Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Siets posted:

This is where I was at as well. Glad I'm not the only one a bit disappointed in the 4K benchmarks.

Still, it's a massive boost over my current GTX 770, and I'm more interested in VR than going full 4K at the moment. I'm thinking of just spoiling myself with a 1080 now, and looking at doing an upgrade to 4K in another 3 years once the GPUs trivialize it, HBM is standard, and the rest of my PC is in need of an upgrade.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I am going to resist a 1080 just because of how big a jump to the 1070 will be for me. A 770->1080 might be too far into diminishing returns for the difference vs money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No? What I said is that you should get a 1080/1070 if you are doing VR or using a multi-monitor setup in games because of the improvements the 10-series cards make to those.

Oh! I misunderstood, sorry.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Durinia posted:

...and my current GPU isn't even on it.

Yeah, maybe I've waited long enough...

I feel your pain, I'm running on Geforce 275 GTXs, where such games like Far Cry 2, and Mass Effect were used as Benchmarks, with resolutions such as 1280 x 1024

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

The obvious choice is to not go for 4k and instead go for ultrawide! Easier to drive and more of the game for you :haw:

With a 120hz 40" 4K, why not both?

3440 21:9? Custom resolution in control panel.

27" 1440@120hz? Set a custom resolution and scoot the monitor arm forward a couple inches.

No more consumer anxiety pills, friends :grin:

(The early high hz *sync panels will only be sold by Acer and Asus and cost 1 million dollars probably)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'd wait and see what is announced at computex. A 120+ hz 34"+ *sync backlight strobed 4K display attached to a nice dynamic monitor arm seems both plausible and extremely epic. It will be big enough that you can set it to a custom resolution if you need the fps or 21:9 and just scoot it forward a couple inches. I think I would go for 40"

Seems a bit excessive. Unless the price point is in the 500-700 range I'll just stick to 27 inches. When is computex?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

Oh! I misunderstood, sorry.

No problem, looking back I see how depending on how you read the poster I quoted you can interpret the "Yes" and "No" backwards, I should have been more verbose in my reply so that what I was saying would be more clear.

EDIT:

Holyshoot posted:

Seems a bit excessive. Unless the price point is in the 500-700 range I'll just stick to 27 inches. When is computex?

Computex is from May 31st to June 4th.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

May 31st-June 4th

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Huh. So AMD's bundling Total Warhammer with some of their stuff (390s and FX cpus).

What the hell AMD is it that thinks bundling a major release that should be a best case for their products because of DX 12 support is a good idea? I'm not familiar with this AMD.

Isn't AMD going to be doing an announcement sometime real soon? I'm pretty sure they have something scheduled before the 27th.

I guess that's a start but I've always felt the AMD bundles were always pretty bad compared to NVidia. I'm not into Warhammer at all.

Like, NVidia just did MGSV: Phantom Pain, Witcher 3, The Division, they did Borderlands Pre-Sequel, those are all really heavy hitters and all great games except for arguably Division.

AMD keeps bundling Shitman. I really don't care what they bundle, but at the least the vouchers could have some good resale value. A lot of the NVidia vouchers can flip easily on SAMart or eBay and take $45 off the cost of your card.

Edit: More importantly, NVidia bundled games on GTX 970's when they were at the height of popularity. Like, anyone would have happily paid full price for the card without a bundle and they did it anyway.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

I guess that's a start but I've always felt the AMD bundles were always pretty bad compared to NVidia. I'm not into Warhammer at all.

Like, NVidia just did MGSV: Phantom Pain, Witcher 3, The Division, they did Borderlands Pre-Sequel, those are all really heavy hitters and all great games except for arguably Division.

AMD keeps bundling Shitman. I really don't care what they bundle, but at the least the vouchers could have some good resale value. A lot of the NVidia vouchers can flip easily on SAMart or eBay and take $45 off the cost of your card.

Edit: More importantly, NVidia bundled games on GTX 970's when they were at the height of popularity. Like, anyone would have happily paid full price for the card without a bundle and they did it anyway.

