Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DrDork posted:

Sure, but you look me in the eye and tell me that $1300 for an X34 is a sensible and economically-sound purchase over a $600 monitor because you're gonna keep it "long term."

People buy this sort of stuff because they have the money to do so and want to, and much like the X34 offers things that no other monitor does (hence its price), so too with the 1080.

Whoever said anything about sensible and economically sound? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The 1080 will no longer be the top card in ~ a year when the 1080 Ti and big Vega drop. It will at that point no longer be card worth $600. My XR341CK is going to remain a monitor worth more than the $600 I paid for it for quite a while.

Now you put the 1080 Ti or big Vega on the table and I'll see a reason to spend big.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hey guys I want a hardware switch box that I can plug my monitor (DP or HDMI) and its USB cable into on one side, and the otherside plug it into both my desktop and laptop. I just want to turn a physical knob on the box to redirect the USB/DP connectivity to either the desktop or laptop.

Is there such a thing?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
But the box would have a connection to connect your video out on the laptop to, right? So you'd be cabling your laptop to this box when you brought it home, which for me would be too much of a pain in the rear end. A dock for the laptop (if it's business grade) is usually the solution here, you can plug your display into it on HDMI then connect the PC to the monitor via DP and use the source button on the monitor to switch between the devices. The dock will usually make working from the open laptop easier (holding it in a position that raises it or something) so if you want both displays on at once you can do work from the laptop screen while personal from the monitor.

Otherwise known as keep Lync and your emails open in the middle of the work day while you frag a few demons in Doom :)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well the laptop is a MBP that pretty much never leaves the desk now because iPhone. And I have two monitors now connected to my desktop. My idea was that I'd connect the second monitor to this box, and connect the box to the desktop and laptop. That way I could primarily use both monitors for the desktop but turn a switch and use the second monitor with the laptop without futzing around behind the screen with cables.

Though now that I think more about it I'd need to figure out a different plan for the USB situation. But even just a DisplayPort rerouter box or whatever would be a nice start.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't you just plug the laptop into one of the monitors on the second input and switch to it with the input select?

The MBP has no dock (because it's not business grade).

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

What's the major difference between the XB270HU and XB271HU at this point, that the latter is newer and overclocks to 165hz? I've been looking around more lately in my impatience for the 1070/1080 to go on sale and have seen more refurbished XB270HU monitors for around $450.

I thought this was a pretty good change: (left is the 271)

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

What's the major difference between the XB270HU and XB271HU at this point, that the latter is newer and overclocks to 165hz? I've been looking around more lately in my impatience for the 1070/1080 to go on sale and have seen more refurbished XB270HU monitors for around $450.

Former's TN, latter's IPS.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

froody guy posted:

Former's TN, latter's IPS.

This is highly inaccurate.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Ooops. I confused the new revision (XB271HU) with different panel type, as in the Rog Swift pg278q and pg279q. So, what's the Acer's brother of the Rog Swift TN? I do remember it existed but probably it doesn't :shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Why don't you just plug the laptop into one of the monitors on the second input and switch to it with the input select?

I didn't even think of that :downs:

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
OK so my nephews birthday is coming up. Last Christmas he got a 970 gtx /6600k etc upgrade so he's got a decent modern gaming rig.

He's still using the flatron e2250v he got many years ago and was thinking of getting him an upgrade.

I can get a refurbished 272G5DYEB for around £200 and it seems like a decent idea to me? Has gsync, 144hz, is a good bit bigger than his current screen but still fits in the 30" space he has for a screen.

Only downside I can see is that it's only 1080p, however I don't think the 970 would push a much bigger res anyway. This way he stands a chance of hitting 120 fps in some games?

I'm open to advice or suggestions. He's also real big on 3d stuff in general so may also pick him up a set of nvidia 3d vision 2?

Ideally he wants a triple screen setup but he doesn't have space. I figure this is a good chance for him to dip his toes into gaming monitors with high refresh rates and gsync.

