Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

mortons stork posted:

Carthus Curved sword is any good raw/any infusion for a sorcery character? I loving love that thing and I'm going to use any excuse to use it, but I also want to keep my sorcery/pyro gimmick going.

It really needs scaling to do decent damage, if you want to use a raw curved sword then the Falchion might be a better bet since it's a lot lighter on the stamina usage and does more damage, with the exact same moveset and lower stat requirements. The only advantage the CCS has in that case is length.

You can go 15 strength 40 dex sharp and get good damage and that also frees up a ring slot since you get pretty close to capped cast speed as well, but that's a lot of stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Eldred posted:

It might be him in the (maybe spoiler? very mild) hidden area of Profaned Capital that leads back to Irithyll Dungeon, since you find his scroll right by there. The hollowed sorcerer NPC you fight on the roof

No, the court sorcerers are just another group of guys that imitated Logan. The description of Logan's Scroll even says as much: "Secret tome of the Profaned Capital court sorcerers, containing sorceries of Logan."

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

It gets pretty good Chaos scaling (B/B Int/Faith). It also has A scaling if you go Crystal but I think Chaos is generally better overall, especially if you're leveling both Int and Faith.

All right, chaos infusion here I go.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
As one of the blessed people for whom blue copping works across all level ranges, I've obtained 30 ears on three different characters now, just because I could.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I'm one of the chosen and I usually never even care about covenants.

(I think this :smug: works less now that they figured out the steam share thing.)

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Everyone was right about Yhorm's machete. It's so much better than the greatswords I was using that it feels like it shouldn't be in the same game. I'm glad it is though.

I also like the Lucerne a lot. Does a big chunk of extra damage at its max range, which is exactly where you want to use it, it's fast for its size, and when the head hits the floor it creates this sort of knockback effect that stops people from coming at you even if you misjudged the distance.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Fuligin posted:

Well you can, since he is the Last Giant, which has a similar face to the rest of the giants. Then again, if you ascribe to the idea that the hole in face is giant hollowing than it makes sense that TLG would have hollowed after centuries buried underneath a fort or whatever. I personally think the whole Yhorm debate is a bit overblown. He is very clearly meant to evoke the Giant Lord, and his description practically says outright that he is a descendant of it. He has a face? So what. Emphasis on "descendant", probably humans and giants boned down at some point, or it's just one of the countless minor changes and inconsistencies that fill these games.

I don't think yhorm is a giant like the racial type giant that you see in DS1&3 or that you see in DS2. I think yhorm is a descendant in that he is a giant man who wears armor that is very reminiscent of the giants, but he's still a human (or at least started his life as one). I think yhorm actually became giant sized when he linked the fire, or as a side effect of linking the fire. all of the owners of the lord souls in the original DS were much larger than the player character, and even though gwyn had given pieces of his soul away and was diminished cinder in the kiln, he was still much larger than the player. vendrick was a master of souls before going hollow and had absorbed more souls than anyone else in drangleic and he was (or became) a giant sized dude (and in his memories he's still clearly otherwise human, just a large human). the abyss watchers are still bigger than the player character can be, although not hugely bigger since they've divided their lord soul up a bunch of times, Aldrich is bigger than the player, and obviously yhorm is much larger. the soul of cinder and NK are much larger than the player character.

I feel like the idea is that linking the fire and absorbing all those tasty tasty souls that you inevitably need to eat to become powerful enough to link the fire turns you into a giant person (thing / blob / zombie / whatever). the largeness of the lords is meant to evoke their awesome power and to show that they are many times more mighty than your puny unkindled rear end, but I don't think that literally means that yhorm is the same species of creature that is otherwise considered to be a giant. I think he just dresses like them and he's super huge, but was still a human dude before he chowed down on tons of souls and linked the fire.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this but Wolnir was not actually a 50 foot tall skeleton. He was a normal sized dude; the goblet you touch is made from his skull.

