Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ChristopherRobin posted:

Yeah, but the thrill of being 10 HP while being chased by two knights or barons and racing around the map trying to find health, only to actually stun one of them so you risk death to get close so you can get that glory kill and get enough health back to feel comfortable is something I haven't felt playing a game in a long time.

Double jumping out of a clusterfuck of demons, grabbing onto a pillar and launching yourself at a cacodemon while pulling out your chainsaw mid-air is so loving metal, the gameplay in this game is so in the face of every other FPS out there. Its just fricking beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I picked this up last night and started to play through it. I'm not far at all, but it seems really solid to me.

I jumped right in to Ultraviolence difficulty, and I'm trying to play with a controller which I realize is very suboptimal for FPSes, but the way my living room is set up right now makes it much more attractive than durdling around with a keyboard and mouse. My initial impression is that ultraviolence with a controller is... very difficult. Am I setting myself up for really significant frustration as the levels progress, or does the difficulty stay pretty consistent as your arsenal improves?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I did the same thing, and ended up having to bump the difficulty down a notch once I hit level 5 or so. I don't think it's a problem with the controller so much as Ultra-Violence being extremely unforgiving, since precision aiming isn't exactly a Doom hallmark. I don't need pixel-perfect accuracy to stick a sawed-off up a demon's left nostril.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I picked this up last night and started to play through it. I'm not far at all, but it seems really solid to me.

I jumped right in to Ultraviolence difficulty, and I'm trying to play with a controller which I realize is very suboptimal for FPSes, but the way my living room is set up right now makes it much more attractive than durdling around with a keyboard and mouse. My initial impression is that ultraviolence with a controller is... very difficult. Am I setting myself up for really significant frustration as the levels progress, or does the difficulty stay pretty consistent as your arsenal improves?

I beat UV with a controller no problem, id managed to pull it off and made a fast-paced vertical FPS work well with them.
You will have to work on your situational and environmental awareness but it's not as insurmountable as it seems. Remember Doom has zero hitscan enemies so it's all about your overall skill with the sticks. If you have bad aim you can compensate for it with your movement (aka getting the hell out of dodge)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tried the multiplayer again. It really is just "Use the Chaingun" in game form. Considering that the rest of the... thing... is just a lovely Halo clone... yeah. Not really worth it. Which just means more time to RIP AND TEAR in the singleplayer. :black101:

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
I'm really enjoying the soul collector mode. But yeah the chain gun is way strong. Also the people who just float in the air forever and fire infinite mini rockets really ruin team dm. Jesus.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I for one shed a tear the first time I picked up one of the small Marine figures.
Yes, the fistbump is probably humorous to some but to me it said so much more about The Doom Marine. This man has spent how many years now doing nothing but butchering zombies and demons? How can such a man feel anything but trauma? His whole existence is pain and hurting!
The fistbump with the doll is clearly him remembering all his brothers in arms that died before the first game. It is all survivor guilt and hurt! It is all that is left of his humanity.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so getting a job at Polygon or Kotaku! :q:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So does anyone else want to marvel at how well this game runs for how good it looks? I mean, I was starting to doubt my PC - it's barely keeping above water and just about holding onto plain old 1080p60 for Fallout 4, Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3 with the occasional dips and stutter - then this game comes along and runs at 80-120fps constantly, even in the thick of action. It's insane what id has done with their newest engine. Perhaps OpenGL is just a much better, more efficient API than DX?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Remember Doom has zero hitscan enemies....

:stare:

How did I not realize this after going all the way through the game? I actually liked peeking at hitscan enemies in the original Dooms and a room full of shotgun possessed was one of the most horrifying things in the game. I wonder why they didn't include any in the game... I hope it was specifically because of people needing to be able to beat it with only their thumbs. :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bolow posted:

He's none of those things. He's an actual force of nature that transcends time and space with the sole purpose of grinding demons into a greasy film on the floor. The Slayer's Testament stuff flat out says he just roamed Hell and laid waste to everything in his path for thousands of years.

My favorite entry is the one in the Titan's realm that builds up this new demon that appeared as the biggest baddest demon that had ever existed, and you think "Oh this is when the Doomguy gets imprisoned". Nope Doomguy kills the poo poo out of that dude and routs the armies of hell again and only gets imprisoned because he was blinded by bloodlust and they brought down an entire citadel on his head

i wanna play that wad. it's probably one of those 400,000 monster slaughter maps though.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So does anyone else want to marvel at how well this game runs for how good it looks? I mean, I was starting to doubt my PC - it's barely keeping above water and just about holding onto plain old 1080p60 for Fallout 4, Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3 with the occasional dips and stutter - then this game comes along and runs at 80-120fps constantly, even in the thick of action. It's insane what id has done with their newest engine. Perhaps OpenGL is just a much better, more efficient API than DX?
I heard something about it utilizing the megatextures from Rage properly this time. If it ever struggles with the framerate it temporarily turns down certain effects.
It was poo poo in Rage, even on powerful PCs, but supposedly works well for this game and Wolfenstein.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's id, they've always managed to work miracles that make other developers look like mere mortals.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i wanna play that wad. it's probably one of those 400,000 monster slaughter maps though.

