Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

please upload the crash log and anything you remember about what was going on at the time to mantis, it'd be very helpful! crash logs are in the morgues directory, next to the saves directory - hitting # should send you in the right direction

also, nice av :)
Av as usual, not mine, and I perfectly remember what I was doing since I was fairly mad, let me now find the log and upload it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Oh and yeah some people were mentioning that I should play online, so that's what I'm doing now, I guess. Does it matter which server I'm on or something?

Just drop a link in the thread to your game (you can do this by opening another tab to the server and copying the link for your name) whenever you want anyone to watch you, or they might just wander in on their own anyway. Be prepared for (and be able to ignore) at least some level of backseating, though (and also copious amounts of peer pressure).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You probably have to be picking str every time if you want to have any access to spells at all.

I'm XL 13 and already have 23 str. Demigod stats rule.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

Just drop a link in the thread to your game (you can do this by opening another tab to the server and copying the link for your name) whenever you want anyone to watch you, or they might just wander in on their own anyway. Be prepared for (and be able to ignore) at least some level of backseating, though (and also copious amounts of peer pressure).
Backseating is the best part, I can make people mad by doing my own things. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:prepop: thanks floorgod

RNG has been really nice this game in general. demonspawn with early +5 ring of protection, black scales, powered by death and nightstalker(went makhleb, I am unstoppable)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, i've accomplished my goal and optional goal for this tournament (all banners at least at tier I, actually winning)

now to see if i can rack up my third win of all time before it ends :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kalstrams posted:

Av as usual, not mine, and I perfectly remember what I was doing since I was fairly mad, let me now find the log and upload it.

Ah, unfortunately that one's a known bug. Seems to be caused by shift-clicking in local tiles to drop items, very intermittently. Pretty recent, too, though I don't know what changes anyone's made to local tiles or item-dropping recently that could've caused it... I'll try to take another look in the near future and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tollymain posted:

well, i've accomplished my goal and optional goal for this tournament (all banners at least at tier I, actually winning)

now to see if i can rack up my third win of all time before it ends :v:

Go team Vashnido Voogy Vorolacs! (I have no idea what our clan name is)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Ah, unfortunately that one's a known bug. Seems to be caused by shift-clicking in local tiles to drop items, very intermittently. Pretty recent, too, though I don't know what changes anyone's made to local tiles or item-dropping recently that could've caused it... I'll try to take another look in the near future and see if I can figure out what's going on.
Thank you for your service! :patriot:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
congrats thalamas on their newfound goodplayerhood

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

:smuggo:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

which is goodplayer, every class? greatplayer is every class plus every background right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I swear to god, the game is harder online. I can't reach even the Ecumenical Temple.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think goodplayer is a certain number of wins. Greatplayer is every species?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Goodplayer is 10 wins, greatplayer is a win with every species, greaterplayer is IIRC a win with every background.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 19, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MP+9 Int+2 on GDA. Funny joke.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
 You clear your throat and prepare to recite.
 "What of the forces of darkness? Struck down for their..."
 Musuch Nikh is turned into a pillar of salt by the wrath of Zin!
 You kill Musuch Nikh!
What a poo poo panlord.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Tollymain posted:

Thanks! :D Now I've done it all and can stop playing for good! Got my first 15-rune. Cleared a Zig a while back. Yep. Sure have wrapped this game up.

Though, greatplayer does sound like it could be a fun challenge.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
after that you have greaterhuman, greaterhigh elf,

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

after that you have greaterhuman, greaterhigh elf,

Don't forget greaterpunchmummy.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Any advice for managing piety as a Cheibro?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Cool, got a TeAE off the ground, kill a sky beast leaving me four pieces of sweet purple meat. Maybe I'll get something good.
code:
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
Scrolls take you a little longer to read.
Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body.
You occasionally shout uncontrollably at your foes.
gently caress you sky beast.

Always eat the purple.

EDIT:
code:
 The big kobold is struck by lightning.
 The big kobold is almost dead.
 The lightning arcs! You are struck by lightning.
 Your corrosive artefact corrodes you! The lightning arcs!
 The big kobold is struck by lightning.
 You kill the big kobold!
 Vehumet accepts your kill.
Ha, didn't know my own Static Discharge could trigger the corrode effect.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 19, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
avoid using piety until a while after you hit six stars mostly

chei likes it when you kill things faster than you currently are, the faster the the better. chei piety does not decay

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Chei's other abilities are secretly better than slouch, most of the time, but a lot of people like slouch a lot

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Wore-IDed this ring before knowing "fragile" was a thing randarts could have. Lots of changes in the versions that have come out since I last played this a lot.

My character

My available Jewellery

What to do about this randart ring? MR+++ is pretty great, and evokable Invisibility is pretty great too, but I'm very fragile what with my only other resistances really being the result of an extremely lucky potion of mutation, so I don't know if I'd survive getting teleported next to a monster. I don't have any source of Stasis, nor do I have access to Cblink (despite like 14 books in a bookshop on D:4). I'd just hold off until I can get Stasis, but there's apparently no takebacks on this so I'd appreciate some advice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pun pundit posted:

What to do about this randart ring? MR+++ is pretty great, and evokable Invisibility is pretty great too, but I'm very fragile what with my only other resistances really being the result of an extremely lucky potion of mutation, so I don't know if I'd survive getting teleported next to a monster. I don't have any source of Stasis, nor do I have access to Cblink (despite like 14 books in a bookshop on D:4). I'd just hold off until I can get Stasis, but there's apparently no takebacks on this so I'd appreciate some advice.

