Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What happens when a teacher says this

"...the first man who goes in the restroom with my daughter will not have to worry about surgery"

Welp

quote:

Because some of you already know and are contacting me about it, let me make it official and let you all know that I have been terminated from teaching at Hampden-Sydney College after nine years there. Hampden Sydney is the 10th oldest college in America and is one of the two Men's colleges left in ‪#‎America‬. Let me begin by saying that it is a fine school with some very good young men who give me hope for the future. There are also a few very good faculty members who I consider to be good friends and true patriots. They stood with me through this whole situation as the school made the decision to terminate me and I appreciate everything that these friends at the school did to try and help.

The bottom line is that I oppose these so called "‪#‎Bathroom‬" bills that let men go into women's locker rooms, showers, and toilets and I have been very public about it. When I said in Orlando that "...the first man who goes in the restroom with my daughter will not have to worry about surgery", the LGBT community once again came after me, claiming that I was calling for violence against ‪#‎transgender‬ people.

Well, that is simply not the case and I have never called for violence against anyone. I was referring to perverts who will use these policies to get into locker rooms with girls and women, and I object to that. My statement was meant to be humor and not a call for violence, which everyone in my audience understood as humor.

Nonetheless, I gave the LGBT community just what they needed to pressure the college leadership to terminate me and they did.

My personal view is that PC speech is smothering ‪#‎freespeech‬, a ‪#‎constitutional‬ right in America. Too many years in the ‪#‎Army‬ talking to soldiers still impedes my ability and willingness to say things that are not permissible under the PC rules and it has cost me a job. But I have not and will not change my position on men in women's showers and locker rooms.

I hope that moms and dads across America will stand up to this assault on women and girls. These bills are the epitome of disrespect and disregard for women and girls. There are already cases of men doing exactly what I feared would happen, from videoing a ten-year old girl in a gas station to choking a thirteen-year old girl and trying to abduct her. There are several other attacks in women's facilities that have recently been reported.

Folks, this is immoral and dangerous to allow predators to enter any place where a woman has the right to expect privacy and security. I hope that all who read this will take a stand to protect our wives, mothers, and daughters/granddaughters. This is not about what happened to me at the college. I am done there and the school will not miss me. It is a good school but it is changing like all colleges. Focus rather on the real issue of stopping the insanity that endangers the women and girls that we care about in our lives.

Take a stand with me and sign the petition below to push back at President ‪#‎Obama‬ and his executive overreach with the Department of Justice and Department of Education. Push back against these bathroom laws, and stand up if not for a moral reason, but for the safety of the women and young girls who would be put at risk.

I wonder who would defend this guy?

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/732955023064236032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The army has all kinds of regulations about what you can say.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

God drat Bush family ruining the country.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I always love how they seem to all have this big spiel on how "men" shouldn't be allowed in the women's room because it's such a terrible danger to the poor innocent women/girls, but no mention of trans men (whom they would probably also refer to as women) being in danger should they use the men's room.

Is it because they don't actually see trans men as women? Do they genuinely not think they exist? Are they assuming all cis men who use public restrooms are paragons of morality (just like themselves, obviously ) who would never dream of harming another person?

It's amusing and sad at the same time. Like a lot of this thread.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Parasol Prophet posted:

I always love how they seem to all have this big spiel on how "men" shouldn't be allowed in the women's room because it's such a terrible danger to the poor innocent women/girls, but no mention of trans men (whom they would probably also refer to as women) being in danger should they use the men's room.

Is it because they don't actually see trans men as women? Do they genuinely not think they exist? Are they assuming all cis men who use public restrooms are paragons of morality (just like themselves, obviously ) who would never dream of harming another person?

Men can't get raped, silly!

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Parasol Prophet posted:

The second two.

I also like Mr. College Professor talking about reports of attacks, without providing any further information whatsoever, and also only indicating that it was "men" propagating these attacks, and not specifying male-identifying people or transgender women.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

I have a right to be here as a man! Because I'm a father! And I feel the need to protect my daughter while going to the toilet, with deadly force if necessary, against sexual predators! This is normal. I'm normal. No men gonna come in here watching my daughter close a door behind her! Well, except for all the other dads standing next to me with their guns.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Parasol Prophet posted:

It's more like they are hateful people but they don't want to admit it so instead of saying "I am a hateful idiot" they say "we are doing this to protect our daughters".

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Cumslut1895 posted:

this whole waifu thing makes me so sad. it's like a bird feeding all it's food to a reflection of it's self in a mirror until it starves

Finally they sent a poet.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I cannot get over the loving stupidity of thinking that this poo poo never happened before the laws (somehow crating that law and then not applying it in certain stores created the problem :confused:) or that they believe gun free zone signs don't work but toilet signs will.

