Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm like an old man when it comes to podcasts apps and can't figure out how to get one that just downloads episodes when I tell it to and does nothing automatically.

Like I'm pretty sure that's doable in Overcast but I just turn into an idiot when trying to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

I'm like an old man when it comes to podcasts apps and can't figure out how to get one that just downloads episodes when I tell it to and does nothing automatically.

Like I'm pretty sure that's doable in Overcast but I just turn into an idiot when trying to use it.
Yup, you can totally do that in Overcast. When looking at a podcast's lists of episodes, go to Settings then uncheck "Subscribe to All New Episodes" (and notifications too if you don't want them). Then you just tap on an episode title to download or stream it, depending on how you've got it set up.

Not sure if you can set this as the global default, but you can just make it a habit for any time there's a new show you want to start listening to.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahh I don't think I realized that was a per podcast setting and like 2 out of 10 still had it on. I think I'm good now, thanks!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

status posted:

I use that all the time. What's bad about it

Not elitist enough.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

beefnoodle posted:

Nobody makes an app that caters to some dumb podcast hoarder's special needs.

There is and you're a clueless idiot

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Zigmidge posted:

:jerkbag:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zigmidge posted:

:allears:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
any apps that can track my haircuts and allow me to upload over 200GB of podcast backlogs and send me real-time push notifs. re: the weather?? should i look into dashlane?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i've heard dashlane recently instituted a 100gb upload limit, sorry dude

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maduin posted:

any apps that can track my haircuts and allow me to upload over 200GB of podcast backlogs and send me real-time push notifs. re: the weather?? should i look into dashlane?

paprika is good for this

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I the only one who feels a lag when using gboard? It's not huge, but enough to put me off. That along with the autocorrect not firing as much (possibly related to the lag) and the image search not working properly when I tried to use it has essentially killed it for me. I've tried 4-5 different occasions and apps, and same result each time.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
NINTYPE 4 LYFE

1 finger swipe who invented this poo poo I need 2 fingers to express misself.

Gboard more like gbored.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Man remember when Goodreader was our answer to everything?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bro, Goodreader is still really good. All other PDF readers pale, and my academic wife tells me that it has one feature none others have - being able to email only highlighted or notated sections of a PDF, instead of sending the entire PDF.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bobfather posted:

Bro, Goodreader is still really good. All other PDF readers pale, and my academic wife tells me that it has one feature none others have - being able to email only highlighted or notated sections of a PDF, instead of sending the entire PDF.

Related to PDFs, if I want to load a few dozen PDFs onto an ipad and read them on a plane (no network connection), what's the best way to do this in TYOOL 2016? A couple years ago, it was google drive but you had to manually select each PDF to store locally instead of doing things in a batch operation.

Is there an app that does this in a user friendly manner yet? I got 3 dozen PDFs burning a hole in my PC's Downloads folder that need to be sync'd to the ipad.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

pmchem posted:

Related to PDFs, if I want to load a few dozen PDFs onto an ipad and read them on a plane (no network connection), what's the best way to do this in TYOOL 2016? A couple years ago, it was google drive but you had to manually select each PDF to store locally instead of doing things in a batch operation.

Is there an app that does this in a user friendly manner yet? I got 3 dozen PDFs burning a hole in my PC's Downloads folder that need to be sync'd to the ipad.

Zip them up, email them to yourself. Open the zip file using Goodreader, unzip it within Goodreader. Finished.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

bobfather posted:

I would pay for Goodreader all over again if I had to.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Or throw them in a folder on dropbox/drive/whatever and just sync the folder.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

All praise goodreader. Imagine Apple released Finder for the next iOS.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hallowed be thy name.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nevermind, I just found a free and easier way to do it. Dropped the PDFs into itunes, sync them over to ipad as books, open in iBooks. Locally saved on ipad and the reader is good. No email, $, etc., required. This is apparently a new thing compared to years ago in itunes/ibooks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Nevermind, I just found a free and easier way to do it. Dropped the PDFs into itunes, sync them over to ipad as books, open in iBooks. Locally saved on ipad and the reader is good. No email, $, etc., required. This is apparently a new thing compared to years ago in itunes/ibooks.

You'll be back.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I paid for good reader and I've never used it

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Same, but I think I used it once to download some long audio-only youtubes and listen to them since doing that through Safari was janky. Maybe someday I'll discover its hidden potential.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
pdfexpert dominates goodreader if you're not a loving crazy person who needs like whatever 3 ridiculously obscure features goodreader can do and just need to read/markup pdfs.

I say this as a humanities phd student, so you know i'm reading like 70000 pdfs a year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

pdfexpert dominates goodreader if you're not a loving crazy person who needs like whatever 3 ridiculously obscure features goodreader can do and just need to read/markup pdfs.

