Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Comstar posted:

Looks like the Liberals are hitting the panic button and are doing everything they can to get the QLD and to lesser extent NSW vote - if they can hang on there, they think they'll win.

It's too early in the campaign though, 2-3 weeks too early, they are rattled.

The liberals are going to win. If QLD doesn't go red it's all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Death to the SDA.

quote:

Hamburgled: McDonald's, Coles, Woolworths workers lose in union pay deals

May 19, 2016 - 7:07PM
Ben Schneiders, Nick Toscano, Royce Millar

Burger giant McDonald's is underpaying its Australian workers tens of millions of dollars a year under a cosy deal struck with Labor's largest union affiliate that excludes weekend penalty rates.

A Fairfax Media investigation has found the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA) negotiated a 2013 agreement under which some McDonald's employees are paid nearly one-third less than the award – the minimum pay and conditions safety net.

Nationwide, workers at McDonald's – Australia's second largest employer – appear to be out of pocket by at least $50 million a year. Those affected include young workers who earn as little as $10.08 an hour.

The findings are based on hundreds of payslips, obtained by Fairfax Media, and the leaking of an entire store's roster that shows 63 per cent of workers at a large Sydney outlet are paid less than the award.

Brigid Forrester until recently worked up to four shifts a week at a McDonald's store in Perth, including Sunday evenings from 4pm to 10pm. She did not get penalty rates.

"The weekends were tiring, terrible shifts to work," she said. "I would always joke with people about how bad our pay was, but I was struggling to pay rent, and I have to pay for petrol and for parking at university."

Sub-standard deals done by the famously employer-friendly union may be responsible for up to half a million workers in the wider fast food and retail sectors losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

The union is separately locked in a similar controversy surrounding its deal with Coles – the nation's third largest employer. The supermarket chain has since admitted tens of thousands of its casual workers have been underpaid.

The union's agreement with the country's biggest employer, Woolworths, is almost identical to the Coles deal.

News of the underpayments comes at an uncomfortable time for Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, who has made the defence of penalty rates a key part of his election campaign, saying this week "only a Labor government can be trusted to protect our penalty rates system".

SDA insiders have expressed concerns to Fairfax Media about a string of sub-award deals sanctioned by the union leadership in recent years.

It comes amid mounting concern about deteriorating workplace standards and the scandals around 7-Eleven and the exploitation of temporary foreign workers.

The Fairfax analysis of the McDonald's pay deal was done in conjunction with Josh Cullinan, a senior official at the National Tertiary Education Union, working in a personal capacity, whose research unearthed the Coles scandal.

"While debate rages about penalty rates it ought be remembered that hundreds of thousands of workers have already had their penalty rates stripped by these bad agreements which should never have been approved," said Mr Cullinan.

The McDonald's national agreement, struck in 2013, contains no weekend penalty rates and restricts late-night rates to a 10 per cent loading from 1am to 5am.

Under the national fast-food industry award, penalty rates of 25 per cent apply on Saturday and 50 per cent on Sunday (75 per cent for casuals), as well as higher night shift loadings from 9pm to 5am.

McDonald's has a mainly young, often female, workforce. It is well known internationally for its antipathy to unions, and has few other union agreements across its vast empire. It is under pressure internationally over pay and conditions.

The SDA, the country's largest private sector union, is renowned for its close relationship with employers and its conservative, Catholic, social agenda, including opposition to same sex marriage.

The McDonald's agreement has delivered the SDA thousands of new and potential members, which bolster its clout inside the ALP and, therefore, in debates on social/moral issues.

Under the McDonald's/SDA deal, workers mostly receive slightly higher hourly wages than the award, but not enough to cover the penalties most of those who do any night or weekend work would otherwise receive.

An analysis of the roster for McDonald's Cremorne store in Sydney, and pay details of 170 non-managerial staff shows that the worst-off employees almost always worked some weekend or night shifts. Combined, the underpaid workers at the store were $107,000 a year worse off than under the award.

"The analysis shows beyond doubt that two in three workers are worse off," said Mr Cullinan. "It doesn't matter if they are young or old, if they are casual or non-casual. They are all worse off."

McDonalds spokesman Chris Grant said it was "wrong" to suggest McDonalds underpaid its workers.

He said the union deal provided a higher base pay rates across the entire week "as opposed to penalty rates that only apply to limited timeframes", and included benefits beyond the award, such as better leave and annual pay increases. "We are a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week business and our employees tell us they love the flexible working hours we provide."

The McDonald's agreement was approved in 2013 by the Fair Work Commission. Under the Fair Work Act, agreements are meant to leave workers "better off overall" when compared to the award.

Working closely, the SDA and McDonald's were able to largely skip around that legal requirement by signing the agreement in mid-2013 and measuring it largely against archaic state awards.

That locked in much lower wages for a four-year period, conservatively saving McDonald's $200 million.

The Coles underpayment row is likely to be resolved in coming weeks with the full bench of the Fair Work Commission set to rule on a challenge by Mr Cullinan to the Coles/SDA agreement, which covers 77,000 workers.

