Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Really feeling like they didn't adjust the efficiency of the number enough. At this rate they'll never get around to fixing the parameter either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

At one point I ran into a great shield guy so I switched to my other new weapon, a +9 heavy man serpent hatchet, so I attacked through his shield and did 44 damage :/

For the man serpent hatchet, you only get the shield ignoring R2s while you're buffed with warcry.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I really can't wrap my head around this either. Look at The Elder Scrolls, another really popular medieval combat franchise. Each of those games are like 100+ years apart and take place is different areas. But obviously, because they are from the same company and exist in the same universe, they are related. A sword existing in all three of the games is not a "reference", it's just something that happens. People talking about someone throughout games is not a "fan service", it's the way history actually works. You talk about things from the past.

I get that Anor Londo being in both games is off-putting to some people. But are people seriously mad that a smith character from game 1 is a corpse in game 3? Like does that upset your sensibilities? Do you think that's pandering to some strawman plebe gamer or something? Before I played any of these games I knew all about Solaire just from seeing memes, and yet the only reference to him is his armor. Not like the exact character is back doing the same things as in DS1. The whole theme of the game is cycles, why wouldn't stuff from the first game make an appearance.

It's like a rock band putting out a great album, and then putting out another rock album in the same style. Of course it's going to have core similarities, it's the same band. Doesn't mean they're "pandering" to their fan base, it's just their style.

the elder scroll comparison is good, because TES games always starts you of as nameless prisorner who is set on some quest just like DS nameless undead and both games feature recurring items, lore etc. But What I and others don't like about DS3 is it does it with far more than just items and lore tidbits. DS3 have a lot of areas that are more or less directly lifted from DS1, to do a fanservice thing. After the tutorial you go to a castle zone with a dragon on a bridge -remember this from ds1! then you go to an undead settlement - remember this from DS1. Then you go in to a building, in its basement is a recurring miniboss in a room with pillars, that leads to the forrest road, this time it's an outrider knight, in DS1 it was a titanite demon. After going down the road you come to some open forrest area, where a pvp covenant guards the area - instead of joining it by talking to a cat, you no pray to a wolf that sleeps in front of Artorias grave - remember that forrest area from DS1, now it's a swamp and the cat is gone also instead of big cats guarding items, we now have big crabs. And it just goes on and on with these overly fanservice areas.
DS3 is at it's best when it doesn't try to directly lift areas from DS1 and give them a small twist, but for me, there are just to many areas lifted from DS1.

EDIT: Though the best reference is how you once again have to fight 4 similar demon bosses, everybody loved that in DS1 and now it's back!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Apologies if this is a scrub-tier question but i couldn't find anything from googling. Does invading reduce your future likelihood of getting co-op signs? Whenever i get my ember from a successful invade I never seem to find anyone to coop with later. But when I use an ember, often maybe a minute later, I get them straight away. Plus my invade character seems to only be able to have one friend along at a time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't like the callbacks that feel very in-your-face but seriously it's not ruining the game or anything. Call backs are just a sort of thing you either love or hate and move on past to see the next original piece the game has.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

Apologies if this is a scrub-tier question but i couldn't find anything from googling. Does invading reduce your future likelihood of getting co-op signs? Whenever i get my ember from a successful invade I never seem to find anyone to coop with later. But when I use an ember, often maybe a minute later, I get them straight away. Plus my invade character seems to only be able to have one friend along at a time.

No it doesn't affect at all, but your level and weapon upgrade might, if you keep yourself low leveled and with low upgrades. But DS3 matchmaking is wonky as gently caress, just see all the problems with the autosummon covenants

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Digirat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5arG25q70

That'll teach him to glide around imposingly.

The host sat back doing nothing. 1/10 would not co-op again. Unless he's doing pyromancies that are invisible due to the gliding bug?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ap_t_PZ8

I had a good laugh at this and will think of it the next time there's a "viability of Sorcery builds" debate :lol:.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"Do not fall for the leveling intellegence meme"

Lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I didn't give a poo poo about the npcs, whether helpful or invaders, in de/1/2 but did do all the quests in this one using a walkthrough. Is there a breakdown somewhere of who carries over between games?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Atreiden posted:

the elder scroll comparison is good, because TES games always starts you of as nameless prisorner who is set on some quest just like DS nameless undead and both games feature recurring items, lore etc. But What I and others don't like about DS3 is it does it with far more than just items and lore tidbits. DS3 have a lot of areas that are more or less directly lifted from DS1, to do a fanservice thing. After the tutorial you go to a castle zone with a dragon on a bridge -remember this from ds1! then you go to an undead settlement - remember this from DS1. Then you go in to a building, in its basement is a recurring miniboss in a room with pillars, that leads to the forrest road, this time it's an outrider knight, in DS1 it was a titanite demon. After going down the road you come to some open forrest area, where a pvp covenant guards the area - instead of joining it by talking to a cat, you no pray to a wolf that sleeps in front of Artorias grave - remember that forrest area from DS1, now it's a swamp and the cat is gone also instead of big cats guarding items, we now have big crabs. And it just goes on and on with these overly fanservice areas.
DS3 is at it's best when it doesn't try to directly lift areas from DS1 and give them a small twist, but for me, there are just to many areas lifted from DS1.

EDIT: Though the best reference is how you once again have to fight 4 similar demon bosses, everybody loved that in DS1 and now it's back!

Holy poo poo you are dumb

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

According to the ever-correct and accurate wiki when you make sirris into an enemy (offering tongues to rosaria) she becomes a hostile npc in undead settlement. I have scoured every inch of that area and I can't find her. Where is she and do I need to kill a boss first to trigger it?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Atreiden posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

I spotted another From failure, both games start with castles

Unoriginal hacks, amirite

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Mentioned last page was reds hurting other reds. Ok but what about sun bro reds? Can other reds hurt them, or maybe even sun bro v sun bro? Just curious. I figure red on red was something for the sake of duels/fight club type stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Atreiden posted:

the elder scroll comparison is good, because TES games always starts you of as nameless prisorner who is set on some quest just like DS nameless undead and both games feature recurring items, lore etc. But What I and others don't like about DS3 is it does it with far more than just items and lore tidbits. DS3 have a lot of areas that are more or less directly lifted from DS1, to do a fanservice thing. After the tutorial you go to a castle zone with a dragon on a bridge -remember this from ds1!

:eyepop: just going on record that I don't like callbacks but what you're calling callbacks area really drat loose. Next you'll be saying the Lava/Ice zone tropes are direct rips from other souls game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what's the deal with the flying things in lothric castle? what are they?

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

what's the deal with the flying things in lothric castle? what are they?

They're the hollows turning into trees back from the first area. Who the hell knows what their significance is though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
1.07 server patch tomorrow http://www.darksouls.jp/information.html
- Greatshields adjusted
- Sorcery FP consumption adjusted (most likely upwards because it's so cheap compared to pyro)
- Dragonslayer Axe, Crescent Axe, Darkdrift, Washing Pole, Moonlight Goonsword adjusted
- Reapers adjusted towards sucking less, shield penetration rates and ATK going up
- Stamina costs of some weapons going up
- Bluebro covenant matchmaking improvisations promises again
- Improvisations of passworded matchmaking (maybe that it fails less)
- Other work done towards balancing and network errors

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Have they fixed poise yet?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

haha sorry I don't like DS3 having almost the exact same progression as DS1, in terms of layouts, with a poo poo load of callbacks.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I just got to Twin Princes on my pyro build before I remembered you can upgrade the pyro flame catalyst. :downs:

edit: It should be noted that I'm 25/25 int/fth and fire hits pretty decently even without an upgraded catalyst. Dragonslayer Armor went down in like 6-8 casts of Vestiges of Chaos

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I liked dark souls 3, was I wrong and stupid? :ohdear:

heh look at this chumplord :roflolmao:

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 19, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

No it's a great game. People getting worked up about others having different opinions about the souls series and feeling the need to call other people stupid, might need to step back and remember it's just a game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Spells aside, is a mage build worth it for the MLGS?

no. it's also at the end of the game, so you'd have to do the dancer and oceiros early if you want to use it much before ng+

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Atreiden posted:

No it's a great game. People getting worked up about others having different opinions about the souls series and feeling the need to call other people stupid, might need to step back and remember it's just a game.

You really are dumb as hell goddamn

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

You really are dumb as hell goddamn

I like this thread, so far I have been called dumb for liking DS2 more than DS3, Liking the lore in DS2 more, criticising DS3 and just not agreeing with others on what is good and what is bad.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Atreiden posted:

I like this thread, so far I have been called dumb for liking DS2 more than DS3, Liking the lore in DS2 more, criticising DS3 and just not agreeing with others on what is good and what is bad.

