Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

I'm not a pro at missions, so I'm not the right person to ask. But here's how I'd eyeball it.

Fixed: 100MN AB, Tachyons, drone link augmentors, at least one tracking computer. Tank is variable; the Nightmare used to have a bonus to shield tanking, so a lot of people stick with that out of convention, and it does have 7 mids. However, I've seen viable armor fits as well.

If you want to shield tank it, 3 heatsinks + 2 TEs in your lows; run 2-3 mission-specific hardeners and an XLSB, one or two cap batteries depending on how much you care about cap stability. Strongly recommend a Pith B-Type XLSB, they're only 50M isk at Jita.
If you want to armor tank it, 2-3 heatsinks + 2-3 mission-specific hardeners and a LAR, load up your mids with cap rechargers and tracking computers

Something like this?

[Nightmare, New Setup 1]
Damage Control II
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Republic Fleet Tracking Enhancer
Republic Fleet Tracking Enhancer

100MN Afterburner II
Large Cap Battery II
Large Cap Battery II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Pith B-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Shield Boost Amplifier II

Drone Link Augmentor I
Drone Link Augmentor I
Tachyon Beam Laser II, Gleam L

Large Energy Burst Aerator II
Large Core Defense Field Extender I
[empty rig slot]

Hobgoblin II x5
Valkyrie II x5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the CDFE doesn't really give you anything. Also I don't know anything about missions, so you might be able to simply AB away and blap them as they follow and lose transversal or you might need to shoehorn in a web/some other mod to help apply damage.

edit: did they ever make it so faction guns can use t2 ammo/benefit from weapon spec skills?

second edit:

[Nightmare, New Setup 1]

Large Armor Repairer II
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II

100MN Afterburner II
Large Cap Battery II
Large Cap Battery II
Heavy Stasis Grappler II
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier
Tracking Computer II
Tracking Computer II

Drone Link Augmentor I
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Energy Burst Aerator I
Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Large Anti-Thermal Pump I

Valkyrie II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

might be viable with implants that increase repping power. it reps less than half of the shield setup but if your fighting rats inside 14km it will be doing a lot more dps.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 18, 2016

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I have had a long issue with trying to understand drone aggro.

2 weeks ago, I was trying to solo rat in a VNI. Rats kept focus firing my heavies down, put would ignore mediums and lights. Eventually they started a process of killing 1-2 drones, of any size, then ignoring drones for the rest of the site. So I started sacrificing a single light drone to start a site and then deploying my faction drones and it was working fine.

Then, all of a sudden, about a week and a half ago the rats just started ignoring my drones. The day before, I had finished Drone Durability 3, but was experiencing the same issues all day. The next day it just... fixed itself?

Then tonight, I did something stupid and forgot to put my AB on and lost my VNI. After I refitted with the EXACT same fit, I went to a site and the rats started focusing my drones down again, like back before 2 weeks ago. I tried sacrificing drones again, didn't work. As soon as I deploy more than 3 heavies, the rats start attacking the drones. There has been no drone skill changes during this time.

Can anyone explain what is happening and/or how to fix it? tia

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Are you using literally any ewar modules at all? Doesn't matter what it is, rats hate ewar and will target the hell out of you just to make it stop.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

FranktheBank posted:

2 weeks ago, I was trying to solo rat in a VNI. Rats kept focus firing my heavies down, put would ignore mediums and lights. Eventually they started a process of killing 1-2 drones, of any size, then ignoring drones for the rest of the site. So I started sacrificing a single light drone to start a site and then deploying my faction drones and it was working fine.

Then, all of a sudden, about a week and a half ago the rats just started ignoring my drones. The day before, I had finished Drone Durability 3, but was experiencing the same issues all day. The next day it just... fixed itself?

Then tonight, I did something stupid and forgot to put my AB on and lost my VNI. After I refitted with the EXACT same fit, I went to a site and the rats started focusing my drones down again, like back before 2 weeks ago. I tried sacrificing drones again, didn't work. As soon as I deploy more than 3 heavies, the rats start attacking the drones. There has been no drone skill changes during this time.

:ccp: Is probably the best way to explain rat agro. If you drop drones before you stop moving post-warp then the rats are less likely to go for the drones.

DigitalDud
Sep 6, 2005
I've found that the aggro tables get messed up sometimes. When this happens to me I get safe, eject from my ship, and re-board. That usually fixes it. Usually.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

ewar mods

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You need something to kill occasional tackle frigates. There are a few missions which have some which are basically untrackable to large guns by orbiting at 2000m at 500k/sec (and MWDing at 5000k/sec with 20km 90% webs). For those, eg, in my missile boat I carry precision missiles and TP them. Otherwise, I use drones.