That challenge has also delayed talks between the union and Woolworths over a new workplace agreement.

SDA national secretary Gerard Dwyer disputed the findings of the Fairfax analysis and said McDonald's workers had voted for "significantly higher base rates of pay" to compensate for the lack of penalty rates.

"In the vast majority of cases, this leaves the worker better off overall," he said. "McDonald's workers are among the best paid fast food workers in the world."

Woolworths spokeswoman Claire Kimball defended its existing agreement, stressing it had been approved by the Fair Work Commission. She confirmed Woolworths was "monitoring" the Coles case.

The Fair Work Commission at the time said it was satisfied requirements for approval of the McDonald's 2013 agreement had been met, and that the company had provided indicative work hours and pay rates to show workers were better off. The SDA did not challenge its approval.

A spokeswoman for for the commission said it had made important improvements over the past year to the way it manages agreement applications.

The Fair Work Commission has done a lot of work in the past 12 months to improve both the timeliness and certainty of agreement applications," she said.

"We have also published a large number of resource materials on the website to assist parties when negotiating agreements."

e: f,b

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I should really have a closer look at my contract, I think the shoppies were in charge of it and it's kind of odd.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Also gently caress Di Natale, you got to be smarter than that at his level. A lot of peoples' well-being depends on the Greens getting a decent chunk of the vote to block some of the shittier policies proposed by the major parties and they can't afford the Greens to be loving up simple poo poo like that.

All parties are equally guilty of this, but it's amazingly dumb. Given the amount of "preparation" I was given to understand from the last 8 months at least, you'd think he'd have ordered everyone to get their house in order.

Anidav posted:

The liberals are going to win. If QLD doesn't go red it's all over.

Put your life savings on it and show us how it's done, genius.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm glad Mad As Hell came back, I was under the impression it had been cancelled.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

ewe2 posted:

you'd think he'd have ordered everyone to get their house in order.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The AFP are raiding Conroy and Clare's offices for embarrassing Malcolm with the NBN cost blowout leaks

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

:lol:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/19/australian-federal-police-raid-labor-party-offices-in-melbourne

quote:

Australian Federal Police raid Labor party offices over alleged NBN leaks

Raids on offices including Senator Stephen Conroy’s are understood to be in relation to alleged leaking of National Broadband Network documents

Australian Federal Police are raiding the parliamentary offices of Labor MP Stephen Conroy in Melbourne.

Guardian Australia understands the AFP are conducting an ongoing operation in relation to an alleged unauthorised disclosure of information investigation as part of documents relating to the National Broadband Network.

Guardian Australia also understands a separate office is being raided in Melbourne in relation to one of Jason Clare’s staffers.

Labor frontbencher Tony Burke confirmed on ABC’s 7.30 program that raids were taking place.

“There are allegations floating around about documents that were leaked from the NBN,” he said,

“There’s no doubt the leaks that came from the NBN caused immense damage, immense damage to Malcolm Turnbull when they showed the cost blowout of the NBN, the fact it was slower and going to be delayed.

“The thing that I also know with this is during the life of this parliament, on 23 different occasions we’ve asked about leaks from all parts of this government, right through to the National Security Committee of cabinet.

“The night before the budget government staffers were handing out cabinet in confidence documents around the press gallery. I don’t know how many of those inquiries have resulted in police raids. I don’t know how many times they’ve been referred to the AFP.”

The AFP released a statement on Tuesday night confirming it was “conducting operational activity in Melbourne this evening”.

“As this activity is related to an ongoing investigation, it is not appropriate to comment any further at this stage,” the statement said.

They all but confirm it's because someone embarrassed Turdball.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

thatbastardken posted:

He declared the property twice and paid the au pairs above minimum wage, really not sure what the deal is.

Quoting this because I too dont see what the deal is.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Also gently caress Di Natale, you got to be smarter than that at his level. A lot of peoples' well-being depends on the Greens getting a decent chunk of the vote to block some of the shittier policies proposed by the major parties and they can't afford the Greens to be loving up simple poo poo like that.

ewe2 posted:

All parties are equally guilty of this, but it's amazingly dumb. Given the amount of "preparation" I was given to understand from the last 8 months at least, you'd think he'd have ordered everyone to get their house in order.

Yeah, I got to agree here. I'd still much rather have Di Natale in office than anyone in LNP or ALP, but this makes me mad that he'd leave that kind of an opening when he's so high on the Greens totem pole. Being better than the average politician is not a high bar to clear at all.

Even if there's no corrupt motive at all, just a simple mistake, or making himself look bad by sticking too closely to the bare technicalities, I really think the Greens should hold themselves to higher standards to set an example. If we were happy to jump all over that Labor MP for making such a big declaration "mistake" it would make us look pretty drat stupid and hypocritical to suddenly look the other way for Di Natale just cause we like him more.

I don't know if I'd want him to resign necessarily... no matter whether he did or not, I think the exact same amount of damage would be done and most people would've already made up their minds on how this affects their view of the Greens. It just makes me really mad that it has to be dealt with at all in the first place.

