Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cycle ergos doesn't show you the tungsten seat or satan's fuel mapping though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

I've been riding an Iron 883 for four years now (and had a Ninja 250 before that for a couple years), but now I've got the itch to trade the bike for something else, specifically a Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber. Tell me how dumb I am to get what is essentially the same bike I have now except for a rotated engine.

Have you sat on a MotoGuzzi? I don't have first hand experience, but it seem to be more capable than 883, which I've ridden a few times. Vast majority of bikes are better than what you have, please test ride a few and see for yourself. If bobber/cruiser is your thing, Indian Scout is head and shoulders above the rest.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Cycle ergos doesn't show you the tungsten seat or satan's fuel mapping though.

I don't think I'd want to do more than 50 miles on either of those bikes. :D

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Nitrox posted:

Have you sat on a MotoGuzzi? I don't have first hand experience, but it seem to be more capable than 883, which I've ridden a few times. Vast majority of bikes are better than what you have, please test ride a few and see for yourself. If bobber/cruiser is your thing, Indian Scout is head and shoulders above the rest.

I haven't, but I just like the look and hell, it's 150lbs lighter than the 883 somehow. Problem is the closest dealer is 140 miles away so it's going to be a thing to get out there.

The Indian Scout, I dunno. It's just not my thing, never got into it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This is the Guzzi you want:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cooling fins are decorative on those right?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

I haven't, but I just like the look and hell, it's 150lbs lighter than the 883 somehow. Problem is the closest dealer is 140 miles away so it's going to be a thing to get out there.

The Indian Scout, I dunno. It's just not my thing, never got into it.
It's lighter because it's not made out of chunks of pig iron. The distance may be a problem once you need parts or service, and it'll require more of both. More than 883 at least. Take a drive over there and check it out, it'll be a cool road trip even if you don't like the bikes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gorson posted:

How did you know? :fap:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Nitrox posted:

It's lighter because it's not made out of chunks of pig iron. The distance may be a problem once you need parts or service, and it'll require more of both. More than 883 at least. Take a drive over there and check it out, it'll be a cool road trip even if you don't like the bikes.

Service I wouldn't worry about because unless something blows up I'm capable of working on near anything, but on that note are there any reliability concerns with these bikes/engines? And no it won't be a cool road trip, it's actually 200 miles now that I look at it (150 as the crow flies), and it's all Carolina low country which means 3 hours of straight, flat roads through forest that will make my XM radio cut out all the time.

I still want to check it out, though, something about the longitudinal twin with a drive shaft makes me all tingly. I admit I know drat near nothing about the company and their history, but I have a thing for odd-ball machines. I'm also tired of being associated with HD owners and YO CHECK OUT MY VANCE AND HINES PIPES!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The cooling fins are decorative on those right?
No, it's air cooled. The radiator on the side is an oil cooler.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

Service I wouldn't worry about because unless something blows up I'm capable of working on near anything, but on that note are there any reliability concerns with these bikes/engines? And no it won't be a cool road trip, it's actually 200 miles now that I look at it (150 as the crow flies), and it's all Carolina low country which means 3 hours of straight, flat roads through forest that will make my XM radio cut out all the time.

I still want to check it out, though, something about the longitudinal twin with a drive shaft makes me all tingly. I admit I know drat near nothing about the company and their history, but I have a thing for odd-ball machines. I'm also tired of being associated with HD owners and YO CHECK OUT MY VANCE AND HINES PIPES!

Guzzis are going to have a certain Italianness, but their drivetrain is stout. And now Piaggio has cleaned up the manufacturing operation, there's not much to worry about. The only real concern about operating one is you might get stuck waiting a week or two for a part to be shipped to you if something did break.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gorson posted:

This is the prettiest ugly bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The most annoying thing about Guzzi is they've been stubborn about not giving most of their bikes ABS. Obviously they don't have a choice in the euro market nowadays, but don't expect ABS on a second hand one.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
^^^ I'm considering the V9, which thankfully has ABS.

Linedance posted:

Guzzis are going to have a certain Italianness, but their drivetrain is stout. And now Piaggio has cleaned up the manufacturing operation, there's not much to worry about. The only real concern about operating one is you might get stuck waiting a week or two for a part to be shipped to you if something did break.

Oh that shouldn't be too bad. I'm a pretty casual rider (can't do my current commute with one at all) so if the bike has to sit for a week that's okay. I mean I got my 883 in May 2012 and it only has 3500 miles on it, to give you an idea.

