Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

praxis posted:

I've made it through 68 pages of seriously hosed up guitars and had almost decided all guitarists are loving retarded, but then I remembered this poo poo.

I know someone famous was a big name endorser of those way back. Moon? They are still the goofiest loving things ever tho, that is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

praxis posted:

I've made it through 68 pages of seriously hosed up guitars and had almost decided all guitarists are loving retarded, but then I remembered this poo poo.

:yarg::drum::gary:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

praxis posted:

What is that man doing to his drums?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

kjetting posted:

Bassists are obviously compensating for something, because everyone has to have an Ampeg SVT-CL or similar with 8x10 cabs, no matter how small the venue is.

Bass players I know usually prefer fridges because the speakers are closer to ear level and it's easier to hear themselves at a relatively lower volume

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

praxis posted:

the gently caress

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Ba-dum *splash*

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Concatenation posted:

Bass players I know usually prefer fridges because the speakers are closer to ear level and it's easier to hear themselves at a relatively lower volume

Markbass 2x10 350/500w combo is the answer to this. Lots of oomph and can tilt back for pretty good monitor duties as well. Also weighs gently caress all :dance:

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I guess fanned-fret 9-strings weren't dumb enough, Rondo is doing this poo poo now:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
https://twitter.com/fleetwoodfed/status/732991364238049280
https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/733106755564003328
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

This is the right way to use a 9 string guitar.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

I guess fanned-fret 9-strings weren't dumb enough, Rondo is doing this poo poo now:

I don't think that looks terrible. I sorta like those Ibanez ones it's trying to be like.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheChaosPath posted:

If they just covered the whole thing with that finish, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TheChaosPath posted:

with a real 3mm solid maple top!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Allen Wren posted:

If they just covered the whole thing with that finish, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hell, if they'd just not drawn a line of where it should have gone to it might have been okay.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i'll admit i kinda want one of the carvin extra beveled strats

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Sweet Christ on a bicycle:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/gibsons-american-sniper-guitar-features-bullet-shell-from-real-firefight-638183

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I bet that real shell that he fired has amazing tonal properties

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

There is nothing on this planet more wretched than a loving drum solo.

Goddamn if that isn't right. I'm a drummer and I think drum solos are the most pointless, self-indulgent, non-musical load of bullshit imaginable.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

I wish Fender would do a Jesse Ventura Strat but that would just be too awesome

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

i have no idea what guitar that is

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oh my god lmao

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

praxis posted:

Goddamn if that isn't right. I'm a drummer and I think drum solos are the most pointless, self-indulgent, non-musical load of bullshit imaginable.

Bass solos are worse, somehow.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Remulak posted:

patitucci.gif

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gibson.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Remulak posted:

I've only played bass solos in one band and only cause the guitarist was a pretty lovely guitarist. I mean it wasn't like anaesthesia or anything it was more like entwhistle picking up Pete Townshend's slack.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
not that that's much better anyway

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
All solos are self-indulgent noodling, really. It's just that a guitar solo can be so many interesting things apart from a million notes played at light speed.

Drums are pretty limited, and solos are really only interesting to other drummers or people who appreciate how difficult "that particular thing" is.

Bass solos are a little more interesting, but it's still mostly "Ooo, neat sounds. Also my balls are vibrating when he slams the headstock on the stage."

I used to be really amazed by guitar solos, but not so much anymore. Eddie's solo on Live Without A Net was really cool to me... Until I realized he plays the same basic solo at every show, just with the parts arranged in a different order.

Paul Gilbert's solo on whatever live Mr. Big VHS I had was really neat, but it was mostly only amazing to me because I played guitar. Turns out he doesn't play the same solo every time, but they're all pretty similar, and it's much more interesting to watch/hear him solo in the context of a song.

I think the era of "______ Solo!" while the rest of the band goes and gets head under the stage may be over.

Edit: lol, Paul Gilber

woodch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 21, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Guitar/bass/drum solos are cool and you people are lame as gently caress

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dirt posted:

Guitar/bass/drum solos are cool and you people are lame as gently caress

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I'd jam with that guy

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

seen this gif ten thousand times and never saw the audience was behind steel bars, presumably to keep them from openly molesting the Jacco

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

that's not a solo, it's a call and response bit :colbert:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

I will never get tired of this gif

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

woodch posted:

Edit: lol, Paul Gilber

Surely you mean Pablo Gilberto!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIzmmSSqZzQ

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've always wondered where bassists buy their huge trousers, it seems guaranteed that if one guy in a band is wearing baggy pantaloons, its the bass player.

Maybe its to compensate for Steve Harris during the 80s.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dewgy posted:

that's not a solo, it's a call and response bit :colbert:

Are you the dude playing the keytar?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Keytars are the best investment in musical instruments. I got mine for like $70 and since they stopped making it a year ago it already goes for upwards of $300 regularly on eBay.

Honestly, nothing is as gloriously stupid looking as a keytar, with the exception of surfboard guitar.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

How about a surfboard guitar where the frets are both fanned and scalloped?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

this is my favorite keytar pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Honestly, nothing is as gloriously stupid looking as a keytar, with the exception of surfboard guitar.

What about this?

• Locked thread