Speaking of which, I could have sworn gsync had an actual range individual to each monitor? I can't seem to find any real information about it besides the typical marketing stuff but I could have sworn each monitor had a different active range like "35-70fps" or something?

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

Tony Montana posted:

No need to be obtuse, there are heaps of third-party docks for MBPs that work just fine. I use a Belkin Thunderbolt dock at work so I can plug 2x24" Dells into my 15" MBP (one display uses the laptop's HDMI out, the other uses the dock's spare thunderbolt port).

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Captain Hair posted:

I can get a refurbished 272G5DYEB for around £200 and it seems like a decent idea to me? Has gsync, 144hz, is a good bit bigger than his current screen but still fits in the 30" space he has for a screen.

Only downside I can see is that it's only 1080p, however I don't think the 970 would push a much bigger res anyway. This way he stands a chance of hitting 120 fps in some games?

I'm open to advice or suggestions. He's also real big on 3d stuff in general so may also pick him up a set of nvidia 3d vision 2?

Ideally he wants a triple screen setup but he doesn't have space. I figure this is a good chance for him to dip his toes into gaming monitors with high refresh rates and gsync.

Speaking of which, I could have sworn gsync had an actual range individual to each monitor? I can't seem to find any real information about it besides the typical marketing stuff but I could have sworn each monitor had a different active range like "35-70fps" or something?
I'm playing with a single 970 on 3440x1440 and that's all the 970 can do, not much more to squeeze out of it but that's to say there's plenty of room for a 1080p @144hz. That being said: 1080p sucks, 3dvision is frikkin dead and for 200£ you won't get the half of a decent gaming monitor so it looks like you've really got a bargain in that price range.

If I may suggest it though, I'd stretch the budget for a 2560x1080 which is ultrawide FullHD or 21:9 if you prefer, shouldn't be far from those 200 quid. That's a different ballpark, some prefer 16:9 high refresh rate, others 21:9 no matter what's the refresh rate.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 19, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I know it's dead. Just trying to find out what was the last run with them.

My Dell U2410 has component input on it, and is still a perfectly good, modern monitor.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mario Incandenza posted:

No need to be obtuse, there are heaps of third-party docks for MBPs that work just fine. I use a Belkin Thunderbolt dock at work so I can plug 2x24" Dells into my 15" MBP (one display uses the laptop's HDMI out, the other uses the dock's spare thunderbolt port).

So that uses the thunderbolt connection? You plug a single thunderbolt cable from the dock into your laptop? It's a port replicator, rather than a dock really. Docks usually mean no cables, someone that goes between the office and home office everyday doesn't want to plug anything in. Business grade laptops from HP, Toshiba, etc, have the dock port and you click it in and remove it all in one quick motion while usually hooking up the laptop to displays, input devices, power, etc. Usually ports that are too big to fit into a slimline laptop too, like DVI or dual ethernet. Also a dock usually hold the laptop open and in a position that makes sense for extended desk use.

Those guys makes ultrabooks and domestic laptops without docking ports too, it's just the business line is usually a different SKU and sold from different places than the usual retailers. They're often ordered in bulk directly from the manufacturer for a corporate fleet.

The Microsoft Surface just recently went from a proper dock with the SP3 to a port replicator with the SP4 and I think it's a misstep.

I wouldn't usually go into such detail, but it's the display thread :)

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

froody guy posted:

I'm playing with a single 970 on 3440x1440 and that's all the 970 can do, not much more to squeeze out of it but that's to say there's plenty of room for a 1080p @144hz. That being said: 1080p sucks, 3dvision is frikkin dead and for 200£ you won't get the half of a decent gaming monitor so it looks like you've really got a bargain in that price range.

If I may suggest it though, I'd stretch the budget for a 2560x1080 which is ultrawide FullHD or 21:9 if you prefer, shouldn't be far from those 200 quid. That's a different ballpark, some prefer 16:9 high refresh rate, others 21:9 no matter what's the refresh rate.

