Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can actually believe AoS sells better for models (not books though) than WFB by the simple merit of being orders of magnitude cheaper to buy into. When it was cancelled WFB was neck deep in "oh you need 100 of those models at twenty quid for a box of fifteen just to make one unit" territory.

That's what was dragging WFB down. They should have addressed that while pushing AoS as a companion game.

8th edition fantasy was hurt by GW overpricing their minis for the numbers you needed. People keep saying Kings of War's a really cheap game an it needs at least as many minis as a similar sized Warhammer game, potentially more. Mantic's pricing means it's actually got a sensible buy in to people that aren't disenfranchised Warhammer players.

GW's pricing strangled fantasy so they killed it rather than doing anything sensible like lowering entry costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can actually believe AoS sells better for models (not books though) than WFB by the simple merit of being orders of magnitude cheaper to buy into. When it was cancelled WFB was neck deep in "oh you need 100 of those models at twenty quid for a box of fifteen just to make one unit" territory.

That's what was dragging WFB down. They should have addressed that while pushing AoS as a companion game.

I don't see how it's easier to buy into. I mean fantasy was prohibitively expensive but it's something like $20 per sigmarine and $40+ for characters. They reduced the scale of the game* and increased the prices of models to compensate.

* - remember, there's no sort of balancing mechanism to control the size of one's army in AoS. You can literally dump your entire collection on the table against someone.

AoS definitely should've been a skirmish game in the fantasy universe with fantasy getting cheaper and actually get support and balance outside of the developers favorite armies, but you don't sack executives or double back on core selling points of the game (no points) when your product is pulling in better numbers than what it replaced

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ro5s posted:

8th edition fantasy was hurt by GW overpricing their minis for the numbers you needed. People keep saying Kings of War's a really cheap game an it needs at least as many minis as a similar sized Warhammer game, potentially more. Mantic's pricing means it's actually got a sensible buy in to people that aren't disenfranchised Warhammer players.

GW's pricing strangled fantasy so they killed it rather than doing anything sensible like lowering entry costs.

You can play a 2000 point game of KoW with 6 guys and some unit filler as long as the base sizes are right.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

sassassin posted:

You can play a 2000 point game of KoW with 6 guys and some unit filler as long as the base sizes are right.

I thought KoW2 required footprints to contain half the "full" number of models plus one? I remember being annoyed when considering boring 30mm holes for my WMH models into big squares, then learning it would violate the letter of KoW2's rules. I'm sure people would let us use fewer, but then we're back to the lazy reliance on social engineering poo poo that makes GW games bad.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

I think a streamlining of the game is gonna happen at some point, but I doubt it'll be AoS levels of simplification. I'm thinking more 2nd ed 40k to 3rd ed 40k. AoS is apparently selling better than Fantasy was though.

No it isn't. Anyone that says otherwise is flat out lying.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
serious gaylord, my kind of gaylord

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Sulecrist posted:

I thought KoW2 required footprints to contain half the "full" number of models plus one? I remember being annoyed when considering boring 30mm holes for my WMH models into big squares, then learning it would violate the letter of KoW2's rules. I'm sure people would let us use fewer, but then we're back to the lazy reliance on social engineering poo poo that makes GW games bad.

It's half the number of models plus 1.

A unit of 20 20mm square dudes requires a tray with a 100x80mm footprint but you only have to have 11 guys on there. I use my WMH models for KoW all the time.

Edit: Ugh, that's exactly what you said. I'm great at posting.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

fnordcircle posted:

It's half the number of models plus 1.

A unit of 20 20mm square dudes requires a tray with a 100x80mm footprint but you only have to have 11 guys on there. I use my WMH models for KoW all the time.

Edit: Ugh, that's exactly what you said. I'm great at posting.

It's not a rule though, it's just a guide for mantic run tournaments, and even then there's leeway in it and it is up to the TOs discretion. For example it would probably be OK having 3 ogre sized miniatures representing a troop of 10 infantry.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

serious gaylord posted:

If anyone has a proven track record regarding AoS, it's SGL.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

serious gaylord posted:

[CITATION NEEDED]

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
AoS is a roaring success until proved otherwise.

Ignore the death of the tournament scene, the death of AoS across almost the entire of Europe, the backtracking and releasing of a points system, the growth of other games.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Big Willy Style posted:

It's not a rule though, it's just a guide for mantic run tournaments, and even then there's leeway in it and it is up to the TOs discretion. For example it would probably be OK having 3 ogre sized miniatures representing a troop of 10 infantry.

Ok rule wise but dumb as gently caress visually.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I stand by Gaylord. He knows his poo poo and has been one of our inside dudes for a long time. Even more so because he was really optimistic about GW before they atom bombed the fantasy range.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

I stand by Gaylord. He knows his poo poo and has been one of our inside dudes for a long time. Even more so because he was really optimistic about GW before they atom bombed the fantasy range.

