Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh I'm sure he will be fine. But the contempt against him is getting kind of creepy and it baffles me, people are short of saying the guy is in a personal crusade to destroy everything they hold dear or something.

That's the generic fandom response to something they don't like.

But I think there's legitimate criticism to be had, all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

TBF Snyder also made Sucker Punch, which is hands down one of the biggest pieces of tedious garbage I've paid to see.
WOW

WOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBVExpGMuB0
take it back
TAKE IT BACK

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Well Zach Snyder did direct a couple superman movies that's basically loving around with nerd religious icons and any radically different treatment on them is going to send the fanatics into a frenzy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Arrested Development is now MCU canon

can't wait to see Franklin Bluth in the next Guardians movie

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

How quickly people forget 2004 and how Snyder committed the blasphemy of making Romero zombies run - and not just a lumbering jog, but full blown sprinting. The corner of horror fans that were zombie nerds (because back then that's all they were - a subculture in a subculture on the fringe of the mainstream) were livid over even the idea of it. 28 Days Later was okay because those were "infected". This was spitting in the eye of George himself.

Needless to say, Snyder has always attracted derision for going against the grain. Doing Last Temptation with Superman and having Bruce Wayne going full Falling Down are just the latest trespasses against the borders of nerd culture. And Watchmen is a whole other front. 300 and Sucker Punch are minor (although Punch really, really makes some people sore) by comparison, and Ga'Hoole doesn't even register because what self-respecting nerd goes to see a movie about owls?*

You can imagine this guy is going to end up doing Akira, and he's somehow going to make it actually take place in Tokyo and have at least one Japanese/Japanese-American actor as a protagonist and squeeze every last bit of paranoia and grime and insanity contained in that story, and this will somehow be the worst possible thing that could have happened to it and why didn't they just leave it well enough alone, how could they have let him get his grubby mitts on it, he ruins everything

* Ga'Hoole kinda loving owns, by the way. A weird Don Bluth and Frank Frazetta lovechild of a thing. Owls with battle helmets and talon swords and a baby owl absolutely disturbed by its own natural body functions and getting Helen Mirren, Excalibur's Morgana, as the big baddie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Nerdism is an ideology.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Cameo posted:

You can imagine this guy is going to end up doing Akira, and he's somehow going to make it actually take place in Tokyo and have at least one Japanese/Japanese-American actor as a protagonist and squeeze every last bit of paranoia and grime and insanity contained in that story, and this will somehow be the worst possible thing that could have happened to it and why didn't they just leave it well enough alone, how could they have let him get his grubby mitts on it, he ruins everything
As long as neither he nor Goyer writes it, I'd be down so loving hard for that.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nerdism is an ideology.
Nerdism is a developmental disorder.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh I'm sure he will be fine. But the contempt against him is getting kind of creepy and it baffles me, people are short of saying the guy is in a personal crusade to destroy everything they hold dear or something.

before Man of Steel, he was in my top 5 favorite current working directors. Heck, I was still pulling for Batman V Superman. I was stoked for that film. I just do not agree with his politics when it comes to heroic characters. Some people do, hey more power to them. I'm just bummed we're not on the same page any more. Maybe when he's doing something that isn't DC related, I might warm back up to him. But his last films have left me kind of cold.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I'm just bummed we're not on the same page any more

I notice you keep posting like this. "I don't like it :sigh:" "I guess so :sigh:"

It's just movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's just a post.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Snyder will make another movie, people will like it, life goes on. Not everyone gets it 'right'. Frothing hatred for anyone over a movie is patently ridiculous anyway.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't hate him. if I saw him on the streets, I'd talk to him about how great Watchmen or 300 was. And how neat the opening to Sucker Punch is. (and it rules. The bulb being shot out/the light of everyone's lives exploding is powerful stuff)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wheeee posted:

Like, nobody can hate Whedon because no matter how rich his products make him he's still a gross little manchild.

Plenty of people hate Whedon, and went WHOO HOO when it was announced he was done with Marvel movies. And double WHOO HOO'ed when it became obvious that Civil War was just a better Avengers movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Happened with Whedon too. People would actually post pictures of just him personally and go lol fat. Of course Michael Bay has always drawn it. Internet nerd rage is not baffling anymore, it's always happening somewhere.

It's not a personal Snyder thing, some people just like complaining. Someone posted a link in the BvS thread to that DC article specifically bolding the bit praising Civil War, it was transparently posted just to rile the same people up rather than discuss the actual topic of the article. Toss in the ever present internet exaggeration machine and...

e: haha should've read ahead, the post about how someone can only dislike Snyder because he is in better shape than them pairs nicely with the Whedon example. Comic critics thrive on ad hominem with their authors.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 18, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Zack Snyder just looks like a generic white dude, how does anybody give a poo poo?

