Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Torchy's is what some piece of poo poo SF SV VC thinks Austin is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Meh. It's like a subjective category, or something, man.

But if the RGV collectively sacks and burns Austin because of it then that's OK too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It was so sad when Obama came to Austin and went to Torchy's. You just know that trip was caused by some intern who thinks they know Austin way better than they do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

Meh. It's like a subjective category, or something, man.

Are you from California

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The best tacos are from either unnamed places in a gas station or shacks in a parking lot labeled "Tacos" and nothing else.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Well-to-do white people choose white people tacos as best tacos. :monocle:

Kinda surprised they didn't vote the McDonald's wraps as best taco.

zoux posted:

Torchy's is what some piece of poo poo SF SV VC thinks Austin is like.

They're certainly doing a good job of making that transformation happen. Give them a few more years and they'll have SXSW moved to Round Rock so they can have some peace and quiet.

Lote posted:

The best tacos are from either unnamed places in a gas station or shacks in a parking lot labeled "Tacos" and nothing else.

Bonus points if you have to pay the gringo tax.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only get my tacos from places that have a number after the name.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lote posted:

This is legit advice.

Another good alternative is to find out where the hung over mariachi singers congregate.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
anywhere east of downtown in Houston, before you hit 610

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
About Texas being a laughing stock. Yes. Texans are perceived as crazy and insecure. It's true. They're also right.

I have only had two conversations go south when the other party learned I was from Texas. One was a hobo in Canada. The other was a super left-wing girl who flipped out on me at a party. It was surreal.

This was right around the time of the Waco biker shootout. She learned I was from Texas and started talking about how the bikers had white privilege because of how they were treated by the cops. But the tone was strange, accusatory. And like the genius I am, I said well, the police fired into the crowd...

Bad move. Things got heated. I remember being told I didn't care about black people.

I politely excused myself. Then I learned later she ranted about me to our mutual friends and that I didn't know what it was like to live as a minority. And my friends had to tell her that I was gay.

lol and this was in South Carolina which is its own bag of crazy.

Not bad though. Actually pretty funny.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 18, 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Torchy's isn't even particularly good for White People Tacos

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Are you from California
Dallas.

You don't even know white people tacos my friend. We have Taco Casa up here. Taco. Casa. They play (U.S.) country music in there and have Fox News on the TVs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I loving love Torchy's

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you can order in English with out having to pantomime or point then the place is already suspect.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Torchy's is decent but it's not Mexican food. They had some Thai-inspired thing called the Tuk Tuk that was $6 for one goddamn taco.

zoux posted:

I only get my tacos from places that have a number after the name.

Doesn't hold up for pizza. I refuse to visit Via 313 because my friends will not shut the gently caress up about it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I refuse to visit Via 313 because my friends will not shut the gently caress up about it.

so edgy of you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I refuse to go to Frank. or Lick. Because, come the gently caress on.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
El Paso has "tacos" that can be pretty good.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I live near a place called Taqueria Pizzeria, the best of both worlds and they don't speak English.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Torchys serves their entire menu all day which gives them one hell of a boost in my opinion.

zoux posted:

I really really don't think this issue has legs. I think the social conservatives are going to be well chastised following a presidential election in which none of their pet issues were pandered to and are going to be meek as gently caress by the time January rolls around.

Not to mention we'll have a better sense about how courts and the public are going to react to legislation like this, and so far it ain't in the favor of Dan Patrick etal.

That would be true if those in charge were Perry-like politicians who prioritize pandering for votes and graft over principles. But Abbot, Patrick, Paxton, and a whole bunch of state reps and senators are true believers and that type always doubles down.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:negative:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oklahoma South.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Oklahoma South.
I have an Okie accent too.

Purge the abomination!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ray Wiley's from Okie so it's a decent place in my book

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also my theory as to why Texans are fond of New Mexico is latent imperial ambitions. It is Texas' natural lebensraum.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wikkheiser posted:

I have an Okie accent too.

Purge the abomination!

Are you from Muskogee?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No. I just noticed the accent after moving to Austin and hearing some differences. And some of those accent tests that detect regional vocab. Dallas is more akin to Oklahoma than other parts of Texas.

And mom's from the Panhandle so

Now I'm back in DFW and eating white people tacos.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Wikkheiser posted:

Also my theory as to why Texans are fond of New Mexico is latent imperial ambitions. It is Texas' natural lebensraum.

It's our Alsace-Lorraine, domestic politics version.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It's our Alsace-Lorraine, domestic politics version.

came here to post this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Though I have a friend from Monclova, Coahuila that always when he comes to visit likes to bring up that it used to be the capital of Coahuila y Tejas

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Look in the Texas section at any Half Price for a book called "Imperial Texas" or something like that. Old academic book. Idea being that New Mexico was way back in the day the natural direction for Texas expansionism because populated Mexico to the south wasn't gonna cut it, and the nation was hemmed in from the east. And hey that was what one of the political factions in pre-annexation Texas tried ... and resolutely failed to do thanks to an intervention by the Mexican armed forces.

And anecdotal stories from New Mexicans about all the goddamn Texans there during the summer.

We covet their lands greedily.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 18, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sir Tonk posted:

They're certainly doing a good job of making that transformation happen. Give them a few more years and they'll have SXSW moved to Round Rock so they can have some peace and quiet.

Every SXSW season the papers down here in SA talk about how maybe this will be the year a talk or party or anything really will get moved here and from there it'll just snowball and soon we'll get to sit at the cool kids table during lunch!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Aliquid posted:

Torchy's is decent but it's not Mexican food. They had some Thai-inspired thing called the Tuk Tuk that was $6 for one goddamn taco.

Doesn't hold up for pizza. I refuse to visit Via 313 because my friends will not shut the gently caress up about it.

360 Pizza is good though, that has a number in it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

duz posted:

Every SXSW season the papers down here in SA talk about how maybe this will be the year a talk or party or anything really will get moved here and from there it'll just snowball and soon we'll get to sit at the cool kids table during lunch!

Oh god you can have the whole loving thing please.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

duz posted:

Y'all are welcome to it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Oh god you can have the whole loving thing please.

Remember when they released that report threatening to leave the city? It should be illegal to get someone's hopes up like that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I paid $8 for a Lone Star. Never again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yesterday on the way to work, I take S. First into downtown since Mopac is hosed and they had some off-duty cop at 2nd street stopping traffic on a green light so that a line of pedicabs, each with a tech bro in the back attending the Open Souce Con at the W, could convey them into their venue without the indignity of having to wait to cross. Traffic was backed up almost all the way to Oltorf.

The way this town bends over backwards to increase its national profile while making things terrible for current residents really pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

duz posted:

SXSW on the riverwalk would be pretty awesome and I"d rather go to that.

zoux posted:

Yesterday on the way to work, I take S. First into downtown since Mopac is hosed and they had some off-duty cop at 2nd street stopping traffic on a green light so that a line of pedicabs, each with a tech bro in the back attending the Open Souce Con at the W, could convey them into their venue without the indignity of having to wait to cross. Traffic was backed up almost all the way to Oltorf.

Too bad hurricanes never reach that far inland...