Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just a filtering algorithm :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Feinne posted:

Wait the description of that wasn't like a satirical parody thing? gently caress me.

I know, right!

Hey boss, your friend was murdered 10 years ago and we still don't have a lead, maybe we should focus our resources on other cases?

And lol at the tech guy being the one controlling the drone. As if american police, specially in a city like Chicago would be completely flabbergasted by such a mythical technology. And the female cop being "pfff, technology? Cops solve cases dude"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

No mention of police unions? Tech billionaire is going to hit a few bumps with his "disruption" on that one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's a procedural with Weeds and Under The Dome alumni as the main characters, its destiny was to be exactly what it'll be.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Automatic Slim posted:

No mention of police unions? Tech billionaire is going to hit a few bumps with his "disruption" on that one.

Not if he's giving them what they want.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

duz posted:

Not if he's giving them what they want.

Captains of industry hate having checks placed on their vision but this show has already crossed the line of complete bullshit anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of like the idea of a show about a police force who are all members of the peerage, like some sort of inverse pirates of penzance.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of like the idea of a show about a police force who are all members of the peerage, like some sort of inverse pirates of penzance.

With the cops beating the poo poo out of some random civilian because he addressed one of them as "my lord" when the proper style would be "your grace".

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

nachos posted:

quote:

After all that careful math, SpoonRocket's contribution margin was 50 cents to $1 per order, Tsui said. The founders prepared a new pitch for investors highlighting this milestone. "We showed them, and they were just like, 'Oh my goodness, you guys spent $13 million to squeeze a $1 margin out of every order?'" Tsui recalled. SpoonRocket shut down in March and sold some assets to a food delivery company in Brazil.
:thumbsup:

I don't know anything about SpoonRocket or what the company's stupid operating premise was, but isn't this basically the end stage of capitalism? Once most of the efficiency in a system is baked in, it becomes harder and harder to wring more profit out of it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I don't know anything about SpoonRocket or what the company's stupid operating premise was, but isn't this basically the end stage of capitalism? Once most of the efficiency in a system is baked in, it becomes harder and harder to wring more profit out of it.
[/quote]

correct

it also shows that worrying about slight inefficiencies is actually stupid

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Unkempt posted:

It has a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbVnrOkcr8

Surprise, it's loving disgusting

The real test of whether or not we're watching the culture decline in real time will be whether or not this show survives more than a season and/or gets reamed by critics.

Granted, it's on Fox, so one can already guess the answers to that

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpaceDrake posted:

The real test of whether or not we're watching the culture decline in real time will be whether or not this show survives more than a season and/or gets reamed by critics.

Granted, it's on Fox, so one can already guess the answers to that

If the show doesn't do too well, who knows? Maybe a tech billionaire will step in and buy up Fox to keep it running?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Speaking of squeezing the last drop of profit, Amazon is opening a second (the first was in Sunnyvale) drive-through grocery store. By drive-through, they mean you do the shopping on Amazon, then drive to the grocery warehouse to pick up your order. Assuming they apply their warehouse-running skills, this should reduce the labor costs and wastage of running a grocery store substantially. I hate the idea of letting another person pick out my meats and produce, but I'd be perfectly happy to call in an order for toilet paper, canned goods, and other identical stuff. The grocery business is cutthroat low-margins anyway; I can easily see this replacing Safeway.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of squeezing the last drop of profit, Amazon is opening a second (the first was in Sunnyvale) drive-through grocery store. By drive-through, they mean you do the shopping on Amazon, then drive to the grocery warehouse to pick up your order. Assuming they apply their warehouse-running skills, this should reduce the labor costs and wastage of running a grocery store substantially. I hate the idea of letting another person pick out my meats and produce, but I'd be perfectly happy to call in an order for toilet paper, canned goods, and other identical stuff. The grocery business is cutthroat low-margins anyway; I can easily see this replacing Safeway.

I don't think the first ever opened.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 17, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, amazon has apparently invented click and collect? Bit late.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This isn't exactly a disruptive tech breakthrough. My local Stop&Shop has a program that does the same thing and allows for either pickup or home delivery, and it's been around for a few years at least.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah Kroger is rolling out the same thing at their stores which is a little different than having on giant central warehouse for a city or w/e like Amazon is attempting

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We've had it in the UK for a while, what happens is you place your order, they get a bunch of store workers to go around every morning and do your shopping and put it in a tray, then they have a drive thru where you press a button and they bring it out to you.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

There is a solution:
A violent uprising and execution of all landlords and the 1% in general.