Most missions which are worth doing won't have situations where you need to otherwise reduce transversal on stuff.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Syndic Thrass posted:

PM me on Jabber, I had a shittier solution in mind, but that would be good cause I was thinking about how to display the like 4-5 pieces of info one gives a poo poo about

I'll maybe bother you tonight, depends on business

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Re: nightmare fits

There's a few l4 missions that fitting an mjd and blapping from range significantly speeds up clear times as well. Granted, it's been a while since I've missioned, so that could be bunk now. I'll see if I have one of the fits saved later on though, never tried armor on it but shield was great for me.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FranktheBank posted:

Rats and drone aggro is this weird loving dance that makes no sense in this game. The ewar trick used to work, but last night on Sisi I was testing this exact thing against wormhole rats in my Rattlesnake and NOTHING worked to keep them from aggroing my drones. I tried remote armor repairing them, remote sensor boosting them, target painting a sleeper rat, and even neuting a sleeper rat. None of these things kept the rats from switching to my drones.

What I eventually settled on for my Rattlesnake was the following:

2x Garde II's for cruisers and close range battleships.

2x Curator II's for long range battleships and far away turrets.

2x Berserker II's for frigates that close and orbit me at around 6km.

This way, all drones I deploy are near me and I just recall them if they come under fire. I think the Berserkers are the best heavy drones for dealing with frigs because they are fast and seem to be the only ones capable of tracking them. Ogres miss frigates all day long.

Anyway, maybe that helps. You aren't alone with this problem. I think CCP likely hosed with aggro mechanics, because the days of AFK drone warfare seem to be over. Either that or sleepers are just extra obnoxious and none of this applies to normal rats. :shrug:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I posted this in the non-chill thread but might as well ask here, how exactly do I opt out of opt-tmc?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I believe its a setting on gf dot com

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

contact methods under My Settings - check your user control panel

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks, I was looking around the auth section and couldn't find anything. Thought it was a group, never thought to check settings.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Siets posted:

Either that or sleepers are just extra obnoxious and none of this applies to normal rats. :shrug:

I'm 95% sure it's this - I know sleepers are hell on drones, far more so than regular NPCs

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

DigitalDud posted:

I've found that the aggro tables get messed up sometimes. When this happens to me I get safe, eject from my ship, and re-board. That usually fixes it. Usually.

This fixed it... What the gently caress kinda of 2003 coding is that?!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

I'm 95% sure it's this - I know sleepers are hell on drones, far more so than regular NPCs

Running regular highsec L4s in a rattlesnake I occasionally have to pull a drone, even if I've been tanking all aggro for a minute or two before launching. Not a huge deal for me because I usually MJD out to sniping distances and drop sentries but it sucks when you come in from an acceleration gate and immediately get aggro from a bunch of elite frigates that you can't hit for poo poo w/ cruises, painted or not

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I asked in the non chill thread.

What's a iOS xmpp app that isn't poo poo. Talkonaut makes me want to claw my eyes out with rusty spoons.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Oodles posted:

I asked in the non chill thread.

What's a iOS xmpp app that isn't poo poo. Talkonaut makes me want to claw my eyes out with rusty spoons.

You're basically stuck with talkonaut iirc.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Note on ewar and aggro, sometimes a target painter or undersized neut does not distract them from eating your drones.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So I was looking through the AT ships and their bonuses and it seems to me like there's been a pretty strong power-creep every successive year - like, compare the Moracha to the Mimir - the Moracha does everything better and can cloak. Will CCP ever nerf these things or are they so rare that they're happy to maintain their role as AT trump cards for the big boy teams?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Goatman Sacks posted:

So I was looking through the AT ships and their bonuses and it seems to me like there's been a pretty strong power-creep every successive year - like, compare the Moracha to the Mimir - the Moracha does everything better and can cloak. Will CCP ever nerf these things or are they so rare that they're happy to maintain their role as AT trump cards for the big boy teams?

I actually think the whole AT ships thing is kind of dumb. They should be stop making unreasonable ships, then give bpcs to the winners, then let them be gettable 1 year after they are prizes. It's dumb when CCP devotes that many resources to creating things that virtually no players in eve will ever see.

Faction battleships used to be a big deal, back in the day, and now they are so commonplace they are fleet doctrines.

