Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

drat. You know you work at an awesome place when your boss is telling you to blatently lie about something to colleagues so he looks good. The Peter Principle prevails once again at the community college. Also, gently caress that guy. The truth always wins.*

*Truth with documentation always wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo Wisconsin :stare:

To be fair, I suppose I'd probably be a drunk if I still lived there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

fyodor posted:

That sounds like a goony goon.

If that's a goon, that makes it legitimately creepy, seeing as when I set up an install date, they pulled my credit - and due to the fraud alert on my credit, had me verify a bunch of poo poo on my credit file.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

Day three of the new "workflow process" and the daily meeting is already up at 35 minutes, this morning is literally just sorting through emails and filing them on SharePoint despite the fact that I could reply to them way faster.

Send help.

Ha. We just started sharepoint at work also.

Today I was told to email updates to a document to someone so he could update it.

Said document is an unlocked working copy that any one of us can update, but he's still trying to justify how he wastes his day.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Liquid Communism posted:

That list could alternatively be titled 'College Towns with small non-student populations'. Ames and Iowa City, home to ISU and the University of Iowa are both on the list.

A few of those Wisconsin have only 2-year schools or fairly small private colleges. But, Wisconsin I guess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My local car dealership keeps sending out these "CodeKase" poker chips once a year with "SEE IF YOU'VE WON!! COME IN FOR YOUR SPECIAL PRIZE" written on them.

Every time I immediately crack it open and remove the battery and LED to the safety of my parts bin before throwing the rest away.

I'm of mixed minds about it. On one hand, free parts.

On the other hand, considering how many people probably throw these away in the garbage without removing the alkaline battery first, these assholes have probably done more to ruin the environment than I ever will.

Euthanize all marketers.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

^

That makes me happy.

:krad::hf::perfect:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Devyl posted:

Also, TWC is still rock-solid in my area. I am the 1%

Faster than 96% of US so wouldn't you be the 4%

Fiber supremacy

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Gotten to the point where running a 5k at a reasonable pace is simple work.

I'm signed up for a half marathon in November. It's the first one I've ever done. I'm really looking forward to it, but I've got a long way to go.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Ha. We just started sharepoint at work also.

Holy goddamn, I'm sorry. We've been running it since 2008 and it is a slice of overpriced mediocrity and the reason why I'm going to Vegas next week; Sharepoint developer training.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think someone at RockAuto is having a giggle at me as i look for parts for my new truck:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

angryhampster posted:

Gotten to the point where running a 5k at a reasonable pace is simple work.

I'm signed up for a half marathon in November. It's the first one I've ever done. I'm really looking forward to it, but I've got a long way to go.
I'm signed up for a half in November which had better be pretty easy because I've also got a full scheduled for early december.

I can do about 3 miles right now.
Summer gonn' be FUN.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

keykey posted:

Holy goddamn, I'm sorry. We've been running it since 2008 and it is a slice of overpriced mediocrity and the reason why I'm going to Vegas next week; Sharepoint developer training.

The whole point was to make life easier. But now ten minute meetings have turned into 45 minute meetings. And no one actually knows how to use it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Also, just missed a call from Frontier (caller ID shows the same number I called to set up service)... they left a voicemail saying "your worst nightmare" in a creepy voice. :stare: Their call center supes are pulling call recordings now.

Bet it's one of the guys you used to work with in the call center at Frontier.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man all this over/under 30 talk scares the gently caress out of me considering I'm graduating right around my 30th birthday.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

loving stuck waiting for toyota to ring me to tell me my axle shafts are finished... Cant do anything more on the car until i can put the back wheels back on, because i'm ballsy, but not loving stupid enough to lift a 3200kg vehicle in the air on 4 jack stands on slightly compacted road base...

11 years and 280,000kms of gear changes does a hell of a number on the shifter bushings. That would go a long way to explaining why the gearshift was as loose as a high mileage hooker and shook like Michael J. Fox when you went over corrugations!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

The whole point was to make life easier. But now ten minute meetings have turned into 45 minute meetings. And no one actually knows how to use it.

For us its part of some "lean" horseshit which means we've now gone from one 15 minute meeting a week to 20 minute daily meetings about "how to file an email" and now requiring two people to work full time just reviewing emails, saving them to the shared LAN and then filing them in sharepoint.

But you know whatever, if you want me to spend 4 hours a day meticulously pouring over emails line by line without ever touching them, decline to quote on anything for even the smallest bit of missing information like my coworkers all do because they're lazy inflexible fucks, and then file them into the cluster-gently caress monstrosity you've created in sharepoint I can do that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Bet it's one of the guys you used to work with in the call center at Frontier.

