Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
"Buying poo poo for the sake of buying poo poo" is the weirdest addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Beer Camp 12 pack is good. The imperial brown is just a (pretty good)chocolate porter, the table beer with grits is like a tart adjunct lager, the rye new England ipa tastes like rotten crab apples after it warms up, the stout is dry and kinda unremarkable, and the imperial session ipa is a pretty good nw ipa. Not worth $30 by any means but worth buying once I guess.

"good"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

You mean collecting things?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I specifically like beer/brewing beer as a hobby because the products are consumable and won't be around for me to look at, sitting unused (I have reverse-hoarding [purging?] issues).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If 107 bottles is a "problem", I've got ~6 problems

but a bitch ain't one

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

If 107 bottles is a "problem", I've got ~6 problems

but a bitch ain't one

Build one out of beers.

edit: or drink until the stack of empties looks like one.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Maybe it'll turn into some Weird Science situation... Spontaneous Conception?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

nah you only need about 6 beers for that

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Cigarettes and Coffee is out! The line isn't too bad. It's a very nice day out. There is some sewer water outside that smells terrible in the loving sun.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

obi_ant posted:

Cigarettes and Coffee is out! The line isn't too bad. It's a very nice day out. There is some sewer water outside that smells terrible in the loving sun.

hmm that final sentence kind of contradicts the previous two

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

get any of the dipa they released at City Beer Store? the line looked like it was pretty long.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

get any of the dipa they released at City Beer Store? the line looked like it was pretty long.

I can see lining up for cycle stouts but lining up for a dipa?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Yeah. Got some of that too. Keg died about 5 minutes after got there. They are currently re tapping now. 300 steps is solid. Although, I wouldn't wait more than like 10 minutes in like for it...

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm assuming most people who lined up for that immediately went to Cellarmaker right after and got bottles of Coffee and Cigarettes. people have lined up for every Cellarmaker bottle release so far, even the pale ale. this is probably because they're like the only relevant brewery in the city.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Treehouse...

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

I'm glad I'm just addicted to drinking alcohol and not hoarding

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

danbanana posted:

Treehouse...

Monkish...

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zam posted:

Monkish...

Most recent release was fairly bad - there were around 240 people in line by 11 AM.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

Most recent release was fairly bad - there were around 240 people in line by 11 AM.

Oh gently caress that.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

I missed that release due to the Bruery anniversary, but had a friend there who arrived around 9 AM and was already about 50 in line. It's getting crazy, but at least the limits are high enough that you're walking away with a good amount of IPA for the wait. Plus now I can just keep bouncing between Highland Park and Monkish for all the IPA I could want.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

doesn't Monkish at least do their can releases on weekends?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Speaking of cities that offer a lot of beer but don't make a lot of great beer of their own, I was in Eugene for a bit last weekend.

They have tons of breweries around town these days, but a lot of them are not greatly memorable, especially if you hit a ton of them at once like me. A few are actively bad, such as Steelhead and their fresh hop IPA that they've got on tap in May. The majority are okay (Sam Bond's has a brown that makes it to Bend and is decent) but nothing worth traveling for. A few are really happening neighborhood places like Hop Valley/Ninkasi, but I didn't find anything that was pub-exclusive all that worth going out of your way for (and Ninkasi had none, for that matter). Agrarian Ales, out of town a bit, is a fun farmstead-style facility with a very cool vibe and an incredibly dog-friendly policy; I liked the saison stuff a bunch, but the rest, again, wasn't super memorable.

Moving on to things I like, The Beer Stein is an excellent beer shop/bar/restaurant and seems to be the de-facto nerve center of the city's beer scene. It was here where I finally got to try some of the Beer Camp stuff, since the boxes still haven't made it out to Bend; I agree with sentiments above that Sweet Sunny South is a hell of a beer in the heat and the only really unique bottle in the bunch. I'd buy that by itself without hesitation. Falling Sky is nearby, but I got distracted by 16 Tons, another bottle shop that had a shiteload of Block 15 on tap that night. Very locals-y kind of place, and filled with dot-com dudes when I was there.

Among the better breweries, I liked Oakshire a bunch, but I'd say my favorite was ColdFire which opened just under a year ago.

