Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

panda clue posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the original MEHEM, which tried to actually add a bunch of random content. In the 'alternate' he's apparently removed that dumb bullshit, and just stole a scene from that mod that puts Shep in the memorial scene on the ship, and adds some more end slides.

Also, since this was the first time I was even made aware of its existence, anyone know why the dialogue between Shep and Anderson in the last sequence was so heavily cut?

I don't think any one is really aware why that specific dialogue was cut. You can hear it on Youtube if you want, it's basically a conversation about how neither Anderson nor Shepard ever really had time for their own family, or anything other than soldiering, and how Anderson thinks Shepard could have been a good father/mother (despite Shepard thinking otherwise, and that some of the things he/she had to do isn't really something to be proud of). If it was cut for anything other than time, I'd probably imagine it might be because it's a rather specific thing that not all players, particularly younger ones, might not really care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

Shameful

Anderson's final dialogue was cut down because it was too long, and the ME3 ending already has major pacing issues as it is.

You analyze this game like a lot of my professors analyze classic literature. Are you an English professor?

And I disagree, Anderson's cut dialogue adds to the ending, and doesn't SEEM too long, thus the pacing was fine.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Lt. Danger posted:

Anderson's final dialogue was cut down because it was too long,

Hmm, yes, one minute is much much better than three.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Also, cutting the Star Child stuff would have shaved at least twenty minutes off the ending, and four years of bitching.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Installing a massive HD textural overhaul of ME3 before I start, and I find it incredibly entertaining that there appears to be a texture update for the face of every single current and former squad member except for Jacob.

racist

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm trying to imagine what it's like to be so emotionally distraught over an ending to a video game that four years later you have to install a z-grade fan mod and say "la la la I'm not listening," but then again, I've never worn a dress.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

panda clue posted:

Installing a massive HD textural overhaul of ME3 before I start, and I find it incredibly entertaining that there appears to be a texture update for the face of every single current and former squad member except for Jacob.

racist

At least it's not like Vivienne from DA:I where the only texture mods were about making her white.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

drkeiscool posted:

Also, cutting the Star Child stuff would have shaved at least twenty minutes off the ending, and four years of bitching.

I really want to see the whole thing mercilessly mocked in later games.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I'm trying to imagine what it's like to be so emotionally distraught over an ending to a video game that four years later you have to install a z-grade fan mod and say "la la la I'm not listening," but then again, I've never worn a dress.

do you get this upset when you find out people install fallout4 mods?

Kat Delacour posted:

At least it's not like Vivienne from DA:I where the only texture mods were about making her white.

:yikes:

panda clue fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 19, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bloatfly tits are more tasteful and higher quality than insane ME3 ending denialist mods.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Bloatfly tits are more tasteful and higher quality than insane ME3 ending denialist mods.

I gotta know: do you really enjoy the endings, do you think that we should follow author intent, or do you just dislike complaining?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
im pretty sure you're more emotionally distraught about me installing a mass effect 3 mod than I am about 'the ending'. I noticed it on a mod website, read some reviews that said it was actually really well done, and figured i would ask around if any goons have played through it. didn't realize i was going to be hitting your trigger button so hard

Geostomp posted:

I gotta know: do you really enjoy the endings, do you think that we should follow author intent, or do you just dislike complaining?

its not the latter because I wasn't even complaining - I just asked if anyone had tried it before.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kat Delacour posted:

poo poo, you could color her purple with yellow polka dots and she'd still be a bitch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Geostomp posted:

All of the above.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
pretty sure no ending can make me actually upset anymore after how empty season 6 of LOST left me

id take me3 ending with shephard saying "open comms" and farting into the speaker for 20 minutes over having to live through that again

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The fact that a lot, if not most of the 'we'll never back down until Bioware changes the ending. Hold the line!' crowd went quiet when Citadel came out shows that most of their complaints about plotholes and :jerkbag: were a bunch of crap. They just wanted more LI sexybangtime and a party.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Mass Effect has a page in the top ten longest Wikipedia articles.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/05/18/the-top-10-longest-wikipedia-articles/

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

All of the above.

My next question is why? That ending was about as close to an objective example of terrible writing as is possible. It made no sense, it ignores details such as the Citadel controlling the Relay network,, introduces entirely new element at the eleventh hour that override all that was previously established, and solves all problems in illogical manners with a very literal dues ex machina in the shape of a character that existed as transparent attempt at emotional manipulation using the lowest common denominator. It was not an example of real vision since it was hammered out at the last minute by two people solely because the writing process was so poor that they didn't have an ending until almost time to ship. Their response was a frankly insulting attempt to gloss over all this by misrepresenting actual complaints as the audience "just not getting it" or that it was "too sad". The EC was an attempt to make up for it, but there was no way to polish a turd like this. If anything, it made things worse by doubling down on the assumption that the magic green light makes life perfect somehow.

The game's writing was bad all around, but that ending was utterly abysmal. What is there to like about it?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

who knew the dutch were so crafty?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

panda clue posted:

im pretty sure you're more emotionally distraught about me installing a mass effect 3 mod than I am about 'the ending'. I noticed it on a mod website, read some reviews that said it was actually really well done, and figured i would ask around if any goons have played through it. didn't realize i was going to be hitting your trigger button so hard

its not the latter because I wasn't even complaining - I just asked if anyone had tried it before.

I use it. It doesn't alter the ending dramatically, in fact it removes the whole 'geth die' part of Destroy which annoys me, but it pretty much has an essential part which is Shepard putting Anderson's name on the Wall, and then hugging his LI, which feels satisfying.

