Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Has anyone tried the Fuji 100-400 (with or without teleconverter) that can give any feedback beyond the sometimes incredibly heavily biased reviews I see linked from Fuji fan sites? I see it's potentially going on sale soon, and it would give me some range beyond the 18-55 I have now. The alternative is to save a bunch of money and buy the 55-200 or similar, or an old manual focus lens and an adapter.

I recognize it's a lot larger than a lot of people want from a mirrorless camera, but given I don't have any other systems, it's not like I'm going to buy a canon just for my telephoto needs.. I'd be using it for bird / animal photos, without any serious professional use, so I assume it's fine for what I need, or more likely, it's a better lens than I know how to use. However, I'd prefer hearing comments from people who have actually tried it out in person.

I've got the X-E2, if that matters; my other lenses are on the shorter end (18-55 kit lens, 35 f/1.4, and 10-24 f/4)

edit:

drat, new page

Birudojin fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It will excel on newer bodies with more AF points and faster AF systems. As such, your X-E2 may not push it to the limit, and I don't think I've seen someone review the 100-400 on anything less than an X-T1.

Aside from that, I'm sure you don't need to worry about optical performance. Fuji just don't make poor lenses, except for some of their first efforts years ago.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I did it, I traded my m4/3 (less than a year old), and some film gear for an X70..... I love it!

So much so I probably could have gotten away with taking my battered X100 and putting that in with the trade pile too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Since I'm not going to have a new camera before I go to Le Mans for the endurance racing next month, I'm going to resurrect my GF1. Trouble is, I've got no lenses for it. I was thinking of just getting a used 20mm pancake, but I'm thinking of going with something cheap and gimmicky instead, like a lens cap fisheye or tilt-shift or something. Emphasis on cheap. Any recommendations?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Linedance posted:

Since I'm not going to have a new camera before I go to Le Mans for the endurance racing next month, I'm going to resurrect my GF1. Trouble is, I've got no lenses for it. I was thinking of just getting a used 20mm pancake, but I'm thinking of going with something cheap and gimmicky instead, like a lens cap fisheye or tilt-shift or something. Emphasis on cheap. Any recommendations?

I'm jealous as gently caress of that trip Le Mans is awesome.

Can you afford to hit up lens rentals or something similar?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Linedance posted:

9mm lenscap is great. It's like shooting gopro with better control and more accurate color.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Linedance posted:

Buy a 20mm on ebay, use it, ebay your money back.

you can always run your images through a bunch of lovely filters if you really like the look.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I'm jealous as gently caress of that trip Le Mans is awesome.

Can you afford to hit up lens rentals or something similar?

This will be my fifth year going and it's not something I ever intend to miss. Last year I had a 100-300mm and 20mm for my GX7, prior to that I had the 20 on the GF1, so something a little different might be fun. I could rent something from Henry's, but I'll probably have it for nearly 2 weeks, so depending on the lens, it will end up costing close to $200 with taxes. Might as well buy something at that point.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ebay rentals best rentals

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Check out c-mount lenses on eBay. Buy a bunch and test them out in your trip. Post results here. You'd be a hero IMO.

they will probably all have severe vignetting

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Check out c-mount lenses on eBay. Buy a bunch and test them out in your trip. Post results here. You'd be a hero IMO.

they will probably all have severe vignetting

Hmm, I do have a m43/t-mount adaptor...

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/QUANTARAY-500mm-F8-TELEPHOTO-LENS-T-MOUNT-/262395768189?nav=SEARCH

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

That thing is actually not THAT bad. My father bought it on a whim a while ago and I tested it on my E-M10 with an adapter. It's surprisingly light too for the FL you get.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I asked about bags a while ago but ended up going with this:

Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 25i. Pretty much the perfect size for what I need and plain enough that it doesn't scream CAMERA BAG.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

This has caused quite the tizzy at Fuji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKB4OHaDwk

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I see an AF joystick. :swoon:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

I see an AF joystick. :swoon:
The battery grip's got one too, though I don't really like adding that much bulk to my mirrorless camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why is joystick so useful, why not just add a touch screen to control AF point?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Why is joystick so useful, why not just add a touch screen to control AF point?

Burn the blasphemer!

I do like focus touch screens but they suck when the screen is wet, are useless when wearing gloves, and apparently Fuji's implementation on the X70 is horrid, while the joystick on the X-Pro2 is genius.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Animal posted:

Burn the blasphemer!

I do like focus touch screens but they suck when the screen is wet, are useless when wearing gloves, and apparently Fuji's implementation on the X70 is horrid, while the joystick on the X-Pro2 is genius.

This is a controller vs mouse argument.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Touch screens are disgusting. Can I get a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder and no back LCD. Cmon.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

whatever7 posted:

This is a controller vs mouse argument.

I don't see how. Ideally we would have both options. But the truth is that touchscreens are useless under certain conditions.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Touch screens are disgusting. Can I get a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder and no back LCD. Cmon.

