Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

He's basically Andre's height so it's not that much of a stretch.

You've said this a lot but didn't Andre get noticeably shorter after he started to hunch over towards the end of his career? I'd figure he was at least 7' during his prime and lost a few inches towards the end in terms of how erect he was capable of standing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

You've said this a lot but didn't Andre get noticeably shorter after he started to hunch over towards the end of his career? I'd figure he was at least 7' during his prime and lost a few inches towards the end in terms of how erect he was capable of standing

There's pics of him standing straight backed next to Ali who is 6'3 and in the pics of him a Wilt he's definitely a few inches shorter than him and Chamberlain was a legit 7'1 so I think it's safe to say he was somewhere in the 6'8-7 range depending on the point in his career. At his death he was supposedly around 6'10 but his spine and legs had been heavily deformed by that point so that's not really a fair measurement.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

When I was still pretty young, I used to create myself in wrestling games, and as I had reached a flat 6' tall, I just made my height around 6'3, thinking I still had a few inches to go. I did not. Little did I know until later that I had billed myself at absolutely the right height for pro wrestling. 6' always looked really small in those games and rightly so as pro wrestling 6' is a shoot 5'8.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

In the late 70s he was about 6'9/6'10. He was maybe slightly taller than Ernie Ladd when the two wrestled. He lost a couple inches from there as his health declined.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How tall is Rey Mysterio, really? I know the Smackdown games always had him at 5'7" so I assume he is in real life like the size of a traffic cone?

E: or is it the opposite of the fake giant principle where if your gimmick is you're small they say you're smaller than you are?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

How tall is Rey Mysterio, really? I know the Smackdown games always had him at 5'7" so I assume he is in real life like the size of a traffic cone?

E: or is it the opposite of the fake giant principle where if your gimmick is you're small they say you're smaller than you are?

WCW/NWO Revenge listed him at 5'6.

In this WCW video he says he's 5'4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMopw6RH5Q

Considering the state of his knees now, who knows, he might be even shorter.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 19, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Rey says he's about 5'4" so he's probably 5'3". Would make sense seeing he took a picture with Cristiano Ronaldo who is 6'1" and the top of his head barely reached Ronaldo's shoulders. Also, a picture with a dude that is actually 5'6" (Drenthe) that had some inches on him.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dias posted:

Rey says he's about 5'4" so he's probably 5'3". Would make sense seeing he took a picture with Cristiano Ronaldo who is 6'1" and the top of his head barely reached Ronaldo's shoulders. Also, a picture with a dude that is actually 5'6" (Drenthe) that had some inches on him.

Your numbers seem right. AJ Lee is 5'2" (allegedly?) and Rey's only got an inch or so on her.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I thought I heard from somewhere, maybe here that when Rey first started wrestling he was almost billed as a mini.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He started wrestling at the age of 14, he likely was the size of a mini.
Here is some (terrible) footage of him as Colibri, which was his second gimmick. I'd say he's too lanky to be a mini, but man does he look tiny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-oK4q-8UVg

VVv The names fine, I just meant the footage is terrible vvv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 19, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, Colibri isn't a bad name for a small high-flyer. Also did he trip and fall before the finish?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It looks like he threw a cross body at an invisible opponent!

If you look real close, his opponent ducks down when he see's Rey doing that so I think that was supposed to be a feint, because then when he stands up he turns his back to celebrate and Rey hits him with the swingset dropkick.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 19, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

remusclaw posted:

VVv The names fine, I just meant the footage is terrible vvv

Oh, no, I just mean I like the name and never thought about it, it was an off-hand observation.

remusclaw posted:

It looks like he threw a cross body at an invisible opponent!

If you look real close, his opponent ducks down when he see's Rey doing that so I think that was supposed to be a feint, because then when he stands up he turns his back to celebrate and Rey hits him with the swingset dropkick.

