Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

My Q-Face posted:

I had Mordin die even with the whole squad loyal. In my "Thane in the vents" moment on my first playthrough, I sent Grunt back with the civilians because I figured as a one-man army he'd be able to protect them from whatever ambush was waiting for them along the way, since they talk about needing someone to protect them.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Veotax posted:

Something that I feel that ME1 completely failed to get accross is that Saren hates humanity and wants to wipe us out, sure Anderson says that but your interactions with Saren made me feel that he was genuine in thinking that working with the Reapers might lead to some leniency or something. I thought that Anderson was just super biased from his past with Saren.

But nope, the first lovely book makes it clear that he just wants to wipe out humanity because his brother died during the first contact war.

The lesson here is that you should never listen to lovely "expanded universe" fiction that was written by people two or three degrees removed from the original story. The developers sure don't care what happened in a book they'll never read, so why should you? I think Saren works best as the game presents him, brainwashed by Sovereign into thinking he's saving the galaxy. Him being racist was actually a great way to mislead the player to the games plot twist that Saren isn't the villain, his car is.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Its easy to lose someone on the "hold the line" section if you don't know mechanics.

Really if you ace everything you should have unlocked a tribute to the temp party member that dies in the first 5 minutes of every Bioware game. (Except ME3)

Yeah, why wasn't Jenkins in the dream sequences?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, why wasn't Jenkins in the dream sequences?

That would have actually been neat if it had been Jenkins instead of Star Kid haunting you. Though I suppose not for making sure new players got it, I guess. Welp.

Also I know the Dream Sequences were bad because despite playing through ME3 twice for Paragon/Paragrade choices, I literally forgot they were in the game until mentioned in this thread. I had to go look them up because I simply have no memory of them at all. They were completely blocked from my mind.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rhjamiz posted:

That would have actually been neat if it had been Jenkins instead of Star Kid haunting you. Though I suppose not for making sure new players got it, I guess. Welp.

Also I know the Dream Sequences were bad because despite playing through ME3 twice for Paragon/Paragrade choices, I literally forgot they were in the game until mentioned in this thread. I had to go look them up because I simply have no memory of them at all. They were completely blocked from my mind.

I'd prefer to think of it as your mind trying to protect you from some of the worst parts of the story. Those dreams were only slightly less pretentious than the endings.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I once managed to have everyone except Miranda survive the suicide mission. It's easy enough to save everyone; it's getting the optimal result that's tricky.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kajeesus posted:

I once managed to have everyone except Miranda survive the suicide mission. It's easy enough to save everyone; it's getting the optimal result that's tricky.

LOL

panda clue
May 23, 2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the music in 1 truly was the best of them all, idk what happened. the me1 credits music was absolutely perfect. did EA force them to do orchestral arrangements to appeal to a broader audience? I feel like the electro-synth whatever was part of 1's dna.

I still listen to the ME1 end theme frequently. poo poo owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
yeah faunts are a good band

they also did the me3 end song, and it owns too

panda clue
May 23, 2014
When I'm feeling nostalgic for ME1, I usually just throw on this video, which is surprisingly well made and sums up the game nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2L03NFXYQ

I've already played through the entire game half a dozen times, so this is a nice 10 minute fix when I get cravings again.

edit: another really great video by the same guy about Garrus :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGXNpfAkDLE

panda clue fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 18, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kajeesus posted:

I prefer to have her die at Sanctuary in ME3 which is a bitch and a half to do if you haven't romanced her because you have to wilfully skip content to do it. Admittedly the content is dialogue written by Bioware, but the gamer in me still winces at missing out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

2house2fly posted:

I prefer to have her die at Sanctuary in ME3 which is a bitch and a half to do if you haven't romanced her because you have to wilfully skip content to do it. Admittedly the content is dialogue written by Bioware, but the gamer in me still winces at missing out.

I think Miranda dies if you don't warn her about Kai Leng, even if she's loyal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lycus posted:

In retrospect, I'm surprised they didn't kill off Anderson then.

