Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

other jobs

Other...jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

hourly employees are already OT eligible, so cutting their wages wouldn't do anything.

they would cut their hours if anything, but then you have work not being done and you'd have to hire a second person to do that work and a second person is more expensive.
Yeah but wouldn't cutting everybody's wages by the amount necessary to bring their compensation to 40*newlowwage + 1.5*OT*newlowwage = (40+OT)*oldhighwage be something that lovely reprehensible employers would all attempt? So like if oldhighwage is $11/hr and OT=20, then newlowwage=$9.42/hr to keep the same overall compensation

WampaLord posted:

I'd imagine the first company to try that would lose a lot of talent. Employees at that level have enough skills to seek other jobs if they find out their wages are being hosed with.
Yeah but that didn't stop them from being currently hosed over did it

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

also yes, a lot of the WORST FEARING over poo poo like this is taken care of by actual market forces

Aren't we finally starting to see wages increase on the aggregate? Which is already fueling market fears of "oh poo poo dividends might go down because the plebs are expecting more money!" i suppose.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Yeah but wouldn't cutting everybody's wages by the amount necessary to bring their compensation to 40*newlowwage + 1.5*OT*newlowwage = (40+OT)*oldhighwage be something that lovely reprehensible employers would all attempt? So like if oldhighwage is $11/hr and OT=20, then newlowwage=$9.42/hr to keep the same overall compensation

the people effected by this rule are salary employees who, by nature, don't have an hourly wage. doing what you propose would be a billion times more complicated than just giving them a raise to be over the threshold.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

lovely companies are always going to find ways to be lovely, but hopefully this will take away some of their tools and force them to be more blatant about their shittiness.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

the people effected by this rule are salary employees who, by nature, don't have an hourly wage. doing what you propose would be a billion times more complicated than just giving them a raise to be over the threshold.
Honestly I don't agree with this, what I'm describing is a simple middle-school algebra problem that is much cheaper than raising everybody's wages

Hope you're all right or more protections get added to prevent this fuckery

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

theflyingorc posted:

Cop death rate stuff
lol, cops need to quit being terrified of traffic stops. (I read some new stuff)

quote:

Minnesota state troopers conducted more than 1 million traffic stops in the past three years, an average of about 360,000 annually, according to State Trooper Lt. Eric Roeske

quote:

According to FBI Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted reports, 62 officers were killed during traffic stops from 2003 to 2012.

Note that the first number is just Minnesota, and the second is nationally. 6 officers a year (out of millions!) are killed during traffic stops, and they perform millions upon millions of them a year. This is like surfers worrying about shark attacks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Honestly I don't agree with this, what I'm describing is a simple middle-school algebra problem that is much cheaper than raising everybody's wages

Hope you're all right or more protections get added to prevent this fuckery

converting non-hourly employees to hourly employees is way more complicated than just giving them a small raise

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

converting non-hourly employees to hourly employees is way more complicated than just giving them a small raise
.... because?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Because telling someone you're going to pay their base pay as less than they're being paid now is a good way to lose a lot of employees?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because telling someone you're going to pay their base pay as less than they're being paid now is a good way to lose a lot of employees?
OK I don't want to take over the thread so I'll shut up, but this sounds super naive

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It's more difficult from a planning perspective on the employer's part, and also makes PTO, sick-time, and the like more complicated (although, honestly, I have to wonder if these places are already gaming the overtime rules, how likely are they to offer PTO and sick time?).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I'm not against the new rules, but what would stop some lovely employer from reclassifying low-grade managers as hourly "leads," cutting their wages and keeping the same amount of overtime, with overall compensation about the same?

:confused:

If you're getting paid under the new annual amount, you can't be exempt unless you fall under very specific job descriptions that the states and feds have had for a long time. Such as train operators, theater workers, film workers, and others. For example, most of the exempt jobs in Texas are farm and ranching related.

It doesn't matter if you fall under the "executive" exemption, as long as you're under the new annual salary you can't be exempt. Read that ppt I linked to earlier.

The one thing DOL needs to change is the number of subordinates required to classify someone as "management." It's currently two. Obama had discussed upping that to five, or something, a few years ago and I'm not sure if that's going to happen. It really should, but the raise in the salary threshold is far more important to handle and will tide people over until more can be changed.

