Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Terminal Entropy posted:

Old Grand Dad bonded is suppose to be pretty good.

It is, that's my cheap whiskey right now. It makes a good cocktail, but I think it's too strong on the edges to pour as a quick nip.

kidsafe posted:

Nothing new is terribly interesting to me.

* Four Roses Single Barrel is still my go-to and it's $40 exactly here in California.
* Basil Hayden's is still a great introductory bourbon to keep around for non-bourbon drinkers you may be hosting.
* For mixing, I pretty much stick to Bulleit.

Actually, I might want to get Four Roses Single Barrel next. That was a good 'quick nip' pour.

wormil posted:

New and interesting? Nah. Everything new around here has been $45+ and after a few bombs I don't bother unless I get a solid recommendation.

I'll throw this out there just in case you haven't tried it --- Fighting Cock is arguably the best value under $20. The only other contenders are EW1783, and AAA. IMO, now that OGD100 has moved beyond $20, FC is the best bourbon under $20.

Fighting cock might be on the list, I don't think I've ever tried that. Is AAA Ancient Age ? I don't think NJ gets it, I've been keeping my eye out for awhile at places that move alot of the other Buffalo Trace stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jahoodie posted:

Fighting cock might be on the list, I don't think I've ever tried that. Is AAA Ancient Age ? I don't think NJ gets it, I've been keeping my eye out for awhile at places that move alot of the other Buffalo Trace stuff.

AAA = Ancient Ancient Age. Less common than the other types. Here they only sell it in 1.75L bottles. AA 10 Star is pretty good too in it's price range.

OGD100 has been my regular bourbon for quite awhile. There was a time when it wasn't among my favorites but now it's up there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I found that the liquor store 1/4 miles from here has Evan Williams 1783 for $17 when it was $19-20 at a bigger store several years ago. Pretty happy about that. I didn't think it was great for the price back then, but now it is. <$20 whiskey found.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I found that the liquor store 1/4 miles from here has Evan Williams 1783 for $17 when it was $19-20 at a bigger store several years ago. Pretty happy about that. I didn't think it was great for the price back then, but now it is. <$20 whiskey found.

In my opinion, the Single Barrel is worth the extra five bucks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
1783 is a good choice for cooking as its sweet and mild.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Graduation gift from my parents:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jo3sh posted:

Graduation gift from my parents:

Let me know what you think! I was just considering picking up a sherried scotch.

quote:

Has Buffalo Trace gone up in price in the past few years? I remember it being $20-21, $18 on sale. I just went to a liquor store yesterday planning on buying it and it was up to $25. Is that just the store?

It's still $19 for me in the Bay Area.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 18, 2016

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

So I find myself in Dublin for a few months and while I'm here it would be a shame to miss out on the awesome wider selection available to me (whiskey selection is VERY limited where I live full time). The major shop that seems to be nearby is this one: http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/ which I wholly plan on visiting, but I'm not sure what I should try to avail myself of when I pay them a visit, or if there are any other particular shops that deserve a look. I'm willing to try just about anything, but I'm of course limited by budget and I'd like to get smaller bottles where possible, since I'm a slow drinker, want to not spend too much money, and don't want to go through the hassle of bringing too much back.

I've tried several of the Ardbegs and Aberlours (though not 12 Non-CF), Laphroaig 10 and QC, Talisker 10, Dalwhinnie, Highland Park 12, Macallan 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Yamazaki 12, Jamesons 12 and 15 and Red Breasts 12 and 15. I've obviously got (more than) a bit of a scotch bias, but I'm definitely willing to go for Irish whiskeys if recommended.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Let me know what you think! I was just considering picking up a sherried scotch.

I'll try to post something about it when I open it, but I have a cold right now so I am not in best tasting condition. Might be a while.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

In my opinion, the Single Barrel is worth the extra five bucks.

It's $31 here, so an extra $14. I'm also unemployed, so I'm not buying anything expensive right now.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I like A'bunadh a lot :3:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's $31 here, so an extra $14. I'm also unemployed, so I'm not buying anything expensive right now.

Yikes. I just replaced my bottle for $20.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

So I find myself in Dublin for a few months and while I'm here it would be a shame to miss out on the awesome wider selection available to me (whiskey selection is VERY limited where I live full time).

Go to the Irish Whiskey Museum. In addition to a great tasting, I found the museum portion engaging and entertaining. Also, the last night I was there a place had a whiskey flight of Redbreast 15, Bushmills 21 and one other for a pretty reasonable price, for the novelty at least. I'll try to figure out where it was when I get home.