I think he'd appreciate a higher resolution, I'd love to get him an ultrawide but budget and 30" gap for monitor rule against it :(

He's been playing a lot more online competitive stuff however, things that are locked at 16:9 Iirc? In that regard this monitor seems idea.

I'll have a look to see if I can find any similar at 1440p perhaps. I'd probably consider dropping to 75/90/120hz to compensate budget though.

I think you're right though, at £200 you can't really complain much, plus the next monitors in price bracket are around £300 2nd hand and most of them are still just hd.

Edit: yeah figured nvidia 3d would be dying off now we have vr. Still though the kits are £40 2nd hand and most of the games he plays support it. Hell the amount of hours he sinks into skyrim alone...

Thanks for your thoughts though. I know I'll regret not going larger than hd, but by the time he gets a new gpu he'll have more space for an ultrawide or triple screen setup hopefully :)

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 19, 2016

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Currently using a 660gtx but upgrading to 1070 when it goes on sale.

I also want to hook up my MacBook Air to a new monitor.

What is the go to ultra wide for this? I would rather not spend $1300 on a predator or somethin

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tony Montana posted:

The Microsoft Surface just recently went from a proper dock with the SP3 to a port replicator with the SP4 and I think it's a misstep.

I like the port replicator on the SP4 in practice, the dock would be annoying if I want to take it and put it in my lap to use the inking I bought it for and require disconnecting. It's got its kickstand so putting it in place is as easy as before and more flexible, and the single connection is really easy to make. It also enables the magnetic pen attach to work without adding another step. Overall I'm pretty fine with port replicators, especially when they do power as well.

thegoat posted:

Currently using a 660gtx but upgrading to 1070 when it goes on sale.

I also want to hook up my MacBook Air to a new monitor.

What is the go to ultra wide for this? I would rather not spend $1300 on a predator or somethin

You could just get a Dell U3415W, I think the LG equivalent would have better latency if you track that down, and you could look for refurb Acer XR341CKs to show up for around $600 on their store. It's freesync but will still be a 75 HZ curved IPS with low latency if you drive it with an NV card.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

xthetenth posted:

You could just get a Dell U3415W, I think the LG equivalent would have better latency if you track that down, and you could look for refurb Acer XR341CKs to show up for around $600 on their store. It's freesync but will still be a 75 HZ curved IPS with low latency if you drive it with an NV card.

Thanks. Sadly I live in Taiwan me finding s refurb is near impossible.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Tony Montana posted:

one quick motion

:fap:

Tony Montana posted:

I wouldn't usually go into such detail, but it's the display thread :)

The monitor megathread - docking in one quick motion.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey guys I want a hardware switch box that I can plug my monitor (DP or HDMI) and its USB cable into on one side, and the otherside plug it into both my desktop and laptop. I just want to turn a physical knob on the box to redirect the USB/DP connectivity to either the desktop or laptop.

Is there such a thing?

Not in one box. You'd have to get a physical switch HDMI box like this:

and a physical switch USB box like this:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dock connectors take up precious space inside these computers. As soon as all the bugs are worked out with USB-C/TB3 docks, the traditional docking station is going to vanish.

IT staff will be happy too since you won't have to replace a bunch of proprietary docks if you switch computer vendors. You could also standardized all conference room connections to a single USB-C cable.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any decent small hidpi displays out? I'm looking for something 4K in the 22-24" range, since I've got a retina Mac and I'm trying to get the same level of pixel density (330?) in an external monitor.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any decent small hidpi displays out? I'm looking for something 4K in the 22-24" range, since I've got a retina Mac and I'm trying to get the same level of pixel density (330?) in an external monitor.

Dell P2415q. It's 4k60Hz and 24" and I have one. I'm not sure I like it though but that's because if I want to be able to see individual pixels I have to wear my glasses, and because Windows' scaling still sucks in 2016. It does however have pretty low lag for gaming, as you can see here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-p2415q/
That's probably the most comprehensive review of this monitor around. The stand is pretty great too.