Haha, it's such an awkward feint, but seeing that he was 14 at the time and was more solid than some dudes on their 30s are now, whatever.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
This height talk reminds me of a time I went to go see several wrestlers attend a park baseball game in...1997? 1998? Events at the game made the late Davey Boy Smith walk right past me and I was shocked to see I was actually a bit taller than him.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Vince McMahon is pretty decent on commentary.

Why is he terrible at telling people how to do commentary?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain Magic posted:

because it's easier for him to tell the story he wants told directly instead of trying to tweak Cole or JBL to go in the right direction

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's generally accepted that beyond the first few rows, floor seats at wrestling shows that are busy (in this case, a Smackdown taping) can be a bit crap and that seats in the 100s are generally going to be better for views? I took a 100 level Row 15 over a floor seat that was a similar row number in the same section, and was $30 cheaper a ticket. I shouldn't regret that, right?

Mainly for my fiancees sake, as she isn't a keen wrestling fan as it is and I think the signs are going to drive her a bit mental anyway.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's also clear Vince wants things said that he would not be willing to say himself. When he is commentating, he can't also be simultaneously telling his co commentators what to say. So him commentating is far better than him on a headset directing commentary, but commentary would also likely be even better absent any Vince involvement at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Magic posted:

What made Vince's commentary effective is he knew where all the storylines were going and structured his commentary accordingly.

Now there is little long term planning so what is he going to tell the announcers to do but snipe at things he's mad about?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's generally accepted that beyond the first few rows, floor seats at wrestling shows that are busy (in this case, a Smackdown taping) can be a bit crap and that seats in the 100s are generally going to be better for views? I took a 100 level Row 15 over a floor seat that was a similar row number in the same section, and was $30 cheaper a ticket. I shouldn't regret that, right?

Mainly for my fiancees sake, as she isn't a keen wrestling fan as it is and I think the signs are going to drive her a bit mental anyway.

I usually depends on the layout of the place but when it comes to bigger shows (as in bigger than house or indy) that's generally the case, yeah.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Please tell me I'm not crazy for thinking Vince was awful at commentating

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Tir McDohl posted:

what a maneuver

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was fun during that Old School Raw a few years back where Vince and Jesse Ventura were commentating. Ventura was running verbal laps around Vince and you could just sense smoke pouring out of his ears.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tir McDohl posted:

He was, but what he lacked in quality, he made up for in direction and enthusiasm. This is especially endearing in hindsight considering what we have endured in recent years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tir McDohl posted:

He was bad at calling matches and good at getting over stories so in the 80s he worked really well. As the in ring style started advancing and the creative direction went downhill... not so much.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah he's not great but he does a good job of selling the idea that two men are in a direct athletic competition to see who is the better man and that we as audience members should be really impressed with that. He comes off as kind of hokey but genuine.

Nothing about the above is true with Raw's commentary today.

Here's another one, probably answered a dozen times in this thread--was there a particular pile driver that started the no-pile driver rule? I would have thought Austin/Owen, but Road Dogg and Gunn were using the spike pile driver way after that.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
What are some great Rey matches to check out? I recently watched his match with Psychosis at Bash 1996 and was curious to see some more of him in his prime since he was loving amazing back then and I haven't seen many of his older matches.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Vince was one of the best at making sure everyone knew everything that was supposed to be important (in no small part because he was the person deciding that, but still), which makes him an average commentator at worst if you decide he is the worst ever at everything else.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

ParanoidInc posted:

What are some great Rey matches to check out? I recently watched his match with Psychosis at Bash 1996 and was curious to see some more of him in his prime since he was loving amazing back then and I haven't seen many of his older matches.

He has some terrific ones with Eddie Guerrero (Halloween Havoc '96 I think?) and Chris Jericho. Also there's some great ones in ECW also against Psychosis.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aesop Poprock posted:

I usually depends on the layout of the place but when it comes to bigger shows (as in bigger than house or indy) that's generally the case, yeah.