It has a big problem though:
It involves going outside and interacting with people.

Sadly they would just get replaced with the next set of 1%ers. Human nature is a bitch.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Reminds me of grocery shopping in the early 20th century, you would go in, tell the clerk what you wanted, and they would get it for you. This isn't a new concept, it was abandoned the first time due to the amount of labor it required, as well as a massive increase in selection.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It isn't "not wanting to deal with humans" as a general thing it's wanting to divide the world into us and them. This is the biggest issue; white people with money want those people to kindly gently caress off and not ruin their neighborhoods. This is why the suburban hellscape is designed the way it is; to keep those people out. They are deliberately made not walkable and suburbanites hate mass transit for the same reason. If you wanted to be able to get anywhere you'd work hard enough to have a car you disgusting filth.

High density housing makes it harder to decide who can and can't live in your neighborhood. Mixed income zoning also lets those people benefit from my tax dollars and also lets them live in decent neighborhoods instead of blasted urban hellscapes. It isn't "let's not want to deal with people" but rather "let's set up a world where we get all the good stuff and can wall it off from everybody else."

It also isn't exclusively American. poo poo happens everywhere. America just invented a unique American way to do it thanks to the culture's raging boner for cars.

Actually the first suburbs in US were in New York and Boston because of street cars and rail ways that took people right into the city. No denying the mass migration of southern blacks into the cities labor markets led to white flight, but another reason was cheap mass produced housing for all the veterans coming home post WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levittown,_New_York At its peak they were producing something like 30 houses per day. And it gave people large affordable homes at a time when housing was needed the most. But youre right they were also segregated and all owners basically signed in blood not to rent or sell to blacks and FHA mortgages were only given to whites.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This isn't exactly a disruptive tech breakthrough. My local Stop&Shop has a program that does the same thing and allows for either pickup or home delivery, and it's been around for a few years at least.

Yeah, there are several grocery stores around here that do this and have been for years. I've actually been making use of it for a while and the pickers generally do a really, really excellent job with selecting meats and produce. If I wasn't already using it out of laziness and my general hatred of grocery shopping, I might still use it just for that.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

MickeyFinn posted:

In the article itself it actually mentioned that the $0.50 to $1 :airquote:profit margin:airquote: is actually a cooked number, since it is generated using a metric that doesn't include a lot the companies expenses. They were still losing money on every order, and the fabricated number that they cut corners to generate still caused their investors to balk.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Contribution margin isn't a cooked number, it's actually an incredibly relevant profit metric for that business and the circumstances it was in. This isn't an uncommon or unusual profitability measurement.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mike- posted:

Contribution margin isn't a cooked number, it's actually an incredibly relevant profit metric for that business and the circumstances it was in. This isn't an uncommon or unusual profitability measurement.

Yeah but what I think he's saying is their version of it was cooked. Yeah contribution margins matter, but when they were putting it together say they decided not to include operations costs or something else that when you bake in really brings down that margin or left them in the red.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but what I think he's saying is their version of it was cooked. Yeah contribution margins matter, but when they were putting it together say they decided not to include operations costs or something else that when you bake in really brings down that margin or left them in the red.

The article says what costs were excluded, and it makes sense to exclude those costs when calculating the contribution margin.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

It's a procedural with Weeds and Under The Dome alumni as the main characters, its destiny was to be exactly what it'll be.

Surprisingly good for a little bit, and then spiraling out of control?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Unkempt posted:

It has a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbVnrOkcr8

Surprise, it's loving disgusting
Holy poo poo it really is as bad as I thought it would be. Of COURSE its a middle aged white man, riding in to save a precinct full of black/brown cops, vanquishing centuries of crippling socioeconomic reality with his sweet new app and drones. Because, you know, the reason Cops couldn't find his friends killer is they struggle so much in foot pursuits...

Mind boggling, truly mind boggling.

You know, this could actually be a good show if the first half of the season is him introducing all his new toys, and getting the cops on board, and the second half is the dawning realization that all the technology and good intention in the world won't solve poverty and drug addiction. I mean, they already made The Wire, but still.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Holy poo poo it really is as bad as I thought it would be. Of COURSE its a middle aged white man, riding in to save a precinct full of black/brown cops, vanquishing centuries of crippling socioeconomic reality with his sweet new app and drones. Because, you know, the reason Cops couldn't find his friends killer is they struggle so much in foot pursuits...

You know, this could actually be a good show if the first half of the season is him introducing all his new toys, and getting the cops on board, and the second half is the dawning realization that all the technology and good intention in the world won't solve poverty and drug addiction. I mean, they already made The Wire, but still.