- edit it was The Bull and Castle.

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 21, 2016

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010
I turned 30 recently and arranged my party for May 21st (World Whisky Day).

Planning to open all my old whiskies (excuse bad photos):

So the whiskies are in age order:
Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
Highland Park 25yo
Cadenheads 29yo Benriach-Glenlivet (1986)
Conn. Choice 29yo Banff (1976)
SMWS 30yo 41.61 (Dailuaine) (1984)
Montgomeries Single Cask 32yo Clynelish (1974)
Murray McDavid Mission 33yo Glen Grant (1969)

A few were quite recent but some of them as you can tell from the ages that I've sat on them for a few years. Looking forward to getting some of them open but to do them full justice I will likely need to let them breathe a bit first. The first dram I find is a bit misleading.

Slainte!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

No background katana, 0/10

(holy drat those are some old-rear end scotches)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I've had this a few times recently, and it's great imo.

Really smooth (especially for its age) with heavy peat, made in OR.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

I've had this a few times recently, and it's great imo.

Really smooth (especially for its age) with heavy peat, made in OR.

McCarthy's is fantastic! One of my favorites.

I picked up a bottle of James E. Pepper 1776 rye the other day and was pretty disappointed. There's a tobacco/asphalt note that seems to dominate. It can be interesting neat but it didn't do well in cocktails. All in all I'd say that Rittenhouse or Bulliet rye are both tastier and more versatile at that price.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Jo3sh posted:

I'll try to post something about it when I open it, but I have a cold right now so I am not in best tasting condition. Might be a while.

I know what will clear that cold right up...

A'bunadh was one of the first scotches in my collection where I read tasting notes and immediately understood what they were getting at. It tastes exactly like Christmas fruit cake to me. I open it up with a bit of water though, because at cask strength it is wild and hard to taste (for my palate anyway)

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yikes. I just replaced my bottle for $20.

Single Barrel is $30 here, too. 1783 is $15.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Single barrel has actually come down to $27 here since I had last looked, but that's still an extra $10. But when I went to the liquor store today, they had handles of 1783 for $28, so that's what I got.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

The problem I have with 1783 is it's so good for the price (in my opinion, anyways) that I haven't really tried many other bourbons, which I need to do since I'm still pretty new to the whiskey scene.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

emotive posted:

The problem I have with 1783 is it's so good for the price (in my opinion, anyways) that I haven't really tried many other bourbons, which I need to do since I'm still pretty new to the whiskey scene.

Go find Old Grand-dad 114.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

emotive posted:

The problem I have with 1783 is it's so good for the price

I mentioned it a few pages back but try Fighting Cock, same price range but better IMO. 1783 is good for the price but I find it a bit too mild and one note. You may enjoy Elijah Craig 12, it's sweet but a more complex bourbon.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Go find Old Grand-dad 114.

OGD114 is 20-something here, though. Maybe my prices are just out of whack.

I considered fighting cock but one of the reviews I saw was that it was super burny. Is it worse than Turkey 101?

Elijah Craig 12 is in the 30s here.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I'm definitely not opposed to spending 30 bucks on a bottle of quality stuff. Hell, I spend that much on a 750 of Jameson...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I just had a bottle of Fighting Cock based on recommendations in this thread and I liked it a lot. If you are pretty intolerant of the "burn" then just add some water. My girlfriend disliked it exactly as much as she disliked Wild Turkey until a few cubes of ice were melted in and then she enjoyed it just fine. Personally, I thought it was quite a bit less hot than WT101.

After NW Whiskey Fest here in Portland I sprung for a bottle of A'Bunadh. The dude at the Aberlour booth gave us a flight of their whiskeys (I think the 12, 16, 18, and A'Bunadh) and goddamn the stuff is just really really good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

OGD114 is 20-something here, though. Maybe my prices are just out of whack.

I considered fighting cock but one of the reviews I saw was that it was super burny. Is it worse than Turkey 101?

Elijah Craig 12 is in the 30s here.

Are sure that wasn't EC single barrel?

Well FC is a cheap rip of WT101, but is good in it's own right. I find it a tad sweeter. I don't feel the burn anymore so I can't help with that question. 101 is how I got into bourbon I feel its more approachable than any of the Beams.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the single barrel also marked 12 years? That was the first time I've found it in the wild, so I could have been looking at the wrong thing. I've wanted to get a bottle for a while, but at that price it's going to be another while.

