Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wateroverfire posted:

Wow. It costs almost 20x as much to employ union welders in Alameda county as it does to hire Slovenians. :staredog:

Not after these lawsuits! :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I've been seeing a lot of articles in my feed lately about "how the bubble isn't about to burst" "the unicorn problem will fix itself" "how this bubble is different" and it's coming off like denial for some reason.

You don't say.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

wateroverfire posted:

Wow. It costs almost 20x as much to employ union welders in Alameda county as it does to hire Slovenians. :staredog:

Turns out the end result of hyper-aggressive cost cutting combined with an utter contempt for labor is human trafficking slavery.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

wateroverfire posted:

I can't tell if this is trying to convey admiration at the cost savings or sympathy for the Slovenians

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cultural Imperial posted:

What's changed is a bunch of hedge funds and VCs withdrawing their money because these companies aren't ever going to be profitable.

But they don't care about profitability, just that they are able to sell their share of the company to make their money back and then some. But tech stocks got hammered this year, the tech IPOs that occurred were pretty underwhelming compared to the companies' VC valuations, Google Facebook and Apple have shown few signs of wanting to buy a bunch of unicorns, and a lot of companies had down rounds of fundraising. All that has spooked VCs greatly because it means they might not be able to find a greater fool to give them their profit.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

eschaton posted:

Turns out the end result of hyper-aggressive cost cutting combined with an utter contempt for labor is human trafficking slavery.

What's frustrating is there'd totally be room for a win-win. Like $12 an hour plus a dorm would be more than livable in CA, they'd spend some money here and then could still take the lion's share home. In the same way call centers in India are providing the 24/7 service we demand while creating a middle class lifestyle there, but nope gotta squeeze every last bit of marrow from the worker's bones! :capitalism:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cultural Imperial posted:

What's changed is a bunch of hedge funds and VCs withdrawing their money because these companies aren't ever going to be profitable.

Don't worry. I'm sure someone will disrupt the venture capitalist funding cycle soon.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Coolness Averted posted:

What's frustrating is there'd totally be room for a win-win. Like $12 an hour plus a dorm would be more than livable in CA, they'd spend some money here and then could still take the lion's share home. In the same way call centers in India are providing the 24/7 service we demand while creating a middle class lifestyle there, but nope gotta squeeze every last bit of marrow from the worker's bones! :capitalism:

The boss man does 40 hours a week + 40 hours unpaid overtime (because he is a tech nerd billionaire), so everyone in the company has to work 40 hours a week + 40 hours unpaid overtime. Duh.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blowfish posted:

The boss man does 40 hours a week + 40 hours unpaid overtime (because he is a tech nerd billionaire), so everyone in the company has to work 40 hours a week + 40 hours unpaid overtime. Duh.

A week ago I was having a conversation about why tech wasn't unionizing, when I commented that Elon Musk seemed like the sort of employer that would have been machine gunning his workers a hundred years ago. No one at the table thought that was a controversial opinion, and Mr. Musk is doing his best to not dissuade it either.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ocrumsprug posted:

A week ago I was having a conversation about why tech wasn't unionizing, when I commented that Elon Musk seemed like the sort of employer that would have been machine gunning his workers a hundred years ago. No one at the table thought that was a controversial opinion, and Mr. Musk is doing his best to not dissuade it either.

To be unnecessarily fair, that's "only" because he comes off as the sort of detached robot weirdo who would think "worker units are malfunctioning: destroy and replace immediately"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

To be unnecessarily fair, that's "only" because he comes off as the sort of detached robot weirdo who would think "worker units are malfunctioning: destroy and replace immediately"

"If other people are putting in 40 hours in a week, and you're putting in 100, you will achieve in four months, what it takes them a year to achieve."
- Elon Musk, noted tech nerd billionaire who can work infinitely long with no loss in productivity

It amazes me that he can trot out this bullshit repeatedly without getting called on it when there is a very well-known and prominent body of research showing the contrary

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

It's not Elon Musk but this tech recruiter rear end in a top hat is quite up front about his opinion towards labor:

quote:

Unsurprisingly, many people have called these views into question. And in response, St. John has doubled down on his philosophies with "Enslaving the Masses," an extended explanation of the ideas espoused in his original PowerPoint. The new piece outlines at length the idea that a victimhood mentality disempowers millennials to succeed through hard work, and that brutally honest and driven mentoring is the key to stripping millennials of their entitlement: "Kids can develop advanced computing skills at an early age very fast in the right environment (under a whip)."