He was some kind of blind solid granite being then, because that skull-motif goblet does not have holes in its eye sockets.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

StringOfLetters posted:

He was some kind of blind solid granite being then, because that skull-motif goblet does not have holes in its eye sockets.

It wouldn't be much of a goblet if it had holes in it!

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opdjKdvu-Wg

So we have this and the Sacred Flame bug as well.

We should have some sort of From Software emote like we do for CCP. :ccp:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TopHatGenius posted:

Well gently caress, unlike sacred flame this will actually be useful against people that know what is up.

EDIT: Wait you have to cast WoG before the swap so I guess that's an obvious tell.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 18, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well gently caress, unlike sacred flame this will actually be useful against people that know what is up.

EDIT: Wait you have to cast WoG before the swap so I guess that's an obvious tell.

I liked when the two dudes spammed dung pies at him. I mean,if you can tell what's up, you can just clown on them with any form of ranged attack really.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 18, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Grinding for the warden blade, coin and hat making 260. Four hats, three chests, one set of gloves, five skirts, then finally the blades. Any datamining done yet on rarities and itemfind?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Grinding for the warden blade, coin and hat making 260. Four hats, three chests, one set of gloves, five skirts, then finally the blades. Any datamining done yet on rarities and itemfind?

What an obnoxious enemy to grind, too.

One dropped for me the first time I killed one, back on my first playthrough when no one gave a poo poo about it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Summoned(?) Havel probably would have loving wrecked my rear end if I wasn't familiar with him. (Or didn't have 1k HP).

I'm lucky the invader didn't show up until after that, and was polite enough to use the HEY emote while I was typing that in the first place.

Had a nice little brawl with no particular "gimmicks", up till a bluecop showed up and that was that for the invader. I don't know if I should feel bad for the polite invader, or good for a bluecop who was probably waiting 5 hours for an Archdragon peak summon.

Invader was probably a bit confused when I kept running after him with 3/4 health he nailed me in the face with a hunter's charm following up the stairs, though. The way people talk about Host reactions to being hit with those things, that's probably why he turned his back on me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MrLonghair posted:

inversely proportional to how much you desire it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

TopHatGenius posted:

Miracles saved

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's a drat shame that if you switch Wrath of God to a Force animation, the explosion forms above your head.

Else I'd have done it.

Instead I'll have to settle for making the Force explosion do damage.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

homeless poster posted:

I don't think yhorm is a giant like the racial type giant that you see in DS1&3 or that you see in DS2. I think yhorm is a descendant in that he is a giant man who wears armor that is very reminiscent of the giants, but he's still a human (or at least started his life as one). I think yhorm actually became giant sized when he linked the fire, or as a side effect of linking the fire. all of the owners of the lord souls in the original DS were much larger than the player character, and even though gwyn had given pieces of his soul away and was diminished cinder in the kiln, he was still much larger than the player. vendrick was a master of souls before going hollow and had absorbed more souls than anyone else in drangleic and he was (or became) a giant sized dude (and in his memories he's still clearly otherwise human, just a large human). the abyss watchers are still bigger than the player character can be, although not hugely bigger since they've divided their lord soul up a bunch of times, Aldrich is bigger than the player, and obviously yhorm is much larger. the soul of cinder and NK are much larger than the player character.

I feel like the idea is that linking the fire and absorbing all those tasty tasty souls that you inevitably need to eat to become powerful enough to link the fire turns you into a giant person (thing / blob / zombie / whatever). the largeness of the lords is meant to evoke their awesome power and to show that they are many times more mighty than your puny unkindled rear end, but I don't think that literally means that yhorm is the same species of creature that is otherwise considered to be a giant. I think he just dresses like them and he's super huge, but was still a human dude before he chowed down on tons of souls and linked the fire.