They don't do FiOS at that call center - they do DSL and dialup only (plus POTS-related sales). Also I didn't know anybody at all in sales or customer service; knew a few people in tech, but they've all moved on.

(that was the first thing that came to mind for me too)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

The easiest way to describe and deal with SharePoint is MS office multiplayer edition. Except it requires the SharePoint server, an Ms SQL server, a front end appliance, a load balancing server, and a server for backups. And your company still has to pay for loving office on top of it which is essentially what it was meant to integrate with. So, it's an enterprise appliance suite meant to play multiplayer word with. All at the low introductory price of at least 50k for hardware and low 100k's for software. That's not even a person to maintain the goddamn thing and yearly maintenance fees. It's a bloated out piece of poo poo that's a jack of all trades, yet a master of none. Best of all, out the gate it was an antiquated piece of poo poo that could have been accomplished for free with Google docs/other poo poo.

Oh, also just wait until upper management finds workflows plugins that make your life hell they can't live without that will cripple everything you've tried to do. Oh, also enable the ms access switch, you'll thank me later. Also if it isn't enabled out the gate, you're hosed if you ever want to switch it on.. You have to rebuild it from the ground up and try to restore your site.

keykey fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 19, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

The easiest way to describe and deal with SharePoint is MS office multiplayer edition. Except it requires the SharePoint server, an Ms SQL server, a front end appliance, a load balancing server, and a server for backups. And your company still has to pay for loving office on top of it which is essentially what it was meant to integrate with. So, it's an enterprise appliance suite meant to play multiplayer word with. All at the low introductory price of at least 50k for hardware and low 100k's for software. That's not even a person to maintain the goddamn thing and yearly maintenance fees. It's a bloated out piece of poo poo that's a jack of all trades, yet a master of none. Best of all, out the gate it was an antiquated piece of poo poo that could have been accomplished for free with Google docs/other poo poo.

Oh, also just wait until upper management finds workflows plugins that make your life hell they can't live without that will cripple everything you've tried to do. Oh, also enable the ms access switch, you'll thank me later. Also if it isn't enabled out the gate, you're hosed if you ever want to switch it on.. You have to rebuild it from the ground up and try to restore your site.

We occasionally get signup forms and surveys in SharePoint at work. People always manage to fill out the master form that you're supposed to get a copy of when you do it right, so you have to delete Sharon from Accounting before you can put in your info.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh, ots even better: it's military, serviced by a contractor, so we can't actually change anything.

All those old guys that CT says can do everything and young guys suck? They're the ones ruining our loving lives right now. Because not a single loving person over 35 that I work with even understands at a loving basic level what the gently caress the program is meant to do.

So it has still just turned in to: "hey I'm going to email you this, update that document." Except now the meeting to say that takes 45m instead of ten, because the guy running it (40+) can't type with more than two fingers and doesn't understand this fancy magic box.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

some texas redneck posted:

Yes it is, aside from the "sorry".

Any suggestions on how to rip audio from Google Voice easily?

e: :doh: you can download voicemails directly from GV. mp3 here

Hah, iTunes played that, then launched right into "Old Wizard" by Dawnbringer. Quite the intro! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cjDTuYiJ6o

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

keykey posted:

The easiest way to describe and deal with SharePoint

... Is to just shoot yourself before it's installed. What a complete and utter trainwreck it is.

(I do Installs, maintain and admin Sharepoint. I'd rather stab nails into my eyes)

Gimme a good Exchange setup anyday, I'll make that fucker sing. But Sharepoint? Just mindblowingly stupid in every detail. Hell, Powershell in all it's deranged command and syntax glory is good compared to Sharepoint. How the gently caress did something so rampantly dumb ever escape from Microsoft? And some of the bugs.... oh gently caress me who the hell QA'ed that turd?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Something fun to do at 10pm:

It's 80°F (26⅔°C) and 88% humidity tonight, and my air conditioner has a tiny leak somewhere in the evaporator coil that necessitates a charge every 18 months or so. Since my unit uses R22 (which hasn't been manufactured since 2010 and thus costs ~80/lb. if the A/C guy comes and recharges your system (which is illegal with R22 since 2015, FYI)) the fix is a switch to less-efficient R410a, which is complete garbage and will require a re-engineering of the entire air conditioning system in your house. This includes the compressor unit outside and the condenser coils inside plus additional airflow requirements.

Therefore, I have acquired a license to buy and service R22 equipment via a handy-dandy Internet open-book test for the princely sum of $25, and 30 pounds of R22 was $100 plus $20 spent for adapters for the Harbor Freight gauges I already had for automobile servicing. The last service call I had was $300 for roughly two pounds of R22, so you can see how the savings can multiply.

