Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Wanamingo posted:

You mean this crap?

I really hate the American versions of those costumes. They're just so poorly constructed and ill fitting compared to the Japanese version. Just look at those drat necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The new movie Power Rangers are ripped right out of Mass Effect.

They've also managed to make the costumes hideously busy and boringly monochromatic. It's almost impressive how terrible they look.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I would love to know how they ended up with Elizabeth Banks as Rita.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

I don't think this got posted when it was revealed, the bad guy in the new Power Rangers:

Why is she so grimey?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's spent like 1000 years in a dumpster.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Why is she so grimey?
She's not called Rita Rejuvinated, you know.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Based on her colour scheme I'm certain that Rita will morph into the green ranger at some point during the film.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And then Lord Zedd will turn up, and be the proper villain!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

You mean this crap?

Even as a kid, I didn't buy the lycra bodysuit + bicycle helmet combo. I'm hoping that the new movie is gonna be a departure from the usual super sentai stuff, the only way it's going to be good is if the director puts his own spin on it and gives us something that plays off of the original series but still ultimately finds its own voice.

for people

So, I'm curious. Did you even want people to discuss this with you, or were you looking for people to just agree with your and pat on the back? From your tone, condescending manner and dismissive blowing off of other people's opinions, it seems basically the latter.

But srsly, this movie would suck if they got the best screenwriter and director because it is still based on Power Rangers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotinaj posted:

But srsly, this movie would suck if they got the best screenwriter and director because it is still based on Power Rangers.

I think it's one of those things where if you watched it when you were a kid, you might think it was really great. I wouldn't be surprised if kids nowadays thought Thundarr the Barbarian sucked -- it didn't colonize their brains at the right time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There's nothing inherently sillier about adapting power rangers than TMNT or Transformers or Superbat Captainmerica any other comic book superhero poo poo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I think it's one of those things where if you watched it when you were a kid, you might think it was really great. I wouldn't be surprised if kids nowadays thought Thundarr the Barbarian sucked -- it didn't colonize their brains at the right time.

I love power rangers a million more times than most do. I watched every episode for the first like six series. I had every toy for years. I recognise that I am biased as hell.

That being said, half the fun was the terrible wire fu, the dumb bursts of sparks that happened when a plastic weapon hits someone, the terrible acting. The source material, once "rebooted" and updated by a committee of ad executives, is going to be unrecognisable and any take on the power rangers is going to super suck. This is the 2016-2017 version of the GI Joe movie, which is fitting, since those armored costumes look like something the Joes would use in GI Joe 3: Cobra Rising Again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotinaj posted:

I love power rangers a million more times than most do. I watched every episode for the first like six series. I had every toy for years. I recognise that I am biased as hell.

That being said, half the fun was the terrible wire fu, the dumb bursts of sparks that happened when a plastic weapon hits someone, the terrible acting. The source material, once "rebooted" and updated by a committee of ad executives, is going to be unrecognisable and any take on the power rangers is going to super suck. This is the 2016-2017 version of the GI Joe movie, which is fitting, since those armored costumes look like something the Joes would use in GI Joe 3: Cobra Rising Again.

I was going to mention G.I. Joe in my post, but decided to go for something that was more obviously crap garbage, but which had laser swords. :blush:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 19, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

Based on her colour scheme I'm certain that Rita will morph into the green ranger at some point during the film.

Normally I roll my eyes at 'fan theories' like that, but the design language for her outfit is so similar to the ranger suits that I'm pretty convinced of this one.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

prefect posted:

I was going to mention G.I. Joe in my post, but decided to go for something that was more obviously crap garbage, but which had laser swords. :blush:

I will literally fight any kid who says Thundarr sucks

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

prefect posted:

At least Thundarr had Jack Kirby involved.

Power Rangers had a black kid from Detroit as the Black Ranger. At least they're avoiding that with the movie I guess.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Say Nothing posted:

Why is she so grimey?

It's really hard to operate a tap or hold a washcloth with those spiky brass fingers. :(

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

Normally I roll my eyes at 'fan theories' like that, but the design language for her outfit is so similar to the ranger suits that I'm pretty convinced of this one.

It's that or she creates the green ranger, like in the show. The other obvious thing is that their suits could easily be "corrupted" into Lord Zedd so he's probably going to be a "fallen former red ranger" or some poo poo like that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2016/05/armored-bat-baby-will-rid-the-nursery-of-evil-doers/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

"DO YOU POOP?"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I JUST DID

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm no Republic serial villain. I DID IT THIRTY FIVE MINUTES AGO

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think ,considering his passing, it's appropriate to post this:

God drat could Darwyn Cooke draw.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Strong NOT Butch, huh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No gently caress-me pumps.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I like the note about having fun with disguises.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

That's a really stylish Selina and I want her stormcoat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

You shut the gently caress up, Thundar was beautiful

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there any other redesign that's comparable to Cooke's Catwoman? It's a complete departure from anything that came before, but has become pretty indelible as the way Catwoman looks. Sadly that's partly because he made the cat-collar zipper a big feature which lends itself to lazy cleavage shots. But when he or Stewart drew it? God-drat it's perfect.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

Is there any other redesign that's comparable to Cooke's Catwoman? It's a complete departure from anything that came before, but has become pretty indelible as the way Catwoman looks. Sadly that's partly because he made the cat-collar zipper a big feature which lends itself to lazy cleavage shots. But when he or Stewart drew it? God-drat it's perfect.

Arguably Bill Fingers transformation of Batman from a blonde guy in a red shirt into the actual Batman but I don't think Kanes version ever actually made it to the page.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Wanamingo posted:

Apparently there's going to be a new Power Rangers movie

I kinda like the costumes, they're really stupid and overdesigned.

Something about this makes me want to turn the anti-aliasing up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't really take a close look before because I don't give a poo poo about this stupid reboot of something that wasn't ever good to begin with, but the tit highlighting on the ladies' costumes is loving ridiculous. It's a step beyond boob plates.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't really care about the power rangers movie either but the costumes are breathtakingly terrible no matter what they're supposed to be, like I bet if I asked someone to make lovely costume designs for five heroes and a villain on purpose it would take talent to get ones HALF as garbage looking as these.

E: speaking of boobplate, did you see this poo poo:

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 20, 2016

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Yowch.

Well no wonder Rita's so cranky! She can't sit down without impaling her butt!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I guess now we know where the dragon dagger comes from

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Don't worry guys it's going to look AMAAAAAAAAAAZING post production!!!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Acne Rain posted:

I don't really care about the power rangers movie either but the costumes are breathtakingly terrible no matter what they're supposed to be, like I bet if I asked someone to make lovely costume designs for five heroes and a villain on purpose it would take talent to get ones HALF as garbage looking as these.

E: speaking of boobplate, did you see this poo poo:

Oh my god this is horrible, I love it so much

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

prefect posted:

i hope you die when the meteor passes too close to the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I am completely fine with the DCCU crashing and burning if it gets me a Thundarr, Space Ghost and Blue Falcon team up movie.

• Locked thread