He's not human.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
my gf likes to make fun of me for running past 90% of the enemies and yelling, but Coward Souls is the True Souls and i will not hear otherwise.

it's also good prep for my trainwreck of a sorcery run :suicide:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

StringOfLetters posted:

Wolnir is actually this guy!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
wolnir the barbarian

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No barbarian worth his loin cloth would ever use a loving rapier.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

turtlecrunch posted:

Wolnir is loving Conan the barbarian?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Destined to wear the jeweled crown (of Wolnir) upon a troubled brow.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Just finished the game. It's really good, in my opinion! I wish UGS were better, though. I'll probably save replays for when I get a better computer and can run it at a steady 60fps and actually do multiplayer.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Havel is such a good boy!!! Yes he is!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIlyHuCeF-o

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Are there special-ish counter-attacks in this game?

I find that once in a while if I time my attack for the exact moment an enemy finishes his I hear the CHOOM sfx you get when you stagger someone and hit them with a regular attack instead of a critical. I figure these could also be melee headshots but I'm not sure.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

hard counter posted:

Are there special-ish counter-attacks in this game?

I find that once in a while if I time my attack for the exact moment an enemy finishes his I hear the CHOOM sfx you get when you stagger someone and hit them with a regular attack instead of a critical. I figure these could also be melee headshots but I'm not sure.

Yeah, instability damage (when an enemy is staggered or otherwise off-guard) has a special noise now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

that used to be a thing in DS1 too, just with less sfx aplomb

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gologle posted:

Wolnir is loving Conan the barbarian?

Seems so.

That crown is specifically Wolnir's.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
drat I really want to make a Martyr Logarius cosplay and invade in the Cathedral.

Wolnir's Crown
Archedeacon Robes
Pontiff/Corvian Scythe
Some straight sword
Hexes

Ideas?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Which covenant do you all think has a higher rate of covenant reward acquisition, sentinels/blades or fingers?

On the one hand, the deck is heavily stacked against invaders, on the other hand it seems like sentinels/blades have a tough time being summoned at all.

I need to know so I can determine my M.O. against invaders, i.e. if fingers have it bad I'll let them fight summoned blues one on one for forked tongues, but if cops have it worse then I'll go after invaders so blues can get their ears.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does killing the Abyss watchers do anything to Siegward's quest? I sort of forgot about him, and haven't been to Cathedral yet (nor met patches).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Deified Data posted:

drat I really want to make a Martyr Logarius cosplay and invade in the Cathedral.

Wolnir's Crown
Archedeacon Robes
Pontiff/Corvian Scythe
Some straight sword
Hexes

Ideas?

can you get those urns that explode into skull heads that the skeletons in the catacombs throw at you? because those would be a good fit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sector_corrector posted:

Does killing the Abyss watchers do anything to Siegward's quest? I sort of forgot about him, and haven't been to Cathedral yet (nor met patches).

I don't believe it does. The trigger to get Patches and Siegward to appear is opening the big door in the cathedral you reach from the Deacon's antechamber. Note that if you go over to Rosarai's Bedchamber before opening that door, Patches won't show up in the cathedral and goes straight to Firelink instead.

Manatee Cannon posted:

can you get those urns that explode into skull heads that the skeletons in the catacombs throw at you? because those would be a good fit

Unfortunately you can't.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Which covenant do you all think has a higher rate of covenant reward acquisition, sentinels/blades or fingers?

On the one hand, the deck is heavily stacked against invaders, on the other hand it seems like sentinels/blades have a tough time being summoned at all.

I need to know so I can determine my M.O. against invaders, i.e. if fingers have it bad I'll let them fight summoned blues one on one for forked tongues, but if cops have it worse then I'll go after invaders so blues can get their ears.

It's much easier to have a 30% chance of victory with an indefinite number of tries than a 90% chance of victory with 3-4 across a whole playthrough.

If reds don't have mobs ganging up on them then they literally have nothing counting against them. The game's matchmaking intentionally matches them with gank squads for this reason.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 18, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Unfortunately you can't.

~I smell a potential DLC item~

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

only the dungeon bonfire affects/fucks his quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

What am I looking at here?