I also saw Benchmark 8 recommended on a <$20 bourbon recommendation list, how is that? I'm kind of leery at buying a $10 bottle of bourbon, I just don't expect it to be any good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the single barrel also marked 12 years?

Actually nevermind. Apparently EC12 jumped to $28 here too, even though it was at $19 for the longest time; and they removed the 12 year statement so it just says "small batch". For some reason all this got twisted in my brain. The single barrel is a 23 year product. I was thinking of the barrel proof which is new I think and also a 12 year product. Basically gently caress me and gently caress Heaven Hill.

I've never tried Benchmark 8, don't even know what it looks like. Evan Williams or Ancient Ancient Age are as cheap as I've ever gone.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

Actually nevermind. Apparently EC12 jumped to $28 here too, even though it was at $19 for the longest time; and they removed the 12 year statement so it just says "small batch". For some reason all this got twisted in my brain. The single barrel is a 23 year product. I was thinking of the barrel proof which is new I think and also a 12 year product. Basically gently caress me and gently caress Heaven Hill.

I've never tried Benchmark 8, don't even know what it looks like. Evan Williams or Ancient Ancient Age are as cheap as I've ever gone.

So you don't know the beauty of Old Crow?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stultus Maximus posted:

So you don't know the beauty of Old Crow?

No, should I?

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

wormil posted:

No, should I?

"Beauty" is a loose definition. Similarly a meth'd out truck stop hooker is a "beauty" after too much Old Crow.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

Actually nevermind. Apparently EC12 jumped to $28 here too, even though it was at $19 for the longest time; and they removed the 12 year statement so it just says "small batch".

From what I understand they changed the label to have the age on the back instead of the front, years ago. Idk why but maybe to "prepare" the consumer for a NAS version?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

No, should I?

It's probably the cheapest stuff that still qualifies as bourbon (stuff like Early Times and Ten High are now blended with neutral grain spirits). If you ever feel like your life has gotten too fancy and you need to remind yourself of the harsh realities that your ancestors had to put up with, Old Crow is where to go. It's not good but it's still bourbon.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

From what I understand they changed the label to have the age on the back instead of the front, years ago. Idk why but maybe to "prepare" the consumer for a NAS version?

That was exactly it. Same thing that's happening with Eagle Rare right now. Midrange products are being gutted left and right.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spankmeister posted:

AFAIK, it was only months ago, not years. I don't believe I've ever seen a bottom of EC12 without the 12 on front until very recently.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

A'Bunadh trip report:

This bottle is batch number 52, bottled straight off the cask at 60.5% I know it's unfiltered, and I think it's uncolored as well.

I definitely see where this comment comes from:

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

It tastes exactly like Christmas fruit cake to me.

It has a ton of things going on in the nose. Because of all the heavy fruit notes and the wine from the cask, it does indeed come across a lot like fruitcake made by that one aunt who likes a tipple. There's so much alcohol vapor that a bright citrusy thing pops through all the dark fruit and wine.

Taken neat, it's really overwhelming. It really fills the mouth and takes forever to fade. I spent minutes just letting the mouth of the glass get near my nose while my palate was busy. I added a bit of water - more than a drop, because there's about a bottle and a half of whisky in the bottle - and that broke up the heavy body a bit. Even cut, though, it's a big noser. I've been working on this for the better part of an hour, and now I am getting some spice to go with the orange.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

AFAIK, it was only months ago, not years. I don't believe I've ever seen a bottom of EC12 without the 12 on front until very recently.

Oh thought I read about them doing that a long time ago but I must be mistaken then. In any case it's pretty heinous.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Has anyone tried Johnnie Walker Blue Label? I've never actually seen a bottle of Johnnie Walker in the shops in the UK but recently saw a lot over in Cyprus. All seem to be blended whiskeys which makes me dubious of them from the get go. Blue Label seems to be outrageously priced..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Tangerines posted:

Has anyone tried Johnnie Walker Blue Label? I've never actually seen a bottle of Johnnie Walker in the shops in the UK but recently saw a lot over in Cyprus. All seem to be blended whiskeys which makes me dubious of them from the get go. Blue Label seems to be outrageously priced..

I've never tried it, and I know that you should avoid red label like the plague, but I've heard that their premium brands (blue label, black label) are actually very tasty.