He's my Gaylord too.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
His username avatar combo makes me laugh cause I'm 5.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Big Willy Style posted:

KoW also only really cares about two things when it comes to a unit: the size of the footprint, and the leader point (aka the center of the front line). You can literally play with cardboard sheets and it wouldn't impact how the game is played except on a visually pleasing level.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Does anyone have suggestions for bits to use as aircraft bombs? I think Forge World used to sell something called "aircraft heavy bombs", but they seem to have disappeared. I want to put some on my Lightning for 30k to represent Phosphex. The usual aftermarket bits stores have turned up squat.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
my sources tell me AoS is selling extremely well

*farts for all eternity*

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
ok

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for bits to use as aircraft bombs? I think Forge World used to sell something called "aircraft heavy bombs", but they seem to have disappeared. I want to put some on my Lightning for 30k to represent Phosphex. The usual aftermarket bits stores have turned up squat.

I got ya bro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bombs-Small-8-/262136054115
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bombs-Medium-4-/252163777844
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Missile-Small-4-/262136060883
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Missile-Medium-4-/252163783863

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

KoW also only really cares about two things when it comes to a unit: the size of the footprint, and the leader point (aka the center of the front line). You can literally play with cardboard sheets and it wouldn't impact how the game is played except on a visually pleasing level.

If you are playing a mediocre game with a price tag of hundreds of dollars for models you slavishly paint up the game better be visually pleasing or you may as well be playing with opossum turds.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
You could play 40k with pogs and cardboard boxes right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uroboros posted:

You could.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LingcodKilla posted:

If you are playing a mediocre game with a price tag of hundreds of dollars for models you slavishly paint up the game better be visually pleasing or you may as well be playing with opossum turds.

But enough about 40k.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

AoS is doing great. That's why the SA WFB thread is still going strong right?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeast posted:

[CITATION NEEDED]

how about thousands of game stores completely unable to sell that poo poo garbage poo poo lmao

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

You da man. Thanks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
GW posted the FAQs for Guard, Sisters, and Inquisition: https://www.facebook.com/1575682476085719/photos/a.1576243776029589.1073741828.1575682476085719/1617411898579443/?type=3

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
That's just mean though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

It's got one for the stormtrooper codex, not the Guard, and it was a pretty dumb question to begin with.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Uroboros posted:

No - it's a 'True Line of Sight' game, so you need the real models to work out who can see who,as bases count for close combat but not line of sight....

why, yes, my fragile Harlequins are all posed on bits of rubble that makes then easier to see than Space Marines, why do you ask ?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Or you could just get military models and save some cash: https://www.megahobby.com/categories/military-models/1-35-diorama-accessories.html

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

It's a good way to test armies and configurations you don't own before you buy them, or play a practise game against a friend considering getting into it when you don't have a second army ready for them to borrow.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
To be fair, if someone's multibasing their Sigmar dudes so they can use them in both games, I'm not really going to care if they can only fit 3/9 per troop/regiment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

How is it considered acceptable to sell miniatures with no pictures of the minis whatsoever? I saw lots of these at a hobby store I stopped by last week, historical planes and soldiers that just have a painting on the front and nothing more. That seems ridiculous to me.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That's just how scale modeling works. Sometimes you get a picture of the plane on the side of the box, but not all the time. That being said, it is a consistant hobby, you you know what to expect depending on the brand. But yeah, paintings are what you normally get for the box cover.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I dunno, just feels like you have zero confidence in your sculpts at that point. And too lazy to paint one up nice to take a picture to show off?

GW minis are sold by the really amazing Heavy Metal paintjob pictures that they put on every box. That's smart but still lets you see what you're getting.

I prefer to be able to see what the sprue looks like before I buy, even, much less just what the mini looks like. If GW just put some epic painting on the cover of a box, no way would I take a chance on that. Guess you can look them up online these days but it just seems weird and cheap not to have a picture.

I guess scale modelling is so old it comes from when they didn't even have good cameras and that's how they made do, but get with the times.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GW minis were always sold with art on the box until very recently. They usually had the actual model on the sides or back, like historical/gundam models do. Art serves a very good purpose: to inspire the modeler in what their miniature can become, and what they imagine in their heads as they play with them, in a way that realistic photos cannot.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, just feels like you have zero confidence in your sculpts at that point. And too lazy to paint one up nice to take a picture to show off?

GW minis are sold by the really amazing Heavy Metal paintjob pictures that they put on every box. That's smart but still lets you see what you're getting.

I prefer to be able to see what the sprue looks like before I buy, even, much less just what the mini looks like. If GW just put some epic painting on the cover of a box, no way would I take a chance on that. Guess you can look them up online these days but it just seems weird and cheap not to have a picture.

I guess scale modelling is so old it comes from when they didn't even have good cameras and that's how they made do, but get with the times.

All the model aircraft I've done have the usual painting on the front, but then pictures of the sprues and the painted model on the sides/back of the box. I guess it just depends if you buy it online or in a store as to whether you can see those pictures, but you can always look them up elsewhere if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

GW minis were always sold with art on the box until very recently. They usually had the actual model on the sides or back, like historical/gundam models do. Art serves a very good purpose: to inspire the modeler in what their miniature can become, and what they imagine in their heads as they play with them, in a way that realistic photos cannot.

I think art on the box started around 6th edition Fantasy (not sure where 40k was at that time). I definitely remember back in the day that the boxes all had actual models on them up to at least when Regiments of Renown were sold.

• Locked thread