Lemming posted:

lovely companies are always going to find ways to be lovely, but hopefully this will take away some of their tools and force them to be more blatant about their shittiness.

Yeah this is why this is such a big deal. Very few companies will be able to get around this change and that's a great thing for much of the country.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 18, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

OK I don't want to take over the thread so I'll shut up, but this sounds super naive

There are a number of rules about exempt employees vs non-exempt employees that switching to hourly involves, versus just giving them a raise and still getting tons of free OT off them (also because most of them are going to be working a bunch of overtime, like to the tune of 15-20 hrs a week on that front) which means to make your model work, you're going to be drastically reducing their base pay.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Currently on CNN:

DONALD TRUMP'S WIFE: "HE'S NOT HITLER"

well guys I'm convinced.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SSNeoman posted:

Currently on CNN:

well guys I'm convinced.

Not inaccurate, I've thought for a while that his closest analogue was actually Mussolini.

edit:
vvvvvv My man! vvvvvv

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SSNeoman posted:

Currently on CNN:

well guys I'm convinced.

Well, he's not.

He's Mussolini with hair.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Also the idea that they will just find some other way of screwing over their employees isn't a reason to not change this stupid loophole allowing them to screw over their employees.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Well, he's not.

http://i.imgur.com/B75GCQW.gifv

as if trump could make trains run on time, dude failed at running an airline

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There are a number of rules about exempt employees vs non-exempt employees that switching to hourly involves, versus just giving them a raise and still getting tons of free OT off them (also because most of them are going to be working a bunch of overtime, like to the tune of 15-20 hrs a week on that front) which means to make your model work, you're going to be drastically reducing their base pay.

Of course, that's exactly what I would expect the Hitler wife to say.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Is there a word for the arzying that happens when something unabashedly good happens and people are like "well I'm sure they'll find a way to gently caress us over even harder!"

Like pessimism, but more thread specific I suppose

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WampaLord posted:

I'd imagine the first company to try that would lose a lot of talent. Employees at that level have enough skills to seek other jobs if they find out their wages are being hosed with.

Yeah like how when silicon valley's massive wage-fixing racket was uncovered it caused a lot of people to leave the companies that had been loving them for years...

...oh wait.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Zelder posted:

Is there a word for the arzying that happens when something unabashedly good happens and people are like "well I'm sure they'll find a way to gently caress us over even harder!"

liberal fatalism

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Of course, that's exactly what I would expect the Hitler wife to say.

i think you quoted the wrong post

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Zelder posted:

Experience

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah like how when silicon valley's massive wage-fixing racket was uncovered it caused a lot of people to leave the companies that had been loving them for years...

...oh wait.

Wasn't the issue that the companies were working together to gently caress over everyone's salaries? Meaning you couldn't really go to a new job because most of the major players were also in on the racket?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

We're really going to have to wait and see how companies try to game the system with the new rule.

We've got a reasonable example with the ACA, though. You had companies like O'Reilly's (Papa John's, etc) not allowing any of their hourly workers to have more than like twenty-eight hours a week and in response all of their experienced staff took off to get jobs at places that weren't terrified of the ACA. Now all their locations are staffed by people that know little or nothing about cars. I haven't seen any studies on whether or not that had a noticeable impact on customer satisfaction, but I've been going to the same two locations for over ten years and the experience has been getting steadily worse since the ACA went into effect.

Anecdotal, sure, but the same thing happened when Circuit City, trying to avoid bankruptcy, fired all of it's highest paid floor salespeople nationwide and customers left in droves (leading to CC going under). Turns out when you get rid of your most skilled employees, your most loyal customers notice.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Also the idea that they will just find some other way of screwing over their employees isn't a reason to not change this stupid loophole allowing them to screw over their employees.

I'm sorry, sir, but the only solution is the very best solution possible and anything less is a waste of time :goonsay:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 18, 2016

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Zelder posted:

Wasn't the issue that the companies were working together to gently caress over everyone's salaries? Meaning you couldn't really go to a new job because most of the major players were also in on the racket?
Yeah that racket is the unionless labor market. Hope I'm wrong and you're all right or at least this is just a first step

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

theflyingorc posted:

lol, cops need to quit being terrified of traffic stops. (I read some new stuff)

Note that the first number is just Minnesota, and the second is nationally. 6 officers a year (out of millions!) are killed during traffic stops, and they perform millions upon millions of them a year. This is like surfers worrying about shark attacks.

