Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Rad, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The F-Mega theme is also in contention for Best Song On The OST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlW3-mBq6e8

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's pretty loving amazing to think Dio was actually there in the opening credits the whole time and that the shadowed scene with the Crusaders represents all the moments where they were about to die. It blows my mind.

Joseph waking up from the dead to gently caress with Jotaro was pretty funny too.

And so that's it. Holly's okay again, Polnareff is going back to France, and the Joestars are going back to Japan to see Holly at home.

And that's all she wrote. Man, what a ride. Bravo! :golfclap:

Now on to Part 4, Diamonds Are Unbreakable, I guess?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I love everything about DIO, but there are better villains than DIO.

I was being more than a little hyperbolic.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(Also, side note, the altered opening was spoiled on accident when I wanted to find the normal opening to watch while I was away from home. YouTube search results can be a real bitch like that. :cripes:)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Madmarker posted:

I was being more than a little hyperbolic.

It's cool, cos I was insinuating DIO is a protagonist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have to say, even though the animation is obviously better here, there's something about the pacing in the OVA I like a lot better. The transition to Dio crawling towards the car to escape was a lot more drawn out and Jotaro was way more terrified and less sure of himself in the OVA. It'd be nice to see Jotaro's confidence in question in a real way for once.

And now that you're finished, I can finally post this stupid thing because I have an excuse to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoi2TKgHMuQ

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

That's not it. There's no electric guitar, it's just a triumphant, epic orchestral march.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Something that always bugged me about part 3: if the whole point of killing Dio was to get rid of Holly's stand, why do Joseph and Jotaro keep theirs?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Antoine Silvere posted:

Something that always bugged me about part 3: if the whole point of killing Dio was to get rid of Holly's stand, why do Joseph and Jotaro keep theirs?

i think dio's negative influence was actually making her stand hurt her.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
so they can punch good

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Antoine Silvere posted:

Araki Forgot.

You could also argue that having control over Stand Power potentially makes it permanent, since a Stand is the result of your own innate psychic potential. Holly's Stand went away because she never really understood it was something other than a weird disease, and never was able to make it a part of what she considered "herself".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Antoine Silvere posted:

Holly probably still has a Stand. She just can't call upon it because it's not within her personality.

Remember that even though Jotaro had the ability to use Star Platinum, it was doing its own thing for a while before he actually manifested it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like to imagine that Joseph discovered Hermit Purple by accident, while he was doing some dumb poo poo like trying Hamon-shoot a soda cap to answer his phone, when instead a bunch of vines came out of his arm and crushed the bottle.

I don't think it's possible for anybody to nail down how he figured out he could karate-chop the poo poo out of a polaroid camera to take clairvoyant photographs, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Antoine Silvere posted:

Holly's too good and lacks the fighting spirt to fully manifest her Stand, so with it being stuck, it's killing her. If she was shot with the Stand Arrow, she'd die like Koichi did basically. DIO's existence triggering Stands in all Joestars was like a version of that. If Joseph or Jotaro were also too kind, the same thing would happen to them, but since they're ready to punch dudes, their Stands manifested and they got to keep em.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Part 3 rules dictate that you have to be a huge rear end in a top hat to be able to use a Stand.

Holly's just too kind.

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 18, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moltrey posted:

If she was shot with the Stand Arrow, she'd die like Koichi did basically.

The biggest shame is that DiU doesn't feature a scene of Holly getting pierced by the Stand Arrow, healed by Josuke, and then she ends up having a Jotaro side when she gets angry.

But she still ends up being a total marshmallow. :3:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The biggest shame is that DiU doesn't feature [...] Holly

Agreed

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Honestly, if a dope like Hazamada can get shot by the arrow and get a stand, the bar must be pretty low. Koichi was really a wimp huh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
being a creepy weirdo makes you 2x as likely to get a stand

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

IronicDongz posted:

being a creepy weirdo makes you 2x as likely to get a stand

And we all know Koichi is as creepy weirdo as it gets.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Koichi cheated to get his stand, the guy has no dignity I tell ya

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not being an rear end in a top hat that gives you a Stand, it's fighting spirit. Tamami has a fighting spirit. Hazamada has a fighting spirit. Koichi was a pure boy who did not.

Holly had less fighting spirit than an actual baby.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
To be fair, it was an evil genius baby.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Doing liveblogging for Parts 1-3 was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the feedback. :) Would you want commentary for Part 4 for what episodes are available or nah?

"There were a lot of hardships, but we had a lot of fun on this trip too, right?"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Doing liveblogging for Parts 1-3 was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the feedback. :) Would you want commentary for Part 4 for what episodes are available or nah?

"There were a lot of hardships, but we had a lot of fun on this trip too, right?"

You're more or less caught up, soon it will be time for you to move beyond anime and Read The Manga

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If you wanna, go for it. Then you can enjoy experiencing it week-to-week with the rest of us.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

multijoe posted:

Read The Manga

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Would you want commentary for Part 4 for what episodes are available or nah?

Yeah. Let's hear it, you ketchup-loving bastard

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't think it's possible for anybody to nail down how he figured out he could karate-chop the poo poo out of a polaroid camera to take clairvoyant photographs, though.

Some stand users just seem to know what it can do innately. Others have to figure it out or only know the gist of it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He probably got really frustrated trying to operate a camera, so he punched it really hard and got a spirit photo by accident.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And then just assumed you needed to smash the camera every time, never thinking to just lightly tap it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dunkle Sans, watch this and see just how much poo poo they snuck into the last opening and ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B_heWWE34I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Tpubt-Yb0

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Dunkle Sans, watch this and see just how much poo poo they snuck into the last opening and ending

Holy poo poo. :stare:

I didn't catch all those even after finishing Part 3. Well played, David Productions.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I thought these analyses of all four of the OPs were kind of neat:

Part 1 - JoJo - Sono Chi No Sadame and Bloody Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5wWOgYTzs
Part 2 - Stand Proud and Sono Chi no Kioku - end of THE WORLD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55MMEXVnPBo (also corrects some errors he made in the previous video)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

hoobajoo posted:

Some stand users just seem to know what it can do innately. Others have to figure it out or only know the gist of it.

I think most people we see with Stands have had them a while right? I dunno if we know how long between Angelo escaping and Episode 1 of Part 4 was, but I think the only people we see earning their Stands and having to figure them out are Jotaro and Koichi, and they take a while to master them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Honestly, I'm still blown away by Araki bookending Part 3 with Star Platinum catching a bullet and having that be important. It's subtle, but there's no way Araki could have added that without it being intentional.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Honestly, I'm still blown away by Araki bookending Part 3 with Star Platinum catching a bullet and having that be important. It's subtle, but there's no way Araki could have added that without it being intentional.

Wait, when did he do that? I don't remember any bullets in DIO's World

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

dio has a cop shoot jotaro to make sure he's dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Literally the beginning of the anime and then at the end either SD or the OVA he did something to a police officer and puppetted them into shooting Jotaro.

• Locked thread