I'd love to see things like the Moracha available to every player who is willing to grind out 9.9 standings and get a one time offer, or reach some rank in faction warfare or something.

Keep the supply small, but make it so you occasionally see them.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I was a full year into Eve before I even knew what a Nightmare was

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
So what is the biggest draw to upgrading to a Scimitar from a Scythe? I get that the Scimitar has a little more tank, but the Scythe would be cheaper, gets a boost to all logistics drones so I can have a few armor rep drones stored for fixing armor between fights, and even with Logi Cruiser V, the Scimitar only gets a 300% boost to shield booster range while the scythe has 430% as a role bonus. Is it the additional fitting resources with the extra powergrid and CPU? Am I not comprehending what all the bonuses the Scimitar gets do? I'm only just starting to dip my toes into logi so I'm trying to learn what's what.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So what does it take to push out into low sec or null sec as a miner? I have a Covetor and I am about a week out from strip miner T2s with one rocks mining crystal.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Fureil posted:

So what is the biggest draw to upgrading to a Scimitar from a Scythe? I get that the Scimitar has a little more tank, but the Scythe would be cheaper, gets a boost to all logistics drones so I can have a few armor rep drones stored for fixing armor between fights, and even with Logi Cruiser V, the Scimitar only gets a 300% boost to shield booster range while the scythe has 430% as a role bonus. Is it the additional fitting resources with the extra powergrid and CPU? Am I not comprehending what all the bonuses the Scimitar gets do? I'm only just starting to dip my toes into logi so I'm trying to learn what's what.

The bigger tank is a very big deal, but also fitting. Scythes typically have to stick with Medium reps, while a Scimitar can be made to go with larges.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Hagop posted:

So what does it take to push out into low sec or null sec as a miner? I have a Covetor and I am about a week out from strip miner T2s with one rocks mining crystal.

If I had to guess, friends. Also near OCD levels of hitting DScan and running away when others show up in local that you don't know.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Goatman Sacks posted:

Well, cloaking isn't especially useful in the AT since cloaks are banned, but I don't know about big power creep. The really useful prize ships from the last five years are the Malice (AT 9), Cambion and Etana (AT 10), Moracha sorta-kinda (AT 11), and Fiend (AT 13). The AT 12 ships have significant drawbacks that limit their usefulness in the tournament, especially if the restriction to T1 damage drones remains in place, and the Imp/Chremoas are good but not amazing.

pseudanonymous posted:

Keep the supply small, but make it so you occasionally see them.
You do occasionally see them, though - there are people who pvp in them somewhat regularly, and quite a few have died in non-tournament fights over the years.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 18, 2016

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hagop posted:

You probably do not want to take a Covetor into low sec or null sec, unless you're part of a larger group. Procurers are relatively tanky, you might be able to fend off a single ship, but you'll most likely get shot.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

You probably do not want to take a Covetor into low sec or null sec, unless you're part of a larger group. Procurers are relatively tanky, you might be able to fend off a single ship, but you'll most likely get shot.

Fureil posted:

If I had to guess, friends. Also near OCD levels of hitting DScan and running away when others show up in local that you don't know.

Bummer :(

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Any reason you are set on moving out to low/nul? If not I'm sure VideoGames would welcome another miner to his mining corp. From what I hear its a pretty chill time and you get to shoot rocks all day if you want. May even be able to get a few guys to go do lowsec mining with you.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Fureil posted:

Any reason you are set on moving out to low/nul? If not I'm sure VideoGames would welcome another miner to his mining corp. From what I hear its a pretty chill time and you get to shoot rocks all day if you want. May even be able to get a few guys to go do lowsec mining with you.

I currently fly with the rock bros, its just the isk/hour charts leading me to grand dreams.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

nessin posted:

Note on ewar and aggro, sometimes a target painter or undersized neut does not distract them from eating your drones.

I tried a target painter a while back, didnt work for keeping aggro off drones.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Bovril who are currently part of OOS is a mining Corp iirc.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oodles posted:

OSS, not OOS.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Putting a remote sebo on your own drone will make the rats stick to you.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Oodles posted:

i wonder if suas makes them mine for his titan

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Reverand maynard posted:

i wonder if suas makes them mine for his titan

First they need to mine for the skill injectors for his alt so he can have another titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I found out they gave out some free aur a while back, and its sitting in my market orders to the tune of 10b for free. That's a pretty nice gift. Does anyone know how to determine how much aur you have on old trial accounts? Would they have the Aur too?

• Locked thread