It was 76° inside and the lady of the house was complaining. The A/C had been running constantly all day.

Well, this isn't right. The low-side line was frosted over thickly all the way into the house. An easy diagnosis even if I hadn't known about the leak since 2010.

I also ran the system fan with compressor off for one hour to thaw out the rest of the system.

This is more like it:

Done! This is residual line pressure while disconnecting. Don't freak out.

I used the ol' digital household scale to determine the weight of refrigerant used: 1.8 pounds. This brought static pressure at ambient temperature from 80 PSI to 140 and high/low pressures were within chart values for the temperature.

Easy-peasy.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Euthanize all marketers.

Yup, and you know that because the battery is cheap enough that they're just giving them away in the mail that they're the bottom of the barrel, right full of mercury, held together with foil tape Shandong hell cells.
Also I wish they would start using other colors for the LEDs, I already have a lifetime supply of blue ones dammit.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 19, 2016

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yay, my most useless co-worker is quitting. Although that brings us down to just me and the morning guy. As expected this week has sucked. I'm so busy delivering I don't have time to do the dozen other things I have to do so I end up stuck at work an extra couple of hours. And then they want me to close Friday (meaning I get home at about 2 am) then come in for a mandatory meeting (which I've been told is largely for morale boosting purposes) on Saturday at 9 a.m.

Oh and the only guy who showed up to his interview was confused as to why he needed a drivers license. :ughh:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

the spyder posted:

We should grab lunch one day.

Let's do it, I walked away from my salaried job at the end of march and am just consulting now so my schedule's pretty flexible. Also want to see your sweet collection of magic triangles. I'm about to leave town for a couple weeks but will be back June 5, gone 10-16 and back 17.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Great Beer posted:

Oh and the only guy who showed up to his interview was confused as to why he needed a drivers license. :ughh:

That's pretty drat funny.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stepdad finally took his truck in to get the front end looked at. He swore up and down that everything is fine, but you can turn the steering wheel almost 180 degrees without anything beyond the steering wheel moving. I've been pulled over twice while driving it because the cops thought I was drunk. Nope, just can't keep the drat thing in its lane, and I've refused to drive it or even ride in it for a few years now.

He balked when they said everything related to steering was shot (no poo poo) along with all of the bushings, now he wants me to troll eBay for the same parts. NOPE NOPE NOPE, I don't do generic. Especially on steering.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Guys I am broken. I haven't eaten anything since Tuesday morning without being able to keep it down for more than 30 minutes and I've been making GBS threads liquid every hour on the hour since then as well. And since I work outside I can't exactly have my boss take me to a store to blow up the shitter 8 times a day. Been pounding water and Gatorade to stay hydrated but I am running on fumes right now. I've been (trying to) sleeping almost non-stop since I got home on Tuesday but when you constantly wake up it doesn't do much.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
GO SEE A DOCTOR

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Have you considered smoking one (1) weed?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splash some water in your face, you'll feel better.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Guys I am broken. I haven't eaten anything since Tuesday morning without being able to keep it down for more than 30 minutes and I've been making GBS threads liquid every hour on the hour since then as well. And since I work outside I can't exactly have my boss take me to a store to blow up the shitter 8 times a day. Been pounding water and Gatorade to stay hydrated but I am running on fumes right now. I've been (trying to) sleeping almost non-stop since I got home on Tuesday but when you constantly wake up it doesn't do much.

Why the gently caress arent you on the way to see a bloody doctor? FFS, dont reply just GO THE gently caress NOW

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I was gonna go tomorrow since I get paid and will have the co-pay money then. Super broke right now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was gonna go tomorrow since I get paid and will have the co-pay money then. Super broke right now.

You might be dead by then.

go now and plead poverty when you are there.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

They bill you dude its not like they make you swipe your card after treatment.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

Man all this over/under 30 talk scares the gently caress out of me considering I'm graduating right around my 30th birthday.

Don't let generalities dictate your specific actions. If you're good at what you do, those that are looking for good people will hire you no matter what.

We're looking for senior industrial piping/heat exchanger mechanical/process engineers, by the way. Doesn't matter how old you are.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sounds like Norovirus or something similar. It should pass but since this has been going on for a couple of days go to the doctor so you can get some IV fluids and salts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Best new midsize SUV with at least 3,000 lb towing capacity and won't cry if taken on a dirt road: GO

First choice is a Ford Explorer, distant second is GMC Acadia, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back is a Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Nissan axed the XTerra, I cannot get past the front end/grill of the new 4Runner, and the Pathfinder is just...blah.

I know mechanically, the 4Runner is probably the way to go. But drat is it ugly.

• Locked thread