The invasion of earth doesn't feel dangerous when a desk-jockey officer calls you for a chat every hour or so. We left him in the middle of total chaos but he's fine, really.

Just get some reinforcements to us sometime in the next... three weeks? Yeah, that'll be okay, Shephard. Talk to you later.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

sassassin posted:

The invasion of earth doesn't feel dangerous when a desk-jockey officer calls you for a chat every hour or so. We left him in the middle of total chaos but he's fine, really.

Just get some reinforcements to us sometime in the next... three weeks? Yeah, that'll be okay, Shephard. Talk to you later.

"By the way Shepard, you seem like you need a break. Why don't you take my $20 million apartment on the Citadel? Don't worry about me, I sleep on a bed made of corpses in a house also made of corpses. Toodles!"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris got me wanting to play Mass Effect again. Awesome have all the games on Origin already.

I assume DLC is cheap or in a bundled set or cheaper via a key seller.....goddammit EA.

Really 4 years plus and they are still using Bioware Points. I guess the the plus is I found points for $5.00 less on g2a...but ughhhh. Worst part was when I first played the game I never got any of the post extended ending dlc so I really want to play it.

Funny thing is for all the issues ME3 had with story line the game play is so fun (well except not switching weapon load outs on the fly) just a joy to play. This is just so annoying though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

gfanikf posted:

Funny thing is for all the issues ME3 had with story line the game play is so fun (well except not switching weapon load outs on the fly) just a joy to play. This is just so annoying though.

Remember when people were all worried about the multiplayer and it turned out that people are still playing it four years later?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pattonesque posted:

Remember when people were all worried about the multiplayer and it turned out that people are still playing it four years later?

I actually signed on briefly last night to see if it was still working (so I can boost my war score...though I don't recall if it was changed later on to be less a requirement) and I was shocked that people were still playing it and I got put into a quick match in like 30 seconds.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The MP is the best and most cool part of Mass Effect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The multiplayer is awesome, but as I was saying in the dedicated thread, it still needs a lot of work. Sometimes I can actually see enemies onscreen, and that's valuable space that should be taken up by more smoke, fire, ice, particle beams, and biotic lightning.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlie Mopps posted:

The MP is the best and most cool part of Mass Effect.

I prefer the single player stuff, but that's more because with a few exceptions I don't like mp that much. The ME3 one was very well done though I agree.

Funny thing was I liked ME3 sp right up until the ending. Ending was just such a turn off. Ironically that caused me to stop caring about the game and missing all the dlc. Citadel is supposed to be great for character interactions and Leviathan which answered a lot of lore questions I always had.

Still for any complaints about the end story (and some story thread ends) Javik making GBS threads on everyone and Liara coming to terms with the Protheans being giant galactic dicks will always be a fond memory of mine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't played the ME3 DLC stuff yet. The little snippets I've seen here and there make Javik sound like a really stereotypical Alien Samurai type character from a 90s-00s sci-fi TV show.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't played the ME3 DLC stuff yet. The little snippets I've seen here and there make Javik sound like a really stereotypical Alien Samurai type character from a 90s-00s sci-fi TV show.

Javik is cool and real and he's my friend

also his voice files leaked early and it caused thousands of nerds to have a conniption about A JAMAICAN ALIEN IN MY MASS EFFECT (Javik's voice actor is not Jamaican)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

Javik was one of the pre-order DLCs. I can see that, but he's also a massive dick with a superiority complex and whose not afraid to show it. Interestingly he isn't the total lore dump you might first think he was going to be. He talks about being born centuries after the war started and only being exposed to the military side of things vs lots of the cultural or science side. It's neat getting a skewed narrator vs all knowing.