I just loving can't it's such a hilariously dumb position to take and such a lovely hill to die on that my brain refuses to contemplate it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RabbitWizard posted:

I have a right to be here as a man! Because I'm a father! And I feel the need to protect my daughter while going to the toilet, with deadly force if necessary, against sexual predators! This is normal. I'm normal. No men gonna come in here watching my daughter close a door behind her! Well, except for all the other dads standing next to me with their guns.

why is this twisted man in the women's bathroom with his daughter?

seems really suspicious

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

I cannot get over the loving stupidity of thinking that this poo poo never happened before the laws (somehow crating that law and then not applying it in certain stores created the problem :confused:) or that they believe gun free zone signs don't work but toilet signs will.

I just loving can't it's such a hilariously dumb position to take and such a lovely hill to die on that my brain refuses to contemplate it.

That teacher is for sure citing attacks that happened in states that don't have bathroom laws.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RabbitWizard posted:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I wish everyone in that picture would simultaneously pull the trigger.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is pretty much exactly what I pictured. Half a dozen dads in a public washroom having a good old fashioned Mexican Standoff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I guess this trans bathroom issue is pretty triggering for some people ehehehehehheheheh

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I pictured. Half a dozen dads in a public washroom having a good old fashioned Mexican Standoff.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Your honor, they were going into the bathroom with my daughter! I had to make sure they were actually girls!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Perfect

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

whats the story behind :cloe: anyways?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fathis Munk posted:

The religious right is doing it because they're still pissy about losing out on gay marriage.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

snergle posted:

whats the story behind :cloe: anyways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhuLkjl4iI

Kid unimpressed about Disneyland!

eta-It's REAALLLLY bothering me that the older kid isn't wearing a seatbelt.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 19:53 on May 18, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Today the idiot on social media is Google.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Rondette posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhuLkjl4iI

Kid unimpressed about Disneyland!

eta-It's REAALLLLY bothering me that the older kid isn't wearing a seatbelt.

OMG that is the cutest thing I've ever seen; those two girls are adorbs.

And, yeah, I noticed like a minute in, wait, why isn't she buckled?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TinTower posted:

Can't wait to get Naggers installed on my phone.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

captainOrbital posted:

OMG that is the cutest thing I've ever seen; those two girls are adorbs.

And, yeah, I noticed like a minute in, wait, why isn't she buckled?

They film loads of stuff, they are both really nice kids, and Chloe is pure comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaqcuPwscYc

"This is just how I chew"

I hope I have children as nice as this, and also can be as awesome a mum and go and beat up the burping men in their nightmares :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlL9Td1xBOs

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Oooh that little pouty face: it reminds me of my youngest son, who gets such a sad little face when he's down.

It makes me want to go to his school and squeeze his chubby little cheeks; I'm sure none of the kids would make fun of him after that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

captainOrbital posted:

Oooh that little pouty face: it reminds me of my youngest son, who gets such a sad little face when he's down.

It makes me want to go to his school and squeeze his chubby little cheeks; I'm sure none of the kids would make fun of him after that.

Grandma, is that you? I didn't know you had an SA account.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

TinTower posted:

Can't wait for Android NadolfHitlerDidNothingWrong

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Why Social Media Sucks

You've probably heard of Leonardo da Vinci.

You may have heard of the Antikythera Mechanism. It's an ancient analog computer which was designed to predict astronomical positions and eclipses for calendrical and astrological purposes. Also for the Olympiads, the cycles of the ancient Olympic Games. (From Wikipedia.) Yeah, they had brass gears and the like before 100BCE. It wasn't until the 1300's that they got "reinvented" again.

You may not of heard of Hero, though.

In case you didn't hear of him, the Greek inventor Hero (Heron) first invented the steam engine (the Hero engine, or aeolipile) in 10CE. Now, there wasn't much bloody use for it in Alexandria so it never really took traction as it were. Until you realize:

The ancient world had a number of rudimentary railways. Of course trains didn't run on them. They were grooved paths which had vehicles pulled, probably by a mix of horses/humans/gravity. The most famous was the Diolkos, crossing the narrowest section of the Isthmus of Corinth and allowed ships to be quickly transported overland. It operated from roughly 600BCE and was still going in the time of Hero.

If the two - steam and railways - had been combined, goodness would have happened.

Hero also created basic robotics. He mostly used his automatons to put on plays. His biggest achievement: a completely automated play that lasted for more than ten minutes. Supposedly each segment of the play had two different settings and could do different things depending upon how it was arranged (binary, anyone?). Apparantly it wasn't bad either, according to: Techgnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism In The Age Of Information.

