Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tips and optimisation advice welcome.

Imperial Clipper
1 C3 gimballed beam
1 C3 fixed beam
2 C2 gimballed cannons
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...l%20End%20Badly

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Unless engineers allow you to beef up your distributor a lot you're going to run out of power & generate too much heat.

Simple solution is to swap to two medium beams & 2 large cannons :v:

(or 2 large frag cannons :black101:)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Unless engineers allow you to beef up your distributor a lot you're going to run out of power & generate too much heat.

Simple solution is to swap to two medium beams & 2 large cannons :v:

(or 2 large frag cannons :black101:)

I may just give that a shot :D, several stations near where I am have 3c gimballed frags.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 18, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hexenritter posted:

Tips and optimisation advice welcome.

Imperial Clipper
1 C3 gimballed beam
1 C3 fixed beam
2 C2 gimballed cannons
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...l%20End%20Badly

I ran a similar setup for months and months. My advice is to swap out the beams for pulses -- it'll save you headaches.

The good news is that when 2.1 drops c2 beams c3 multis are extremely viable.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I ran a similar setup for months and months. My advice is to swap out the beams for pulses -- it'll save you headaches.

Yeah, I might try switching back to those too while I'm experimenting.

quote:

The good news is that when 2.1 drops c2 beams c3 multis are extremely viable.

This is excellent news. I can't wait to strap those giant rotary mofos on my ships.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Capn Beeb posted:

I've got a Type-6 set up for hauling from ages ago. Which Asp though?
Explorer. If you're interested in Robigo, you'll either want as much cargo capacity as possible if you're cheesing the board to sell the cargo (so a Python, ideally), or if you intend on running the missions, an AspE set up with fuel tanks so you don't need to waste time scooping while dodging cops in the middle of nowhere. Example build here, the lasers are there in the inevitable event you get interdicted, to interrupt cop scans by shooting them once and running away very quickly (hence the A-rated thrusters).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Does chaff disrupt cop scans..?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm not even sure it works on NPC weapons.

Also re: corvette maybe he was trying to hull tank which is silly.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It does not.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Shooting them does :eng101:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mr. Crow posted:

So is SC spamming counter-able and/or no longer a thing in 2.1 because it kind of turned me off this game after I really enjoyed the combat in the early betas and alphas?

What's SC spamming?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Colonial Air Force posted:

What's SC spamming?
Shield cell, I assume. There's a new bonus you can get on railguns that cancels a cell if you hit the shields while it's charging but otherwise it's not only still a thing but NPCs will do it too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

i should clarify

I have a clipper that i have a-rated some stuff on already just to try out.... its just is far more squishy than the vulture for space disco shows so i havent really flown it since buying it without rank requirement a while back.

i tried trading but didnt read the part about robigo and medium pads and clipper and large ships... that was a fun trip with 100T of cargo and no discovery scanner

how do i spend my $20m of bounty money? more clipper upgrades, buy into a trader of sorts, do more rez hunting till i can afford a python/fas/fdl and upgrades?

Don't do Robigo for fun. If you want to make money trading while remaining mildly sane, use http://eddb.io to find trade routes near you, or go participate in hauling CGs, which are set up to be fairly profitable. You don't really need to spend much up-front to get into trading - any D-rated ship with some cargo space and jump-range is all you need, and the Clipper is a perfectly fine trade ship (remember to check pad sizes on EDDB, though!). Instead, keep that money around for the costs of trading - a full load of the most expensive (and therefore most profitable) goods can cost millions of credits, and if you get blown up mid-route then all that money's gone plus you have to pay your rebuy on top of that. There's also rares trading; some stations have unique rare goods whose sell price goes up the farther you get from the station that sells them.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
YMMV, but I found Robigo at least... if not more engaging, then sufficiently different from normal trading that it perks me up to head out there for a few runs now and then.

Anything to excess is just soul-ablating grind, but Robigo isn't in isolation even the worst offender the game has to offer when it comes to grinding for rewards (though it might've been before Power Play was a thing).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pilchenstein posted:

Shield cell, I assume. There's a new bonus you can get on railguns that cancels a cell if you hit the shields while it's charging but otherwise it's not only still a thing but NPCs will do it too.

It's not "a thing" the same way it used to be, for the reasons I mentioned.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think Shine understood and already answered, but for clarification I was indeed talking about shield cells and there was a time when people could just chain pop them and so you'd be stuck fighting some python with 50 shield cell banks and the fights would be super boring and take like 20 minutes a piece.

They were also very fast at refilling the shield so you couldn't out damage it in any way.

Basically what I was asking is if I can equip a weapon that will just say "gently caress your shield cells" and stop it in its tracks, preventing it from regenerating. Additionally / alternatively, if I Frontier changed how they worked to achieve the same effect, where you can only really use maybe one or two in a fight.

Both would be the ideal answer, which I think Shine said is the case.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I just thought you were being hyperbolic with "spamming", yeah it's way, way better than it was back in the day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Crow posted:

I think Shine understood and already answered, but for clarification I was indeed talking about shield cells and there was a time when people could just chain pop them and so you'd be stuck fighting some python with 50 shield cell banks and the fights would be super boring and take like 20 minutes a piece.

They were also very fast at refilling the shield so you couldn't out damage it in any way.