Edit: you can probably use Apple's pixel doubling to make the UI appear correctly, you lucky SOB. It's a pity nobody using windows has done something that does this properly.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 19, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any opinions on this monitor for a secondary?
Acer K272HULbmiidp

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Are there going to be more 4k gsync monitors in like 3 months or is that silly thinking?

I suppose 1440p and gsync wouldn't be bad for modest high end gaming on a 1080/1070

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Etrips posted:

Any opinions on this monitor for a secondary?
Acer K272HULbmiidp

$260 is a lot for a 27" 1080p display, especially a refurbished one from Acer. $200 seems to be the median price for brand new display in this class from Amazon. It's considerably less if you go used or refurbished on eBay.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 19, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Zorilla posted:

$260 is a lot for a 27" 1080p display, especially a refurbished one from Acer. $200 seems to be the median price for brand new display in this class from Amazon. It's considerably less if you go used or refurbished on eBay.

It is 1440p though?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Etrips posted:

It is 1440p though?
It is, but the specifications box on the sale say 1080p, hence the confusion.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Dock connectors take up precious space inside these computers. As soon as all the bugs are worked out with USB-C/TB3 docks, the traditional docking station is going to vanish.

IT staff will be happy too since you won't have to replace a bunch of proprietary docks if you switch computer vendors. You could also standardized all conference room connections to a single USB-C cable.
Knowing how a bunch of my customers work with old equipment to avoid spending money, it'll be at least 10 years after USB-C/TB3 docks have been established as standard for those old docks to go away. I saw docks older than the one that I bought in 2001 still being actively used (2 USB 1.1 slots, parallel ports, serial ports, 10/100 NICs, PS/2 connectors, etc.) - they were sending them to India for the outsourced labor to use and requiring them to use company-owned equipment front to back out of concerns that they'll use "unapproved" devices and subpar quality equipment. Yeah.... I think you don't get policies very well and that other companies would enact a policy like that after having done business with you. Something's really hosed up when your offshore contractors complain about how cheap you guys are compared to others.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

My Dell U2410 has component input on it, and is still a perfectly good, modern monitor.

Thanks. Ill hunt one down.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
http://deals.kinja.com/dells-affordable-4k-ips-monitors-are-on-sale-today-in-1777571705

Sale on Dell 4k IPS monitors. I'm thinking of getting one. Sure anyone have opinions on 4k for visual artists? I was thinking that it might help with having more room to work but then I thought about it more and it'll just make the interfaces smaller and/or I'll just have the same real estate as I did on 1080p. I could be wrong though cause I'm only thinking about it and have no experience.

I game a bit but only rocket league so it could be easy to max out with the new graphics cards.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can someone explain how games work with ultra wide monitors? You can either show more horizontal FOV(more sides) or less vertical FOV(less top and bottom). I take it that's a game specific thing so YMMV. Or are most modern games setup for more horizontal FOV given the market trend.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Shaocaholica posted:

Can someone explain how games work with ultra wide monitors? You can either show more horizontal FOV(more sides) or less vertical FOV(less top and bottom). I take it that's a game specific thing so YMMV. Or are most modern games setup for more horizontal FOV given the market trend.

Here's a look at how they generally handle things. It does vary:
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-219-2560-x-1080-experience/

A master list of games:
http://www.wsgf.org/mgl?title_op=contains&game_name=

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

One can say 21:9 naturally "includes" 16:9 so if for some reason you want or must use a 16:9 content on a 21:9 monitor you'll simply see it exactly as it would be on 16:9 (no scaling, no stretching, no trasformation whatsoever) just 2 vertical black bars at the sides. This is to say that there is literally NO content that won't show up because you have a 21:9 monitor. That being said, I've found so far a single game that doesn't support 21:9 and it's Metal Gear V. Anyone else works like a champ, even older games, even much older ones. There are cases for which you need some workaround like editing a config file or maybe just wait for a patch to drop and fix it but that's something that will happen less and less now. You'll find anything you need on WSGF.