The best part of the current backstory is that every single WAD ever made is potentially canon now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Essobie posted:

:stare:

How did I not realize this after going all the way through the game? I actually liked peeking at hitscan enemies in the original Dooms and a room full of shotgun possessed was one of the most horrifying things in the game. I wonder why they didn't include any in the game... I hope it was specifically because of people needing to be able to beat it with only their thumbs. :(

Hitscan enemies would only encourage hiding behind cover and pop-shots, which is anathema to the gameplay that id is going for in the 2016 game. It's no good having all that verticality and arena style gameplay if the enemies can instantly hit you. There's nothing you can do against that kind of thing. Shooters have been going in the wrong direction for years because of hitscan enemies.

It's partly why Halo was very popular in its day, the lack of hitscan enemies and a mechanic that gave back health even in the middle of combat gave it long legs.

Hitscan enemies are actually quite bad for the genre.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
How do you edit a Snapmap that you've saved but not published?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I don't know how feasible this would be from a workflow perspective, but part of me hopes that the look at the reaction to the game and rework their plans for DLC, since nobody wants more multiplayer maps, and swap their season pass content into single player stuff. Hell, multiplayer is so dead already that it took me like three hours to get the achievement for reaching rank 5 on Xbone because I couldn't find any games.

Also everyone is hoping for a Quake in this style, but I say let's see a new Hexen.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

The Walrus posted:

what's the point of the manual rocket detonation anyway? I guess theoreticaly it's so you can fire it off if you miss an enemy, but if you're holding still or holding your LOS long enough to keep an eye on it and detonate, you'd be better served by spending that time pumping lead and mini missles into that same monster instead.
Once you get the DoT upgrade it's a more efficient use per rocket because you do rocket damage + DoT damage, doubly so once you get the final upgrade so you can fire straight at an enemy, detonate in it's face, then have the rocket slam into it for double the rocket damage for the cost of a single rocket ammo. Basically the lock-on is good for front loading your damage and killing something fast, the detonation is useful if you're low on ammo and need to make each rocket count (especially since you can fire it in-between enemies and hit multiple Hell Knights or whatever).

limited posted:

Part of me wonders what Doomguy would've done if someone popped his casket, and there wasn't a demon invasion going on. Probably go to Hell and gently caress everyone up anyway for daring to lock him in there to begin with. :haw:
They did pop open his casket actually; IIRC the Doom Marine codex entry states they opened it and were surprised to find a dude inside who appears to be sleeping. So I guess Doomguy just sits there until the demons show up and then wakes up to rip and tear everything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hitscan enemies would only encourage hiding behind cover and pop-shots, which is anathema to the gameplay that id is going for in the 2016 game. It's no good having all that verticality and arena style gameplay if the enemies can instantly hit you. There's nothing you can do against that kind of thing. Shooters have been going in the wrong direction for years because of hitscan enemies.

It's partly why Halo was very popular in its day, the lack of hitscan enemies and a mechanic that gave back health even in the middle of combat gave it long legs.

I agree, the whole emphasis is on mobility and being able to dodge fire if you respond fast enough. Somebody described doom as basically closer to Robotron than to modern FPS and that's entirely accurate. Hitscan enemies don't exist in robotron because it wouldn't make sense.

I could kinda see an argument for the way some doom map makers use hitscan enemies like the chaingunner as area denial or nasty traps, but I would say that if they were going to do hitscan enemies they should really go back to the drawing board on them. Maybe something like an automated, immobile turret could make sense? A real high-value threat but something that is easily taken out with a few rockets?

But even then, it seems like if you could circle strafe fast enough to dodge the bullets, that'd be preferable. Reward the higher skill level. So maybe a turret that has a maximum tracking speed so as long as you never stop moving, its never able to get a lock on you? That's not terrible, although I think I'd still prefer a rocket launching turret where you could dodge the missiles, or something. I'm fine with the game not having hitscan enemies, and I nitpicked a lot of the differences from classic doom.

Like you said, hitscan enemies have been taking shooters in the wrong direction, and that's something Halo really did well.

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't know how feasible this would be from a workflow perspective, but part of me hopes that the look at the reaction to the game and rework their plans for DLC, since nobody wants more multiplayer maps, and swap their season pass content into single player stuff. Hell, multiplayer is so dead already that it took me like three hours to get the achievement for reaching rank 5 on Xbone because I couldn't find any games.

Also everyone is hoping for a Quake in this style, but I say let's see a new Hexen.

Heretic would be great. I loved the art style of Heretic back in the doom days. Hexen maybe even better; I prefer Heretic but Hexen is more different than Doom.

If you did a modern Hexen with a big huge hub-world (that didn't suck) and some different classes based around co-op play, that'd be amazing.