They've been around for a long long long time now.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Not sure if you're serious, but http://petapixel.com/2016/04/28/no-chimping-leica-reveals-lcd-free-leica-m-d-typ-262/

Also am I the only one who doesn't care about direct control over focus points (unless it's studio or landscape work)? I just focus and re-compose. I also have a button dedicated to af, I don't want that coupled to the shutter release.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Anyone not convinced by focus through touch should try GX8/GX85. Panasonic's implementation is miles better than anything else in the industry. You can drag your finger across the screen while looking through the viewfinder and it's really fast and intuitive.

Joystick is still good though. I got an X-Pro2 because Fuji, and love the control layout.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Anarkii posted:

Anyone not convinced by focus through touch should try GX8/GX85. Panasonic's implementation is miles better than anything else in the industry. You can drag your finger across the screen while looking through the viewfinder and it's really fast and intuitive.

Joystick is still good though. I got an X-Pro2 because Fuji, and love the control layout.

I hope they improved it over the GX7's nose based touch refocusing system.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nobody has bothered posting them but enough XT2 photos have leaked that we basically know it's layout/features at this point. I don't think there any any surprises in store at this point, barring some kind of image stacking 50MP mode.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nobody has bothered posting them but enough XT2 photos have leaked that we basically know it's layout/features at this point. I don't think there any any surprises in store at this point, barring some kind of image stacking 50MP mode.

Yeah I'm more looking forward to what new lenses they're gonna put out, besides the 23/2 WR. Hoping they'll announce the 33/1.0!

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I think they want to complete a 35/50/90 equivalent compact WR prime set first to shore up the X-Pro 2. Currently X-Pro2's faster readout is compatible only with 4 lenses - 16-55, 50-140, 100-400, 35 2.0. And the big zooms don't work that great with a rangefinder style body.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

BlackMK4 posted:

The Oly PEN-F is much cheaper than the Leica, still has access to great Voigtlander glass, and I never unfold the screen.

Plus, if you fold in the screen and don't use the EVF much battery life is amazing.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

windex posted:

The Oly PEN-F is much cheaper than the Leica, still has access to great Voigtlander glass, and I never unfold the screen.
To be fair you can say that about p much any mirrorless system nowadays.

quote:

Plus, if you fold in the screen and don't use the EVF much battery life is amazing.
So do you just spray and pray all the time?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

fartmanteau posted:

So do you just spray and pray all the time?

I go between the Voigtlander 17.5 and the Kowa 8.5 and have devised a pretty good pinhole style framing mentality that works for me. I get like 90% of my wanted shots and 10% of my chance shots to work out one exposure per motive and I'm pretty happy with this. I've worked that up from about 5% back in January.

I also shoot a Bessa T with no viewfinder and I have closer to a 50% keep rate in general with it because I slow down a lot. Most of my problems there are not having a perfect exposure since Tri-X is difficult to nail perfectly (I usually meter for ISO 800 then push to 1600 and am reasonably pleased with most results).

The positive side of this is that it's greatly improved my composition on my 5D3 as well, when using the viewfinder.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

As someone for whom composition (and framing) is key, :psyduck:

windex
Aug 2, 2006

fartmanteau posted:

As someone for whom composition (and framing) is key, :psyduck:

Yeah, but I find I pay a lot better attention to my environment with the camera in my hand instead of at my face. I also shoot events in low light (mostly music, but I did some afterparty recently), and all that is, is high ISO spray and pray, even with a 5D3, AF, viewfinder and some attention to framing. My keep rate doing that is also abysmal.

I would say that where I shrug off some composition rules I get a bonus out of more interesting subjects, since I usually wait for them to be doing something interesting. A less than perfectly composed photo of people being interesting is worth more to me than a well composed photo with a boring subject.

So, to each his own? I spent many years shooting a Hassy 500C on a tripod, I know how to frame and compose ... it just doesn't get me the results I want.

(At a 4 day work related event last year, I took about 3200 photos and kept about 400. That was on the better end of things, as we had some good lighting.)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It makes sense for very wide angle stuff. As long as you're pointing the camera basically where you're looking, generally WYSIWYG. Obviously any kind of telephoto, macro, or point focus sort of stuff, you're going to need a screen or viewfinder.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

You guys are reminding me about the time when I used bulb mode exclusively and manually adjusted my exposure depending on how fast my finger twitched.

That's also when I learned that you can only go as fast as 1/60s or so in bulb mode!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

windex posted:

Most of my problems there are not having a perfect exposure since Tri-X is difficult to nail perfectly (I usually meter for ISO 800 then push to 1600 and am reasonably pleased with most results).

Tri-X is one of the most forgiving films on the planet, what are you developing it in?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just bought an XT1 because I am a moron who didn't do any research or want to wait. I love it but how stupid was I? I had sold my camera gear for money during my separation and loved my X100 + wanted the XT1 ever since it came out...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean as long as you didn't get fleeced I don't see the problem. A new camera coming out doesn't make your existing X-T1 garbage. It's a fine camera.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah, I am certainly not disappointed by it. And I picked up the 35mm f/2 as well, which I am loving. Mainly just second guessing myself if an updated body is right around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

rio posted:

Yeah, I am certainly not disappointed by it. And I picked up the 35mm f/2 as well, which I am loving. Mainly just second guessing myself if an updated body is right around the corner.

Well, there was a recent leak showing pretty much a complete, physical X-T2, so take that as you will