On the other end, if you watch a 21:9 content on a 16:9 screen, like most movies, you'll see it with horizontal bars up and down, making it even smaller than how it actually looks on a "squared" screen.

Also, what Durinia said. Plus https://pcmonitors.info/articles/games-movies-and-the-desktop-at-3440-x-1440/

froody guy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 20, 2016

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Durinia posted:

Here's a look at how they generally handle things. It does vary:
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-219-2560-x-1080-experience/

A master list of games:
http://www.wsgf.org/mgl?title_op=contains&game_name=

froody guy posted:

One can say 21:9 naturally "includes" 16:9 so if for some reason you want or must use a 16:9 content on a 21:9 monitor you'll simply see it exactly as it would be on 16:9 (no scaling, no stretching, no trasformation whatsoever) just 2 vertical black bars at the sides. This is to say that there is literally NO content that won't show up because you have a 21:9 monitor. That being said, I've found so far a single game that doesn't support 21:9 and it's Metal Gear V. Anyone else works like a champ, even older games, even much older ones. There are cases for which you need some workaround like editing a config file or maybe just wait for a patch to drop and fix it but that's something that will happen less and less now. You'll find anything you need on WSGF.

On the other end, if you watch a 21:9 content on a 16:9 screen, like most movies, you'll see it with horizontal bars up and down, making it even smaller than how it actually looks on a "squared" screen.

Also, what Durinia said. Plus https://pcmonitors.info/articles/games-movies-and-the-desktop-at-3440-x-1440/

Got it, thanks. Looks like there's hor+ and vert- which is what I was alluding to. Still not sure what the tag 'anamorphic' means with respect to WS gaming.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

Still not sure what the tag 'anamorphic' means with respect to WS gaming.
From their page: "Anamorphism is a specific behavior of letterboxed pictures. If a picture with a wide aspect ratio is letterboxed on a 4:3 monitor, and when the same image is shown on a widescreen monitor, the aspect ratio is unaltered, but the black bars are either reduced or removed, it is said to be anamorphic. This behavior is very common for widescreen DVD movies, fairly common for cut-scenes in PC games, but very uncommon in proper gameplay of PC games."

Basically they're using anamorphic to mean that you see "the complete, unaltered image" versus a horizontal or vertical stretch of some sort.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Just to back up the above, there's most modern games where 21:9 work well natively (in fact the little bit extra peripheral vision is great) but the cut scenes and whatnot might be pillarboxed to 16:9. Some might even have a slider in the options for the HUD so you can bring things like the minimap or status readings closer to the middle.

On others, like Fallout 4 (and the earlier games, in fact) I had to edit the .ini but it works well after that. There are whole forums dedicated to that so you can do a bit of googling.

As far as I know the only major exceptions would be things like Starcraft II where they mandate the viewport has to be 16:9 since e-sports and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

DrDork posted:

From their page: "Anamorphism is a specific behavior of letterboxed pictures. If a picture with a wide aspect ratio is letterboxed on a 4:3 monitor, and when the same image is shown on a widescreen monitor, the aspect ratio is unaltered, but the black bars are either reduced or removed, it is said to be anamorphic. This behavior is very common for widescreen DVD movies, fairly common for cut-scenes in PC games, but very uncommon in proper gameplay of PC games."

Basically they're using anamorphic to mean that you see "the complete, unaltered image" versus a horizontal or vertical stretch of some sort.

Shaocaholica posted:

with respect to WS gaming.

In cinema, it generally means shooting a widescreen film to a 4:3 medium like 35mm with the aid of a lens that distorts the image to fill the entire surface, then restoring the desired aspect ratio during playback. Like DrDork, I'm not sure how this applies to anything that's being rendered on the fly like 3d games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format

I just assumed the master game list linked above meant that any game classified as "anamorphic" rendered 3d scenes with a "lens" that has an aspect ratio that didn't match the user's display. For instance, in GZDoom, it's possible to play at native resolution on a 16:9 monitor, but force 4:3, 16:10, etc.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 21, 2016