Hell I would be really happy just to be able to co-op through Doom's campaign :smith:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Disguise the new Hexen as an Elder Scrolls game to really gently caress with people

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Insert name here posted:

They did pop open his casket actually; IIRC the Doom Marine codex entry states they opened it and were surprised to find a dude inside who appears to be sleeping. So I guess Doomguy just sits there until the demons show up and then wakes up to rip and tear everything.

Now I'm imagen a bored Doomguy that had his casket opened during a non-demon invasion bored and just walking around UMC facilities knocking poo poo off desks like a bored house cat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lodin posted:

It is all that is left of his humanity.

He's not human, though? He's explicitly from a world with those siren things that terrified the populace existed, which ain't ours.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Its been too goddamn long since I got to use a Super Shotgun in a shooter. :unsmith:

I'm really hoping this game sells really well so they'll make a new Quake title.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MisterBibs posted:

He's not human, though? He's explicitly from a world with those siren things that terrified the populace existed, which ain't ours.

Yet.

vvv Aftermath of a Trump presidency, clearly.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 18, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

At least one level in the game has you walking through the remains of said world where the Doom Warrior comes from.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I would love Doom 2 so much more without Chaingunners. I could take or leave Pain Elementals, but Chaingunners in particular ruined a lot of perfectly good levels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Plan Z posted:

I would love Doom 2 so much more without Chaingunners. I could take or leave Pain Elementals, but Chaingunners in particular ruined a lot of perfectly good levels.

You could make a pwad which replaces chaingunner spawns with a new monster which is really just a clone of a shotgunner or a imp or something :)

That's the fun of Doom, its so easy to change poo poo. You could throw that together in like 5 minutes in SLADE.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Why they were only good if you got close,like with the shot gun guy

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bah, no berserk pack or chainsaw in SnapMap. So much for my Doom comic remake. :smith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ludicro posted:

I'm really hoping this game sells really well so they'll make a new Quake title.

Yeah but which Quake? A new one in the style of Quake 1? A new one in the style of Quake II or 4? A new one in the style of Quake III?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

poptart_fairy posted:

Bah, no berserk pack or chainsaw in SnapMap. So much for my Doom comic remake. :smith:

Is there a good list somewhere of what is in SnapMap? Because that sounds awesome but I don't want to buy just to work out what is and isn't available..

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

poptart_fairy posted:

drat. I was going to make a stress-relief map with a ton of monsters and a dozen berserk packs. I find something soothing about the fights in SP where you can easily go berserk and tear apart half the monsters in a given arena, especially if they're bigger ones like Mancubi.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah but which Quake? A new one in the style of Quake 1? A new one in the style of Quake II or 4? A new one in the style of Quake III?

Probably Quake 2 since Quake 1 is really drat similar to Doom

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

I want a sequel to quake 1 really bad, but I would expect a sequel to quake 3 is more likely, and I'll take that too. That'd be my second preference. But the dark lovecraftian horror of quake 1 is something Id hasn't quite returned to since, and I'd love to see what they could do with lovecrafitan cosmic horror given modern technology. And as much of Quake 1 was a hodgepodge of themes, the mix of techbase and medieval castle and interdimensional nightmare planes worked really well.

Please, not Quake 2. We already got Quake 4. I don't want Quake 2-3.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That reminds me, what are the best options for playing the original games on OSX? Steam has them, but only for Windows, I don't know if that lets me download the IWADs anyway. I know (G)ZDoom has an OSX port that's decently up to date, so that should be enough to run the thing, but I'm blanking on level editing tools and the like.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Maybe they could come up with a new Quake setting, but if going nostalgia I'll take a Quake 1 game. Agreed we don't need another strogg game. Or maybe they could throw in some nods to both or something, since you can hop from setting to setting in Quake.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A new Quake would be awesome, especially if they opened up the different settings for more variation.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I didn't like the multiplayer, so after I finished the singleplayer campaign I spent a few days messing around in the SnapMap editor which I really enjoy (I find its restrictions fun to work with). Spent three days working on a map that I uploaded yesterday and it was featured in RockPaperShotgun today. I guess I should stop now that I've made "the best SnapMap for now and forever"...

EDIT: Here's a video playthrough of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h9BYuVf0_I

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 18, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me, what are the best options for playing the original games on OSX? Steam has them, but only for Windows, I don't know if that lets me download the IWADs anyway. I know (G)ZDoom has an OSX port that's decently up to date, so that should be enough to run the thing, but I'm blanking on level editing tools and the like.

SLADE has OSX binaries and supports both map making and WAD creation/messing with: http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

GZDoom is the way to play modern Doom, so get that. So all you need are the IWADs. The ones from steam are fine, but I have no idea if steam will let you actually download the data or if it'll simply prevent you on OSX. By default Steam installs dosbox on windows, and there is dosbox for OSX, so maybe they'll install that? Or maybe they'll just give you the .exe that you can't use, but all you care about are the IWADs anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

fishmech posted:

Going against popular opinion from the looks of things but personally for me it would be Quake II. Just a lot less brown.