Scotty better never break my heart. :smith:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
so i clicked on this thread for some reason

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm glad Mad As Hell came back, I was under the impression it had been cancelled.

glad i did

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ler posted:

Quoting this because I too dont see what the deal is.

Am I just having a failure of reading comprehension tonight, I thought it said he declared only one of two properties, then instead of ever declaring the farm, he transferred it to someone else's name 15 months later?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Seems like this "leak" and the AFP raid line up awfully perfect.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Bifauxnen posted:

Am I just having a failure of reading comprehension tonight, I thought it said he declared only one of two properties, then instead of ever declaring the farm, he transferred it to someone else's name 15 months later?

The Twin Gums farm is listed on his register of interests from August 2014 as a joint income

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm less disappointed by the fact this happened (if it's even a thing, it's a little more confusing than I can be bothered following) than by the fact it's going to really hurt the Greens.

And you just know that this is going to stick far harder than similar or greater stories from the L-parties.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The houses of 20 NBN staffers have been raided by the AFP throughout the day as well.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

adamantium|wang posted:

The houses of 20 NBN staffers have been raided by the AFP throughout the day as well.

Obviously a clear warning to others not to leak anything that might hurt the chances of the LNP.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

adamantium|wang posted:

Wow that's going to kill morale there, if they have any. Work for the NBN and be hang drawn and quartered when the Liberals are made to look slightly bad.

20 means they haven't got a clue who with access did it and are just grabbing everyone and looking for anything they can use to incriminate someone for something on their hard drive.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Comstar posted:

Wow that's going to kill morale there, if they have any. Work for the NBN and be hang drawn and quartered when the Liberals are made to look slightly bad.

20 means they haven't got a clue who with access did it and are just grabbing everyone and looking for anything they can use to incriminate someone for something on their hard drive.

They probably got a shortlist of suspected leftists from a manager and are using that as a guide.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
So tomorrow's papers will have Dodgy Labor, Dodgy Greens and Labor is breaking the law so the Feds were called in.

I'm guessing the Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Outlook report due tomorrow is really, really bad and they are trying to bury it .

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

They probably got a shortlist of suspected leftists from a manager and are using that as a guide.

come on mate, if asio aren't the ones making insane lists what else are they there for

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

edit: wrong thread

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Spot the amendment in Fairfax's story on di Natale:

quote:

And Senator Di Natale has paid three au pairs to help with his family as little as $150 a week after tax, or $3.75 an hour - based on a standard 40-hour week - as well as room and board worth $300 a week.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Di Natale story is bullshit, they weren't au pairs

they were interns

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think the Libs and Murdoch media are trying to create mud for the election cycle to swim in.

It all seems to be designed to bury the outrage at Dutton's comments.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Alicedkc/status/731001424318857216

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I don't love that our sexy Greens saviour has loving au pairs, but the facts in the story are made for maximum beat up to get to that $150 / 40 hours = $3.75 an hour number all the usual labor suspects are now crowing on about.

That's based off a full working week of 40 hours when the spokesman states working hours were approx 25 hours per week. But more annoyingly for this tax nerd is all the references to after-tax income. They were paid $187 per week, with $37 going to the ATO on their behalf. That's still part of your wages full stop. So $187 + $300 offset for food and boarding = $487 / 25 = $19.48, minimum wage is currently $17.29 (cant be arsed to check if there is an au pair award)

The paying $300 of their wages for food and boarding I won't defend though, partly because I don't like it but also that I'm not at all familiar with the norms of that type of work.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It is absolutely normal for au pairs to receive free food and board as part of living with the employing family, and I took it that the $300 was a figure Fairfax arrived at, separate from their other income.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

freebooter posted:

Spot the amendment in Fairfax's story on di Natale:

And according to an ABC report, Di Natalie says he declared the property twice when he was elected leader. Should be easy to check. But that's not the point of the story, is it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The damage has been done. Now on to the next story!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/DavidParis/status/733292822099460101

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Doesn't BDO work on the NBN?

Stay safe brick dust ghost

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

ewe2 posted:

And according to an ABC report, Di Natalie says he declared the property twice when he was elected leader. Should be easy to check. But that's not the point of the story, is it.

The point is RDN is defending abusing out lovely IR laws to pay his live in nannies $150 a week, after charging them $300 a week to live on one of his million dollar properties. Just because it's technically legal doesn't make it ethical or in accordance with core Greens values.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

turdbucket posted:

The point is RDN is defending abusing out lovely IR laws to pay his live in nannies $150 a week, after charging them $300 a week to live on one of his million dollar properties. Just because it's technically legal doesn't make it ethical or in accordance with core Greens values.

I doubt they were forced to live on the farm, and per the article, all the money decisions were made on professional advice.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I guess the only pollie worth voting for now is Ricky Muir.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/Kieran_Gilbert/status/733401756688736256

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

I guess the only pollie worth voting for now is Ricky Muir dicks on the ballot.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Snitches get stitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Snitches dig ditches, to lay copper cable (and fibre when able).

A poem by M. Turnbull

• Locked thread