I paid for every video card except for part of this last one in the last several years because of this :x

edit: well thats an exaggeration but it definitely made it all possible

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 18, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

xthetenth posted:

Huh. So AMD's bundling Total Warhammer with some of their stuff (390s and FX cpus).

What the hell AMD is it that thinks bundling a major release that should be a best case for their products because of DX 12 support is a good idea? I'm not familiar with this AMD.

Isn't AMD going to be doing an announcement sometime real soon? I'm pretty sure they have something scheduled before the 27th.

Bundle/Marketing deals are often (but not always) signed as part of a technical partnership agreement ("you guys have to do DX12/give us build access for testing/we will send engineers to help streamline perf") so that's not terribly surprising.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

The obvious choice is to not go for 4k and instead go for ultrawide! Easier to drive and more of the game for you :haw:

Ultrawide is amazing. Looking forward to getting a 1080 as my 970 has some issues playing newer games at 3440x1440.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KakerMix posted:

Unironically this.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

With a 120hz 40" 4K, why not both?

3440 21:9? Custom resolution in control panel.

27" 1440@120hz? Set a custom resolution and scoot the monitor arm forward a couple inches.

No more consumer anxiety pills, friends :grin:

(The early high hz *sync panels will only be sold by Acer and Asus and cost 1 million dollars probably)

I'm actually somewhat annoyed that Acer is the ONLY company out there with a 21:9 1440p IPS curved ultrawide with a wide enough Freesync band to be worth a drat (Something something upper bound at least 2.5x the low bound). I spent an annoying long time looking through AMD's chart thing they started posting on their website.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

bigmandan posted:

Ultrawide is amazing. Looking forward to getting a 1080 as my 970 has some issues playing newer games at 3440x1440.

I'm on 2560x1080 and it's wonderful and I love it. I don't think I could go back. My dual 760s are ok for now, but I want to go back to a single card (SLI is finnicky as gently caress, as you all know). I'm hoping Polaris will let me do that (and take advantage of Freesync, which the monitor supports).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gonkish posted:

I'm on 2560x1080 and it's wonderful and I love it. I don't think I could go back. My dual 760s are ok for now, but I want to go back to a single card (SLI is finnicky as gently caress, as you all know). I'm hoping Polaris will let me do that (and take advantage of Freesync, which the monitor supports).

Most estimates for big Polaris are along the lines of 390 or up, and my experience with a nice 290 that performs pretty close to the 390 is that it's less card than I'd prefer for 3440x1440 but still playable especially with freesync.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Where's my $120 HD7750 single slot low profile successor

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xthetenth posted:

Most estimates for big Polaris are along the lines of 390 or up, and my experience with a nice 290 that performs pretty close to the 390 is that it's less card than I'd prefer for 3440x1440 but still playable especially with freesync.

And it had better launch @ ~ $200

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Solvency posted:

I feel your pain, I'm running on Geforce 275 GTXs, where such games like Far Cry 2, and Mass Effect were used as Benchmarks, with resolutions such as 1280 x 1024

My 670 isn't that bad, but yeah. I've been hoarding to buy up big on both GPU and Monitor (still on a 22" Samsung from 2007 @ 1680x1050).

Then my wife mentioned a couple months back that she thinks we should get another desktop computer for the kids to have upstairs and I somehow managed to not squeal with glee. :toot:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Never been part of the waiting game on a new graphics card release and goddamn I just wanna buy some poo poo and plug it in already gently caress. I have a Vive ordered to come in around mid-june and nothing to run it yet. Also I'm a giant retarded baby.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Chinaman7000 posted:

Never been part of the waiting game on a new graphics card release and goddamn I just wanna buy some poo poo and plug it in already gently caress. I have a Vive ordered to come in around mid-june and nothing to run it yet. Also I'm a giant retarded baby.

I'm in the same boat. Currently running a 780 Ti, my Vive will be here on Monday. Probably going to slum it, then upgrade to a 1070, then eventually a 1080 Ti.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Same, but my Vive shows up tomorrow and until I can get a 1080 I'm running a Radeon HD 6870, which I think might not cut it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Same, but my Vive shows up tomorrow and until I can get a 1080 I'm running a Radeon HD 6870, which I think might not cut it.