Nothing wrong with mods.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nothing wrong with mods.

gonna make an indoctrination theory ending mod just to make exquisite tea's head explode

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The ending was bad, but I have forgiven it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bongo Bill posted:

The ending was bad, but I have forgiven it.

it's been four years, we all gotta move on sometime

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I'll move on when a new series comes out that captures so many years of my life in so many playthroughs and sessions as ME did.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The ending is bad.

The EC is bad too, which is really funny.

Citadel is basically Bioware coughing awkwardly and slipping their players the 'actual ending' without actually saying they made a new ending.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

wookieepelt posted:

You analyze this game like a lot of my professors analyze classic literature. Are you an English professor?

And I disagree, Anderson's cut dialogue adds to the ending, and doesn't SEEM too long, thus the pacing was fine.

Thank you, but no. I just read the text and think about what it means. That sounds really trite, but... well, you know.

With Anderson, the cut dialogue doubles in length what is already quite a slow, low energy scene, and doesn't really add anything new or interesting or relevant - it's essentially "you're my protege, Shepard" in longer form. It's good (because Keith David), but it's not necessary, and it's right where the game needs to be pushing forward towards a climax and finish. With a differently arranged ending without those problems, sure, yeah, keep it in, why not? That's my guess, anyway.

exquisite tea posted:

People who are cool and like and understand the ME3 ending

People who dislike the ending

People who get sincerely mad about the ending

People who pretend the ending doesn't exist and install mods to overwrite the ending because they're so emotionally fragile I mean good grief

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Geostomp posted:

My next question is why? That ending was about as close to an objective example of terrible writing as is possible. It made no sense, it ignores details such as the Citadel controlling the Relay network,, introduces entirely new element at the eleventh hour that override all that was previously established, and solves all problems in illogical manners with a very literal dues ex machina in the shape of a character that existed as transparent attempt at emotional manipulation using the lowest common denominator. It was not an example of real vision since it was hammered out at the last minute by two people solely because the writing process was so poor that they didn't have an ending until almost time to ship. Their response was a frankly insulting attempt to gloss over all this by misrepresenting actual complaints as the audience "just not getting it" or that it was "too sad". The EC was an attempt to make up for it, but there was no way to polish a turd like this. If anything, it made things worse by doubling down on the assumption that the magic green light makes life perfect somehow.

The game's writing was bad all around, but that ending was utterly abysmal. What is there to like about it?

I think it's a total thematic failure, but failures can also be interesting in and of themselves.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Mass Effect 3 ending is no better or worse than the rest of the writing, the gameplay or the art design of Mass Effect 3.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

sassassin posted:

The Mass Effect 3 ending is no better or worse than the rest of the writing, the gameplay or the art design of Mass Effect 3.

This guy gets it! I loved ME3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

I agree, it all owns.

Monni
Apr 24, 2010
Lt. Danger, why are you such a smug dumbass? Can't you just choose one or the other?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Monni posted:

Lt. Danger, why are you such a smug dumbass? Can't you just choose one or the other?

24 days and a wakeup until the big infodump on ME:A at EA Play

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Monni posted:

"Smug dumbass" should replace the "Sarcastic" response in all future Bioware dialogue wheels.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Lt. Danger posted:

People who pretend the ending doesn't exist and install mods to overwrite the ending because they're so emotionally fragile I mean good grief

lol, the second person on just this page to literally devolve into slinging insults because I asked about a mod.

i think you're projecting with the 'emotionally fragile' comments if someone installing a mod gets your blood flowing.

'aurgh, all those emotionally fragile babies installing fallout mods to remove the green hue on everything!!! IDIOT BABIES JUST DEAL WITH IT, ITS THEIR ARTISTIC VISION OF THE GAME FOR EVERYTHING TO BE GREEN!!!! FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!'

panda clue
May 23, 2014
i cant believe four years after the fact people are still fighting about the ending, and we still have people like this smug rear end in a top hat saying "you plebs just dont get it :smug:". loving lmao, well played bioware

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

panda clue posted:

i cant believe four years after the fact people are still fighting about the ending, and we still have people like this smug rear end in a top hat saying "you plebs just dont get it :smug:". loving lmao, well played bioware

that's because there's nothing else to talk about regarding me3 because the rest of it is, compared to its predecessors, bland. or forgettable. or obnoxious fanservice. at least the ending is an exciting garbage dumpster fire instead of a lukewarm pile of mush

me1 forever. gently caress EA. drew karpyshyn owns

panda clue
May 23, 2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

me1 forever. gently caress EA. drew karpyshyn owns

me1 will also always hold a special place in my heart (despite having some really gruling parts). Lots of people hate on 2 since it was mostly just 'building the team', but I still think the Suicide Mission was one of the most well put together Bioware RPG sequences they've ever done. The first time going through it was really a magical experience.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you play ME on a PC you are the scum of the galaxy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Drew Karpyhsyn's greatest trick was convincing people he was a good writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

panda clue posted:

me1 will also always hold a special place in my heart (despite having some really gruling parts). Lots of people hate on 2 since it was mostly just 'building the team', but I still think the Suicide Mission was one of the most well put together Bioware RPG sequences they've ever done. The first time going through it was really a magical experience.

Yeah, I thought that having a suicide mission where people could actually permanently die based on your choices/preparation was the coolest thing ever. Then you realize how easy it is to just have everyone live every time without any real effort or difficult choices and it sucks the wind out a bit but the first time was cool!!

Not as cool as climbing the citadel though

• Locked thread