He also states that women don't advance in tech because they're "fatally compromised with victimology psychosis," which prevents them from succeeding in a career in where they otherwise would "have it made." Later, he adds, "Shhhh don’t think, just put on the chains honey."

Beyond his emphasis on "recruiting the wives and girlfriends" and targeting people with Asperger's syndrome, nowhere in his presentation or follow-up statements does St. John address the need to hire diversely in a white male tech environment.

Instead, he focuses on the word "fragile," inserting it again and again into his narrative of a fictional corporate maladjustee: "You're too fragile to hear the message and you'll just sue them if you can, so you live in a confused defeatist bubble wondering why your career options seem limited," he writes, speaking directly to anyone who hasn't embraced the idea of working endless overtime in a frenzied, unhealthy environment. Better, healthier, and more socially nuanced working conditions are anathema to his goal of "turning fragile lazy millennials into useful fodder for the machines of industry."

nachos posted:

"If other people are putting in 40 hours in a week, and you're putting in 100, you will achieve in four months, what it takes them a year to achieve."
- Elon Musk, noted tech nerd billionaire who can work infinitely long with no loss in productivity

It amazes me that he can trot out this bullshit repeatedly without getting called on it when there is a very well-known and prominent body of research showing the contrary

Every young go-getter thinks they (and by extension everyone else) can work endless hours right until they can't, and burn out or have a nervous breakdown.

E: I wouldn't be surprised if the insane lack of sleep people brag about operating on nowadays ends up being this generation's "tobacco doesn't cause cancer." We still know jack poo poo about the specific purpose and importance of sleep and people seem to think they can just blow it off or "optimize" their way out of needing it, as if not being a "super sleeper" that somehow only requires under 5 hours a night is a personal failing.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 18, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Musk is claiming on twitter that they paid the recruiter 55$ an hour for the workers, not 5.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Discendo Vox posted:

Musk is claiming on twitter that they paid the recruiter 55$ an hour for the workers, not 5.

e: I didn't read the article and thought he was working from Slovenia somehow.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 19, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This isn't exactly a disruptive tech breakthrough. My local Stop&Shop has a program that does the same thing and allows for either pickup or home delivery, and it's been around for a few years at least.
It's probably the under-the-hood implementation that they're planning on innovating with.

Konstantin posted:

Reminds me of grocery shopping in the early 20th century, you would go in, tell the clerk what you wanted, and they would get it for you. This isn't a new concept, it was abandoned the first time due to the amount of labor it required, as well as a massive increase in selection.
Amazon probably has some logistical improvements that they think will make it work (better). Robots picking stuff, conveyor belts, that kind of thing.

That other stores also do this kind of thing isn't very informative by itself. Amazon beat a lot (and continues to beat) a lot of stores that sell things online, too.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Discendo Vox posted:

That's probably what they were billed, yeah. I read a story about some consulting agency importing and criminally underpaying IT workers every few years, usually from India. They undercut the market a bit and pocket the massive difference.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Munkeymon posted:

That's probably what they were billed, yeah. I read a story about some consulting agency importing and criminally underpaying IT workers every few years, usually from India. They undercut the market a bit and pocket the massive difference.
Ignore what I said here before I read the article and he really is Slovenian.