I say this as a humanities phd student, so you know i'm reading like 70000 pdfs a year.

As a not-student, I agree with PDF Expert for PDF annotation. Especially with the Pro + Pencil. I got the OS X version too, but I almost never use it. It's always so much easier to fire it up on the iPad Pro, but it is nice that it will use iCloud, so my annotation are available on my rMB.

I'm not going through your volume, but I do deal with a fairly hefty amount of PDFs.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is it possible to record video and have the recording stored on the cloud and not on the device?

Then, is it possible to record while the app is not open?

And would it be possible to control playback of other things while the app is recording?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

maduin posted:

I bought good reader my first semester of my masters and switched to PDF expert the second and never looked back. So much better.

Curious about Mendeley vs PDF expert though. It seems like it could be perfect for research. I'm going to use it for some of my independent studies I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is it possible to record video and have the recording stored on the cloud and not on the device?

Then, is it possible to record while the app is not open?

And would it be possible to control playback of other things while the app is recording?

To the first one, yes BUT I've no idea how the process for this works, you can set iOS devices to only store low resolution versions of stuff on your device until the full version is needed but iOS does this "automatically" and I don't think there's any way of manually doing it.

To the second, nope.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

I bought good reader my first semester of my masters and switched to PDF expert the second and never looked back. So much better.

Curious about Mendeley vs PDF expert though. It seems like it could be perfect for research. I'm going to use it for some of my independent studies I guess.

I actually use Papers for organizing my own research. I looked at Mendeley when I first started my program and actually forget why I ended up choosing Papers over it, but it syncs with Dropbox (this might be why I chose Papers), has both an iOS and Mac app, and has worked great for me in the couple years I've been using it.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

I’ve been trying to find a Goodreader upgrade for a while. Does PDF expert allow (1) custom color highlights where I can define the color rather than picking from a preset list, (2) Dropbox folder syncing, and (3) highlighting the actual text (rather than a “marker” over the top)?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

letthemreadprose posted:

I’ve been trying to find a Goodreader upgrade for a while. Does PDF expert allow (1) custom color highlights where I can define the color rather than picking from a preset list, (2) Dropbox folder syncing, and (3) highlighting the actual text (rather than a “marker” over the top)?

1) Eh, it's pre-set palette of 16 colors + 1 black + 1 grey + 1 "white". The desktop version allows custom hues.

2) Yes. If you have OS X, the native iCloud is superior. But you can use Dropbox or Box for syncing as well.

3) Yes? (not sure what "marker over the top" means). It looks like a physical hi-lighter would on a paper document.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The joke's on you. There is no such thing as a GoodReader upgrade. Just a more expensive side grade that they charge you for again every time there's a major iOS update.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How do I edit a rtf file that's on my Dropbox? I have good reader and can't figure it out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Housh posted:

How do I edit a rtf file that's on my Dropbox? I have good reader and can't figure it out.

Download it, open it as a text file, click the pencil icon at the bottom, save your changes and then reupload it.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

flosofl posted:

1) Eh, it's pre-set palette of 16 colors + 1 black + 1 grey + 1 "white". The desktop version allows custom hues.

2) Yes. If you have OS X, the native iCloud is superior. But you can use Dropbox or Box for syncing as well.

3) Yes? (not sure what "marker over the top" means). It looks like a physical hi-lighter would on a paper document.

If you highlight in Adobe Reader/Preview, some PDF readers can search the text of those annotations specifically. A couple PDF apps have highlighters which make an image layer on top of the text rather than annotating the text itself (which is of course what happens in real paper highlighting, but also can’t be searched).

I ended up buying this, and (on the off chance someone else has the same weird question): PDF Expert does handle highlighting such that they can be searched and the syncing is great. Thanks for the suggestion!

letthemreadprose fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 21, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

bobfather posted:

Download it, open it as a text file, click the pencil icon at the bottom, save your changes and then reupload it.
Yeah. It only worked after I renamed it a TXT file. Then I had to edit it with the RTF markup, rename the extension, and upload.

That's kinda lovely. Wish I could natively edit RTF in Goodreader.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Quantum of Phallus posted:

To the first one, yes BUT I've no idea how the process for this works, you can set iOS devices to only store low resolution versions of stuff on your device until the full version is needed but iOS does this "automatically" and I don't think there's any way of manually doing it.

To the second, nope.

This seems related, so I'll piggy-back on here. I was just reading this morning about an android app that will automatically record an hour of a/v in the background, then dump it if it's not manually saved. There's no iOS version of that particular app, but is there anything that will even come close to that functionality?

Failing that, any way to keep a fairly persistent audio-log running on an iPhone? Or is the solution to just buy a pocket-recorder?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh yeah you can just use the voice memo app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Mind sharing that Android app?