Basically what I was asking is if I can equip a weapon that will just say "gently caress your shield cells" and stop it in its tracks, preventing it from regenerating. Additionally / alternatively, if I Frontier changed how they worked to achieve the same effect, where you can only really use maybe one or two in a fight.

Both would be the ideal answer, which I think Shine said is the case.

Cells cause a huge heat build up and have like a 5 second delay now, so there's that. You can't really spam them without huge amounts of heatsinks. Especially on some bigger ships that like to run hot even before you start popping SCs.

AFAIK the new ~elite pvp~ meta is silent running hull tanking currently :v: (though that might very well change with large autocannons)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Helter Skelter posted:

Explorer. If you're interested in Robigo, you'll either want as much cargo capacity as possible if you're cheesing the board to sell the cargo (so a Python, ideally), or if you intend on running the missions, an AspE set up with fuel tanks so you don't need to waste time scooping while dodging cops in the middle of nowhere. Example build here, the lasers are there in the inevitable event you get interdicted, to interrupt cop scans by shooting them once and running away very quickly (hence the A-rated thrusters).

Nice, thanks. I need to get busy in the RES now :haw:

Also what was that website a while ago where you could browse station's inventories? Kinda wondering who's got military composite armor and how far away they are from me.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Capn Beeb posted:

Also what was that website a while ago where you could browse station's inventories? Kinda wondering who's got military composite armor and how far away they are from me.

Any station that sells the ship will likely sell armor for the ship.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think it's more if the station sells the ship it will sell the bulkheads. Any station I've gone to that has the ship I need has all the bulkhead types. However if the station doesn't sell the ship it will not carry the bulkheads at all.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

IAmTheRad posted:

Any station that sells the ship will likely sell armor for the ship.

Zhen Dock doesn't have any dang armor for my FAS then, dang :(

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Capn Beeb posted:

https://eddb.io/station

Is not %100 but it's done me right enough times.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Capn Beeb posted:

Zhen Dock doesn't have any dang armor for my FAS then, dang :(

Go shop at Yong mart for FAS armor. Seriously, that 15% discount is a huge boon. While it might be a couple of hours in a RES, it's still a couple of hours you will have back. Not to mention lower insurance costs for shopping at Yong-mart, since insurance is done by the cost of the things you put on your ship.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

Truga posted:

AFAIK the new ~elite pvp~ meta is silent running hull tanking currently :v: (though that might very well change with large autocannons)

It's not as viable on the test server, from what I gather. Heat generation has been changed and the number of heat sinks you can carry has dropped. Plus, they added the special effect "emissive rounds" that makes it possible to lock on to silent-runners, although I don't forsee many people keeping them over more useful specials. The current pvp 'meta' is thermal shock weapons, but they're still being adjusted so it's anybody's guess how everything will shake out on the live server.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are hull upgrades worthwhile? Thinking of getting military on my python. I have never upgraded the hull on any of my ships before.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

slidebite posted:

Are hull upgrades worthwhile? Thinking of getting military on my python. I have never upgraded the hull on any of my ships before.

It depends on how much you dip into hull. One thing to keep in mind is they add a lot to your ship's mass which affects your agility, generally I'd say the python's shields are beefy enough that you don't really need the extra hull armor and I would personally rather have the agility.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you like to ram people then more mass is pretty good :black101:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I hope when we get multicrew we get a 2-person fighter with a cockpit setup like the Apache or Cobra with a fully-controllable turret on the nose.

E: Maybe some kind of capital ship with WW2 bomber gunner positions, too.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 19, 2016

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

I hope when we get multicrew we get a 2-person fighter with a cockpit setup like the Apache or Cobra with a fully-controllable turret on the nose.

E: Maybe some kind of capital ship with WW2 bomber gunner positions, too.

The Python kinda has that exact setup, regarding the nose turret

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Is it always on a turret, or is it the 50% damage auto-turret?

My idea is to have it be a turret that's aimed by the gunner.

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

That remains to be seen, as multi-crew is due some time this autumn i belive.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I really hope they introduce some ships or variants of ships designed to be multi-crewed when the patch hits.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can throw a turret on any hard point.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Xae posted:

I really hope they introduce some ships or variants of ships designed to be multi-crewed when the patch hits.

Asps have bunkbed twin command stations, I would love way down the line some explorer discovery bonus rewards you could only get by having a second CMDR in the downstairs chair running complex scans on newly discovered planets.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Multicrew is going to be extremely barebones and will probably not live up to expectations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

_____________ is going to be extremely barebones and will probably not live up to expectations.

:v:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Asps have bunkbed twin command stations, I would love way down the line some explorer discovery bonus rewards you could only get by having a second CMDR in the downstairs chair running complex scans on newly discovered planets.

I was more thinking about the layout of the ships, the positioning of the weapons and even the weapons themselves.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm sceptical about features like that, even if you can somehow force your best friend to sign a bloodpact making him play the game as a fellow explorer for months, how often and how long can both of you actually play at the same time?

Also imagine you reach the other side of the galaxy after a couple weeks and your friend wants to play as a bounty hunter now. What do you do? Force him to wait until you get back? Do you commit suicide and eject all your stored data just so he can have fun?

Exploration and multicrew doesn't really seem like a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

You can throw a turret on any hard point.

No I don't mean like they are now.

I mean like this:

• Locked thread