it was a scale model that was fabricated in real life, and not a rendering. Like you would walk past it entering Kojima Offices.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was tweet 1 of 3

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

It was tweet 1 of 3

Oh that makes sense. I don't know how Twitter works.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaMaxVdiaGQ

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Comic Sans

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

While you're busy fighting the good fight against "internet troglodytes" , one would point out that if you'd read any of the posts about the show here, you'd have seen that nobody had criticized Cox and even I, the curmudgeon of this land, had said I thought she was an interesting casting choice who has been saddled with doing a cheap imitation of Curry rather than putting her own spin on the role.

I recognize that you responding to "troglodyte" is probably just like when a dog's ears perk up at its name, but not everyone is talking about you, the Games chat thread, or Something Awful. Sometimes people are looking for commiseration and not a street fight.

Re: Curry and actors being saddled by imitations, I actually hope that doesn't gently caress up a good adaptation of It. I got sad enough when Cary Fukunaga left.

Baku fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 18, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I thought drakengard 3's last boss was way harder than 1's. For the last run in d1 you could just write down the sequence and mash it out as fast as possible, d3 requires you to land everything on beat for like 8 solid minutes.

Like people call it a rhythm game but it was more like 2 button Simon Says

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 18, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the rocky horror of video games

A bad game that has a cult following? Phantasmagoria maybe?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.batmanreturntoarkham.com/

city and asylum rebuilt on ue4 for ps4 and xbone. all dlc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.batmanreturntoarkham.com/

city and asylum rebuilt on ue4 for ps4 and xbone. all dlc.

:wow: didn't see that coming.

Not sure I really want to replay all of both of those but that's pretty cool.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This is a nice thing that I enjoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkdLMIz-Ys

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zaphod42 posted:

:wow: didn't see that coming.

Not sure I really want to replay all of both of those but that's pretty cool.

I can. but then again i am weird. i know some people are probably pissed about origins not being remastered, but it doesnt hold up. well. the city is to big and empty and if you dont do dumb busy work. you cant unlock fast travel. plus at least knight had poo poo you could do. dumb poo poo but still poo poo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I liked Origins better than Knight fwm

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

setafd posted:

I liked Origins better than Knight fwm

I thought the lightning gloves added a good amount to the battle system and I enjoyed that they added in a new enemy type. I feel like the Arkham engine always limited what types of enemies they could throw at you, but Origins did feel like they had the most variety of threats they could present in any one situation. Origins was much too similar to City in too many ways; I liked the Joker's role in it, but otherwise I feel like City had the more passion and heart behind it. City they clearly wanted to make "The Ultimate Batman Game" with a crazy twist ending that really shook things up in a fun way. To that aim, they succeeded.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I also wish we'd get more original stories (or at least copies of Shakespeare with the guise of being original) as opposed to re-make after re-make.
Just watch more non-US cinema...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

Just watch more non-US cinema...

Oh I do, I love me some subtitles. But it'd be nice if the domestic market was better.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I loved Arkham City so much. I understand people have a lot of attachment to the metroidvania gameplay of Asylum but City was the game that really felt like Batman to me. Maybe it's a side-effect of growing up with The Animated Series but I always felt Batman without Gotham City was only half the equation.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I loved Arkham City so much. I understand people have a lot of attachment to the metroidvania gameplay of Asylum but City was the game that really felt like Batman to me. Maybe it's a side-effect of growing up with The Animated Series but I always felt Batman without Gotham City was only half the equation.

Having to waste time traveling through boring areas full of terrible riddler trophies and with nothing interesting to do really improved the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FactsAreUseless posted:

I liked the part in the trailer where the black lady said "aw HAAALE no" that's definitely the fresh injection of humor modern American cinema needs.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Andrast posted:

Having to waste time traveling through boring areas full of terrible riddler trophies and with nothing interesting to do really improved the game.

Flying/gliding around the city and being able to dive-bomb random mooks at any time was actually a really good improvement, yeah.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PantsBandit posted:

It was definitely better than Arkham Knight. I finished AK having no technical problems with it and only played AC afterwards. The visual difference is striking but AC is so much cooler and feels way more like a true Batman game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I couldn't really get into any of them except Asylum, but I think by the time I played Arkham City (not anywhere close to when it came out), I was already starting to tire of "open world with a bunch of repeated mini-missions on the map" games so that might've soured my experience of it somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've only played Asylum but that already seemed like enough, I mean how much Batman does one really need.

• Locked thread