I don't even know what happened :shobon:. Reading the article it does seem like something pretty dodgy was going on. I just wanted to point out that Slovenia isn't exactly what comes to mind when I think of an eastern European shithole someone would want to escape from. I've been there a few times, and it's a fairly nice place. Like why the hell would he move to the US to work for 5$ an hour? I suppose maybe there really aren't any jobs, but even then, why didn't he move to Germany, or Britain I guess if he only speaks English and that was a problem. I don't get it. Maybe he doesn't even speak English and just went with whatever the Slovenian company told him for Slovenian minimum wage. Even then it's a bit weird, and probably miserable for everyone involved (except Musk).

Like, I don't get how he went along with it. Even if he's poor it's just, I don't know. I mean surviving in the US on what is literally Slovenian minimum wage? How is that not the craziest proposition no matter who you are. Maybe he just really didn't think about it, but still, it's really messed up.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 19, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Rhesus Pieces posted:

E: I wouldn't be surprised if the insane lack of sleep people brag about operating on nowadays ends up being this generation's "tobacco doesn't cause cancer." We still know jack poo poo about the specific purpose and importance of sleep and people seem to think they can just blow it off or "optimize" their way out of needing it, as if not being a "super sleeper" that somehow only requires under 5 hours a night is a personal failing.

I read an article not long ago which ranked sleep by social class. Working class people got the least sleep on average, no surprise when you consider they are probably working two jobs to survive, or in shift work that doesn't benefit a regular sleep pattern. And amount of rest per night increased as wealth went up. Almost as though rich people can afford to work less yet may be inclined to pretend to be super-productive.

There's also been studies to show that children from lower socioeconomic status homes have poorer sleep, and are more susceptible to the effects of poor sleep than those from higher SES homes.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Plenty of c-suite types have very little separating work from lifestyle so it's not surprising they report long hours

I thought about strategy, read some reports, answered email, dined with people, gave a presentation in a tropical getaway, etc; that racks up a lot of fuzzy time

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Musk's quote insinuates you only need to put in a 100 hour workweek to get everything that month completed.

If it was 'work a 100hr workweek then get the next three weeks off' that would be one thing. But if course we all know that's not the case.

I'm just grateful my maximum allowed working hours are mandated by the federal government at my job and my Union negotiates that maximum even lower. Also overtime is voluntary which means only the people that want to work 50 hour work weeks do it. Everybody wins.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

Plenty of c-suite types have very little separating work from lifestyle so it's not surprising they report long hours

I thought about strategy, read some reports, answered email, dined with people, gave a presentation in a tropical getaway, etc; that racks up a lot of fuzzy time

CEOs have been pretty routinely padding their hours with stupid bullshit for like...ever. An all day golf outing with your business partners counts as a day's work if you're c-level.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

CEOs have been pretty routinely padding their hours with stupid bullshit for like...ever. An all day golf outing with your business partners counts as a day's work if you're c-level.

I'm not sure what it means to pad your hours when you don't have an expectation of working a set number of hours in the first place.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Gotta pad your hours for the media puff pieces

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

nachos posted:

Has he solved the problem of diminishing returns? Truly he is a genius.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

blah_blah posted:

I'm not sure what it means to pad your hours when you don't have an expectation of working a set number of hours in the first place.

When your employees start complaining that they're overworked you can just go "well I worked 75 hours a week last year. What did you scrubs do, hmm? Better give myself a raise for holding this company together."

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
My old boss would claim 12 and 13 hour days, which generally meant coming in at 9, taking lunch from 11-3 (which included a massage and generally a shopping trip somewhere), then he'd take off for dinner with the other c-levels at 4:30, and continue drinking with them until 10.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Panfilo posted:

Musk's quote insinuates you only need to put in a 100 hour workweek to get everything that month completed.

If it was 'work a 100hr workweek then get the next three weeks off' that would be one thing. But if course we all know that's not the case.

I'm just grateful my maximum allowed working hours are mandated by the federal government at my job and my Union negotiates that maximum even lower. Also overtime is voluntary which means only the people that want to work 50 hour work weeks do it. Everybody wins.