Considering I had never heard of them before, everything I tried was good to excellent, and not a bad one in the bunch. The Berliner is very on point, the pils even more so, and the farmhouse saison better than Agrarian's and up there in Funkwerks territory in terms of balance and not hitting you over the head with "farm" ness. Would definitely hit again.

One more PDX reminder: I'll be in Portland Thu-Sun, so drop a line if you'd like me to buy one one. (A beer, not a lap dance at Mary's)

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Hassler when are you gonna be in Japan next? Any timetable?

I never drink beer because there's nothing special where I live and I don't feel like figuring out Rakuten shops yet...

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Bier Stein and 16 Tons are rad. Did you miss Claim 52? They're doing some good stuff, especially their barrel aged beers. Elk Horn is okay too but a little inconsistent I hear.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Walked into State Line in MD when I was driving home this past weekend. Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze and Kriek 750s were on sale for $12. And they had their normal club member discount of buy any 12 large format bottles and get an additional 15% off. I can't remember the last time I was so happy with a purchase. I'll drink $10 shelf lambic all day.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Hassler when are you gonna be in Japan next? Any timetable?

I never drink beer because there's nothing special where I live and I don't feel like figuring out Rakuten shops yet...

Dunno yet but not before too long. I always found that Tokyo was like New York or Philly in that it's all about the right bar instead of breweries, but it's a lot better than it used to be.

dphi posted:

Bier Stein and 16 Tons are rad. Did you miss Claim 52? They're doing some good stuff, especially their barrel aged beers. Elk Horn is okay too but a little inconsistent I hear.

I did miss it! I only got one liver man!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Walked into State Line in MD when I was driving home this past weekend. Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze and Kriek 750s were on sale for $12. And they had their normal club member discount of buy any 12 large format bottles and get an additional 15% off. I can't remember the last time I was so happy with a purchase. I'll drink $10 shelf lambic all day.

$12 is what those go for by us. What's the "regular" price there?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

It really should be $15-$18. I have cases of the stuff.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I think I paid $13 for CRK and 750s of CR are regularly $12 or so here. That's weird...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

I don't know what "normal" prices look like anymore. Living in Philly has warped my perception. $12 may have been the normal price. But prices like that are so completely foreign to what I usually see that I couldn't resist snagging a bunch.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Off Color announced their first CCBW release...Hibiscus Troublesome! (actually called Sparkle Finds (some) Trouble)
Upcoming is a Flanders style and BA Dino Smores.
Looove me some Off Color :)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I got in a Facebook disagreement today with a gentleman who felt it was stupid for Evil Twin to charge $13 for a 4 pack of Imperial Biscotti Break, because if they charged less they could compete directly with Guinness.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Holy poo poo, Imperial Biscotti in 4-packs? And for $13? gently caress.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

poop dood posted:

Holy poo poo, Imperial Biscotti in 4-packs? And for $13? gently caress.

Yeah, I'm grabbing some as soon as I get out of work.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

I think I paid $13 for CRK and 750s of CR are regularly $12 or so here. That's weird...

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant it's so good, it should be more in line with other fruited lambic available.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Walked into State Line in MD when I was driving home this past weekend. Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze and Kriek 750s were on sale for $12.

The Cuvee Rene Kriek? That's awesome, I didn't think they even sold it in the US at all and I've never seen it there. I'd be driving down today to get some if I weren't in freaking Arizona.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

The Cuvee Rene Kriek? That's awesome, I didn't think they even sold it in the US at all and I've never seen it there. I'd be driving down today to get some if I weren't in freaking Arizona.

It's been out for a few months state-side. Excellent price for a solid beer.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

The gueuze is $8 here, probably due to a mistake. I bought one a year or so ago but still haven't tried it.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

krustster posted:

The gueuze is $8 here, probably due to a mistake. I bought one a year or so ago but still haven't tried it.

If it was $8/750 here i'd clear the shelf out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm almost reticent to even mention it on the internet because I don't want their stuff to become more difficult to obtain, but Manor Hill out of Ellicott City MD is doing some really good stuff, and they've started canning stuff. Hoppy things are on point but the true winner is their Grisette which is pretty much everything I want in a beer, especially one in a six pack of cans. Dry, lightly tart, low abv, 10 bucks a sixer. I'm kicking myself for only buying one sixer this weekend (because I have to drive about 45 minutes to get it)