Nobody cares what you like or don't like, everybody's entitled to their opinion and all that poo poo

For instance, I don't give a gently caress for PvP, never will, so Bloodborne's lack of it is pretty much not a negative for me; and likewise, I'm not really bothered by PvP issues in DS3, although it was the most fun I've ever had with Souls multiplayer. I recognize that I'm not exactly in the majority about that, at least in this thread, but I don't have to be.

It's just that your justifications are rather strange and easy to make fun of. Maybe have a closer look first

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anal Surgery posted:

I just got to Twin Princes on my pyro build before I remembered you can upgrade the pyro flame catalyst. :downs:

edit: It should be noted that I'm 25/25 int/fth and fire hits pretty decently even without an upgraded catalyst. Dragonslayer Armor went down in like 6-8 casts of Vestiges of Chaos

25/25 is a lot, pretty much endgame level. You can cast all pyromancies and, well basically think of it like 50 pure INT or FTH.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Atreiden posted:

Wow people sure are calling you dumb a lot!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What does the Dragon Torso Stone do besides make you look ridiculous?

Also any suggestions for Aldrich? I feel like i'm doing gently caress all damage and chasing him around is a pain.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So regarding the batwing demons transporting you to Undead Settlement that everyone hates - is it really nonsensical? In the first game they saw fit to transport the chosen undead to somewhere they couldn't reach on foot and they did the same thing in DS3. They're mentioned as being chaos demons but we still have no idea who they serve and why. They clearly have an interest in prolonging the age of fire and help you to that end. Or maybe they just serve the Serpents and like loving with you.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Also any suggestions for Aldrich? I feel like i'm doing gently caress all damage and chasing him around is a pain.

He is fairly weak to lightning, if you got the dragonslayer axe from Sirris questline that weapon works pretty well and can be buffed with lightning resin. Same with the lothric knight UGS you can buy from Grairat.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Deified Data posted:

So regarding the batwing demons transporting you to Undead Settlement that everyone hates - is it really nonsensical? In the first game they saw fit to transport the chosen undead to somewhere they couldn't reach on foot and they did the same thing in DS3. They're mentioned as being chaos demons but we still have no idea who they serve and why. They clearly have an interest in prolonging the age of fire and help you to that end. Or maybe they just serve the Serpents and like loving with you.
It was about as nonsensical as in the first game. First game though it was an excellent way of showing off Anor Londo for your first time while in DS3 you pretty much can see where you're going already.

Atreiden posted:

He is fairly weak to lightning, if you got the dragonslayer axe from Sirris questline that weapon works pretty well and can be buffed with lightning resin. Same with the lothric knight UGS you can buy from Grairat.
I'm using that very same axe at +6 and it just feels like it's not doing enough. In that case though I must be messing up his pattern since for the first phase he just teleports away once I get to him and I don't get a second hit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Golden Goat posted:

What does the Dragon Torso Stone do besides make you look ridiculous?

increases fire abs.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Deified Data posted:

In DS1 they took you to anor londo and was an enemy type there, showing some connection. In DS3 they show up on a random bridge never to be seen again.

Golden Goat posted:

I'm using that very same axe at +6 and it just feels like it's not doing enough. In that case though I must be messing up his pattern since for the first phase he just teleports away once I get to him and I don't get a second hit.

+6 should be fine, it sounds like you got unlucky with his IA more than anything. Normally you can get a couple of hits on his tail each time he teleports to a new location. But try the UGS if you consistently can only get one hit in.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ap_t_PZ8

I had a good laugh at this and will think of it the next time there's a "viability of Sorcery builds" debate :lol:.

This is awesome.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Atreiden posted:

I hear the Dark Souls manga is better than the anime and if you disagree then you're bad and not a real fan. Is this true?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Golden Goat posted:

Have they fixed poise yet?

They won't fix poise because they've been called out on a mistake, and it's standard Japanese developer response to deny-deny-deny. They can't acknowledge that they were wrong, or worse - lying, now. It's the exact same situation as the DS2 durability bug (which was also "working as intended").

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

RanKizama posted:

I hear the Dark Souls manga is better than the anime and if you disagree then you're bad and not a real fan. Is this true?
the dub owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

RanKizama posted:

yes