A 6870 absolutely does not cut it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A 6870 absolutely does not cut it.

Hence the pile of parts in my living room (that you very nicely selected for me) that include everything but a graphics card :)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

I'd at least wait for AIB versions of the 1080 with a better cooler and better power delivery, based on reviews the Founder Edition significantly hampers the 1080's potential, such that they aren't impressively better than OC 980ti's.

Which reviews can I look at to read more about this? I was thinking of going Founders preorder because I don't want to wait and I'm scared all the buttcoin miners are going to hoover up all of the stock. Is the Founders card really that gimped? A lot of the talk in this thread goes way over my head unfortunately.

vvv Well that's good news at least, thanks. gently caress :butt:coins.

Siets fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 18, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Siets posted:

Which reviews can I look at to read more about this? I was thinking of going Founders preorder because I don't want to wait and I'm scared all the buttcoin miners are going to hoover up all of the stock. Is the Founders card really that gimped? A lot of the talk in this thread goes way over my head unfortunately.

Bitcoin mining on a GPU will not be profitable. There was an offhand comment that this GPU is better than other GPUs, but GPUs were left in the dust years ago by ASICs, and the 10xx series won't change that. Other cryptos occasionally use GPU mining, but nothing else is big enough to make a dent in the market.

I mean, get what you want but don't spend money because you're afraid of GPU mining suddenly becoming a thing again.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Siets posted:

I think it was wacky Germans that did the testing unfortunately. Short version is you can't get enough power into the thing to take your clocks as high as they should go.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Siets posted:

Gimped? Surely not gimped, but it only has 1x power connector and the supporting VRMs to handle that much power and from early reports the power delivery is the first limitation. There's no telling how much more you'll get out of more power, but it certainly must be some without some artificial limitations.

I know I would not be comfortable spending more money for that, but will it be bad? No, but it's shaping up to be purely a reference card which historically have never OC'd quite as high as aftermarkets and it doesn't look like this one will either.

Is 2100 mhz slow? lol no, but the price is the main problem here for me. If you are willing to wait I certainly would. The buttcoiner spin is kind of an unknown at this point but I think its at least not as crazy as it was

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Siets posted:

While I don't have the links handy, there were multiple reviews where overclocking attempts were met with mixed success. Notably, the core clocks would vary as much as 200+ Mhz during a benchmark, while the power limit was pegged and the core temp was well below 80C. This strongly indicates that it's throttling due to insufficient power, rather than hitting a wall on clock speed or throttling for thermal reasons.

I wouldn't say the FE 1080 is "gimped"--it'll still be somewhat faster than any reasonably overclocked 980Ti, but it does suggest that the AIB companies have a pretty easy opening to make cards that will perform better. Just how much better is a mystery, though. But better performance (of any amount) plus a promise of lower prices does make the FE seem like a bit of a fool's purchase unless you are the most impatient of people or have some other compelling reason. So a bit more "not quite all it could have been" rather than straight up "gimped."

I doubt the miners are going to be overly interested in the 1080. Pound-for-pound AMD's cards are still better at most current currencies, and they're much cheaper. The 1070 might get a bit more interest, but even then the serious miners are all waiting to see what they can get out of Pascal, or disregarding GPUs entirely as inferior to custom ASICs.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

This Founders Edition drama has been so great. They have been doing the same thing for awhile now, where they send out reference cards to 3rd parties for initial release and then they are supposed push out custom stuff as they are supplied with only the gpu chip after the initial release. The addition $100 is new, though it is hard to blame a corporation for taking advantage of demand since they are heartless entities run on profits. They should release a no heatsink model for an extra $200 just for the press and pubbie drama.

Was honestly hoping they'd give us a Titan card with HBM2 right away, though I guess I should be relieved that my wallet isn't taking that hit. I have no intention of waiting for a Ti model since I got my 780 when the Ti came out and kick myself for not making the jump a year earlier since the price drop wasn't huge.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's nowhere online that's taking preorders for the 1080/70 yet, right?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is June 10th only when the "Founder's Edition" of the 1070 going to be released or will we see 1070 cards from third party vendors on that day too?