Joss peaked creatively in like... 2002? But he kept getting bigger and bigger projects anyway and people eventually noticed. Or he just got tired and went home, I dunno.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Snyder also looks like he's aged about a thousand years recently so I don't even know what the point is anymore.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm more amused by the people who get upset when someone didn't like the film, than those who just didn't like the film, and have to treat it as a personal affront that someone didn't like something they liked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barry Convex posted:

THR has the scoop: WB is launching a dedicated DC Films division with Geoff Johns and current WB exec Jon Berg in charge. No prizes for guessing what prompted this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-v-superman-fallout-warner-895174

I hope that whatever WB does it leads to better movies than BvS. It killed off any interest in the Justice League movies for me to be honest.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope that whatever WB does it leads to better movies than BvS. It killed off any interest in the Justice League movies for me to be honest.

I think there's an admirable adherence to 'It didn't matter who these characters used to be, what matters is who they are for 2016' but I don't think that's really what people want to see. Perhaps it's because I'm not really a comic book person but it's easier for me to separate how the movies present these characters vs how they 'should' be presented.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

DrVenkman posted:

Snyder will make another movie, people will like it, life goes on. Not everyone gets it 'right'. Frothing hatred for anyone over a movie is patently ridiculous anyway.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

I'm more amused by the people who get upset when someone didn't like the film, than those who just didn't like the film, and have to treat it as a personal affront that someone didn't like something they liked.

The whole situation just baffles me. Such vitriolic tribalism over what equates to the same car with different paint jobs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I figured out a way to solve both the diversity problem in Hollywood and to appeal more to international audiences: cast multiple actors of different ethnicities in secondary character roles. Then film all their scenes with all the actors in multiple languages. Then there will be different cuts of the movies for different territories that appeal to different regions! US audiences will never have to sit through the distasteful task of looking at another Asian actor again, but can't criticize Hollywood for diversity in their casting.

Whew. Problem solved. Where's my executive bonus :v:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw Sucker Punch once and really don't feel like needing to see it ever again, but I do remember Oscar Isaac was clearly having a blast in it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope that whatever WB does it leads to better movies than BvS.

Snyder's still making Justice League so it will.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I've disliked several of Snyder's films and until people in CineD started posting over and over about his manly muscles my mental image of him was closer to that guy from Chuck. Thanks to this forum I will now start picturing him as WWE's Zach Ryder, which can only improve my enjoyment of future movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I've disliked several of Snyder's films and until people in CineD started posting over and over about his manly muscles my mental image of him was closer to that guy from Chuck. Thanks to this forum I will now start picturing him as WWE's Zach Ryder, which can only improve my enjoyment of future movies.

Which is which?!?!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I saw Civil War and I liked it well enough, but I realized I've got the same problem with it as I did with Winter Soldier: they should have gone full Metal Gear.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I saw Civil War and I liked it well enough, but I realized I've got the same problem with it as I did with Winter Soldier: they should have gone full Metal Gear.

More movies need more Metal Gear

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metal Gear?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Actually someone just give us a Metal Gear movie already.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A Kojima-directed Marvel movie would be insanely epic

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just compare and contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E486XjhYHh8

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metal Gear Solid movie then five years later a Twin Snakes remake/reboot

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Just take some LSD and watch Escape from New York.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

A Kojima-directed Marvel movie would be insanely epic

I'd be down for a Captain America 4 directed by Kojima.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd be down for a Captain America 4 directed by Kojima.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Any big-budget action movie directed by Kojima would be a major event. I don't even know what kind of drugs I'd need to do to prepare myself for something like that. Beer and weed wouldn't be potent enough for all the whacked out poo poo Kojima has going on in his head.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Actually someone just give us a Metal Gear movie already.

I always think of the time an executive from Konami basically lied and said "oh Paul Thomas Anderson is interested in doing it".

I think the last guy attached to that movie was the Kings of Summer guy, who's currently shooting Kong. Also I guess the co-writer of Monsters Dark Continent is writing it? My God it might actually work.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just take some LSD and watch Escape from New York.

metal gear solid.... give some of THOSE drugs thanks !! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Basebf555 posted:

Any big-budget action movie directed by Kojima would be a major event. I don't even know what kind of drugs I'd need to do to prepare myself for something like that. Beer and weed wouldn't be potent enough for all the whacked out poo poo Kojima has going on in his head.

just how high was this guy !! haha !! i'm so intrinsically bankrupt of creativity that drugs and art are synonymous to me

• Locked thread