Rad, glad my memory served good purpose for a change! This is American Airlines Arena in Miami, which is where I think the Heat play, so should be fairly sizeable. Looking forward, my first large WWE show since Mania 29.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ParanoidInc posted:

Rey/Eddie Halloween Havoc 97 is legit one of the best matches of all time.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rad, glad my memory served good purpose for a change! This is American Airlines Arena in Miami, which is where I think the Heat play, so should be fairly sizeable. Looking forward, my first large WWE show since Mania 29.

I went to a RAW at the AAA and your seats should be excellent.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can anyone explain Ray Gonzales nwa championship?

He beat Jeff Jarrett at some random Mexico show for the title (officially recognized) but then aj styles beat Jarrett at a tna show and won the belt. Huh?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Can anyone explain Ray Gonzales nwa championship?

He beat Jeff Jarrett at some random Mexico show for the title (officially recognized) but then aj styles beat Jarrett at a tna show and won the belt. Huh?

The original match was the classic "Match happens at another promotion, so the NWA ref gets bumped, and a ref from the company the show is happening at makes the count" finish where the result gets overturned after the fact and makes everyone watching bitter and hate the NWA for being an awful garbage organization.

(Realistically it's to give the local hero a real win over the NWA Champion for the locals, but lets the guy the NWA like continue to tour as the jerk-rear end heel world champion and build to the next time that territory gets the NWA Champion touring, but I like my explanation better)

Apparently in 2015 the NWA un-overturned the finish, probably because $.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 19, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I always forget that the NWA still exists until something they've done this year gets mentioned. Then I look at their Wikipedia page and see that they have a million different titles and no one on the roster that I recognize. It blows my mind that they have continued to operate all this time.

EDIT: Quackenbush held their Junior title for 1,275 days :psyduck:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 19, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
All I know about the NWA is that they're home to America's greatest superstar, Big Daddy Yum Yum

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah he's not great but he does a good job of selling the idea that two men are in a direct athletic competition to see who is the better man and that we as audience members should be really impressed with that. He comes off as kind of hokey but genuine.

Nothing about the above is true with Raw's commentary today.

Here's another one, probably answered a dozen times in this thread--was there a particular pile driver that started the no-pile driver rule? I would have thought Austin/Owen, but Road Dogg and Gunn were using the spike pile driver way after that.

I don't think that there was a single piledriver that was responsible. The no spinal trauma rule came about after about 7 members of the WWE roster had to take significant amounts of time off for neck surgery. (Austin, Benoit, Angle, Christian, Edge, Rhyno and Test).

(Mind you, Angle opted for some weird surgery alternative where he was only on the shelf for 3 months and was likely a huge mistake).

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I always forget that the NWA still exists until something they've done this year gets mentioned. Then I look at their Wikipedia page and see that they have a million different titles and no one on the roster that I recognize. It blows my mind that they have continued to operate all this time.

EDIT: Quackenbush held their Junior title for 1,275 days :psyduck:

Title reigns like that more often than not are just cases of the NWA board forgetting that one of their 382 titles still exists and only booking it to be defended after 3 months when someone reminds them of the titles existence.

And if you want something really depressing, look through the time line of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Going from Lou Thesz and Buddy Rogers to Jack Brisco and Harley Race, to Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair, to Dan Severn and Naoya Ogawa, to Jeff Jarrett's vanity belt in TNA, to Adam Pearce and friends, to Rob Conway. People often say that the WWE has devalued its titles, but it's still nothing compared to the downward spiral of the NWA WHC.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't think that there was a single piledriver that was responsible. The no spinal trauma rule came about after about 7 members of the WWE roster had to take significant amounts of time off for neck surgery. (Austin, Benoit, Angle, Christian, Edge, Rhyno and Test).
See, I thought this too, but I also heard that the No Piledrivers rule came down in 2000, before most of those injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Halloween Jack posted:

See, I thought this too, but I also heard that the No Piledrivers rule came down in 2000, before most of those injuries.

It started as a soft ban where if they thought you were experienced enough to do/take a piledriver you were allowed to do it but then it eventually got to be only Undertaker and then after that no one.