And would my OC'd 2500K bottleneck a 1070?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

spasticColon posted:

Is June 10th only when the "Founder's Edition" of the 1070 going to be released or will we see 1070 cards from third party vendors on that day too?
No one's really sure one way or the other about the AIB's release schedule--they've said literally nothing about it.

spasticColon posted:

Unlikely.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spasticColon posted:

Bottlenecking isn't binary, T(Frame) = T(CPU) + T(GPU) and reducing T(GPU) will always improve T(Frame) somewhat.

With that said I don't really think so, if you're above 4 GHz you're only maybe 25% behind the state of the art tops. You're going to lose a few frames-per-second but it's not like you won't see any increase at all.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Still waiting for 6880x2880 with high refresh and free sync, and whatever new version of DisplayPort to actually be able to run all that for a billion dollars.

Actually does DP 1.2 have the bandwidth for 120hz at 3440x1440 or is 1.3 needed?

xthetenth posted:

Is that for maxed out settings? I'm fine with modest settings (and generally play simpler looking games to begin with) so I'm hoping the lower-mid range stuff (cmon $200) would be good enough to last me a while with an ultrawide. Hell I bet I'd be fine with the current stuff probably but figure I might as well wait for the new GPUs at this point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spasticColon posted:

This is very game dependent. It's not going to choke on feeding data to the GPU alone unless the title is making a LOT of draw calls (a worst-case scenario for current-gen APIs and one of the main reasons for Mantle/Vulkan/DX12), but anything that's doing a lot of AI, physics, or sound on the CPU could start pushing things.

How OCed is also important. I understand those things tend to OC quite well and clock for clock they aren't that much slower than newer generations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Nope, you need an optimization dumpster fire like XCOM2 to even tell a stock 2500 from a OC'ed 6700K.
Yes the Germans tested it http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/geforce-gtx-1080-test/8/#diagramm-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-1920-1080-intel-core-i5-2500k

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Siets posted:

vvv Well that's good news at least, thanks. gently caress :butt:coins.

I'm going to echo everyone before me and say it's not "gimped" rather GP104 likes 1) colder temperatures; Techpowerup notes that after about 82°C Nvidia's new boost clock will start throttling the card right away, and 2) More power! A GP104 is really power constrained with only a single 8 pin connector and the few VRMs it has; Techpowerup was interesting in that they determined the card was also hard limited to 185W as well.

I'm suggesting against the FE due to poor value for performance, especially since there seems to be some strong variance in capability between all the reviews, with a board design that seems very limiting. If you want to spend 699$, I'd personally wait until someone drops one with 6+2 VRMs and 2 8 pin connectors, which should make the bottleneck the GPU, not what seems to be inadequate PCB design.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Not strictly GPU related https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/05/Google-supercharges-machine-learning-tasks-with-custom-chip.html

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I really hope some insane AIB manufacturer does a Big Pascal with three 8-pins.

That seems like something Powercolor might do.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

I'm suggesting against the FE due to poor value for performance, especially since there seems to be some strong variance in capability between all the reviews, with a board design that seems very limiting. If you want to spend 699$, I'd personally wait until someone drops one with 6+2 VRMs and 2 8 pin connectors, which should make the bottleneck the GPU, not what seems to be inadequate PCB design.

I agree but it all depends on when AIBs get boards designed and parts in hand and can start selling cards. If you have to wait a year for AIB cards (ludicrous) then obviously it would make sense to suck it up and buy the FE. If the AIB cards release same-day it seems stupid to buy the FE.

AFAIK there is no solid info yet on when AIB cards will hit the market.

I'm hoping that supply firms up and AIB cards are releasing within a month or so, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

AFAIK there is no solid info yet on when AIB cards will hit the market.

There's not even non-solid info. We know like next to nothing about the 3rd party non-reference products. There are just those Zotac leaks and a silhouette of a gigabyte card. It's pretty weird, to me. Wonder if there is some nda or something.