Pattonesque posted:

Javik is cool and real and he's my friend

also his voice files leaked early and it caused thousands of nerds to have a conniption about A JAMAICAN ALIEN IN MY MASS EFFECT (Javik's voice actor is not Jamaican)

Which is so bizarre considering he sounds like a person from a former English speaking colony in Africa (say Nigeria). I can't even imagine where people would think Jamaican.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

gfanikf posted:

Which is so bizarre considering he sounds like a person from a former English speaking colony in Africa (say Nigeria). I can't even imagine where people would think Jamaican.

well, nerds, you know

anyway, here's a video of the Mass Effect ride:

https://www.facebook.com/ign/videos/10153772570716633/

skip to like 3 minutes or so

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

gfanikf posted:

Javik was one of the pre-order DLCs. I can see that, but he's also a massive dick with a superiority complex and whose not afraid to show it. Interestingly he isn't the total lore dump you might first think he was going to be. He talks about being born centuries after the war started and only being exposed to the military side of things vs lots of the cultural or science side. It's neat getting a skewed narrator vs all knowing.

It annoyed me that he knew a lot of what would've been obscure evolutionary xenobiology trivia in his days, like anything at all about the Salarians or Asari.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mymla posted:

It annoyed me that he knew a lot of what would've been obscure evolutionary xenobiology trivia in his days, like anything at all about the Salarians or Asari.

I think he was making most of that up to gently caress with people

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pattonesque posted:

I think he was making most of that up to gently caress with people

I thought this too. I mean I wouldn't be shocked if he knew some stuff based on military analysis of a species potential or in this case knowing things about species not currently having potential.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

gfanikf posted:

People don't know accents. A lot of Mass Effect fans think Miranda is supposed to be British.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

My Q-Face posted:

Hey hey Hey, Zaeed every day! :zaeed:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Has anyone checked out the ME3 ending mod JohnP's Alternate MEHEM? I did some shopping around for mods, and lots of people said this, plus the mod that adds the cut Anderson dialog at the end of the game, really made the end far more satisfying. I'm finally getting around to doing my ME3 full dlc run and I don't want to dread the ending the entire way through.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

panda clue posted:

Has anyone checked out the ME3 ending mod JohnP's Alternate MEHEM? I did some shopping around for mods, and lots of people said this, plus the mod that adds the cut Anderson dialog at the end of the game, really made the end far more satisfying. I'm finally getting around to doing my ME3 full dlc run and I don't want to dread the ending the entire way through.

Play the game + don't be babby.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just play ME1 until you go to Ilos. Then play 2 and 3. Then when you enter the beam, switch back to Ilos and finish the game.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hedrigall posted:

People don't know accents. A lot of Mass Effect fans think Miranda is supposed to be British.

British or space british whatever man

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I remember when the first Dragon Age came out a lot of goons were mocking Leliana's obviously fake French accent and as it turns out her actress was a native French speaker.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

panda clue posted:

Just play the game. Don't be afraid of your feelings, my friend.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Play the game + don't be babby.

no thanks, id rather just remove the star child sequence entirely rather than pretend it doesn't happen in my head

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe it's changed since I looked it up on Youtube, but it looked embarrassingly awful. One sequence, I'm pretty sure had an author self insert radio the Normandy (with terrible audio quality) that his ship would provide covering fire while they rescued Shepard.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Veotax posted:

Maybe it's changed since I looked it up on Youtube, but it looked embarrassingly awful. One sequence, I'm pretty sure had an author self insert radio the Normandy (with terrible audio quality) that his ship would provide covering fire while they rescued Shepard.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the original MEHEM, which tried to actually add a bunch of random content. In the 'alternate' he's apparently removed that dumb bullshit, and just stole a scene from that mod that puts Shep in the memorial scene on the ship, and adds some more end slides.

Also, since this was the first time I was even made aware of its existence, anyone know why the dialogue between Shep and Anderson in the last sequence was so heavily cut?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

panda clue posted:

no thanks, id rather just remove the star child sequence entirely rather than pretend it doesn't happen in my head

Shameful

Anderson's final dialogue was cut down because it was too long, and the ME3 ending already has major pacing issues as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It's perfect in every way

• Locked thread