Stasis is gone. Trash the ring, *tele is NASTY.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

Chei's other abilities are secretly better than slouch, most of the time, but a lot of people like slouch a lot

To add to this, temporal distortion can often times be as good as step from time, if not better while costing less

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

When is it safe to abandon Xom? Ever? Because this is going really well and I just found the +4 lajatang of the Orcish Mines {speed, rElec MR+ Str+2} and I don't wanna blow it.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Stoat posted:

When is it safe to abandon Xom? Ever? Because this is going really well and I just found the +4 lajatang of the Orcish Mines {speed, rElec MR+ Str+2} and I don't wanna blow it.

Get a little stronger and try to leave with a good set of mutations; it'll take a while for Xom to forget about you, and this will include a lot of bad mutation additions and good mutation removals. If you take Zin this isn't as much of an issue though.

Xom's still mostly just random during his wrath which includes both good and bad effects; he's just more pissy than usual. Basically just be ready for "bad mood" Xom in bad situations and have something ready to escape.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
My general understanding is that if you are prepared to play with Xom you are prepared to play with Xom wrath.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nevermind! Xom invited a lot of very angry titans to a party.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

pun pundit posted:

Wore-IDed this ring before knowing "fragile" was a thing randarts could have. Lots of changes in the versions that have come out since I last played this a lot.

My character

My available Jewellery

Already answered, but for future characters, you really don't need MR+++. It can absolutely make you safer in certain situations, especially you need really high MR to consistently resist marking in vaults, but one level of resistance is almost always enough. What species are you playing? If you're a deep elf, you also have a slight amount of innate MR (+4 per XL vs. standard of +3), so you especially don't need to stack it. Since you have the mutation, you're fine to just put on a plain ring of magic resistance if for some reason you think you need it. Guessing from your level rPois is probably the most helpful resistance to you at the moment, but rings of protection/evasion could be even better.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I play a deep elf. I have a robe of MR as the only branded robe I've found so far (and a randart ringmail with +5 int! ... and -Cast). Poison resistance will be very useful in snake pit if I live to go there. No rings of protection or evasion so far.

Last time I played Crawl a lot, spell hunger was reduced by spellcasting*intelligence, or something to that effect. How valuable is +Int to a caster these days?

vvv all right, I'll ditch the randart ring for +4 int until I need poison resist for something.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 19, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

pun pundit posted:

Last time I played Crawl a lot, spell hunger was reduced by spellcasting*intelligence, or something to that effect. How valuable is +Int to a caster these days?
Very. Not only will it decrease failure and hunger but also increase spell power. Stack that poo poo as high as you can go.

From the bots:
Spell power formula: (Spellcasting/2 + 2*avg school skill) * INT/10 * (1.5 ^ enhancer count)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Ice devils? After frost beasts and wolf/bear/yak packs. And why don't you like blunt weapons? Your character in Crawl is like 10 pixels high IF they're an image and not an @ sign. Appearance doesn't matter. You evoke polearms with V I think, or v if the other evokes wands.

Also I finally got past my recent string of Lair branch deaths by playing really safe, culminating in killing my nemesis the Lernaean hydra. (Also the last unique my team needed a kill for :toot:) Cruised to three runes, started clearing out Zot. Then remembered I could do some zigging for a couple more things I wanted, like more cMut. Got cocky and didn't play safe (I can totally take one more level for that enchant armour scroll to open up that trove) and died to a lowly slime creature with -20 corrosion. Oh well, I got some tzitzimitl kills for team ZeeZeeMeatls and like 45 team points in zig level clears.

I've also decided next tournament's team is going to be Gastronok Slug God of Free Hats or something like that.

Took it slow, took it steady, played smart. Won my very next game. That's the tourney win I committed myself to done, now it's time to get back to splatting GrEEs. I probably coasted on some absurd jewelry gifts from floorgod, but I'm okay with that. Killed another tzitzimitl for the team, too.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh god, this character is going so good, why ya' got to do this to me crawl?
code:
_r - the +18 shield of the gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5}
You know I can't resist this item that will get me killed!

EDIT: And dead before I can get the skill up to wear it. :(

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 19, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Never not use the gong.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
more MR means more not being banished to the loving abyss so, imo, stack that poo poo to the sky

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Shield of the Gong is especially superb for zigscumming, but yeah, never not wear the Gong.

And on a related note, killing entire packs of enemies with reflection is even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Trog just gifted me an artifact that's basically "broad axe of screaming at magic until it stops" (chop, noise, MR++), and I kind of can't force myself to stop using it.

Also, I found pearl dragon armor and immediately enchanted it up to +7 because I am impulsive and really desperate to get my first win before this tournament ends. :confuoot:

Edit Did I mention I have boots of running, too? :psyduck:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 19, 2016

• Locked thread