Or they could just lock up all the criminals, and show how if you actually enforced the law people would be safe.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cheese posted:

I hope it gets one season.

So the last episode is literally "Turns out rich guy did it buy all the drones + ARgunz + PolizR App can't touch him because of Directive Riche"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Haha oh god this is awful.

Sums up the tech sector in general pretty splendidly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

cheese posted:

I could buy into this show if it followed Daenerys plot arc from Game of Thrones.

Or the guy slowly turns the precinct into his own personal warlord fief, and halfway through the show the protagonist switches to the guy who is given the task of taking this guy down.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'W.. who are you?'

'I'm Appman.'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mozi posted:

'W.. who are you?'

'I'm Appman.'

I am venture capital. I am right. I. AM. AnCapMan.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think TEDx in the thread title would be more appropriate given the CEOs I've seen in action

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd say modern TED is on par with old TEDx.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Looks like Tesla is disrupting the labor market now!

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_29892463/hidden-workforce-expanding-teslas-fremont-factory

Also man I remember when the San Jose Mercury News wasn't poo poo, I figured their link would be better than the piece from the fluffy radio show I heard it on., but nope!
But summing it up: Tesla needed a new painting facility constructed, so rather than hire workers themselves, hired a German firm that in turn hired a Slovakian labor contractor to import workers promised 12-15 an hour or so from Europe, along with room and board.

The workers were paid the 12-15x40 but worked for 60+ hours a week to get their wages down to 5 bucks an hour and housed in an apt/shuttled to the facility. Naturally they were not given OT

They almost got away with it quietly but then a dude got seriously injured (he fell through a roofing tile breaking both legs/winding up in hospital with a concussion.) The contractors moved to quietly export the guy back to his home country but he lawyered up, and so far in addition to those conditions coming up other juicy details like the visas used to import the workers were supervisor/non-labor visas specifically used when someone wouldn't replace an American job -so like if he'd been brought out as an engineer to audit plans, or was here on conference have come to light.

Naturally when caught with his pants down Musk has vowed to do the right thing and pay the workers fairly. Also from a California labor perspective Tesla is gonna be on the hook since they'd issued badges and did training for the contractors, so I hope this hurts them a lot. The more hosed up thing is the same firm that brought the labor does business in a bunch of other states that are far less aggressive than California with labor protection.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 18, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've been seeing a lot of articles in my feed lately about "how the bubble isn't about to burst" "the unicorn problem will fix itself" "how this bubble is different" and it's coming off like denial for some reason. I don't really know a lot about the valley or poo poo, I was just curious if something had changed from a few months ago.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Looks like Tesla is disrupting the labor market now!

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_29892463/hidden-workforce-expanding-teslas-fremont-factory

Also man I remember when the San Jose Mercury News wasn't poo poo, I figured their link would be better than the piece from the fluffy radio show I heard it on., but nope!
But summing it up: Tesla needed a new painting facility constructed, so rather than hire workers themselves, hired a German firm that in turn hired a Slovakian labor contractor to import workers promised 12-15 an hour or so from Europe, along with room and board.

The workers were paid the 12-15x40 but worked for for 60+ hours a week to get their wages down to 5 bucks an hour and housed in an apt/shuttled to the facility.

They almost got away with it quietly but then a dude got seriously injured (he fell through a roofing tile breaking both legs/winding up in hospital with a concussion.) The contractors moved to quietly export the guy back to his home country but he lawyered up, and so far in addition to those conditions coming up other juicy details like the visas used to import the workers were supervisor/non-labor visas specifically used when someone wouldn't replace an American job -so like if he'd been brought out as an engineer to audit plans, or was here on conference have come to light.

Naturally when caught with his pants down Musk has vowed to do the right thing and pay the workers fairly. Also from a California labor perspective Tesla is gonna be on the hook since they'd issued badges and did training for the contractors, so I hope this hurts them a lot. The more hosed up thing is the same firm that brought the labor does business in a bunch of other states that are far less aggressive than California with labor protection.

Wow. It costs almost 20x as much to employ union welders in Alameda county as it does to hire Slovenians. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I've been seeing a lot of articles in my feed lately about "how the bubble isn't about to burst" "the unicorn problem will fix itself" "how this bubble is different" and it's coming off like denial for some reason. I don't really know a lot about the valley or poo poo, I was just curious if something had changed from a few months ago.

What's changed is a bunch of hedge funds and VCs withdrawing their money because these companies aren't ever going to be profitable.