Yeah govt contracting is pretty sweet. In my field, get paid for each hour worked, whatever the amount, can't be compelled to work more hours over 40, and illegal to work from home.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
At my job you always put 40 hours on your timecard but it's supposed to represent the percentage of effort per task not how many real hours you may have worked; you can't put more than 40 without permission

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bushiz posted:

My old boss would claim 12 and 13 hour days, which generally meant coming in at 9, taking lunch from 11-3 (which included a massage and generally a shopping trip somewhere), then he'd take off for dinner with the other c-levels at 4:30, and continue drinking with them until 10.

Office-work, procurement and client outreach. Not bad.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lancemantis posted:

At my job you always put 40 hours on your timecard but it's supposed to represent the percentage of effort per task not how many real hours you may have worked; you can't put more than 40 without permission

haha what the gently caress

do you get to check off on your current week's spirit animal?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

lancemantis posted:

So you're supposed to ask permission from the boss to give 110% because it costs payroll more money?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Let's be honest. The practical application is that Musk and those cargo-culting after him want to pay 1 person to do the work of 3.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Let's be honest. The practical application is that Musk and those cargo-culting after him want to pay 1 person to do the work of 3.

Everyone wants this. From Musk on down to the unpaid internships on Craigslist that just happen to involve 40 hour workweeks and expert level skillsets.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So you're supposed to ask permission from the boss to give 110% because it costs payroll more money?

There's no law that says you can't give 100%+ in 40hrs. or less in one work week. Quality not quantity.

Is this mentality reaching Scandinavia/ Northern Europe? It seems like the work culture there wants you to work as efficiently as possible at your time in the office and then go the gently caress away.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Private Speech posted:

Ignore what I said here before I read the article and he really is Slovenian.

I don't even know what happened :shobon:. Reading the article it does seem like something pretty dodgy was going on. I just wanted to point out that Slovenia isn't exactly what comes to mind when I think of an eastern European shithole someone would want to escape from. I've been there a few times, and it's a fairly nice place. Like why the hell would he move to the US to work for 5$ an hour? I suppose maybe there really aren't any jobs, but even then, why didn't he move to Germany, or Britain I guess if he only speaks English and that was a problem. I don't get it. Maybe he doesn't even speak English and just went with whatever the Slovenian company told him for Slovenian minimum wage. Even then it's a bit weird, and probably miserable for everyone involved (except Musk).

Like, I don't get how he went along with it. Even if he's poor it's just, I don't know. I mean surviving in the US on what is literally Slovenian minimum wage? How is that not the craziest proposition no matter who you are. Maybe he just really didn't think about it, but still, it's really messed up.

They're still sitting at close to 17% unemployment in some areas like the mining town the guy was from.
Allegedly he was promised 25-30K annually (plus housing) originally to work on the east coast in a more rural area doing construction when he signed on only to be told the plan had changed right before traveling. Poor guy also had a pregnant girlfriend back home.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Any word on whether these scumbags are also holding the workers' passports "for safekeeping?" It wouldn't surprise me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

Imagine if the IT department of a company like Amazon or Google went on strike and shut down the servers for weeks.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Unguided posted:

Imagine if the IT department of a company like Amazon or Google went on strike and shut down the servers for weeks.

Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.

Shagman
Oct 25, 2007

Blood for the Blood Puddle!
Skulls for the Skull Pile!
So Theranos just invalidated 2 years of test results.
Wall Street Journal article which broke the story (may be behind a paywall)

Apparently it's unprecedented in the medical field to blanket recall tests like that; they may recall an individual type of test (calcium or whatever) but never all the tests. Like how automobile manufacturer sometimes recall cars because one part can malfunction, but never because all of the parts can malfunction.

Though the real funny thing is that many of the tests were not run on their revolutionary Edison machines but on regular competitor's machines, and they still hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Theranos' technology doesn't work and never has worked lol.