Hero was not just an engineer - he was supposedly brilliant at mathematics and a great theoretician. He came up with the basics of Fermat's principle. He came up with the basics of optics which supposedly weren't improved on for a thousand years (by the Arab scientist Alhazen). He discovered Hero's formula and imaginary numbers. He played with the Pyramidal Frustum (here's the Wolfram|Alpha link if you're so inclined - it's basically a pyramid with the top chopped off).

He may even have invented wind-powered machinery. Nobody's quite sure about that. There just doesn't seem to be much in the way of information about them before he showed up.

So, 2000 years ago a prototype steam engine was created. Then what happened? Civilization declined.

It was 1600 years before the steam engine was effectively reinvented and put to use.

If we would stop listening to the banality of the herd, who are concerned only with their preening fucktardisms and the latest stupidity from the Cuntdashians, we might have traveled to the stars by now. We might have colonized other worlds. We wouldn't be limited to a single planet that we are currently polluting in various ways. We wouldn't be in the social situation where we are now.

The herd sucks.

Social media - the voice of the herd - sucks.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I have never met anyone who actively follows the Kardashians and knows the intimate details of their lives, but I've come across so many goddamn people genuinely upset at those theoretical folks who actually do.

Also ayy lmao citing Wikipedia as a source

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not knowing any of the Kardashians names is just as bad as knowing all of them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why Social Media Sucks

You've probably heard of Leonardo da Vinci.

You may have heard of the Antikythera Mechanism. It's an ancient analog computer which was designed to predict astronomical positions and eclipses for calendrical and astrological purposes. Also for the Olympiads, the cycles of the ancient Olympic Games. (From Wikipedia.) Yeah, they had brass gears and the like before 100BCE. It wasn't until the 1300's that they got "reinvented" again.

You may not of heard of Hero, though.

In case you didn't hear of him, the Greek inventor Hero (Heron) first invented the steam engine (the Hero engine, or aeolipile) in 10CE. Now, there wasn't much bloody use for it in Alexandria so it never really took traction as it were. Until you realize:

The ancient world had a number of rudimentary railways. Of course trains didn't run on them. They were grooved paths which had vehicles pulled, probably by a mix of horses/humans/gravity. The most famous was the Diolkos, crossing the narrowest section of the Isthmus of Corinth and allowed ships to be quickly transported overland. It operated from roughly 600BCE and was still going in the time of Hero.

If the two - steam and railways - had been combined, goodness would have happened.

Hero also created basic robotics. He mostly used his automatons to put on plays. His biggest achievement: a completely automated play that lasted for more than ten minutes. Supposedly each segment of the play had two different settings and could do different things depending upon how it was arranged (binary, anyone?). Apparantly it wasn't bad either, according to: Techgnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism In The Age Of Information.

Hero was not just an engineer - he was supposedly brilliant at mathematics and a great theoretician. He came up with the basics of Fermat's principle. He came up with the basics of optics which supposedly weren't improved on for a thousand years (by the Arab scientist Alhazen). He discovered Hero's formula and imaginary numbers. He played with the Pyramidal Frustum (here's the Wolfram|Alpha link if you're so inclined - it's basically a pyramid with the top chopped off).

He may even have invented wind-powered machinery. Nobody's quite sure about that. There just doesn't seem to be much in the way of information about them before he showed up.

So, 2000 years ago a prototype steam engine was created. Then what happened? Civilization declined.

It was 1600 years before the steam engine was effectively reinvented and put to use.

If we would stop listening to the banality of the herd, who are concerned only with their preening fucktardisms and the latest stupidity from the Cuntdashians, we might have traveled to the stars by now. We might have colonized other worlds. We wouldn't be limited to a single planet that we are currently polluting in various ways. We wouldn't be in the social situation where we are now.

The herd sucks.

Social media - the voice of the herd - sucks.

"Facebook is bad because it kept Ancient Greece from developing steam engine-powered robots."

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Who What Now posted:

Grandma, is that you? I didn't know you had an SA account.

Oh, sorry, sorry, sorry. I meant to say "crotchfruit."

Goddamn fuckin kids crying about disney princesses and I love war and finance and hot chicks like adam ant tatiana maslany

chitoryu12 posted:

"Facebook is bad because it kept Ancient Greece from developing steam engine-powered robots."

duh

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
"Civilization declined" starting in 10 AD?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Before the greeks even came around, cave people had invented both fire and aerodynamic pointy sticks. Why the gently caress didn't we have space rockets until less than a century ago, society?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Byzantine posted:

"Civilization declined" starting in 10 AD?

I have read that the Romans gave women super-rights similar to our current time. Then they went into faster decline. We can't go to space or anything similar as long as the same social dynamics recur. They would have to be permanently altered for the better. As of now this appears to be impossible.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I have read that the Romans gave women super-rights

Pfaahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

We can't go to space or anything similar as long as the same social dynamics recur.

If it weren't for those drat women and their super-rights, we'd have colonised Mars by now!