Honestly it doesn't make sense for me to have a motorcycle but I don't think I could not have one at this point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

^^^ I'm considering the V9, which thankfully has ABS.

Oh that shouldn't be too bad. I'm a pretty casual rider (can't do my current commute with one at all) so if the bike has to sit for a week that's okay. I mean I got my 883 in May 2012 and it only has 3500 miles on it, to give you an idea.

Honestly it doesn't make sense for me to have a motorcycle but I don't think I could not have one at this point.

same

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
So I purchased a tractor...

It's heavy and slow and I love it.

2007 KLR 650

Much steeper than it looks! Was a fun ride till it dead ended into a heard of sheep. Had to stop on a downhill to turn the bike around before the sheep dogs attacked me.

Got the parts on order for the "Doohicky" replacement. Going to put on a real skid plate and low profile engine oil drain plug. I also purchased a Thermobob. My boss sold it to me for $2500 with 10k miles. Last year of the gen 1 KLR's. Has a brand new set of MT21's on it, 1" bar risers, re-valved shock for more weight and lowered foot pegs.

jdfording fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 19, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
T63s work well on those fat fucks. also if you look super hard you can find a flush mount allen drain plug that won't tear out.

Do the doo, and throw the betterer round spring on it.

You can't kill em. (but i can)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What do you guys think of this SV650 as a city commuter bike and eventually a track bike?
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5558781810.html

I'm too paranoid of thieves to keep my Street Triple up at my apartment but I wouldn't be as worried about an SV being stolen.

I'm thinking of offering 2500.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's a great all-arounder. I use mine for both street and track.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What do you think of the asking price?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Partial Octopus posted:

What do you think of the asking price?

I'd pay that if he had put on new tires, chain, brakes, oil change, and proper GSXR front end swap.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the asking price is way high. Seems like another one of those "I'll ask for bike price + exact cost of all the upgrades" type of things.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Isn't the 2003 the weird year where some 2004+ parts won't fit so you have to buy 2003 specific upgrades and parts? Different subframe and stuff.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, it's the subframe, so the seat an exhaust hanger are special snowflake parts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah 2k3 SV's are automatically worth slightly less than 04+ bikes. Everything that counts is still the same, but those one year parts are a bitch if you need them and can justify a price drop in my mind

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

jdfording posted:

So I purchased a tractor...

It's heavy and slow and I love it.

2007 KLR 650

Much steeper than it looks! Was a fun ride till it dead ended into a heard of sheep. Had to stop on a downhill to turn the bike around before the sheep dogs attacked me.

Got the parts on order for the "Doohicky" replacement. Going to put on a real skid plate and low profile engine oil drain plug. I also purchased a Thermobob. My boss sold it to me for $2500 with 10k miles. Last year of the gen 1 KLR's. Has a brand new set of MT21's on it, 1" bar risers, re-valved shock for more weight and lowered foot pegs.

Are you in Colorado? I see you are in Colorado. What part? Looks like Moffat County.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
2007 SV650 ABS for $3k, fly and ride material?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/5593391534.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It probably won't die on the way home. Tell me you live > 1500 miles from there.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
No, just too lazy to rent a truck.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Dutymode posted:

If I didn't like 14 hours away I totally would.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dutymode posted:

Is there an SV650 shortage or something at the moment? I swear last year that was a $2500 bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know where you've been. SVs have been overpriced for a while.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
ABS is going to boost prices of everything used due to rarity.

I sold my 07 ABS SV650 (in San Francisco, mind you) with 14k and a dented tank for $4k a few years ago.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Whats the deal with these things?
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/5586710423.html
TE510. He posted the hours on the motor. Are these things super high maintenence or would it be a fun bike for urban commuting and some light trail riding?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's a big rear end bike for some light trail riding.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

You guys must live in some sort of bike paradise. Good luck finding any SV650 that isn't a heap for less than $3k anywhere near Pittsburgh. :smith:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fifty Three posted:

You guys must live in some sort of bike paradise. Good luck finding any SV650 that isn't a heap for less than $3k anywhere near Pittsburgh. :smith:

That's because PittsburghPennsylvania is a loving landfill where things go to die.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm actually in Philly now but yeah. It seems like bikes in general are way more expensive on the east coast than the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's because PittsburghPennsylvania is a loving landfill where things go to die.
Pittsburgh rules, sorry, but I won't deny that expensive bikes do sort of offset the appeal.

Wish I had the guts to fly-and-ride.