Pretty sure that at this rate a cop is gonna be more likely to die in a car accident by a fair amount.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zelder posted:

I think so, and also it's a little bit hard to feel too bad, since they were getting paid insane amounts of money instead of deliriously insane amounts of money (not to say the behavior was in any way excusable, it's just a little bit hard to get too worked up on the behalf of people who were only able to afford buying a small island instead of their own country).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc
Man, can you imagine what the world would look like if all the tech industry of the 90's had unionized instead of sucking on Ayn Rand's contract pay for life dick?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Man, can you imagine what the world would look like if all the tech industry of the 90's had unionized instead of sucking on Ayn Rand's contract pay for life dick?

A nightmare hellscape in which the only way to get from one place to the other is to call a taxi? I don't think so.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zelder posted:

This right here. I'm not going to argue it isn't a good thing. I just see businesses trying their damnedest to get around the guidelines and screw the employees. I've seen this happen before.
poo poo this USA today article outlines a couple of ways being discussed to do so.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/05/17/overtime-pay-eligible-employees-workers/84504890/

This Forbes article explains how to do some of it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/groupthink/2016/05/04/overtime-rule-changes-are-coming-is-your-business-ready/#175b75325f56

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A woman in Connecticut got screamed at for being "disgusting" in a bathroom. She has a pixie cut because she donated her hair to a child cancer charity and got mistaken for a trans woman.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Because implementation of a timecard system (or rolling those formerly salaried employees into the existing timecard system) is not free. There's all manner of additional costs in tracking and reporting hours worked that aren't massive on an individual basis but when you consider needing to do it organization-wide it adds up. If you've got 40 people sitting at $45k and you need to either give them a raise to $48k ($120k total) or hire 3 new back-office staff (let's say at the same $45k each, and for simplicity assume the hiring process is free - $155k) to handle the additional reporting and tracking needs going forward, plus pay $???? in license fees for your timecard system because you're adding users (again assuming it's free to do the admin work of adding the additional profiles) and you can start to see how those costs start looking like a bad deal compared to the $120k in raises for your 40 salaried people.

Seriously most companies are just going to just give raises to bump their exempt employees over the threshold. They might send out a pithy letter if they're that timeshare guy but for the most part they demand enough OT work out of those employees that a modest raise isn't going to be larger than paying OT.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

See this wouldn't be happening if Obama didn't poke the hornets nest and force people to be monsters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FAUXTON posted:

Because implementation of a timecard system (or rolling those formerly salaried employees into the existing timecard system) is not free. There's all manner of additional costs in tracking and reporting hours worked that aren't massive on an individual basis but when you consider needing to do it organization-wide it adds up. If you've got 40 people sitting at $45k and you need to either give them a raise to $48k ($120k total) or hire 3 new back-office staff (let's say at the same $45k each, and for simplicity assume the hiring process is free - $155k) to handle the additional reporting and tracking needs going forward, plus pay $???? in license fees for your timecard system because you're adding users (again assuming it's free to do the admin work of adding the additional profiles) and you can start to see how those costs start looking like a bad deal compared to the $120k in raises for your 40 salaried people.

Seriously most companies are just going to just give raises to bump their exempt employees over the threshold. They might send out a pithy letter if they're that timeshare guy but for the most part they demand enough OT work out of those employees that a modest raise isn't going to be larger than paying OT.

Yeah this will happen and the next bump is scheduled for 2020 to 50k. Giving companies time to design a in house time clock system if they would like.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I was seriously hoping that wesearch was going to be Quora but with paid bounties just so I could give people money for posting evidence for "Did noted Twitter troll Charles C Johnson defecate on a dormitory floor?" on shitter's own site.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Well, he's not.

"with"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, good, this is still happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

as if trump could make trains run on time, dude failed at running an airline

He didn't really make the trains run on time. But people believed he did because he marketed himself as the best train manager!

• Locked thread